Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
A list of trivia related to Doctor Strange:
This section needs a rewrite
- The film has been in development since 1986. Wes Craven was set to direct in 1992. Later in 2001, David S. Goyer was going to write and direct. In 2008, Guillermo del Toro was brought on as director. In 2014, Mark Andrews, Jonathan Levine, Nikolaj Arcel, Scott Derrickson and Dean Israelite were on the shortlist to direct with Derrickson being the ultimate choice.
- Joaquin Phoenix was Marvel's first choice for the lead role. After months of negotiating, Phoenix turned down the part due to the number of sequel's he would be required to be in if he signed on.
- Colin Farrell, Jake Gyllenhaal, Tom Hardy, Ethan Hawke, Jack Huston, Oscar Isaac, Jared Leto, Matthew McConaughey, Ewan McGregor, Keanu Reeves and Benedict Cumberbatch were all considered for Stephen Strange.
- Benedict Cumberbatch was the first choice and was offered the lead role of Stephen Strange but initially had to decline due to his theatre commitments playing Shakespeare's Hamlet which will clash with the film's proposed shooting date. Joaquin Phoenix was the studio's second choice for lead role but Phoenix, after a few months of deliberation, eventually turned down the offer due his reluctance to do a multi-picture deal that was required by the studio if he signed on.
- This is the second film to feature Doctor Strange after a live-action TV movie featuring Peter Hooten in the lead role in 1978 that premiered on CBS, which was airing The Amazing Spider-Man and The Incredible Hulk TV series at the time.