Benedict Timothy Carlton Cumberbatch portrayed Stephen Strange/Doctor Strange in Doctor Strange and will reprise his role in Thor: Ragnarok and Avengers: Infinity War.
He also portrayed Dormammu in Doctor Strange.
- Benedict Cumberbatch is the second actor to portray two major characters in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, the first being Paul Bettany.
- Benedict Cumberbatch is best known for portraying Sherlock Holmes in the television series Sherlock, which is one of the items included on Captain America's To-Do List in the UK release of Captain America: The Winter Soldier. Coincidentally, this film contained the first mention of Doctor Strange in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
- Cumberbatch spent his gap year teaching English at a Tibetan monastery in Darjeeling, India, which he has acknowledged is similar to Strange's Himalayan origin story.
- Benedict Cumberbatch previously worked with Chiwetel Ejiofor in 12 Years A Slave.
- Benedict Cumberbatch previously worked with Kobna Holdbrook-Smith in a 12-week run of Hamlet at the Barbican Theatre in London.
- Benedict Cumberbatch previously worked with Tom Holland in The Current War.
- Benedict Cumberbatch portrayed Doctor Strange in a sketch on Jimmy Kimmel Live!, in which Jimmy Kimmel hires Strange to entertain children at a birthday party.
- Benedict Cumberbatch previously worked with Martin Freeman in Sherlock, The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug, and The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies.
- Benedict Cumberbatch previously worked with Cate Blanchett, Hugo Weaving, Evangeline Lilly, and Lee Pace in The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug and The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies. Andy Serkis was also a second-unit director on both films.