|For other uses, see Captain America (disambiguation)|
- "This job... we try to save as many people as we can. Sometimes that doesn't mean everybody, but if we can't find a way to live with that, next time maybe nobody can be saved."
- ―Steve Rogers
Captain Steven "Steve" Grant Rogers is a Super Soldier World War II veteran and was the world's first superhero. Volunteering for a top secret Super-Soldier program, the frail Steve Rogers was transformed into the powerful and heroic Captain America. His famous World War II exploits made him a living legend. Rogers attacked multiple HYDRA quarters with the Howling Commandos to the dismay of his greatest enemy, the Red Skull, while also developing a relationship with Agent Peggy Carter. Despite losing his closest friend, Bucky Barnes during a mission, Rogers carried on to help the Allies win the war, but crashed into the Arctic during his final mission. Awakening in the 21st century, Rogers learned that he had spent 67 years trapped in the glacial ice.
Steven Rogers found himself alone in a modern world that he hardly recognized. When Nick Fury, Director of the international peacekeeping agency S.H.I.E.L.D., called upon Rogers to help save the world again, he once again suited up as Captain America, bringing his iconic shield to the Avengers during the Chitauri Invasion where he worked closely with Iron Man, the son of his friend Howard Stark. Fighting for the safety of innocent lives helped Rogers find his place in the new world as he joined S.H.I.E.L.D. to continue protecting the world from people who would have its freedom stripped away.
After fighting alongside the Avengers, Rogers became a dedicated S.H.I.E.L.D. agent and completed many operations with fellow agent and Avenger Black Widow. Along with Maria Hill and Falcon, they destroyed Project Insight. After the HYDRA Uprising, he went off on his own to search for his friend Bucky Barnes, with the help of Sam Wilson. In the midst of his quest, Rogers reassembled with the Avengers, working to bring down what was left of HYDRA, and made use of his leadership skills once again in the battle against the psychotic artificial intelligence, Ultron. Unlike most members of the original Avengers, Rogers remained as a member and the leader of the second incarnation of the team after the Ultron Offensive.
In response to the massive loss of life caused by the Avengers, Captain America was ordered by Thaddeus Ross to sign the Sokovia Accords which would force the Avengers to have to operate under the rule of a governing body. Rogers and Tony Stark strongly disagreed on the issue and when the Winter Soldier became a target, Rogers directly disobeyed his orders to protect his friend. This action began the Avengers Civil War in which Rogers and a small team fought against Iron Man's team to protect or capture Barnes, eventually learning that Helmut Zemo was behind the devastation. When Stark learned that the Winter Soldier had killed his parents, Rogers was forced to hide Barnes in Wakanda with Black Panther and go on the run.
- "Even when I had nothing, I had Bucky."
- ―Steve Rogers
Steven Grant Rogers was born on July 4, 1918, to Sarah and Joseph Rogers in Brooklyn, New York City. Before Rogers was born, his father Joseph was confirmed to be killed in action in World War I. At a young age he met James "Bucky" Barnes, who would eventually become his best friend.
As a sickly adolescent, Rogers was frequently attacked by bullies on the streets. However, Rogers' resilience, despite his small stature, inspired a young James Barnes to come to his aid and fight off the bullies, and the two became good friends.
In 1936, Rogers, now eighteen, discovered his mother had died of tuberculosis. She was later buried next to her husband. After the funeral, Rogers talked to Bucky Barnes, who offered to have Steve stay at his place and do errands to earn his keep, but Rogers declined, saying that he could get by on his own. Barnes told him he didn't have to and promised that he would be with him "'til the end of the line." Rogers held this statement close to heart for years.
World War II
Training with Bucky
- "Do you want to kill Nazis?"
"I don't want to kill anyone, but I don't like bullies; I don't care where they're from."
- ―Abraham Erskine and Steve Rogers
Rogers and Barnes learned during an art class that the United States of America entered World War II. Rogers wanted to join the United States Army to fight in Europe against the Nazis, so Bucky trained him for two weeks at Goldie's Boxing Gym. Soon Bucky and Steve went to a US Recruiting and Induction Center in New York City where Steve was classified as 4F and rejected from service, but Bucky later enlisted in the Army.
Rejected for Service
- "Look, just give me a chance."
"You’ll be ineligible on your asthma alone."
"Is there anything I can do?"
"You’re doing it. I’m saving your life."
- ―Steve Rogers and 4F Doctor
In New York City, December 1941, Steve Rogers continued to be rejected for service in the United States Armed Forces, despite making multiple attempts at different enlistment offices, due to his various health and physical issues. He remained determined to fight alongside his friends and other men in World War II and would attempt to convince the doctors to give him a chance, but to no avail.
Disappointed, he went to a local cinema. At the screening, an advert was played showing the different ways soldiers and civilians can help with the war effort. When a loud jerk in the cinema yelled at the screen and showed disrespect to the message of the film. Rogers was the only person to stand up to the bully, who later brought him outside and then proceeded to beat him up. Steve was later rescued by his friend Bucky Barnes, who chased off the bully.
Meeting Abraham Erskine
- "Do you want to kill Nazis?"
"Is this a test?"
"I don’t wanna kill anyone. I don’t like bullies."
- ―Abraham Erskine and Steve Rogers
In an attempt to cheer up his best friend, Barnes convinced Rogers to attend an exhibition of future technologies with him and two girls as a "double date." As they explored the Expo, Rogers witnessed Howard Stark demonstrate his flying car prototype, which promptly crashed to the ground. When he saw an enlistment office adjacent, Rogers snuck away from Bucky and the girls and attempted to enlist again. Barnes noticed his absence and later found Rogers, attempting to convince him not to enlist again in case he was arrested for lying on his enlistment form again, but Rogers insisted that he needed to fight for his country.
Having overheard Rogers' conversation with Barnes about wanting to help in the war, Dr. Abraham Erskine approached Rogers in a secluded room. Erskine asked Rogers if he wished to go over seas and kill Nazis, to which Rogers replied that he did not wish to kill anyone; he simply "did not like bullies no matter where they were from." Impressed by this answer, Erskine decided to enlist Rogers as a candidate of Project Rebirth, a secret "super-soldier" experiment being conducted by the Strategic Scientific Reserve.
Rogers agreed and under the supervision of Dr. Erskine, Colonel Chester Phillips and Agent Peggy Carter, he travelled to Camp Lehigh to begin his training. Rogers trained hard but was often mocked and bullied by the other soldiers, including a particularly cruel bully named Gilmore Hodge. Yet his determination and quick thinking often made him stand out from the group. Colonel Phillips was unconvinced of Erskine's claims that Rogers was the right person for the procedure but relented after seeing Rogers commit an act of self-sacrificing bravery.
The night before the treatment, Erskine revealed to Rogers that his first test subject, the Nazi officer Johann Schmidt, underwent an imperfect version of the treatment; becoming super-human but suffering negative side-effects due to his inner ambition for power and obsession with becoming a "superior man". However, he reassured Rogers that he chose him because he was inherently a good man and one that because he had been weak his whole life, would not lose respect for the strength he would gain. They promised to share a drink after the treatment.
- "How do you feel?"
"You look taller."
- ―Peggy Carter and Steve Rogers
Schmidt, having discovered Erskine's location, dispatched an assassin to kill him. In America, Rogers was escorted to a secret facility by Peggy Carter. As they drove together, Rogers pointed out many of the locations where he had been beaten up in the past. He and Carter talked about how it felt to be picked on and ignored for something they could not change; Rogers for his height and Carter for her gender. Despite Rogers' awkwardness in speaking to her, Carter was charmed by Rogers' sincerity and good moral values.
Once there, Doctor Abraham Erskine greeted Rogers and Carter while Howard Stark prepped the machinery and Chester Phillips watched from a safe distance with various Generals and Senators. Once Rogers was strapped into the machine, Erskine gave a short speech to the people watching before subjecting Rogers to the super-soldier treatment, injecting him with a special serum and dosing him with Vita Radiation.
Although the treatment was extremely painful, causing Rogers to scream out in agony and almost force Erskine and Stark to shut off the reactor, Rogers demanded that the scientists to keep going. Eventually the experiment was complete and Rogers emerged from the experiment with a greatly enhanced physique. Rogers went from being 5'4" tall and weighing 94 pounds, to being 6'2" and weighing 240 lbs. Peggy Carter was the first to greet Rogers as he stepped out. When she asked how he felt, the awestruck Rogers could only comment that he felt taller. All the other scientists and generals then came down to congratulate the team.
Shortly after the experiment, one of the attendees shot and killed Erskine, revealing himself as Johann Schmidt's assassin, Heinz Kruger. The assassin stole the last vial of Super Soldier Serum before escaping.
Rogers ran to Erskine's aid but there was nothing he could do. Erskine pointed to Rogers' heart, reminding him of their earlier conversation, and died. Rogers pursued Kruger on foot, while Kruger drove away in a stolen taxi. Due to his enhanced physicality Rogers was able to catch up with Kruger and caused the taxi to crash. When Kruger tried to escape in a HYDRA submarine, Rogers dove into the water after him and captured Kruger, but the assassin smashed the Super Soldier Serum and committed suicide via cyanide pill before he could be interrogated.
With Dr. Abraham Erskine dead, the super-soldier formula was lost. Blood samples were taken in hopes to replicate the formula. Out of twelve, one was given to Howard Stark. Rather than be confined to a lab while scientists attempted to rediscover Erskine's formula, Rogers tried to convince Chester Phillips to allow him to serve overseas, but Phillips refused, noting that he was not the army he had wanted. However, Senator Brandt approached Rogers and offered him the chance to serve his country on the "most important battlefield of the war".
Working for the USO
Rather than serve overseas on the battlefield however, Brandt had Rogers tour the nation in a colorful costume as "Captain America". Rogers regretfully agreed, with his job being to promote war bonds for the Treasury Department and encourage American participation in the war. Rogers found performing difficult and awkward, still wishing to fight with his fellow soldiers.
Rogers became an icon and living propaganda piece for the American people, even starring in his own comic book and movie serials in which he would battle and defeat the Nazis. He could continue to travel the country from state to state as his popularity continued to grow with the wives and children whose husbands and fathers were fighting overseas, and Rogers would often pose for pictures and sign autographs.
In 1943, while touring to active servicemen in Italy, Rogers learned the men of the military did not enjoy his act as much as the nine year-olds for whom he usually performed. Depressed at the job he had been given and wishing to be a soldier, he took a free moment to sketch himself as a performing monkey. Peggy Carter joined him and tried to persuade him that he was meant for more than what he was doing, reminding him of the reasons why Abraham Erskine had selected him.
During their conversation Rogers learned that Bucky Barnes' unit was lost in battle against Johann Schmidt's forces. Although Colonel Chester Phillips seemingly confirmed Barnes as K.I.A., Rogers refused to believe that Bucky was dead and stole weapons and some equipment in an attempt to drive to the HYDRA base and find him. Peggy Carter convinced him to allow her to help him.
Peggy Carter and Howard Stark assisted him by flying him to Austria, thirty miles behind enemy lines. During the journey Rogers had an awkward conversation with Carter when he mistakenly thought she had began a relationship with Stark. Their plane was suddenly shot at by enemy guns, and Rogers ordered Carter to turn the plane around once he was clear. She tried to tell him that he could not give her orders, but he smiled and said he could because he was a Captain. Rogers then leapt from the plane and landed safely on the ground. Rogers snuck aboard a HYDRA truck, knocking out the guards and infiltrated the fortress belonging to Johann Schmidt's HYDRA division.
Once there, he found and stole a piece of Tesseract technology and freed the captured soldiers. The soldiers fought their HYDRA captors, allowing them to escape. Rogers went on looking for Barnes. On the way, he spotted Arnim Zola leaving a room. When Rogers entered the room, he found Bucky strapped to a table. Rogers freed him and they tried to escape. However, the entire facility began to explode so they tried to find another way out. Steve Rogers was then confronted by Johann Schmidt; they had a brief fight where Schmidt showed off his incredible strength. Zola separated the pair, and Schmidt revealed his face to be a mask, removing it to display the red-colored, skull-like face that earned him the nickname "The Red Skull".
Schmidt escaped and Rogers managed to get himself and Barnes to safety. He reunited with the escaped P.O.W.s and returned to base along with the freed soldiers. Rogers then asked Colonel Chester Phillips to reprimand him for his actions but the latter denied it, knowing that he did a good job in saving the lives of over 400 captured soldiers. Peggy Carter asked him why he arrived late and Rogers explained that he could not call his ride as the radio she gave him had been broken. Bucky Barnes called for all the people to acknowledge that Captain America was a hero and every soldier cheered and applauded.
Rogers debriefed Phillips on everything he had learned during his raid on the HYDRA base, including the locations of many other HYDRA bases across Europe. When it was suggested that Rogers would need a team if he was to go back onto the front lines, Rogers explained he was putting together a team himself. He recruited Bucky Barnes, Dum Dum Dugan, Gabe Jones, Jim Morita, James Montgomery Falsworth, and Jacques Dernier into his team, nicknamed the Howling Commandos, to attack the other known bases belonging to HYDRA. When Barnes asked if he was planning on keeping the outfit, Rogers said it was growing on him. Carter later arrived to tell Rogers about his next meeting; they suggested that once the war was over, the pair should go dancing together.
Rogers returned to the base where he was unexpectedly approached by Private Lorraine, who decided to reward his war efforts with a passionate kiss. Carter caught them and berated him about being just like any other soldier. Rogers later spoke to Howard Stark for advice on the matter. During their talk, Stark provided Rogers with a new outfit and a new circular shield made of Vibranium capable of negating large amounts of damage. This was quickly proven when Carter shot at him multiple times as revenge for kissing another woman. As Rogers and Stark watched the satisfied Carter leave the room, Rogers presented Stark with his own designs for his new uniform.
- "You ready to follow Captain America into the jaws of death?"
"Hell, no! The little guy from Brooklyn who was too dumb not to run away from a fight. I’m following him."
- ―Steve Rogers and Bucky Barnes
In command of his own personal team of soldiers, the Howling Commandos, which included his best friend Bucky Barnes, Rogers embarked on a quest to sabotage and destroy HYDRA's bases across Europe. He led the team still using the name Captain America, now with an new uniform with a similar design, but more practical for use in the war.
In April 1944, Rogers infiltrated a HYDRA castle on an island in the Nazi occupied Danish Straits. He managed to destroy one of Arnim Zola's exo-skeleton suits and an armored vehicle. Johann Schmidt attempted to destroy him by using a Viking Runestone, but Captain America slowed the relic from exploding, allowing the Howling Commandos to escape. In winter of 1944, Rogers single-handedly stopped a Nazi blockade and saved over 600 men, including the man who would eventually become Peggy Carter's Husband. Rogers commanded his unit with skill and confidence. During the filming of one of his mission briefings, the camera picked up that he carried a picture of Peggy Carter in his compass.
In London, Rogers followed HYDRA soldiers who stole information from the Strategic Scientific Reserve and was targeted repeatedly. After throwing his shield at their car's tires, the HYDRA soldiers crashed near an air raid shelter. Rogers encouraged the citizens inside to save themselves after making a speech about heroism and strength in numbers. His continued experience in dealing with HYDRA allowed Rogers to become a leading authority in their movements, even advising General Dwight D. Eisenhower on the best ways to defeat their enemy.
On a mission to a HYDRA base in 1944 with the Howling Commandos, minus Bucky, Rogers stowed away on a small merchant boat, when, as he predicted, it was attacked by a HYDRA submarine, the Leviathan, as it was a perfect test target. While they were distracted, Rogers swam to the sub and proceeded to enter and attack the crew, winning it for himself and the Commandos, who anxiously waited in a raft. After finding out where the base was via map, they quietly docked in the base and, on Rogers' count, stormed out to find it completely deserted. The team decided to split up in groups of two, except for Rogers who had already moved to investigate, leaving Dugan alone.
After searching, Rogers found a deserted lab that looks like a war had torn through it. Searching through the notes, he discovered that they were working on creating a literal Hydra beast, just as he received a call for help from Falsworth and Morita, who the creature has in its grip. Trying to save them, he threw his shield to cut through a "head" which, like the mythical beast, resulted in two more growing back. The creature then dragged the two under water. Rushing to inform the rest, Jones informed Rogers that all records indicated the experiments were only on people. The remaining team decided to set charges to blow up the base while Rogers went to try and rescue the others.
Upon finding the creature's lair in a caved in area, Rogers noticed several German names scrawled into the wall, and was then told by Jones that more notes reveal that the HYDRA scientist thought that the "Hydra serum" got in their water supply, when suddenly Rogers came across the beast, still with Falsworth and Morita, and a fight ensued. The two Commandos escaped as Rogers stayed and fought, when suddenly the beast scrawled "Help Me" in German on the wall. Rogers then realized the beast was the scientists, and with ten seconds until the charges detonated protected it with his shield. He then decided to take the beast to Howard Stark, who could figure out how to separate it back into individual people.
Rogers and his Howling Commandos progressively managed to destroy most major HYDRA operations, slowing HYDRA's efforts in building an army for global conquest. Along with their assaults on HYDRA, the Commandos also stormed the beaches of Normandy on D-Day and fought in the Battle of the Bulge, pushing the Nazi occupiers of Europe back into Germany. A fictionalized version of Rogers' participation in the Battle of the Bulge would be presented on The Captain America Adventure Program after the war.
In one particular mission against HYDRA, after receiving information on the location of one of HYDRA's top scientist Arnim Zola, Rogers, Bucky Barnes and Gabe Jones led a stealth attack and boarded Zola's armored train. While Jones stayed on top of the train, Rogers and Barnes went inside and were quickly ambushed.
In the ensuing battle with the HYDRA soldiers, Bucky Barnes was thrown from the train. Despite his best efforts to save his friend, Rogers watched as Bucky fell down into the rocky mountain to his presumed death, devastated that he was unable to save him. Luckily, Zola was captured by Gabe Jones and handed over to Allied forces and interrogated by Chester Phillips. The mission proved to be worthwhile as Zola provided the Allies with information needed to defeat HYDRA.
After the loss of his dearest friend, Rogers went to a bombed out town and had a drink alone in a pub to mourn his friend's death, only to learn that because of the serum, he was unable to get drunk. He was joined by Peggy Carter, who tried to assure him that Barnes' death was not his fault. She told him that Barnes knew that their mission was worth dying for.
Knowing that HYDRA was planning a massive attack on the world and wanting to decisively strike at HYDRA to end the conflict and avenge Bucky, Rogers, Stark, the remaining members of the Howling Commandos, Phillips, and Carter discussed their strategy to defeat their enemy for good. Thanks to the information provided by Zola, Rogers crafted a plan to ride into the base alone and then have the army follow him once he broke through the initial defenses.
The Strategic Scientific Reserve put Rogers' plan into action. He rode into the base alone on his motorcycle. Multiple HYDRA soldiers on motorcycles rode behind him planning to kill him, but Rogers defeated them with weapon systems built into his motorcycle. Rogers dodged the attacks of a tank that was set up in front of the base and then rode over the wall that protected the base. He defeated many soldiers in the outer area of the base, and hopped off his motorcycle, which exploded on a metal door. Rogers continued to fight the soldiers, but was eventually subdued when they arrived with flamethrowers and many others arrived with guns.
Rogers was then taken prisoner and taken to Johann Schmidt in his quarters, who asked him why Abraham Erskine chose him to take the Super Soldier Serum. Rogers responded by saying he was "just a kid from Brooklyn". This angered Schmidt and he punched Rogers until he became calm again. Rogers told Schmidt that he would not give up. Schmidt then tried to shoot him in the head, but the Howling Commandos broke into the room. Thanks to the information given by Zola, they knew where Schmidt's quarters were and were able to burst through the window to begin their assault and to rescue Rogers. Schmidt ran from the chaos while his soldiers fought the Commandos; Rogers ran after him. When he eventually caught up to Schmidt, he threw his shield at him, but it got stuck in a doorway. He tried to get it out, but a HYDRA soldier with a flamethrower tried to attack him, so Rogers hid to protect himself.
Peggy Carter ran up behind the soldier and shot and killed him. Rogers got his shield and continued to run after Schmidt, who was boarding a ship known as the Valkyrie, along with many soldiers. A large battle erupted between the HYDRA soldiers and the SSR soldiers. Rogers ran through the battle to get to the Valkyrie and stop Schmidt from bombing cities all over the world. He failed to catch up, but Chester Phillips and Peggy Carter arrived in Johann Schmidt's Coupe. He got in and they raced after the plane. Before jumping aboard the ship, Rogers and Carter shared their first and last kiss.
- "Right now I'm in the middle of nowhere. If I wait any longer a lot of people are gonna die. Peggy... this is my choice. Peggy..."
"I'm gonna need a rain check on that dance."
- ―Steve Rogers and Peggy Carter
While on the Valkyrie, Rogers noticed that the bombs were actually aircrafts that were going to be deployed over major American cities. Rogers stayed unseen for a few minutes, then began attacking the soldiers that were getting ready to board the aircrafts.
Eventually one of the soldiers got into a parasit, which Rogers tried to stop from leaving the plane. Unfortunately it did, but Rogers and a soldier were on the top. The other soldier fell into the turbine and died. Rogers tried to pull out the soldier who was piloting the parasit, but he pulled the ejecting button, and Steve took control of the parasit. Rogers tried to fly back to the Valkyrie, but Schmidt attacked Rogers with the ship's weapons. Rogers dodged these attacks and flew back into the ship.
He found Schmidt and they fought, but Rogers knocked Schmidt into the controls, making the ship free fall. Schmidt managed to get the ship back into a normal flight path. Schmidt shot at Rogers, but Rogers threw his shield at Schmidt and he flew into the containment unit harnessing the Tesseract's power. Schmidt picked up the Tesseract which had been disconnected from the containment unit due to impact and a portal through space opened, transporting him across the universe. The Tesseract then melted a small hole in the plane and fell into the ocean.
After witnessing Schmidt's apparent death, Rogers began to pilot the plane and tried to fly it from its current path to destroy New York City but realized that the plane was going at such a fast speed. With no means of escaping the plane and with it traveling at a very fast speed to destroy New York, Rogers used the ship's intercom to call the HYDRA Headquarters, which was now controlled by the Strategic Scientific Reserve. Peggy Carter used the base's intercom and talked to Rogers. He told her that the plane was heading to New York to destroy it and it was going too fast for him to think of a plan of stop it. He then told her that the only way to save New York was to crash land the ship into the Arctic. He descended the ship down. As he did, Rogers and Carter spoke to each other as if Rogers was not going to crash. When the ship finally crashed, it left him preserved in the ice for 67 years.
- "That was a difficult winter. A blizzard had trapped half our battalion behind the German line. Steve- Captain Rogers- he fought his way through a HYDRA blockade that had pinned our allies down for months. He saved over a thousand men. Including the man who would... who would become my husband, as it turned out. Even after he died Steve was still changing my life."
- ―Peggy Carter in an interview
Steve Rogers was mourned by a nation that had admired his heroic rise from the USO stage to the newsreels, and who now believed him to be dead due to crashing in the ice. He left a cultural and political impact on the world, changing it for the better or the worse. In his attempt to recover Rogers' body, Howard Stark found the Tesseract, which was then studied by the Strategic Scientific Reserve.
Captain America was still a widely famous figure and a radio serial called The Captain America Adventure Program was developed, featuring fictional adventures during the war. Despite its popularity, the show was extremely historically inaccurate, and Peggy Carter, having being involved in most of Captain America's missions during the war, hated the show, especially because her own role had been fictionalized as the typical "damsel in distress".
One of the blood samples that was taken from Captain America after the Assassination of Abraham Erskine was kept by Stark who wanted to use it to see if he could develop a panacea from it. Peggy Carter confiscated the sample, and ultimately got rid of it. Stark missed his friend greatly and viewed Captain America as his "greatest accomplishment". However, Carter convinced him, and herself, to let him go.
Captain America passed into memory as the modern world's first superhero, making his exploits in the war become well known, especially in the United States. Peggy Carter went on to help Stark found S.H.I.E.L.D. and eventually married a man whom Captain America had saved in the course of the war.
S.H.I.E.L.D.'s Search for Captain America
- "My God. Base, give me a line to the Colonel."
"It's 3 AM, sir."
"I don't care what time it is. This one's waited long enough."
- ―A lieutenant calling a S.H.I.E.L.D. base after finding Steve's body
66 years after Rogers' crash landing, a S.H.I.E.L.D. team led by Nick Fury searched for his body. A fan of Captain America, Phil Coulson, was also part of this small team. The team searched for two years to find Rogers' body. When they finally found his body, they defrosted him and then shipped his body to New York City.
- "We thought it best to break it to you slowly."
"You've been asleep, Cap. For almost 70 years. You gonna be okay?"
"Yeah, I'm okay. It's just... I had a date."
- ―Nick Fury and Steve Rogers
When Rogers arrived in New York City, he was defrosted and kept in a simulated 1941 environment to try and ease him into what was happening. When he awoke, he quickly realized it was not real and escaped into the streets of a 2012 New York City. In Times Square, Rogers encountered Nick Fury who tells him that he had been "asleep" for nearly 70 years. Rogers then realized that many of his old friends were very likely dead, including his love interest, Peggy Carter.
Steve Rogers found himself lost in a world that had moved on without him and found it very difficult to adjust to this modern world. He spent a few weeks in seclusion at a cabin that was one of S.H.I.E.L.D.'s many safe houses. Rogers later moved into an apartment in New York City. While there, Rogers looked through some files of his friends from the 1940s. He found a file for Peggy Carter, which stated she was still alive. The file also contained her current phone number, but he hesitated to call because he was afraid of how she would react to seeing him. Later, he went to a nearby diner and met Beth, a waitress. A man told him to ask her on a date, but Rogers did not. Rogers then went to a boxing gym to clear his mind.
- "When I went under, the world was at war. I wake up, they say we won. They didn't say what we lost."
- ―Steve Rogers to Nick Fury
While working out in a boxing gym in the middle of the night, hitting a punching bag, Rogers recounted various events that took place during his era in the war including: his fight against HYDRA with his allies, the Howling Commandos, Bucky Barnes' supposed death, his last fight with Red Skull, his sacrifice, his last conversation with Peggy Carter, and being defrosted. These memories infuriated Rogers to the point where he broke the punching bag. At that moment, Nick Fury approached him with a mission to save the world.
Fury informed him that a being known as Loki had stolen the Tesseract and intended to use it to conquer and rule the Earth. Rogers was not thrilled to learn that HYDRA's secret weapon and power source had found its way into this era. Rogers accepted the assignment and Fury asks him to reveal any more useful information regarding the cube that he might be aware of, to which Rogers stated they should've left it "buried in the ocean".
- "Well, I hope I'm the man for the job."
- ―Steve Rogers to Phil Coulson
On his way to the main S.H.I.E.L.D. headquarters, while aboard the Quinjet, Rogers was debriefed by Agent Phil Coulson about a selected group of people that were chosen to be a part of the Avengers Initiative. One member in particular that intrigued Rogers was Bruce Banner. Coulson revealed to him that Banner attempted to recreate Abraham Erskine's Super Soldier Serum believing Gamma Radiation was a key ingredient in the formula's properties. However, when he was exposed to high levels of Gamma Radiation, he transformed into the 9 foot tall powerhouse known as the Hulk. Coulson and Rogers shared an awkward moment when he revealed that he watched Rogers being defrosted and expressed with great enthusiasm how much of an honor it was to have Rogers on board to lead this team. Rogers was somewhat skeptical of himself being the right candidate to lead; Coulson reassured Rogers that he was and that he personally had overseen the development of a newly constructed uniform for him with some design input from himself.
Rogers was surprised that he would be wearing his trademark stars and stripes, since in this modern era it would appear to be outdated and old fashioned. Coulson reassured him that with the enormous threat they were about to face, people would need an old-fashioned symbol to inspire them with hope. Once arriving on the S.H.I.E.L.D. Helicarrier, Rogers was introduced to Natasha Romanoff, better known as Black Widow, and Bruce Banner. Together they watched as the Helicarrier took off from the water.
Later, Phil Coulson shyly asked if Rogers would be willing to sign his vintage Captain America Trading Cards, which Rogers agreed to. They were interrupted when Fury informed Rogers that Loki had been located in Stuttgart, Germany. Rogers immediately suited up into his new uniform, designed by Phil Coulson, and headed off to Germany with Romanoff piloting the Quinjet.
- "You know, the last time I was in Germany and saw a man standing above everybody else, we ended up disagreeing."
- ―Steve Rogers to Loki
Upon arriving in Germany at a Gala, Rogers used his shield to deflect an incoming blast from Loki's Scepter, thus protecting an elderly man who refused to kneel before Loki. Loki, who was trying to enslave a crowd of German citizens, was hit by the ricocheted blast. Rogers then engaged in a fierce battle with Loki. Loki often gained the upper hand due to his superior Asgardian strength; he tried to force Rogers to kneel in surrender but Rogers swore that he would not. The fight continued and, despite his disadvantage against the "God of Mischief," Rogers managed to hold his own against him long enough for Iron Man to arrive on the scene. Loki seemingly surrendered easily.
On route, back to the Helicarrier aboard the Quinjet, Rogers revealed to Stark that he was very uneasy with Loki's surrender as he does not remember it ever being that easy. Stark openly mocked Rogers. Suddenly a mysterious thunder and lightning storm appeared in the Quinjet's path which Rogers saw frightened Loki. Without warning, Thor appeared and promptly grabbed Loki before he flew away. Stark immediately pursued them and despite Black Widow advising him to sit it out, as it was way too dangerous for him, Rogers skydived after both of them.
Fight with Thor
Rogers arrived in the forest area to witness Thor and Iron Man engaged in a fearsome battle against each other. Using his shield, he intervened and attempted to reason with Thor, pointing out that they shouldn't be fighting with each other, asking Thor to put his hammer down.
In response, Thor furiously knocked Iron Man back before leaping towards Captain America, bringing Mjølnir down upon his shield. The shield absorbed the impact, and created a massive shockwave throughout the surrounding woodland, sending Thor hurtling backwards. Afterwards, the three of them stood up. Once they saw the damage done, they agreed to stop fighting and took Loki into captivity together.
Working on the Helicarrier
Loki was escorted to the Helicarrier and placed into an impenetrable glass and steel containment cell specifically designed to hold and dispose of the Hulk if necessary. Rogers and his other teammates watched a holographic video of Nick Fury interrogating Loki from the main conference room on the bridge of the Helicarrier.
After watching Fury's meeting with Loki. Rogers was convinced that Loki had a hidden agenda for which he allowed himself to willingly be captured and brought to the Helicarrier. Thor revealed to the group that Loki had allied himself with an alien race known as the Chitauri who will enable him to conquer and rule over Earth in exchange for the Tesseract. As the group tried to figure out Loki's primary objective, Stark arrived on the bridge and explained from a highly scientific perspective that Loki needed a stable power supply to harness the cube's energy to then open and stabilize the portal. Stark's scientific explanation confused Rogers and the others, with the exception Banner.
Upon Fury's request, Banner teamed up with Stark to locate the cube using the computer database in the Wishbone lab. While present, Rogers witnessed Stark attempting to provoke Banner into "Hulking out". Rogers confronted Stark about the potential danger he could cause and asked him to resume the task of finding the location of the cube. Stark and Banner revealed their misgivings about S.H.I.E.L.D.'s motives behind researching the cube in the first place. Which in turn caused Rogers to investigate the matter further by sneaking into a storage room where he discovered HYDRA weaponry, and learned that S.H.I.E.L.D. was attempting to harness the Tesseract's powers to manufacture weapons of mass destruction.
- "Yeah. Big man in a suit of armor. Take that off, what are you?"
"Genius, billionaire, playboy philanthropist."
"I know guys with none of that and worth ten of you. I've seen the footage. The only thing that you really fight for is yourself. You're not the guy to make the sacrifice play. To lay down on the wire and let the other guy crawl over you."
- ―Captain America and Tony Stark
An intense argument broke out between the team with Nick Fury, Natasha Romanoff, Bruce Banner, Thor, but mainly between Rogers and Tony Stark on the ethic of heroism. Rogers argued that Stark was not the type of man who would make the sacrifice play while Stark argued that the only reason Rogers was so special because of the Super Soldier Serum.
As it looked like it could come to a head, the Helicarrier came under attack by Hawkeye, which forced Rogers and Stark to put aside their differences and work together to help to save the damaged Helicarrier. While Stark repaired the turbine, Rogers first checked the computer relays, which he struggled with due to his lack of understanding of modern technology. He then had to fend off some of Loki's brainwashed agents from doing any further damage, firing at them with a machine gun. Although successful, it was not without cost; Phil Coulson was killed by Loki in the incident.
After the battle on the Helicarrier, Thor and Hulk had been thrown from the Helicarrier, and Loki had escaped. Rogers and Stark had a meeting with Nick Fury to discuss what to do next. Fury showed Rogers Coulson's vintage Captain America Card Collection he never got signed. Fury explained his intention to form the Avengers was to "fight the battles that we never could." Stark left the meeting early and went to the spot where Coulson had died. Rogers spoke to him there, trying to get his mind back on the mission and focused on Loki. It worked, as Stark realized that Loki required Stark Tower to power the Tesseract.
- "How do we do this?"
"As a team!"
- ―Black Widow and Steve Rogers
Phil Coulson's death was what would finally bring the team together. Regardless of all he had been through thus far, Rogers found the strength again to do what needed to be done and take command of the Avengers. While Tony Stark flew to New York and confronted Loki directly, Rogers and Romanoff teamed up with Clint Barton, who had been freed from Loki's control, and took over a Quinjet. When they arrived in New York they found a portal had opened above the city and the Chitauri army had began their attack. Their Quinjet was shot down by Loki but they were all able to survive the crash.
After crash landing and seeing the countless forces attacking, Rogers felt his priority should be ensuring the protection of the endangered civilians, so he ran to the nearest police officer, dodging the Chituari attacks as the went, and gave him orders for how to ensure the safety of the people. The officer questioned why he should take orders from Rogers. Before he could answer, he was attacked by three Chitauri soldiers who he defeated with ease. Seeing Rogers' strength and skill in battle, the officer decided not to question him again and instead followed his orders.
Joined by Tony Stark, Natasha Romanoff, Clint Barton, Thor and Bruce Banner, Rogers took command of the team. When a Leviathan came towards them, Banner transformed into the Hulk and destroyed it. Rogers proved his tactical genius by giving each member their assignment: Hawkeye to stake out from a building to call out patterns and any strays, Iron Man to provide air support and superiority, Thor to bottleneck the portal preventing any reinforcements from coming through, he and Black Widow to keep the fighting on the ground, and for Hulk to simply do what he does best: smash. Rogers fought alongside Romanoff and Barton to take on countless numbers of Chitauri troops that came their way.
At one point, Rogers heard that the the Chituari had taken a large group of over five dozen civilians hostage, including the waitress Beth who he had previously met. The aliens prepared to execute them with an explosion, but Rogers dived into the building and saved them, taking out a battalion of invaders by himself. However during the fight his helmet was torn off and he was caught by a Chitauri Bomb and was blasted out the building, landing hard on a nearby car. He was soon partnered with Thor, taking out wave after wave of enemies. At one point, Rogers took a direct hit on the side which injured him. However, he refused to stop fighting.
Eventually, the World Security Council decided to shoot a nuclear bomb onto New York, which would stop the Chitauri from taking over the world, but would kill the Avengers and all the civilians, and destroy all of Manhattan in the process. Nick Fury informed Iron Man of the bomb. Stark managed to fly the bomb into the portal and have it destroy the Chitauri Command Center. However, it appeared that Stark had been killed in the explosion. Seeing no other choice, Rogers ordered Romanoff to close the portal, thus saving the city and the world from conquest. Stark survived, however, and was saved from the fall back to earth by Hulk. Rogers and Thor ran to his aid. When he awoke, Rogers informed him that they had won the war. Rogers then joined the other Avengers to capture Loki who, knowing he was defeated, surrendered without a fight. 
Before they split up, Rogers and the other Avengers ate silently at the Shawarma Palace. While they were eating they were interrupted by War Machine, who arrived too late to help them in the battle.
Sometime after the battle, they gathered in Central Park to see Thor return home to Asgard with the Tesseract and Loki, now bound and muzzled. The Avengers then went their separate ways until the next time Earth needed its Mightiest Heroes to defend it from whatever threat would come. Rogers shook hands with Tony Stark and rode off on his motorcycle to see what awaited him in this brave new world.
Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D.
Steve Rogers moved to Washington, D.C., trying to live like a normal person and adjust to the 21st century. However, he was soon recalled to join S.H.I.E.L.D. in making the world a safer place. After joining the agency, Rogers was trained in parkour and many forms of martial arts to make him even more effective in the field.
- "S.H.I.E.L.D. said this was destroyed. No one's told me why they lied about it."
- ―Captain America
Rogers would often work with fellow Agents Black Widow, who was a member of the Avengers, and Brock Rumlow. The three agents took down a terrorist cell that had stolen the Zodiac weapon from S.H.I.E.L.D. and threatened to unleash it in Willis Tower in Chicago. Rogers jumped out of the tower's Skydeck without a parachute to safely retrieve the Zodiac, counting on Rumlow to stop his fall.
Return to Brooklyn
- "Boy, you leave a place for a half a century and it goes completely to the dogs."
- ―Captain America
Upon receiving intel that Nobel-prize winning scientist Professor Sana Amanat was in danger of abduction by the mercenary group known as the Cadre, Director Nick Fury dispatched Rogers and Natasha Romanoff to Rogers' old neighborhood in Brooklyn on protection detail. Under the guise of showing Romanoff the places that he grew up, they managed to draw out the Cadre mercenaries that had set-up in multiple locations throughout the neighborhood. Tracing the mercenary that had abducted Amanat through a maze of alleyways, Rogers succeeded in taking out the last mercenary with a little help from Amanat herself.
Mission in the Indian Ocean
While on a jog in Washington, D.C., he frequently overlapped a man; every time he passed him Rogers jokingly called to him "on your left". He later caught up again with the man who introduced himself as Sam Wilson, a former army veteran now working in the debriefing system. Wilson was able to fully understand Rogers' experiences of being a veteran returning home and the difficulties surrounding that experience. The two talked about their lives and Wilson recommended some music for Rogers to catch up on before Natasha Romanoff picked Steve up for a new mission.
Rogers was told that the mission was to rescue hostages of a pirate-hijacked S.H.I.E.L.D. ship, the Lemurian Star, somewhere in the Indian Ocean. Rogers was tasked with attacking the ship first; he dived off the Quinjet without a parachute and single-handedly defeated almost every pirate on the ship without raising the alarm. As Brock Rumlow shot the remaining pirates and rescued the hostages and Romanoff cleared out the engine room, Rogers engaged the leader of the pirates, Georges Batroc. Rogers fought Batroc and was challenged to fight him without using his shield. Rogers accepted the challenge and fought him in hand-to-hand combat and eventually knocked him out.
After the fight, Rogers discovered Romanoff hacking into the ship's computer. He learned Romanoff had a secret assignment to recover some S.H.I.E.L.D. data from the ship through a USB drive. This somewhat annoyed Rogers, who was unhappy at being kept in the dark about the fact that Romanoff had been given a secondary mission by Nick Fury. It was made worse when Georges Batroc woke up and threw a grenade at the pair. Rogers deflected the grenade and they leapt out of the path of the explosion. They both survived the explosion, but Batroc escaped during the chaos. Rogers made it clear he blamed Romanoff for the failure to capture Batroc.
- "This isn't freedom. This is fear."
"S.H.I.E.L.D takes the world as it is, not as we'd like it to be."
- ―Captain America discusses Project Insight with Nick Fury
Reporting back to Nick Fury at the Triskelion, Rogers expressed his anger with Fury for lying to him. Fury then took him to the facility's sub-levels, where three Helicarriers were being constructed. Introducing Rogers to Project Insight, Fury explained that S.H.I.E.L.D. planned to use the Helicarriers to fight threats before they even happened. Rogers was discontent with this, finding S.H.I.E.L.D.'s new methods to be a little too extreme.
Disillusioned by Fury's new attitude to world safety, Rogers decided to visit the Department of Veterans Affairs to listen to Sam Wilson talk to soldiers suffering from PTSD. Rogers found himself feeling at home around other soldiers. He spoke to Wilson after the meeting and told him that he had no idea what else to do with his life other than obey orders and serve. Wilson told him he could do whatever he wanted to do.
Rogers revisited his past by visiting the Captain America division of the Smithsonian Institution. There, he saw videos of his time in World War II with Bucky Barnes and the Howling Commandos. When a young boy recognized him, Rogers smiled and asked him to keep quiet. Rogers watched an interview with Peggy Carter where she discussed her relationship with Rogers and how he changed her life, telling the story of when he had saved over 1000 men, including the man who became her husband years later.
After seeing this video, Rogers went to see Peggy Carter in a retirement home, now aged past 90 years. They discussed the changing world, and Rogers told her that the reason he stayed at S.H.I.E.L.D. was partly because she helped found it. When Carter began to cough, Rogers handed her a glass of water; she looked up and appeared to have forgotten their entire conversation and reacted like she was seeing Rogers for the first time in 70 years. In her old age, Carter had developed a form of dementia. Rogers smiled and told her that he could never leave his best girl while she still owed him a dance.
Loss of Nick Fury
Going back to his apartment, Rogers had a brief talk with his neighbor, even building up the courage to ask her out on a date. However, he got suspicious when he heard his stereo playing. He snuck in through the window and found Nick Fury sitting in his couch. Fury told Rogers that "his wife kicked him out" and that they might be overheard by someone. Without warning, Fury was shot several times in his back through the wall. Fury gave the USB to Steve and told him not to trust anyone before falling unconscious.
Rogers' neighbor smashed in the door revealing herself to be Agent 13, hired by Fury to keep an eye on Rogers. Agent 13 called for medical assistance and explained the situation to S.H.I.E.L.D.. Rogers spotted the assassin and went in pursuit, leaping from his apartment window into the building across the street. He smashed his way through various office doors and was barely able to keep up with the assassin. He eventually caught up and threw his shield at the assassin, but the masked man easily caught the shield with his cybernetic arm and threw it back at Rogers with considerable force. Rogers was so stunned that he paused for a moment, allowing the assassin to escape.
Fury was taken to a hospital but his heart stopped and Rogers was joined by Natasha Romanoff, Maria Hill and other Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. as the doctors operated, but were unable to revive him. He was taken away and Agent Hill asked to take care of the body. Romanoff began to question Rogers about the identity of the shooter, predicting that the bullets used were Russian. Rogers feigned ignorance about why Fury went to him. Before they could continue the discussion, Agent Brock Rumlow told the Captain that he was wanted for a hearing at the Triskelion with Alexander Pierce. Romanoff told Rogers that he was a terrible liar, he then used a quiet moment to quickly hide the USB Fury had given him in a vending machine and left with Rumlow.
Fugitive of S.H.I.E.L.D.
When he arrived at the Triskelion he was questioned by Alexander Pierce who said he was one of Fury's oldest friends and wanted to know who killed him. He also said that he and Fury were realists and that to build a new world sometimes meant tearing the old one down. Pierce showed Rogers video footage of Georges Batroc being interrogated and revealed that Nick Fury was secretly responsible for the hijacking of the Lumurian Star.
Knowing that he could not trust Pierce, Rogers told him nothing of what Fury said, and left him to go to the hospital. When the elevator began to fill up with people, Rogers soon realized that they were there to take him down. Giving them one chance to leave, Rogers asked if anyone wanted to get out, then the fight began. The attackers tried to use a pair of Magnetic Handcuffs to keep Rogers from fighting back, but they could only get one on, since Rogers was not willing to give in. Having only one free hand, Rogers fought off the attackers. Soon, Rogers got his hand free. The last conscious double agent was Brock Rumlow. Rumlow told Rogers that the fight was not personal. Rogers managed to subdue Rumlow and told him that it felt personal.
Rogers tried to find a way out of the building to avoid arrest, but the only clear way he could find was to jump out of the elevator. After surviving the fall by landing on his shield, he drove away on his motorcycle, successfully escaping a roadblock set up for him. A Quinjet was sent to stop him. However, Rogers managed to crash it by throwing his shield into the engine and damaging the wings. To keep S.H.I.E.L.D. from tracking him, Rogers hid his uniform in the duffel bag of a high school coach and took the clothes that were inside so that he could hide.
Hiding in Plain Sight
- "That was not my first kiss since 1945. I'm 95, not dead."
- ―Steve Rogers to Natasha Romanoff
Rogers arrived later at the hospital where he noticed that the USB was gone. Natasha Romanoff appeared behind him, revealing that she had taken it. He angrily asked her what she knew about all that had happened. She told him that the masked man was an assassin known as the Winter Soldier, and she had encountered him once before.
Knowing they could trust each other, Rogers and Romanoff went to an Apple store and used the USB in a laptop to see if there was any valuable information on it. But they, as Fury did, found nothing. However, they did find that the location where the USB could be unlocked was in New Jersey. While leaving the mall, Brock Rumlow and his team tried to find them but failed to do so, thanks in part to Romanoff's idea of kissing in public to deflect attention.
They stole a car and drove to the location while talking about the good old days. When they arrived, Steve realized that they were at Camp Lehigh, the old training camp where he trained during World War II. They found a secret storage room full of old computers inside a S.H.I.E.L.D. office. There, they found a more modern looking USB slot and they put the USB in.
The computers powered up revealing that Arnim Zola's consciousness had been put into a computer that told them that he was recruited by S.H.I.E.L.D. after World War II and that he helped to rebuild HYDRA, inside S.H.I.E.L.D.. In the '70's, when he got the news that his body was not salvageable, S.H.I.E.L.D., still needing his help, transferred his mind into software. He had been working on an algorithm that HYDRA wanted. He told them that some of the deaths of S.H.I.E.L.D. leaders had been due to HYDRA, showing them a picture of Howard Stark, implying that his death might not have been an accident. Zola was also involved in the Winter Soldier program.
Unluckily, before Rogers and Romanoff could get any more information out of Zola, they realized that S.H.I.E.L.D. had sent a missile to their location. Zola locked the door and trapped them inside. With seconds to spare, Rogers ripped out the floor boards and pulled Romanoff with him just as the missile blew up their location. Rogers used his shield to keep the debris from crushing them. He pulled Romanoff out of the rubble and ran to safety just as S.H.I.E.L.D. arrived searching for them.
The two then left to seek refuge with Sam Wilson. As they got cleaned up, they spoke about whether or not they could trust each other, considering everything they knew turned out to be a lie. Rogers assured her he trusted her now. They knew they that the air-strike would have been ordered by Alexander Pierce, and they would have to find a high-ranking S.H.I.E.L.D./HYDRA agent to learn more. Wilson told them that he was part of a military project called EXO-7 Falcon, testing of a new form of winged Jet-Packs.
They went back to Washington, D.C. to talk to Agent Jasper Sitwell, who was working for HYDRA. He just had a meeting with Senator Stern, who before saying goodbye whispered "Hail HYDRA". Sam Wilson called Sitwell and forced him up on the roof of a tall building. Together with Romanoff and Rogers, they got him to tell them that Zola's algorithm could calculate if a person would be a threat in the future. He also told them that HYDRA was going to use Project Insight as a weapon to eliminate what they saw as threats against the world; mentioning Tony Stark, Bruce Banner and Stephen Strange. This would also mean that millions of innocent people would die.
The Winter Soldier
"Who the hell is Bucky?"
- ―Captain America and the Winter Soldier
The gang left, but they were attacked by the Winter Soldier and his men. A battle broke out, and as Captain America and the Winter Soldier fought each other in a one-on-one combat, the Winter Soldier's mask was ripped off, revealing that he was Bucky Barnes. When a horrified Steve said his name, the Winter Soldier said he did not know who that was before attempting to shoot Rogers again until Falcon kicked him over from mid-air and Romanoff drove him off with the grenade launcher he had dropped earlier. They were then surrounded by Brock Rumlow and S.H.I.E.L.D. agents. Cap, Natasha and Sam Wilson were then arrested by Rumlow. While in the HYDRA van, driving them to an unknown location, one of the guards tased the other one and revealed herself to be Maria Hill. She then used a Mouse Hole to escape with the gang.
Agent Hill took them to a secret facility where Nick Fury was resting, revealing that he did not die, though he was severely injured. Hill and Fury told them that Project Insight was only hours away from launching and that they had to act quickly. The Helicarriers would hover in a triangle, connected, targeting all its targets before firing. The only way to prevent this would be to use three special chips that would take away S.H.I.E.L.D.'s control over the Helicarriers. Having lost his suit earlier, Rogers broke into the Smithsonian Institution museum and stole his suit from World War II. After which, the group went off to stop Project Insight.
- "Attention all S.H.I.E.L.D. agents, this is Steve Rogers. You're heard a lot about me over the last few days. Some of you were even ordered to hunt me down. But I think it's time you know the truth. S.H.I.E.L.D. is not what we thought it was. It's been taken over by HYDRA. Alexander Pierce is their leader. The S.T.R.I.K.E. and Insight crew are HYDRA as well. I don't know how many more, but I know they're in the building. They could be standing right next to you. They almost have what they want. Absolute control. They shot Nick Fury. And it won't end there. If you launch those Helicarriers today, HYDRA will be able to kill anyone that stands in their way. Unless we stop them. I know I'm asking a lot. But the price of freedom is high. It always has been. And it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not."
- ―Steve Rogers to Remaining S.H.I.E.L.D. Agents
Captain America, Falcon, and Maria Hill, broke into the Triskelion and took over the control room. Rogers used the microphones to send out a message across the base and informed the staff of HYDRA's infiltration within S.H.I.E.L.D. and that Alexander Pierce was their leader. Rogers told them that they could not allow HYDRA to initiate Project Insight and asked them to stand up against HYDRA with him. Once he had finished his speech, Rogers and Wilson assaulted the Helicarriers and battled the HYDRA guards onboard. When Wilson asked how they would be able to tell the good guys from the bad guys, Rogers told him to look for the ones shooting at him.
They managed to insert two of the chips, with some hardship, but when Falcon was going for the last one, his jet-pack was damaged by the Winter Soldier and he was forced to skydive down to the Triskelion where he got caught up in a fistfight with Agent Brock Rumlow. Now it was all on Rogers. He entered the Helicarrier to put the chip in place before he was confronted by Bucky. Rogers begged Bucky to listen to him, but seeing that Bucky was not going to listen and running out of time, Steve steeled himself for what must be done.
- "I'm not gonna fight you. You're my friend."
"Then finish it. 'Cause I'm with you to the end of the line."
- ―Captain America and the Winter Soldier fighting aboard the Helicarrier
The two former friends fought violently and attempted to take control of the chip; Barnes attempted to shoot Rogers in the side. After a long and brutal battle, Rogers finally managed to subdue Bucky, ultimately putting him in a choke hold. Rogers attempted to get the chip in place with only seconds left before Project Insight would initiate. However, he was shot multiple times by Barnes, including a shot that hit him through the stomach. Using whatever energy he had left, Rogers managed to get the chip in place and Maria Hill took control of the other Helicarriers. Before making them fire upon each other she acknowledged that Rogers was still on-board, but he commanded her to do it anyway.
The Helicarrier that Rogers and Bucky were in was the last remaining one after the other two exploded. It crashed into the Triskelion, causing it to collapse. As the Helicarrier continued to fall, debris landed on Bucky, trapping him. Rogers freed the trapped Winter Soldier who immediately betrayed him. He still refused to fight Bucky, however, and dropped his shield allowing Bucky to secure an easy victory over him. Bucky began to savagely beat Rogers. Before Rogers lost consciousness, he promised Bucky to be with him "till the end of the line"; a promise Bucky gave him decades ago. This caused Bucky to realize what he was doing to his long-time friend. Rogers then fell into the water below and nearly drowned, but Bucky dived in and saved him, disappearing afterwards.
Search for the Winter Soldier
- "You're going after him."
"You don't have to come with me."
"I know. When do we start?"
- ―Sam and Steve just before beginning their search for Bucky
Rogers woke up some time later in a hospital, where Wilson filled him in on what had happened after he was found. S.H.I.E.L.D. had gone through some major changes: Nick Fury was officially dead, and he had destroyed all evidence of being alive, even replacing his eye-patch for sunglasses.
Standing beside Fury's headstone, Fury ordered Rogers to tell anyone who asked that he was dead as he left to thwart HYDRA operations in Europe. Romanoff went to a Senate hearing to defend Rogers and herself, saying that they could not arrest them because they are the best qualified to protect the world. Now that her secrets were revealed, she needed a new identity. Rogers decided to start looking, with the help of Wilson, for Bucky Barnes, so that he could convince him of who he really was.
Reassembling the Avengers
With the rising threat of HYDRA, the Avengers were officially reassembled, with the financial backing of Tony Stark and Rogers leading the team again. Using the former Stark Tower, now renamed Avengers Tower, as their headquarters, they embarked on several missions to ruin HYDRA's plans for world domination. When he had free time, Rogers continued his search for Bucky Barnes.
- "Let's take 'me down fast, boys!"
- ―Captain America
While searching through files about Barnes, Rogers was informed by J.A.R.V.I.S. that the team was assembling to help Black Widow in Sudan. Captain America led the team into the battle, where they encountered many HYDRA operatives in Chitauri Armor. Together the team defeated the soldiers, along with their leader, Doctor Jensen.
- "Baron Strucker. HYDRA's number one thug."
"Technically, I'm a thug for S.H.I.E.L.D."
- ―Captain America and Baron Wolfgang von Strucker
Rogers led the Avengers in an assault on Baron Wolfgang von Strucker's base, having learned that Strucker was using the Scepter to create an army of enhanced soldiers. Rogers rode his motorcycle into the battle, throwing his shield at his enemies while commanding the Avengers' actions. When Tony Stark cussed while trying to break through the base's defence systems during the battle, Rogers told him to mind his language - much to Stark's amusement. Rogers replied by saying, "it just slipped out," while throwing his motorcycle at a HYDRA convoy. Rogers ignored the continuing teases and fought alongside Thor, using their combined strength to destroy the HYDRA Tanks.
During the battle, Hawkeye was injured. Rogers ordered Thor to take him to the Avengers' Quinjet to receive treatment. Rogers broke into the base and located Baron Wolfgang von Strucker. During his confrontation with Strucker, Rogers was attacked by Wanda Maximoff who used her powers to throw Rogers down a flight of stairs. Rogers quickly recovered from the attack and knocked out Strucker by hitting him with his shield, and took him into custody while the rest of the Avengers defeated the remaining HYDRA army and Tony Stark recovered the Scepter.
With the mission a success and HYDRA officially defeated, Rogers with the other Avengers flew back to the Avengers Tower while Clint Barton and Bruce Banner recovered from their experiences during the battle. Along the way, Rogers, Tony Stark and Thor observed the Scepter and commented on their victory. Stark requested to Thor that he be allowed to keep the Scepter under observation for a few days to study it before they had a party to celebrate their victory. Thor agreed to keep the Scepter on Earth, and Rogers also agreed that a party was a good idea.
Once they arrived at Avengers Tower, the team was greeted by Maria Hill. While Helen Cho took Clint Barton away for treatment, Hill briefed Rogers on the Maximoff twins. She explained their poverty and how they lost their parents leading to them volunteering for Baron Wolfgang von Strucker's experiments. Rogers expressed his understanding of the twins' decision, comparing his own decision to allow a German scientist to experiment on him, referring to Abraham Erskine's Project Rebirth. When Hill noted that they were not at war like he was in the 1940's, Rogers argued that the Maximoffs were.
- "No, Natasha, she… she likes to flirt."
"I’ve seen her flirt, up close. This ain’t that. Look, as maybe the world’s leading authority on “waiting too long”, don’t. You both deserve a win."
- ―Bruce Banner and Steve Rogers
Later, Rogers joined the other Avengers, plus Sam Wilson and James Rhodes, for a party in Avengers Tower to celebrate their victory over HYDRA. Rogers and Wilson discussed working together and their continued search for Bucky Barnes. When Rogers suggested Wilson could assist the Avengers on missions, Wilson claimed not to be interested in joining the team. They went on to discuss Rogers finding himself a house in Brooklyn.
Later, Rogers and Thor drank thousand year old alcohol from Asgard with a group of World War II veterans. Although Thor deemed only himself and the Super-Soldier Rogers to be strong enough to drink the powerful alcohol, one of the veterans insisted upon having a drink of the Asgardian alcohol. Thor relented with Rogers' nod of approval which resulted in the man having to be carried away from Avengers Tower for instantaneously becoming too drunk.
Rogers then came across Bruce Banner speaking to Natasha Romanoff at the bar. When Romanoff left, Rogers spoke to Banner, telling him that Romanoff was clearly flirting with him. Rogers insisted that as he knew what it was like to leave love too long, Banner should not let the chance for a happy life go past, noting that he had been flirted with by Romanoff in the past and the way she spoke to Banner was more than mere flirting. As Rogers walked away, Banner pondered this before questioning how much Romanoff had flirted with Rogers in the past.
After most of the guests had gone home, the group, joined by Helen Cho, took turns trying to lift Mjølnir. Clint Barton was the first to try and when he failed, both Tony Stark and James Rhodes tried using Iron Man Gauntlets but still failed. When Rogers tried, he was able to briefly nudge the hammer, much to Thor's surprise, but in the end was still unsuccessful. Ultimately, Stark suggested that the hammer was imprinted with Thor's fingerprints but Thor insisted that none of them were worthy enough.
- "I had to kill the other guy... He was a good guy."
"You killed someone?"
"Wouldn't have been my first call. But, down in the real world we're faced with ugly choices."
- ―Ultron and Steve Rogers
The party was interrupted when a broken down robot stepped forward, calling itself Ultron. The robot claimed that none of the Avengers could ever be worthy, as they were all killers who wanted to protect the world but not allow it to change. Ultron then claimed to have killed someone to get to them, but refused to tell Rogers whom he had killed.
Announcing that the only path to peace on Earth was the Avengers' deaths, Ultron and some hijacked Iron Legion drones attacked the group, proclaiming humanity inferior and ready for extinction. Rogers and the rest of the group engaged in a violent battle with Ultron. Rogers used his strength to pull one of the drones apart with his bare hands to protect those who could not defend themselves. The Avengers eventually came out victorious and Ultron's first form was destroyed by Thor. However, Ultron managed to escape by accessing the internet.
- "How do we cope with something like that?"
"Then we'll do that together."
- ―Tony Stark and Steve Rogers
As the team regrouped, they discussed what had occurred, and Tony Stark admitted his involvement in the creation of Ultron; although he still strongly defended the idea as he believed it was a beneficial plan to save the world. Thor, clearly furious at Stark's recklessness, stepped in and grabbed Stark by the throat, but Rogers was able to calm him down. Stark explained there was a war coming they were not ready for, but Rogers insisted that they would fight and die together as a team.
Rogers spoke to Maria Hill shortly afterwards and was told that Ultron's attempts to launch nuclear missiles had been stopped by a mysterious ally. The team later learned that Ultron had sent them a message by murdering Baron Wolfgang von Strucker, leaving the word "PEACE" written in his blood. Rogers collected Clint Barton to hear the update. The Avengers soon learned that Ultron had wiped out their computer files on Strucker. Together, they went through their paperwork and discovered that Ultron would be going after Vibranium which he would get that from Ulysses Klaue in Johannesburg.
- "I know you've suffered."
"Ugh, Captain America, God's righteous man, pretending you could live without war. I can't physically throw up in my mouth but..."
- ―Captain America and Ultron
They traveled to Klaue's location and found Ultron along with Pietro and Wanda Maximoff, the powered twins who had attacked the team earlier. The Avengers learned that Ultron had already purchased the Vibranium from the now injured Ulysses Klaue. Rogers attempted to gain the Maximoff's trust but they seemed to have no interest in siding with the Avengers and Ultron simply mocked Rogers.
When peace negotiations quickly failed, the team engaged in a fierce fight with Ultron, the Maximoff twins and Klaue's soldiers. While Iron Man and Ultron fought over the skyline, Captain America and Thor teamed up to destroy many of the Ultron Sentries while Black Widow and Hawkeye took out Klaue's soldiers. Eventually, Rogers was able to knock Pietro Maximoff to the ground with a hit from his shield, ordering him to stay down.
Rogers took a direct punch to the face by Pietro Maximoff before Wanda Maximoff used her powers to make Rogers see visions of the life he could have had with his former comrades and Peggy Carter after World War II. Rogers saw himself in a ballroom in the 1940's when Carter approached him and told him he could finally stop fighting. When he turned around, however, everyone had vanished and Rogers stood alone. The tactic was used in an attempt to break Rogers' heart when confronted by his tragic situation.
With most members of the team suffering from these visions and Iron Man fighting the deranged Hulk in the middle of Johannesburg, a decision was made for the team to escape. While onboard the Quinjet, Clint Barton flew the team to safety while Maria Hill updated them on the public's perception of the Avengers after the Hulk's destructive rampage. While Rogers, Thor and Romanoff tried to cope with what they had seen, Barton made the call for them to hide out at his homestead where they could not be found and could rest up for a brief period.
- "Every time someone tries to end a war before it starts, innocent people die. Every time."
- ―Steve Rogers speaks to Tony Stark
When the team arrived at Clint Barton's Homestead they discovered that Barton was married with two children and one more on the way. Clint Barton explained that the reason the team were unaware of his family was due to Nick Fury helping him to have this second peaceful life outside S.H.I.E.L.D. where his family could be safe. Once introductions had been made, Thor informed the team that he intended to try and learn more about the vision he had had, and left the farm to look for answers.
Rogers and Tony Stark went outside and chopped wood together. They discussed how Wanda Maximoff had been able to use her powers to pull the team apart. When the conversation moved to how Stark and Bruce Banner inadvertently created Ultron, they began to argue and debate whether or not Stark should have ever experimented on the Scepter. As the argument became more intense Rogers ripped a log in half with his bare hands. Rogers told him that trying to end wars before they start results in the deaths of innocent people.
The team were later joined by Nick Fury who motivated them to gather together and restart the fight against Ultron, noting that they only had their wit and their will to save the world but must stand and fight together. Bruce Banner worked out that Ultron's plan would be to create another body made of synthetic tissue using the Cradle, and would likely do this with the help of Helen Cho. Rogers spoke to Stark and Fury before they left as Fury requested the help of Maria Hill.
The team tracked down Ultron at Helen Cho's lab in Seoul where he was attempting to build a new being. When Rogers entered the lab he found Cho lying injured on the floor after being shot by Ultron. She explained to him that the being in the Cradle that Ultron had stolen had a powerful gem on its head, which could not be destroyed without creating a massive explosion which could destroy all of Seoul.
As Ultron attempted to escape in a truck, Rogers engaged him and they began an intense battle with Ultron insisting that the being in the Cradle had the potential to create real change which was the Avengers' nightmare. Rogers threw his shield at Ultron but the robot was able to knock it off the truck. As Ultron gained the upper hand and began to strangle Rogers, Natasha Romanoff caught up with them on her motorbike and threw Rogers his shield back which he used to knock Ultron's hand back before continuing to battle the robot.
Soon Rogers and Ultron were thrown onto a train and continued their fight; Rogers was helped by Pietro and Wanda Maximoff who had betrayed Ultron after learning Ultron's plan to eradicate all human life. Seeing that he was outnumbered, Ultron destroyed the controls of the train and escaped. Rogers ordered the Maximoffs to assist him; he sent Pietro to move people out of the way of the train while Wanda used her powers to successfully stop the train, saving thousands of lives.
By the end of the battle, the Avengers took control of the Cradle with the being inside but Natasha Romanoff was taken prisoner by Ultron. Rogers recruited the Maximoffs as temporary members of the Avengers, seeing their willingness to stop Ultron's plans. Before they left, Rogers spoke to Wanda Maximoff, who expressed her fears of Tony Stark getting possession of Ultron's new body, making the comparisons between the war mongering A.I. and Stark as they both intended to save the world but could not see that they were destroying it.
Birth of the Vision
- "Are you on our side?"
"I don't think it's that simple."
- ―Captain America and Vision
Back at the Avengers Tower the team began searching for Romanoff and discovered that Tony Stark and Bruce Banner were attempting to transfer J.A.R.V.I.S.' consciousness into the being Ultron had created. When Rogers saw this he and the Maximoff twins confronted them and they engaged in a short fight. Their fight was quickly interrupted when Thor arrived and used his lightning to activate the Cradle and give life to the being.
The being launched out of the Cradle and briefly attacked the team, causing Thor to throw it across the room. The being stopped mid-flight when it stared out of the window at the city. The being apologized for its mistake and called itself the Vision, giving itself a uniform and cape based on Thor's uniform and promised to assist the Avengers in their war with Ultron. In an attempt to show its worthiness to the team, as Rogers and the others questioned it, the Vision casually lifted Mjølnir and handed it to Thor, proving his trustworthiness.
The Avengers then teamed up with the Maximoff twins and regained their weapons ready to go into war with Ultron. They discovered that Ultron was heading back to Sokovia with a plan to destroy the world. Rogers gathered with Tony Stark and Bruce Banner to discuss their plan of attack, Stark noted that it was unlikely that they would all survive the battle but Rogers did not let this stop him, noting that he had no other plans. As they flew to Sokovia in the Quinjet, Rogers gave a speech where he informed the team that their priority was to get the people of Sokovia away from the battle before engaging Ultron.
As the Avengers arrived in Sokovia, Rogers attached his shield and grabbed his helmet. He walked down to see some graffiti of him with the word 'Fasista' written on it. In disgust, Rogers threw his helmet back onto the Quinjet. Scarlet Witch informed Rogers that the bridge was the main way out and Quicksilver said that they would cover the others. Rogers tells them two get everyone out. As Rogers goes to evacuate the civilians, he walks by who notices that graffiti and says it was not bad. Rogers sent the team to evacuate the civilians from the danger. Eventually, Ultron made his move and used a device to levitate Novi Grad and to drop it on Earth to destroy the planet. Rogers led the Avengers in the battle against the Ultron Sentries. They knew that if Ultron was able to activate the device's engine he would destroy the entire city, so they defended it against a seemingly endless horde of Ultron Robots.
As the army of machines continued to attack the civilians of the city, Rogers spotted a woman in a car dangling on the edge of the broken bridge. Rogers attempted to save her but was seconds too late as the car fell from a bridge, tumbling hundreds of feet. Thor came to their aid and flew down, pulling the woman out of the car and throwing her to Rogers, who was able to pull her back to safety. Another Ultron Sentries then attempted to kill them but Rogers was able to use his shield to rip it in half before throwing its mangled body off the bridge, mocking it as it fell.
Rogers informed the Avengers that they are leading the civilian to the town hall. Rogers meets up with Scarlet Witch and Black Widow who questions why Scarlet Witch is wearing her jacket. Rogers tells Black Widow that she is with them, which does't explain the jacket according to Black Widow. Hawkeye meets up with them and tells them that if they get any higher, people will start dropping. Rogers tells Scarlet Witch to get the people out form hiding, and for Hawkeye to watch her back. Black Widow questions what they do, which Rogers replies that today they fight robots, which Quicksilver comes in and jokes about it saying is next month better for him.
While Hawkeye, Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver battled the Ultron Sentries in the city center, Captain America and Thor fought the incoming army on the outer limits of the city, protecting the citizens from harm. When Black Widow arrived she and Rogers fought side by side, assisting each other until the first wave of Sentries were all destroyed. During this time Iron Man flew outside the city to try and work out how to stop Ultron, when he suggested that they destroy the city, Rogers insisted that they would not leave the city and risk the lives of the thousands of citizens.
- "Fury, you son of a bitch."
"Oh, you kiss your mother with that mouth?"
- ―Captain America and Nick Fury
Eventually, Nick Fury and Maria Hill arrived onboard a Helicarrier and used it to enact Rogers' plan and evacuate the civilians while War Machine joined the battle. Rogers was surprised yet delighted at Fury's surprise arrival, jokingly calling him a son of a bitch, to which Fury teased if he spoke to his mother the same way. Fury sent out a squad of rescue boats to evacuate the citizens while Rogers and the Avengers ensured no one was left behind.
Protecting the Key
- "Is that the best you've got!?"
Ultron summons an army of drones
"You HAD to ask.""
- ―Thor and Captain America
Seeing the Avengers were winning the battle, Ultron attempted to activate the key and destroy the planet. Captain America and the rest of the team arrived in the church and surrounded the key in order to protect it. When Thor mocked Ultron, the robot showed off his army of hundreds of Ultron Sentries. Rogers then turned to Thor and commented on how he had to provoke Ultron. As Ultron continued to monolouge about how he intended to destroy them, Iron Man said they would defeat him the way Rogers had suggested, together.
With the challenge accepted, Ultron unleashed his army of Ultron Sentries upon them. Rogers and the Avengers put all their force into destroying the seemingly endless horde of Ultron Sentries, with Rogers ripping off their heads and crushing them under his shield, until finally they were pushed back. When Ultron attempted to join the fight in his strongest form, the Vision, Iron Man and Thor nearly destroyed him with their combined powers.
With the battle almost won, Rogers ordered the team to get to a rescue boat and leave the city before Iron Man and Thor stayed behind and destroyed the city, despite knowing that there was a strong chance of their deaths. Scarlet Witch agreed to stay behind to protect the key and Rogers made his way to safety. However, before they left, Ultron took control of their Quinjet and used it to fire a hail of bullets upon the Avengers, killing Quicksilver in the process.
Rogers quietly carried Pietro's body onto the rescue boat while Hawkeye saved a young boy and reunited him with his sister. Without warning, Ultron managed to activate the key and Rogers was barely able to escape onto the Transporter as Novi Grad fell towards the Earth. Thor and Iron Man were able to destroy the device, saving the earth. With the battle won, Vision was able to destroy the final Ultron body, effectively killing him.
The Avengers were disbanded in the aftermath of the Battle of Sokovia, with Tony Stark and Clint Barton retiring and Bruce Banner still missing in action. Rogers, Stark and Thor met at the New Avengers Facility where they discussed the Vision keeping the Mind Stone in his head, Thor insisted that he could as he had proven himself worthy by lifting Mjølnir, although Rogers questioned if this counted as Vision was a machine. Thor then returned to Asgard to learn more about the Infinity Stones.
Tony Stark then departed the facility. Rogers then explored the New Avengers Facility, which had been formed by Nick Fury, with the help of Maria Hill, Erik Selvig, Helen Cho and other former S.H.I.E.L.D. agents to train a new Avengers team, consisting of Captain America, Black Widow, Vision, Scarlet Witch, War Machine and Falcon. After a conversation with Stark about settling down like Barton, Rogers finally chose to let go of the past and accept the world he is living in.
Attack of Ultimo
HYDRA collected many of the parts of the destroyed Ultron Sentries and took them to an undisclosed location in Eastern Europe, where they used the parts to create a giant robot called Ultimo. HYDRA then used the Ultimo to attack a small village. Rogers led the Avengers to an attack on the giant robot and manged to destroy Ultimo.
Rogers led fellow Avengers Black Widow, Falcon and Scarlet Witch in a mission in Lagos, Nigeria to stop Brock Rumlow - now severed from HYDRA and working as a mercenary. Rogers observed the streets from a bulding when he saw a suspicious garbage truck. He told Falcon to go after the truck. The latest sent Redwing after it, discovering that the truck was at maximum capacity; Romanoff realized that the truck was a battering ram. The truck drove into the Institute for Infectious Diseases, when Rumlow's mercenaries managed to break in. The team went after them.
Falcon drops Rogers from the sky as he proceeded to take out some of Rumlow' mercenaries. Falcon located which floor Rumlow was, so Rogers was thrown to it by Scarlet Witch. Rogers fought his way to Rumlow to discover that the had escaped with a biological weapon. Rogers reached the balcony, when Rumlow attacked him from an armed vehicle. Rumlow and his mercenaries went to the market and the Avengers after them. Once Rogers arrived, Rumlow attached to his shield a bomb. Rogers threw it, only to be attacked by Rumlow.
Rogers and Rumlow battled, in revenge for what had happened to him during the Battle at the Triskelion. Rogers defeated Rumlow and removed the latest's mask. Rogers then interrogated him about the information of his. He told Rogers that Bucky Barnes had sent him. Runlow triggered his suicide vest to kill himself and Rogers. However, Scarlet Witch used her powers to save Rogers and the immediate civilians by throwing Rumlow into a nearby building. After they secured the weapon and upon seeing the carnage, Rogers instructed Wilson to call fire and rescue to the scene.
- "If we sign these, we surrender our right to choose. What if this panel sends us somewhere we don't think we should go? What if it's somewhere we need to go, and they don't let us? We may not be perfect, but the safest hands are still our own."
- ―Steve Rogers to the Avengers
A month after the event, Wanda Maximoff still felt guilty for the death of the civilians. Rogers tried to comfort her by telling her that sometimes they could not save everyone. Vision entered the room and informed him that Secretary of State Thaddeus Ross was coming to the New Avengers Facility. The new Avengers members and Tony Stark were present, as Ross explained to them that as a result of many catastrophic events in which they had been involved over the years, the Sokovia Accords were drafted to regulate super heroes and were signed by 117 nations.
The team was divided on the issue, with each member beginning to take sides. Stark fully supported the bill, feeling the regulation was necessary to do good and protect people, making an example of a young man who had died in Sokovia. Stark tried to convince Rogers, but the latter was hesitant. Rogers felt that the Avengers were successful because they did not have a government to which they answered; deliberation of when to deploy the team would render the Avengers too slow to act in emergencies and prevent them from determining when and where to act. While Stark felt guilty over creating Ultron, Rogers felt that the intervention of another party could have similar results to the S.H.I.E.L.D. infiltration by HYDRA. Ross informed the team that refusing to sign the Accords was tantamount to resignation. If they acted outside the law again, they would be branded criminals and sent to jail.
Death of Peggy Carter
- "When I came out of the ice, I thought I wanted to ignore she was gone. When I found out that she was alive... I was just lucky to have her."
- ―Steve Rogers to Natasha Romanoff
During the meeting, Rogers received a text telling him that Peggy Carter had passed away peacefully in her sleep. At the funeral in London, Rogers' beliefs on the Sokovia Accords were affirmed by a eulogy given by Sharon Carter, who revealed her relation to the former Carter; she was Peggy's niece. Rogers stayed in the church after the funeral, alone, acknowledging that another close friend was deceased. Natasha Romanoff arrived and consoled Rogers. They discussed the Accords, and what it would mean for Rogers in the team. Romanoff felt it was necessary to sign, but Rogers was unmoved.
Rogers and Carter were in Vienna where the Sokovia Accords were underway to be signed. They talked about Carter's work at the CIA and about Peggy, when suddenly Sam Wilson came to inform him that a bomb was detonated outside the Vienna International Centre. They watched the news reporting that the prime suspect was Bucky Barnes. 
Hunt for Winter Soldier
Rogers called Natasha Romanoff and asked her if she was alright. After she said she was fine, she urged him not to go after Barnes. He refused, saying that he was the most capable to confront him and he hung up. Rogers and Sam Wilson met in a nearby bar, and Wilson asked him if Romanoff had told him to not interfere. Rogers said that Barnes would have done the same thing. Sharon Carter then entered, giving Barnes' location in Romania and a warning to Rogers that the Joint Counter Terrorist Centre had been given the order to kill Barnes.
Against the warnings of Romanoff, Rogers and Wilson went to Romania. Rogers entered Barnes's apartment and saw Barnes. While Wilson updated him about the task force's location, Rogers asked Barnes if he remembered him. Barnes said he did since he had read about him at the Smithsonian Institution. Rogers warned him about the task force coming for him, as they thought Barnes had caused the Bombing of the Vienna International Centre, but Barnes assured him that he had not done it. Rogers asked Barnes why he had pulled him out of the river during the Battle at the Triskelion, but Barnes said he did not know why, although Rogers thought otherwise.
Once the Joint Counter Terrorist Centre operatives broke into the apartment, Rogers and Barnes fought against them together. The two escaped, but Barnes was attacked by Black Panther. As the two fought each other, a helicopter shot towards them. Rogers asked Wilson to deflect it. Barnes escaped through a tunnel, with Black Panther and the Joint Counter Terrorist Centre operatives after him. Rogers went after Barnes to defend him.
The pursuit continued, Rogers running after Black Panther. Because he was so fast, Rogers entered one of the Joint Counter Terrorist Centre cars. Black Panther held onto the car and Rogers could not get rid of him, asking Wilson to help him. Barnes threw a bomb to the tunnel's entrance and Black Panther managed to catch him. Rogers got out from the spinning car, only to be arrested by the Joint Counter Terrorist Centre operatives and James Rhodes, who called him a criminal. Black Panther revealed himself to be T'Challa, the prince of Wakanda.
Fugitive of the Law
- "If I see a situation pointed south, I can't ignore it. Sometimes I wish I could."
"No, you don't."
"No, I don't."
- ―Steve Rogers and Tony Stark
The four were brought to the Joint Counter Terrorist Centre Building in Berlin. During the transition, Rogers asked T'Challa if his Panther Habit was made of Vibranium as it had proven to be bullet proof. He replied that he took the title of the Black Panther after his father had died in the Bombing of the Vienna International Centre. Barnes was held in a containment cell and Rogers, Sam Wilson, and T'Challa met with Everett Ross, the deputy task force commander. He told them their equipment, meaning the EXO-7 Falcon and Captain America's Shield, had been confiscated for the foreseeable future.
They were offered exoneration on the condition they sign the Sokovia Accords, but Rogers and Wilson refused to sign. Tony Stark arrived, extending an olive branch by offering Rogers a set of antique fountain pens, and asking his friend once more to sign. Rogers almost agreed, but he felt he must stand by his principles. They argued, including the house arrest Stark had ordered Vision to do for Wanda Maximoff in the New Avengers Facility. Rogers still refused to sign the Accords.
Rogers and Wilson, with Sharon Carter, watched the interview of a contained Barnes by the psycho-analyst, Theo Broussard. Rogers suspected the motive behind releasing Barnes's picture to the public. Carter realized that he thought someone had framed Barnes only to get him; Rogers suspected the psycho-analyst. Suddenly, the power across the headquarters went out. Rogers and Wilson hurried to the interrogation room, finding the psycho-analyst on the ground without Barnes. Rogers asked him who was he and what he wanted, so he replied he wanted to see "an empire fall".
Barnes suddenly attacked Rogers and Wilson, easily subduing Wilson and engaging in a brief scuffle with Rogers, using his Prosthetic Arm to throw him down an elevator shaft. Rogers went after him, finding him on a helicopter. With his strength, Rogers managed to hold the helicopter to the landing platform and prevent the escape. Barnes fell to the river and Rogers pulled him out. The duo took Barnes to an abandoned building and subdued him.
They questioned him if he was still under brainwashing of the psycho-analyst, who was really Helmut Zemo, and deliberated their course of action; telling Stark or the others would get them back where they started, but doing otherwise could make them wanted men. Barnes elaborates the potential motives of Zemo. He believed that Zemo was traveling to the HYDRA Siberian Facility that had kept him when he was in HYDRA. He suspected he would use the Winter Soldiers, highly trained HYDRA assassins, for his goals. Rogers said to Wilson that they were alone in the fight, but Wilson said that he knew a guy who could assist them.
- "Suit up!"
- ―Steve Rogers to his team
Knowing the threat an army of Winter Soldiers posed to the world, Rogers, Sam Wilson, and Bucky Barnes weighed their options. They decided they must put a team together to stop Helmut Zemo and to resist Tony Stark and his team. He connected with Clint Barton, asked him to free Wanda Maximoff from the New Avengers Facility and then to recruit Scott Lang.
Rogers met with Sharon Carter in a parking lot. She gave them their armor and weapons, and she and Rogers shared a long overdue moment of intimacy, to the cheers and howls of Roger's friends. After she left, Barton arrived with Maximoff and Lang, who was eager to meet Captain America and the other heroes and agreed with their plight, even though Rogers informed him that he would once again be a criminal. They planned to take a Quinjet at the Leipzig/Halle Airport and use it to get to Zemo, although they knew Stark and his team would wait for them. Rogers told his team to suit up.
- "What do we do, Cap?"
- ―Sam Wilson and Steve Rogers
Captain America and his companions arrived at the Leipzig/Halle Airport to take a Quinjet to find Helmut Zemo. Rogers went to the field alone, where he was intercepted by Iron Man and his Avengers, who offered Rogers and his team one last chance to surrender. Rogers tried to convince Stark that Zemo was behind their fight, but he did not listen. Suddenly, Spider-Man showed up, using his Web-Shooters to take Rogers' shield and to tie his hands. Falcon found the Quinjet, so Hawkeye freed Rogers and Ant-Man brought his shield back. The two teams then fought each other.
Rogers fought against War Machine and Black Panther. As Black Panther ran to Bucky Barnes, Rogers stopped him. Ant-Man came to him, telling him to throw the shrunken truck at the Pym Particles Disks. Once he did that, the truck grew and exploded. Captain America's team reunited and ran to the Quinjet, but Vision arrived and blocked their way with his energy blast. As both teams were facing each other, Falcon asked Rogers what should they do next, so he replied they would fight.
Captain America and his team ran to Iron Man's team and the two fought each other. Captain America managed to bring Spider-Man to the ground and he told him that he did not understand what was happening. They fought each other and Captain America dropped a platform at him, forcing him to hold it. Rogers asked him from where he came, so Spider-Man replied that he was from Queens. Rogers smiled and said he was from Brooklyn. Rogers and Barnes reunited and ran to the Quinjet. Ant-Man had a plan to distract the other team, so he grew in size. As they ran to the hangar, Vision used his energy blast to collapse it, but Scarlet Witch used her power and prevented it.
The two entered the hangar; however, they were intercepted there by Black Widow. Rogers did not want to fight against her. To Rogers and Barnes' surprise, she let them leave, repeatedly shocking Black Panther, who was about to stop them, to keep him in place, giving the two the chance to reach the Quinjet. As they departed, Iron Man and War Machine followed them through the air as they attempted to fly away. In turn, Falcon followed the two armored Avengers to try to stop them. But only after the two changed direction did Rogers and Barnes had an opportunity to leave. 
- "Stay down. Final warning."
"I can do this all day."
- ―Iron Man and Captain America
On their way to the HYDRA Siberian Facility, Bucky Barnes said to Rogers that he felt he was not worthy enough so Rogers would lose his friends. Rogers said to him that what Barnes had done over the years was not his fault. The two entered the facility, a few hours after Helmut Zemo.
As they searched for Zemo, Tony Stark arrived at the facility and declared a truce to stop Zemo. Rogers was happy that Stark finally agreed with him. The trio found the Winter Soldiers, all deceased. Zemo revealed himself behind a bunker and explained that he successfully managed to bring him and Stark to the base, after a year of planning. Rogers realized that he was from Sokovia and wanted revenge because of the battle there.
Blaming the Avengers for the loss of his family during the battle, he had orchestrated a plot to tear them apart from the inside. He then started a video of a car on a dark road which Stark instantly. The three watched it, as it revealed Barnes, under HYDRA's control, killing Howard and Maria. Stark then moved to attack Barnes before Rogers held him back. Tony then demanded Rogers to tell him if he had known that Barnes had killed his parents.
Rogers revealed that he had known Stark's parents were killed by HYDRA, but didn't know it was Bucky. However, Tony saw right through the lie and demanded the truth, forcing Rogers to admit he'd known for years. Already enraged by Rogers' decisions over the past few days, Tony snapped and attacked Barnes with the intent to kill him. He forced Steve into clamps before the super soldier broke free with his shield as Stark and Barnes had destroyed the base's main floor. As the Mark XLVI, was pinned under debris Rogers told Barnes to flee before he attempted to reason with Tony. When Tony refused to listen, Rogers was forced to damage one of the suit's bootjets before Tony trapped him with the laser.
Rogers caught up to the fight, managing to reflect a lethal repulsor blast back at Stark before being separated from his shield and trapped on a lower level. When Stark tried to crush Barnes under the Mark XLVI's weight, Rogers tackled the Avenger taking the two down to the main level. Rogers again attempted to reason with Stark who made clear he was done listening to Rogers before attacking again, overpowering the super soldier before Barnes intervened with the shield, turning the fight into a two on one brawl. Tony responded to the uneven odds by simply blasting Rogers point blank disabling him for nearly two minutes.
While Rogers convulsed in pain, Barnes managed to force Stark against the wall and tried to rip out the main Arc Reactor. Stark responded with the Unibeam, disintegrating Barnes' robotic arm before seemingly killing him with a standard blast. Recovering, the enraged Rogers stormed towards Stark, deflecting the repulsor blasts with his shield before forcing Stark back against the wall and pommeling him relentlessly. Knowing he stood no chance up close, Stark changed his tactics, anticipating Rogers' moves and caught the shield before blasting it away and brutally beating down the captain. Utterly defeated, outclassed by the Mark XLVI, and having lost everything, Rogers tried to appeal to Stark to make him understand why he did what he did before Stark bitterly commented that they were enemies now and threw him aside, giving him a final warning to stand down.
Bloodied and exhausted, Rogers still refused to stand down, even as Stark charged a repulsor blast. A still alive Barnes managed to grab Stark's boot before Stark broke Barnes' nose providing a distraction for Rogers, who grabbed Stark from behind and violently slammed him into the ground. Rogers pinned him to the floor and pommeled him with every bit of remaining strength he had, smashing his helmet to pieces and shattering his arc reactor with his shield. As Rogers carried the injured Barnes away Stark claimed Rogers did not deserve the shield, as Howard Stark had made it. Acknowledging that he had proved himself unworthy of the weapon and out of sympathy for his former friend, he surrendered it back to the Stark family and left the scene with Barnes.
Rogers and Barnes were later granted sanctuary in Wakanda by T'Challa. Barnes decided to go back into cryosleep until the Wakandan scientists would find a way deprogram his HYDRA brainwashing. Rogers thanked T'Challa for his actions, but warned him that if the world's governments would discover that Wakanda was harboring the Winter Soldier, they will come, to which T'Challa boldly stated that they may try.
Seeking to make amends, he sent Tony a package containing a letter and a cell phone. In the letter, Rogers apologized for the events that had transpired, specifically withholding the knowledge of Stark's parents' murder, and the fact that they couldn't agree on the Sokovia Accords. He assured Stark that if the latter would ever need him, or any of the other Avengers, he would be a phone call away. Not long after, Rogers freed the other of his Avengers from the Raft and fled.
- "You ready to follow Captain America into the jaws of death?"
"Hell no. That little guy from Brooklyn who was too dumb not to run away from a fight, I'm following him."
- ―Steve Rogers and Bucky Barnes
Considered by many as the world's first and greatest superhero, Captain America has been defined by his courage and righteousness.
Steve Rogers has always had a noble and honest spirit, intolerant towards injustice and abuses of power. Since he grew up weak and small, he learned on his own that true strength is having the courage to fight against abuse no matter one's power and having compassion for the innocent. Despite being transformed into a perfect human by the Super Soldier Serum, he maintained his original spirit and character. Since his reawakening, Rogers was saddened by losing so much from his time but still retains the same values he had since the 1940s. Due to his famed past exploits and his continued works to save the world, Rogers is generally respected by many; even if he doesn't seek acknowledgement for his deeds. He was also very empathetic being able to understand and relate to both Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver before meeting them and understanding Tony Stark's motivation during the Avengers' Civil War despite Iron Man being on the opposing side.
What separates Steve Rogers from the other Avengers is his humanity and morality. Steve Rogers is an extremely dedicated person. Despite being physically weak and small, and rejected many times due to his frail health, he still tried to enlist in the Army during World War II. Steve tried to be of service in whatever way he was allowed; even when his talents were wasted when he was ordered to inspire the American soldiers and support the American war effort by starring in U.S. propaganda. When he heard that the 107th battalion, including Bucky, was captured in a nearby HYDRA facility, Rogers disobeyed his superior's orders and went behind enemy lines in a seemingly suicide mission and rescued them. Rogers finds the courage to defend the weak and innocent, not hesitating to stand up to corrupt bureaucrats or powerful beings like Loki. A true hero, Rogers is more than willing to sacrifice himself to protect others.
Rogers is not afraid to do what's right for the greater good and make the tough choices, even if it might be costly to him personally. As a soldier and an Avenger, Rogers knows full well that war has its casualties and some of his dearest friends or even himself may need to make the ultimate sacrifice. Rogers once had to tell Natasha Romanoff to close the Chitauri portal, despite Stark not being out yet. Rogers was also willing to fight his best friend Bucky Barnes when the latter was preventing Steve from saving over three million innocent lives. Nevertheless, Captain America will always prioritize civilian lives. For example, Rogers would not abandon Novi Grad until all of its citizens were evacuated; even when Ultron was planning on smashing the city to the ground to create more damage to Earth.
As seen during World War II and the Chitauri Invasion, Captain America has demonstrated impressive charisma and leadership skills. He is able to command respect from his fellow Avengers and the undying loyalty of his Howling Commandos. Rogers' extraordinary ability to not only inspire the nobility in others, but also assess combat situations and come up with effective strategies made his fellow Avengers recognize him as the leader of their team. During the Chitauri attack on New York, Captain America focused on directing civilian authorities in order to keep the citizens safe and off the streets while the rest of the Avengers focused their efforts on taking out the Chitauri's military assets. Even when outnumbered by the forces of HYDRA within S.H.I.E.L.D., Steve was able to get Wilson, Hill, Romanoff and even Fury, along with the loyal agents within S.H.I.E.L.D. to fight back against HYDRA and stop Project Insight from being achieved. As a result, Rogers dealt HYDRA their first devastating blow in decades, since he fought against them in World War II.
Captain America's uncompromising sense of morality and selflessness sometimes puts him at odds with Tony Stark, who is more comfortable with a grey morality to protect people. This has led to several moments of bickering, arguments, and almost physical fights over the direction of the Avengers in how to protect people. Despite their differences, however, they both respect each other, work well together, and have even formed a close friendship. This difference in attitude, reached a head in the Avengers Civil War, where Tony sought to compromise with governments who were increasingly intolerant with collateral damage while Rogers refused to do so believing it would inhibit the Avengers' response time, eventually causing him to become a fugitive.
While Captain America's sense of duty exceeds his personal feelings, his sense of loyalty is difficult to surpass. After realizing the Winter Soldier was his long thought to be dead best friend, he only fought him to disable HYDRA's Helicarriers. However, once the Helicarriers were destroyed, he immediately stopped fighting the Winter Soldier in an attempt to reason with him and help him remember their friendship. This reached its apex in the Avengers Civil War where Steve steadfastly refused to give up on Bucky which caused the Avengers to fracture along with more than half their number to become fugitives.
Since being defrosted by S.H.I.E.L.D., Steve was lost in a world he no longer knew. The world had changed; though technology had greatly advanced, humane morals were constantly being compromised in favor of political expediency. To make matters worse, most of the people he loved from his past were gone, or greatly aged. Even while working with S.H.I.E.L.D. and the Avengers, Steve still had no real life outside of being a soldier. Steve did not know how to belong, and strives to uphold his code of honor in this new complicated world. Although he eventually reunited with both Peggy and Bucky, Steve was still a "man out of time". However, after the battle against Ultron, Steve finally realized that he was no longer the man he was before he was frozen. Hence, Steve decided to focus his life on just helping people, taking a permanent role as the leader of the second incarnation of the Avengers.
He is very protective of his friends from his past, especially Bucky Barnes, and is willing to go to great lengths to save them, being susceptible to emotional and violent acts to fulfill his goal. He seems to have developed a trust and attraction towards Sharon Carter. During his time with the new team of Avengers he developed a trust and bond with Black Widow. He also embraces links to his own time often seeing much of Howard Stark in Tony.
He does have a darker side, however, with Ultron noting that Rogers had been a soldier for so long, he subconsciously craved conflict and battles to avoid a civilian life and being forced to confront all he'd lost. Indeed his worst nightmare, caused by Wanda Maximoff, was shown to be the end of war with people not needing him anymore leaving him with the realization that everyone whom had loved was gone and he was alone. He was also hypocritical when it came to secrets, disliking when others kept secrets from him but he himself kept a dark secret from Tony Stark (Bucky Barnes having killed Howard and Maria Stark) which caused Iron Man to end their friendship on the spot. He could also be selfish, specifically when it came to Bucky Barnes and his own desire to be needed and not replaced when it came to heroics by either Insight or Ultron. When Tony mocked that he'd succumbed to his darker aspects, during the Avengers Civil War, Rogers abandoned his shield and with it, the identity of 'Captain America', heeding Tony's point.
Rogers has a dislike for agencies or groups that express control over the individual due to having fought vigorously for his nations' freedom and losing the world he knew for that very reason. This dislike extends to groups of any ideology be they HYDRA or S.H.I.E.L.D.. Rogers himself admits that the Howling Commandos committed less than moral actions during World War II but it was for the basis that people could be free, whereas Project Insight was using fear to dissuade a security risk before it happens, eliminating the need for a soldier like himself and taking away the people's freedom. The desire for free will heavily influenced Rogers' opinion on the Sokovia Accords. He strongly believed that politics would restrict (or at least hinder) the Avengers' efforts to protect the people of the world putting him at odds with the very pragmatic Tony Stark on the issue. His opinion on such groups lessened when the Joint Counter Terrorist Centre, locked up Barnes in a cage. In the end, such was his dislike that he cut all ties with them and became a fugitive after the Avengers Civil War.
Powers and Abilities
- "Sometimes, I just want to punch you in your perfect teeth."
- ―Tony Stark
- Artificially Enhanced Physiology: As a Super Soldier, Steve Rogers possesses enhanced human abilities, such as formidable intelligence, strength, speed, durability, agility, stamina, dexterity and reflexes, as well as an accelerated healing factor, which healed all of his ailments and genetic imperfections quickly. It also prevents him from getting drunk. The serum metabolized and enhanced all of Steve's natural anatomical abilities beyond the peak of human potential, pushing into the early levels of superhuman condition. It transformed a frail and sickly Steve into the "perfect" specimen of human development and conditioning. Although the SSS has definite limits, even without training Rogers' physiology surpasses that of any human being trained to their physical and mental peaks. Rogers maintains an overall healthy lifestyle including a regular extensive exercise regimen and a balanced diet. This appears to have increased his capabilities further, much like how it increases strength, physical performance and muscle control in non-enhanced humans.
- Enhanced Intelligence: Steve's mental performance has been greatly enhanced to the very peak of human potential and beyond, thus allowing his mind to operate in the most efficient and rapid manner possible. Some manifestation of this is his exceptionally perfect charisma, eloquence, leadership skills, deductive/analytical skills, and tactical genius. Rogers has demonstrated the ability to quickly process multiple information streams (e.g., threat assessment) and rapidly respond to any changing tactical situations, by creating perfect winning strategies rapidly. He possesses perfect memory as demonstrated when he was able to perfectly replicate the locations of all HYDRA bases on a map, despite "only getting a glance." He is able to learn anything- he can memorize, understand and recall all kinds of information and skills in extraordinary capacity and in limited time. Even with his limited knowledge of modern technology, he was still able to help Tony repair a Helicarrier and prevent it from crashing, or when he quickly gave the Avengers and the first responders an efficient plan to minimize and contain damage from the Chitauri invasion. Since the Super-Soldier serum amplifies personality aspects as well, Rogers' brain chemistry is also altered. Though he was brave, determined, and compassionate before, the SSS has also amplified those character traits.
- Enhanced Strength: Rogers' strength is enhanced beyond the peak of human potential. His strength allows him to physically overpower combatants, including elite-trained humans, extraterrestrial troops, and robot sentries. He can bend metal bars, slam through solid walls and reinforced glass, and pry open steel doors. In combat, his strength allows for him to send enemies flying several meters in the air from mere punches and kicks. He can even generate enough force to have his shield pierce the metal frame of a Quinjet. However, his strength is no match against the likes of Hulk and beings from other realms, such as Loki and Thor, who possesses god-like strength. Nonetheless, his combination of strength, pure muscle control and combat skills makes him an incredibly formidable opponent to those that would try to attack him. During his USO tours, Rogers was able to lift a motorcycle frame with three show girls sitting on top without any strain. With one hand, Rogers can lift a grown man over his head and throw him like a rag doll. He was also able to pull himself away from the immense magnetic force applied on his hand by a magnetic lock, which most others cannot achieve. Steve Rogers was able to lift a massive metal support beam to save a trapped Winter Soldier, while he was critically injured. He also supported falling debris from a collapsing building to save Black Widow and himself from being crushed. When chopping wood, Rogers ripped apart a block of wood trunk in half with his bare hands. He has been able to throw a moving motorcycle at a jeep, toss Ultron, who was in his second body, through a concrete pillar during their fight in Seoul and support the weight of an entire car during Ultron's initial attack on Sokovia. He has also shown he is strong enough to stop a helicopter from lifting off, by pulling on the landing gear. He was also able to kick a pickup truck moving it several yards with enough force to send an enemy soldier flying away upon impact with this truck, and overwhelm the superhumanly strong Spider-Man thanks to his own strength in addition to his superior training.
- Enhanced Durability: Steve's bones and muscles are denser and harder than a human's, above the highest level of human potential, which makes him much more durable than any human being. Though he is not bulletproof, he can survive blunt force trauma such as being hit with solid objects like his own shield, or contact with superhuman opponents like Loki, the Winter Soldier, and the Red Skull. With his vibranium shield, he is capable of surviving falls from heights that would absolutely kill a human. Steve was tasered, shot, stabbed, caught in several explosions, and took several beatings including: being blasted through a city bus by a launched grenade, falling from the 30th floor of Triskelion, and getting beaten by the metal arm of Winter Soldier in the face multiple times. With his enhanced physiology, Rogers was able to recover and continue fighting after taking such blows in efficient time. Another great example of his durability is when Rumlow tried to taze him with the Taser Rod. He was able to resist it for more than 5 seconds with endurable discomfort whereas normal humans would become unconscious within a second of contact. He also dropped down to one if Project Insight's helicarrier at a considerable height. Steve was able to dive out of a Quinjet without a parachute into open water. Steve was also able to take the full power of both Ultron's blasts and Iron Man's repulsors straight in the chest, as well as Scarlet Witch's telekinetic bolts and a super-accelerated punch from Quicksilver, all without any noticable damage whatsoever, while he got back up immediately after all of these.
- "You ran like 13 miles in 30 minutes."
- ―Sam Wilson
- Enhanced Speed: Steve can run and move at speeds beyond the peak of human potential, moving into the early levels of superhuman condition. He can keep up with most standard vehicles and cover a small area such as city blocks within a short period of time. Sam Wilson stated that Steve ran over 13 miles in less than 30 minutes, during their first encounter. Even while completely unmatched, Steve was quick enough to surprise Quicksilver and knock him out with his shield. However, Winter Soldier and Black Panther are able to rival his speed, while the latter could easily outrun him in a chase due to their head start, forcing him to resort to hijacking a car to catch up.
- Enhanced Stamina: Steve's musculature produces less fatigue toxins during physical activity than the musculature of an ordinary human. Rogers' body eliminates the excessive build-up of fatigue-producing chemicals in his muscles, granting him exceptional endurance and lung capacity, greater than of normal humans. He can function in peak capacity for hours before showing fatigue. And this is what made him saying "I can do this all day".
- Enhanced Agility: His agility is greater than that of an Olympic gold medalist and leagues above even the worlds greatest acrobats. He can coordinate his body with perfect balance, equilibrium, flexibility, and dexterity. He can reach very high places with great ease. While escaping the destruction of the HYDRA base that Bucky was held captive in, he was able to leap from one end of the complex to the other side in order to escape. During his chase of the Winter Soldier, Steve was able to leap outside his apartment into the building across the street. He can leap over cars with simple running moves. Steve uses his enhanced agility to perform amazing parkour and gymnastic moves that would be impossible for a normal human to accomplish.
- Enhanced Reflexes: Steve's reflexes are superior to those of the finest athlete. It is beyond human potential which allows him to dodge rapid gunfire in close range. Rogers was once able to evade a gatling gun's gunfire from a Quinjet as he was accelerating towards the airship on his motorcycle. His auto-reflexes allow him to easily dodge gunfire and respond quickly to fast pace combat. Soldiers are subdued by Captain America before they can even align their weapons on him. His immense reflexes can also be used to attack and counter instead of just defensive purposes, allowing him to punish attacks with devastating counters when fighting extraordinary quick opponents.
- Enhanced Senses: Steve's five natural senses have been enhanced. This allows him to see further, hear with amazing clarity, detect specific persons, objects, substances with his smell, etc. He was able to notice little things such as sweat coming to a man face to cue him off on danger. He has also spotted a HYDRA soldier high up in a tree completely hidden when platoons of soldiers had no idea. His other senses may also be enhanced.
- "Doctor Erskine said that the serum wouldn't just affect my muscles, it would affect my cells, create a protective system of regeneration and healing, which means ...um....I can't get drunk. Did you know that?"
"Your metabolism burns four times faster than the average person. He thought it could be one of the side effects."
- ―Captain America to Peggy Carter
- Regenerative Healing Factor: The super-soldier serum caused Steve Rogers' physiology possesses accelerated healing and regeneration. He is immune to all infections, diseases and disorders; also Rogers cannot become intoxicated by alcohol, drugs, toxins, or impurities. This annoys him as he can't get drunk like his friends. However, it would appear that Asgardian liquor might work on him, as Thor shared some from a flask during an party with the Avengers. For Rogers, large cuts and bruises heal within minutes and even fatal gunshot wounds and fractures will mend within an hour or less. Rogers was able to regenerate from being shot by a Chitauri Gun directly to the abdomen in a matter of minutes. Any and all injuries will heal and regenerate rapidly and perfectly without leaving a trace of injury. Steve regained consciousness in a short amount of time after nearly dying. His accelerated healing powers also helped him to rapidly rejuvenate to his prime conditioning and capabilities after he was defrosted, as well as it kept him alive when he was in cryo-stasis. It also seems to be rapidly regenerating already very healthy slow-decaying cells. Thus in theory, Rogers has a form of extended longevity.
- Master Martial Artist: Rogers is a master at combat and the field of martial arts. He has an extensive knowledge of melee combat. He also displayed a variety of martial arts in his fighting style. Rogers' combat style composed of a mixture of American Boxing, Judo, Jiu-jitsu, Taekwondo and Aikido. In addition, Rogers also showed refined fighting techniques, applying characteristics of Muay Thai, Karate, Savate, and Wing Chun. Captain America's combat skills are considered legendary, making him one of the greatest fighters in the world. Even in World War II, when still inexperienced, Captain America already proved to be a great fighter, having used his knowledge of combat, his enhanced attributes, and indestructible shield to defeat hundreds of Nazi soldiers and even the Red Skull himself. After being revived in the 21st century, Rogers was quickly put into action again; he proved able to keep abreast with Loki in combat for a short period, and also managed to defeat hordes of Chitauri aliens at the Battle of New York. When a police officer questioned why he should take orders from Captain America, the latter defeated several attacking Chitauri soldiers with ease, inducing the impressed officer to follow his orders without question. When he joined S.H.I.E.L.D., Rogers received more extensive training, proving more than capable of defeating several armed pirates, soldiers of HYDRA, a dozen STRIKE agents (while limited by the confined space of an elevator), as well as also having Georges Batroc knocked out in a one on one fight. Captain America also held his own against Black Panther, as well as the notorious Winter Soldier in combat, ultimately defeating the latter by putting him in a choke-hold. His combat level is at least on par, if not better, than that of the Winter Soldier, Black Panther and Black Widow. Rogers is even able to use his combat skills to hold his own against considerably stronger opponents, with him defeating an armored Crossbones, battling evenly against and defeating Spider-Man, temporarily holding his own against Loki, giving Ultron's second body a prolonged fight, and even ultimately defeating Iron Man in a vicious duel, despite the latter also having the aid of F.R.I.D.A.Y.'s advanced combat analysis. Rogers also managed to defeat hordes of Ultron Sentries during the Battle of Sokovia.
- Shield Mastery: Over time of training and experience with his unique shield, as well as its physical properties, allow him to accomplish amazing feats with the item. Aside from bashing foes and blocking incoming attacks, he is able to throw it with nearly perfect aim, managing to slice Spider-Man's webbing with it mid-air. Rogers can hit multiple targets with the same throw by means of ricochet, and could even achieve a boomerang-like return effect, allowing him to strike enemies from behind or retrieve the shield without objects to ricochet from.
- Expert Marksman: Rogers can throw most projectile weaponry with great aim and is well-versed in the use of firearms like the military-issued Colt 1911 or the Tommy Gun during World War II and eventually modern firearms, picking up an assault rifle and using with ease. While he knew how to use the modern assault rifle, he was not use to it and missed his targets each time he fires and even slipped from the platform he was and grabbed a wire to stay on the ship when caught in a hail of gunfire from the men that he was fighting on the Helicarrier. Rogers also shows expertise in knife throwing.
- Master Spy: Aside being a veteran soldier and one of the world's greatest combatants, Rogers is highly skilled in espionage, intelligence gathering, infiltration, and sabotage. During World War II, Rogers and the Howling Commandos successful raided several HYDRA bases, rescued Allied POWs, and captured top HYDRA scientist, Dr. Arnim Zola. After being revived in the 21st century, despite his lack of knowledge of the current technologies, he managed to sneak around in the Hellicarrier and discovered S.H.I.E.L.D.'s Tesseract-based weaponry. When Rogers received additional training from S.H.I.E.L.D., he became an accomplished spy in his own right. He participated several black-ops missions with STRIKE, and helped thwart the HYDRA Uprising. He evaded capture from authorities when he became a fugitive twice (During HYDRA Uprising and the Avengers Civil War). However, Rogers' most impressive feat was breaking into an underwater highly-secured prison, the Raft, and freeing his fellow Avengers.
- Master Tactician: Rogers is an accomplished strategist. He is able to formulate battle strategies and his brilliant tactical sense allows him to alter any strategy to fit the changing need of the situation. A prime example is when he formulated the plan to go in first by himself in "the front door" of the Red Skull's hidden base. After taking out the Red Skull's defenses and feigning a surrender, the assault team and then the full force of the Strategic Scientific Reserve came in and raided the base following Rogers' initial assault. His tactical brilliance also came into play during the Chitauri assault on New York, first in organizing first responders to protect the civilian population, and then re-deploying other members of the Avengers to best defend the city with their limited resources (even the usually anti-authoritarian Tony Stark recognizes Rogers' tactical abilities and accepts his assignment).
- Master Acrobat: Rogers' years of training and experience have made him an expert acrobat, gymnast, and aerialist. He often utilizes these talents in combat for both evasive and offensive purposes. Combined with his enhanced agility, Rogers has shown expertise in utilizing flips in his attacks and takedowns.
- Multilingualism: Rogers speaks his native English, as well as fluent French.
- Pilot: Rogers has at least basic knowledge of aircraft piloting. In the 1940s, he crash landed Red Skull's plane on the Arctic. After returning, he proved able to fly a Quinjet.
As a weapon of choice, Rogers uses a round shaped Vibranium shield, which can be used as a throwing weapon and is able to absorb any kind of impact. Also in combat, Rogers also uses canon weapons like guns and other firearms.
- Vibranium Shield: A concave disk about 2.5 feet in diameter, weighing 12 pounds painted in its familiar red-white-and-blue pattern with a five-pointed star design in its center. Constructed by Howard Stark and made from Vibranium. The Vibranium alloy can absorb and reflect kinetic energy from impacts therefore making it nigh-indestructible. Nearly every kind of human weaponry can not even dent it, as bullets normally bounce off it. The shield is also strong enough to combat magic and mystical weapons, such as Thor's hammer Mjølnir. It also withstood Iron Man's repulsors, deflecting them in a coordinated team attack. The shield's shape makes it a superb throwing weapon. It can cut through the air with minimal wind resistance. It is also able to bounce off solid objects, such as walls and floors, when struck on its edge and can be ricocheted off of multiple surfaces. It also makes a formidable and devastating hand-held weapon. Combined with Rogers' strength and combat skills, it enables him to plow through virtually any opponent. The Vibranium in the shield also enables Rogers to withstand great falls and devastating blows that he couldn't otherwise. At the end of the Avengers Civil War, Rogers surrendered the shield to Tony Stark acknowledging that Howard Stark had made it and he had proven unworthy of it.
- M1 Garand: Steve Rogers was issued a M1 Garand rifle for his training maneuvers in Camp Lehigh. However, he never used it for actual combat during World War II.
- Colt M1911A1: Rogers was issued a M1911A1 as his sidearm during World War II. He took one of them in an unathorized mission to liberate his friend Bucky Barnes in a HYDRA facility in Austria, and continued to use it during the rest of the war, especially in his attacks against HYDRA all over Europe and the capture of Arnim Zola.
- M1921 Thompson: Before joining World War II, Rogers played a colourful character named Captain America in a series of live shows and films. In those films, he used a M1928A1 Thompson to attack Nazis and protect America, inspiring soldiers to join the United States Armed Forces and citizens to buy war bonds.
- Noveske N4 Diplomat: Captain America took one of these rifles from one of the mercenaries that attacked the Helicarrier, and used it to defend his position while helping Tony Stark to restart the aircraft's propellers.
- M67 Grenade: Rogers obtained a grenade from one of the HYDRA operatives patrolling one of the Project Insight Helicarriers, using it to attack a group of operatives while infiltrating the aircraft.
- Uniform: Rogers and Howard Stark both designed the original suit he wore during the war. It was made of carbon polymer and it offers a medium level of resistance to gunfire. The helmet also served as a mask. It also allowed for a sidearm. The shield could be attached to the back. However, upon his reawakening and him joining the Avengers, S.H.I.E.L.D., along with input from Phil Coulson, designed his new upgraded suit. It has more flexibility and mobility than his previous suit. The new suit carries a wireless communicator. The uniform is composed of a Nomex and Kevlar fiber. While it doesn't allow for him carrying a sidearm (it is unknown whether this was intentional or not at this time), nonetheless, it is possibly bulletproof and fireproof. It could also withstand blunt force trauma and energy blasts from alien weaponry.
- Utility Belt: Captain America wears a utility belt containing tactical devices and equipment for battle.
- Grapple Gun: A line cable firing device that automatically entangles a limb of a flying or fleeing culprit, thus preventing their escape. It is kept in Captain America's utility belt. Captain America used it on Iron Man when Stark was chasing the Winter Soldier.
|Appearances for Steve Rogers|
In chronological order:
- Before Rogers gets his signature circular Shield, he is seen using three different shields. The first time, he uses a garbage can lid as a shield when he's getting beaten up by a bully in an alley. The second time, he uses a cab door as a protective shield when Heinz Kruger fires a gun at him. The third time, he uses a triangular shield during a musical tour and later ends up using it as a weapon on his first mission.
- Due to the Super Soldier Serum, his metabolism burns four times faster than the average person. Therefore, he cannot get drunk.
- When Bucky takes Steve to the World's Fair near the beginning of the film he says, "We're going to the future" - a foreshadowing that Steve Rogers and Bucky will actually go to the future, at the end of the film and in the sequel, respectively.
- According to Steve's WWII enlistment form, his birth date is July 4, 1918, making him twenty-five in 1943. Decades later in 2011, when he wakes up after 66 years, he is ninety-two. However, due to being frozen for so long and his fast metabolism, he still appears young.
- While the Marvel Cinematic Universe version of Captain America's date of birth is listed as July 4, 1918, the mainstream comics version's date of birth is July 4, 1920.
- Steve Rogers originally drinks the Super Soldier formula, while in the movie Steve is transformed into Captain America with a large set of special equipment, designed by Abraham Erskine and Howard Stark.
- Steve Rogers was an artist before becoming Captain America; Adolf Hitler was also an artist before he became Führer of the Third Reich. This is an ironic coincidence, as Captain America was fighting Nazis.
- The helmet he wears on his first mission is a homage to the Ultimate Universe WWII Captain America's helmet.
- His triangular shield is based off of the character's original shield , as well as the Ultimate version.
- When Steve wakes up for the first time in almost seventy years in the 1940's-style 'recovery room,' he hears the broadcast of a baseball game from May, 1941, on an old-fashioned radio and recognizes the game because he was there. This is a reference to an actual baseball game played at Ebbets Field on May 25th, 1941, where Pete Reiser of the Brooklyn Dodgers hit an inside the park grand slam. Actor Michael Swan recorded the dialogue portraying the Dodgers announcer.
- Trevor Slattery has a tattoo of Captain America's Shield on his neck, but instead of a star in the middle of the circles, it is the symbol for anarchy.
- A young boy is shown running around wearing Steve's Age of Ultron costume in the Jessica Jones episode: AKA The Sandwich Saved Me.
- Captain America's powers in the Marvel Cinematic Universe is a fusion of his Mainstream and Ultimate counterparts.
- Captain America: Civil War is the only film to feature Captain America where he doesn't ride a motorcycle.
Behind the Scenes
- Chris Evans almost turned down the role of Captain America. It was his Avengers co-star Robert Downey, Jr. who convinced Evans to play the character.
- Captain America is not Chris Evans' first role as a Marvel character. His first was the Human Torch in the films Fantastic Four and Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer. This was probably referenced in Captain America: The First Avenger, when the android Synthetic Man, the first Human Torch was displayed at Stark Expo.
- Before Chris Evans was cast as Captain America, Sam Worthington and Will Smith were in early talks for the role of Captain America. Later on Garrett Hedlund, Channing Tatum, Scott Porter, Mike Vogel, Sebastian Stan, Wilson Bethel, John Krasinski, Michael Cassidy, Chace Crawford, and Jensen Ackles were on the final shortlist for the role. Kellan Lutz, Ryan Phillippe and Alexander Skarsgård carried out auditions in case Evans wasn't going to do the role. Sebastian Stan would later be cast as Bucky Barnes in the film and Alexander Skarsgård's father, Stellan Skarsgård, was previously in the film Thor as Erik Selvig.
- In Captain America: The First Avenger, many kids and a soldier are seen reading Captain America Comics #1, the first Captain America comic ever published.
- In the first two Iron Man films a prototype shield can be seen. In Iron Man, a prototype of Captain America's Shield is visible in the background in the scene where Pepper Potts discovers Tony Stark is Iron Man. In Iron Man 2, Phil Coulson finds another prototype of Captain America's Shield in Tony Stark's Mansion, and questions why Stark has it, hinting towards Coulson's fascination of Rogers.
- In an alternate opening to The Incredible Hulk, Bruce Banner is attempting to commit suicide on top of a glacier, instead transforming into The Hulk before he can do it, smashing the glacier. A freeze frame shot of the crumbling glacier shows Captain America in the ice, but this is odd considering that he was in the Valkyrie when he was frozen. However, ice shifts are common in that area, and his body could have easily fallen though a hole in the cabin in one of the shifts, and later ended up back in the plane due to another shift.
- The Super Soldier Serum is a main plot element in The Incredible Hulk, giving Emil Blonsky his powers. The 'one successful test subject' (Captain America) is also referenced in the film.
- In The Incredible Hulk, when Tony Stark is talking to General Ross, Stark says the Super Soldier program was "put on ice," referring to Captain America's frozen body.
- Captain America has the most screen-time in The Avengers with nearly thirty-seven minutes. He also has the most screen-time in Avengers: Age of Ultron with just over fifty minutes.
- Chris Evans made a cameo in Thor: The Dark World as an illusion created by Loki.
- So far, ever since his introduction, Captain America has appeared in at least one film per year, Captain America: The First Avenger in 2011, The Avengers in 2012, Thor: The Dark World in 2013, Captain America: The Winter Soldier in 2014, Avengers: Age of Ultron and Ant-Man in 2015 and Captain America: Civil War in 2016.
- Chris Evans was uncredited for his appearance in Ant-Man.
- ↑ Captain America's S.H.I.E.L.D. ID number
- ↑ Spider-man: Homecoming trailer at Comic Con 2016 detailed Peter Parker's high school experience
- ↑ 3.00 3.01 3.02 3.03 3.04 3.05 3.06 3.07 3.08 3.09 3.10 3.11 3.12 3.13 3.14 Captain America: The First Avenger
- ↑ Captain America: First Vengeance
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 S.H.I.E.L.D. Files
- ↑ 6.00 6.01 6.02 6.03 6.04 6.05 6.06 6.07 6.08 6.09 6.10 6.11 6.12 Captain America: The Winter Soldier
- ↑ Captain America: First Vengeance, Volume 1
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 Agent Carter: 1.04: The Blitzkrieg Button
- ↑ Captain America: First Vengeance, Volume 3
- ↑ The Avengers: The Avengers Initiative
- ↑ Captain America & Thor: Avengers!
- ↑ Captain America: The Winter Soldier
- ↑ Agent Carter (TV series)
- ↑ Agent Carter: 1.02: Bridge and Tunnel
- ↑ Agent Carter: 1.08: Valediction
- ↑ The Avengers Prelude: Fury's Big Week
- ↑ Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: 2.14: Love in the Time of HYDRA
- ↑ The Avengers Extended Scene
- ↑ 19.0 19.1 19.2 19.3 19.4 19.5 19.6 19.7 19.8 The Avengers
- ↑ The Avengers Post-credits Scene
- ↑ Iron Man 3 Prelude
- ↑ Captain America: The Winter Soldier Infinite Comic
- ↑ Captain America: Homecoming
- ↑ Translates from French to: "I thought you were more than just a shield."
- ↑ Translates from French to: "Let's see."
- ↑ Captain America: The Winter Soldier Extended Scene
- ↑ 27.00 27.01 27.02 27.03 27.04 27.05 27.06 27.07 27.08 27.09 27.10 27.11 27.12 27.13 Avengers: Age of Ultron
- ↑ 28.0 28.1 Avengers: Operation HYDRA
- ↑ Captain America: Road to War
- ↑ 30.0 30.1 30.2 30.3 30.4 30.5 30.6 30.7 30.8 30.9 Captain America: Civil War
- ↑ Ant-Man Post-credits Scene
- ↑ Captain America: Civil War Mid-credits Scene