- "We don't seek to rule this world. We seek to save it. To hand it over to Dormammu, who is the intent of all evolution. The why of all existence."
- ―Kaecilius about Dormammu
Dormammu is a tremendously powerful and malevolent primordial entity who rules the Dark Dimension. Dormammu convinced Kaecilius to use his power to destroy the Masters of the Mystic Arts and bring the Dark Dimension to Earth. Before Dormammu could complete his plans, he was confronted by Doctor Strange, who used the Eye of Agamotto to trap Dormammu in an endless time loop until he agreed to leave Earth and take Kaecilius with him.
Deal with the Zealots
The primordial creature known as Dormammu is a trans-dimensional life form that lives within the Dark Dimension. Wielding frighteningly tremendous supernatural power of apocalyptic proportions, Dormammu seeks to conquer every dimension of the Multiverse, including the Earth. To achieve this, he managed to employ contact with Kaecilius, a rogue member of the Masters of the Mystic Arts who had become disillusioned with the Ancient One's ideals. The two struck up a deal, with Kaecilius agreeing to gather the necessary items to enable the Dark Dimension to come to Earth.
Meeting Doctor Strange
- "You will never win."
"No, but I can lose again. And again, and again, and again, forever. And that makes you my prisoner."
"No! Stop! Make this STOP! Set. Me. Free!"
- ―Dormammu to Doctor Strange
As they had planned, Kaecilius destroyed two of the three Sanctum Sanctorums and with the Hong Kong Sanctum vulnerable, Dormammu was now free to fuse the Dark Dimension with Earth and destroy it. However, a new member of the Masters of the Mystic Arts, Doctor Strange, flew into the Dark Dimension to confront him, claiming that he had come to bargain for Earth's protection. Angered at this, Dormammu quickly killed Strange by blasting him with energy, but to his confusion, Strange reappeared on the Dark Dimension surface, repeating himself confidently.
Perplexed, Dormammu killed Strange again only to have him reappear again repeating his intention. Stunned, Dormammu demanded to know what was happening; the Doctor revealed that he had used the Eye of Agamotto and the Infinity Stone inside it to create an infinite time loop, with them spending eternity together in a endless cycle, the only trap Dormammu could not escape from since the Dark Dimension was a place beyond time itself and therefore Dormammu had no power over it. Eventually, Dormammu began begging Doctor Strange to end the time loop, which he did, on the condition that Dormammu banished himself and the Zealots from Earth forever. Dormammu did this, while also turning the Zealots and Kaecilius into Mindless Ones and dragging them into the Dark Dimension forever, and kept his own word, sealing the portal between the dimensions.
Dormammu appears to be a being of pure and utter malevolence, seemingly focused only on expanding his Dark Dimension realm and conquering all other worlds and dimensions of the Multiverse, in order to fuse them in as well.
Powers and Abilities
- Reality Warping: Dormammu has complete control over the Dark Dimension, with the dimension itself warping to form his face. He uses the dimension as a weapon, utilizing it to constantly kill Doctor Strange over and over again, either with energy blasts or by manipulating the very ground he stood on, when the latter trapped him in an infinite time loop using the Time Stone. His influence also stretched beyond the confines of his realm to those who used his power, such as the Zealots, which caused their deformities. He was also able to rapidly turn his followers into decayed, fossil like figures with glowing red symbols of the Dark Dimension on their heads, before making them fly up into the Dark Dimension.
- Power Bestowal: Dormammu bestowed mystical powers to Kaecilius and his Zealots from the Dark Dimension, making them powerful enough to challenge the strength of the Ancient One herself. They notably gained the ability to fold space without being inside the Mirror Dimension, which allowed them to form Space Shards. However, his bond to his followers also allowed him to absorb them into his Dark Dimension at will, causing them to rapidly turn into decayed, fossil like figures with glowing red symbols of the Dark Dimension on their heads.
- Immortality: The Dark Dimension is a timeless one, thereby resulting in Dormammu being a primordial immortal, with the Ancient One describing him as a being older than time itself.
- Zealots - Minions turned Victims
- In the comics, Dormammu was a Faltine sorcerer who left his original dimension and became the ruler of the Dark Dimension. He once enlisted Baron Mordo as a servant to fight Doctor Strange.
Behind the Scenes
- Benedict Cumberbatch was only credited for portraying Doctor Strange in the film. The fact that he also portrayed Dormammu was revealed by Scott Derrickson in an interview with IGN. Cumberbatch's voice was blended with another actor's, to make it harder to tell it was him. The director said he was unable to recall who the other actor was, only that he was also British.
- The producers of Doctor Strange asked Tony Todd to do a recording session for Dormammu, because they wanted an another voice as an alternative to Cumberbatch, but they went back to their original choice eventually.