The Avengers Initiative (a.k.a Phase 1) was a secret project created by S.H.I.E.L.D. to create the Avengers, a collection of the most able individuals to defend Earth from imminent global threats; these individuals functioning as a response team to said threats that are which too great for the forces of mankind to handle.
The Initiative was scrapped by the World Security Council after the alien incursion in New Mexico in favor of a weapons development program known as Phase 2. It was eventually reactivated in 2012 during the Chitauri Invasion.
While S.H.I.E.L.D. was devoting a majority of its resources into the building of the Triskelion, Director Nick Fury used finances to observe individuals who possibly had super powers, sending agents to investigate these individuals and have them placed on the Index for later encounters. In 2008, Agents Phil Coulson and Melinda May discussed this "initiative" enacted by Fury as they went to Manama, Bahrain to investigate Eva Belyakov.
Tony Stark went home after he publicly announced he was Iron Man, only to find Nick Fury already there. Fury went to find Stark to inform him that there was an entire world of incredible people, just like him, and of the Avengers Initiative.
After meeting with Jasper Sitwell in a cafe, Phil Coulson informed him that the World Security Council had accepted the Avengers Initiative, but had ordered the Abomination to join the team roster, as they were blaming Hulk for the destruction in New York City. They ended up sending Tony Stark to meet with General Ross and convinced him to refuse Abomination's admission into the project, as well as attempted to recruit Hulk into the team.
Closing the Project
The Search for Captain America
Sixty-five years after Captain America's crash landing, a S.H.I.E.L.D. team led by Fury searched for his body. A fan of the Captain, Coulson, was also part of this small team. The team searched for two years to find Rogers' body. When they finally found him, they defrosted him and then shipped his body to New York City.
When Rogers arrived in New York City, he was kept in a simulated 1942 environment to try to ease him into what was happening.
When he awoke, he quickly realized it was not real and escaped into the streets of a 2011 New York City. In Times Square, Rogers encountered Fury who told him that he's been "asleep" for nearly seventy years. Rogers then realized that many of his old friends were very likely dead, including his love interest, Peggy Carter.
Testing The Database
- "We're running the world's greatest covert security network and you're gonna leave the fate of human race to a handful of freaks."
"I'm not leaving anything to anyone. We need a response team. These people may be isolated, unbalanced even, but I believe with the right push they can be exactly what we need."
- ―The World Security Council and Nick Fury
Loki stole the Tesseract from Project P.E.G.A.S.U.S., and destroyed the base, killing eighty people during the process, causing Nick Fury to revive the project. He called in Captain America to join, and sent Black Widow to get Hulk, who was now living in a rural village in India. Meanwhile, Phil Coulson was sent to Stark Tower to retrieve Tony Stark.
After the Avengers were formed, they were not cooperating and failed to prevent Loki's escape from the Helicarrier. They believed they were not meant to be together, and were thinking of disbanding the team. It was only Phil Coulson's death that motivated them to fight the Chitauri invasion on New York City.
- Tony Stark (Iron Man), a self-proclaimed eccentric genius, billionaire, playboy and philanthropist, with a technologically advanced suit of armor.
- Steve Rogers (Captain America), a World War II veteran physically enhanced with Abraham Erskine's Super Soldier Serum.
- Bruce Banner (Hulk), a mild-mannered scientist, whom had been transformed into a raging monster after going through a terrible accident while trying to recreate the Super Soldier Serum.
- Emil Blonsky (Abomination), a former special-ops operative of the British Royal Marines who was transformed into an hulking monster after being injected with Doctor Banner's blood and with a variant of the Serum.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: 2.17: Melinda
- ↑ Iron Man Post-credits Scene
- ↑ Marvel One-Shot: The Consultant
- ↑ The Incredible Hulk
- ↑ Iron Man 2
- ↑ The Avengers Prelude: Fury's Big Week
- ↑ Captain America: The First Avenger
- ↑ The Avengers: The Avengers Initiative
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 9.2 The Avengers
- ↑ Thor: The Dark World Prelude