Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|For other uses, see Destroyer (disambiguation)|
- "There are two types of beings in the universe. Those who dance, and those who do not."
- ―Drax the Destroyer
Drax, also known as Drax the Destroyer (or simply The Destroyer), is a former intergalactic criminal and a member of the Guardians of the Galaxy. He sought revenge on Ronan the Accuser for killing his wife and daughter, and went on a rampage across the galaxy, ending with him being imprisoned by the Nova Corps in the Kyln. There he became uneasy allies with Star-Lord, Gamora, Rocket Raccoon, and Groot. Together they broke out of the Kyln and became embroiled in the Quest for the Orb. After the Battle of Xandar, in which he finally gained the vengeance on Ronan he had long sought, he left Xandar with the other Guardians, following Star-Lord's lead.
Drax comes from a race of primitives who are considered naive and hopelessly underdeveloped by the more advanced galactic groups. As a result, Drax is extremely unaware of basic concepts such as metaphors and customs. They are, however, a fierce and capable warrior race who follow a tribal-like culture. Drax was married to a woman named Hovat, and together had a daughter named Kamaria.
After Ronan the Accuser murdered Hovat and Kamaria under the order of the warlord Thanos, Drax was driven into a path of vengeance and went on a bloody rampage across the galaxy in search of the murderous Kree, gaining a reputation of one of the most dangerous beings in the galaxy and earning the nickname, The Destroyer. After over twenty-two counts of murder and six counts of grievous bodily harm, he was arrested by the Nova Corps and brought to the Kyln.
Meeting the Guardians
- "Woman! Your words mean nothing to me!"
- ―Drax to Gamora
In the Kyln, Drax ended up meeting Peter Quill, Rocket Raccoon, Groot, and Gamora, the latter of whom had very close ties to Ronan. The four carried with them the Orb, a housing device carrying a powerful Infinity Stone that Ronan was attempting to deliver to Thanos. Drax came close to murdering Gamora in order to briefly satisfy his thirst for revenge, but Quill was able to convince him to spare her, as she had recently betrayed Ronan and would undoubtedly lead him to her.
- "Cease your yammering and relieve us from this irksome confinement."
"Yeah, I’ll have to agree with the walking thesaurus on that one."
"Do not ever call me a thesaurus."
- ―Drax and Star-Lord
The next day, Drax witnessed Groot stealing a Quardrix battery from the middle of the prison, causing the entire prison to go into emergency mode and the guards to arrive. When he saw the guards preparing to shoot at Rocket and Groot, he made the decision to assist them so he could also escape. He fought a number of guards and easily knocked them out, laughing hysterically as he did. He threw a machine gun to Rocket who used it to shoot at the Security Drones. Drax later assisted Quill by ripping a Security Drone apart with his bare hands.
The five prisoners locked themselves in the Secruity Watchtower, Rocket then initiated his plan. He switched off the prison's artificial gravity, took control of the security drones, and used these drones to propel the watchtower room out of the cell block and into the prison's docking bay. They waited in the Milano for Quill who had left for a personal errand. Drax was the first to see him coming, flying through space. Drax was greatly impressed by Quill's bravery, but was horrified when he discovered that Quill was simply retrieving his music.
Joining the Team
While travelling across space in the Milano, the team discussed what their next move would be and who they intended to sell the Orb to. Drax suggested that if it was a weapon they should use it to kill Ronan the Accuser which led to an argument between him and Gamora. Before they could begin fighting, Quill broke them apart and suggested that they concentrate on getting pain and sharing the money equally, to which Drax claimed to have no interest in money as it did not help him in his goal to kill Ronan.
- "This is no respectable establishment. What do you expect us to do while we wait?"
- ―Drax the Destroyer
Drax traveled to Knowhere with the others to deliver the Orb to Taneleer Tivan, to whom Gamora had agreed to sell the Orb. While they waited for Tivan; Drax, Rocket, and Groot goofed off in the Boot of Jemiah, where Drax and Rocket ended up getting drunk and betting on Orloni fights. For a while Drax and Rocket appeared to get along and even shared a few laughs together.
While betting on Orloni fights, Drax and Rocket got into a fight after Drax insulted Rocket's rodent-like appearance. Groot tried to help Rocket, but Drax attacked him, prompting Rocket to draw a Laser Cannon and prepare to shoot Drax with it. Luckily, Quill came and stopped the drunken Rocket. In a rage, Drax left the bar. After he left, the rest of the group was finally summoned by Tivan. While stalking through Knowhere in frustration, Drax came across a dispatcher at the Tivan Dispatch Center and forced him to call Ronan so that he could kill him and avenge his family.
Showdown with Ronan
- "I shall meet my foe and destroy him."
- ―Drax the Destroyer
Meanwhile, the rest of the group discovered that inside the Orb was one of the Infinity Stones powerful enough to destroy a planet. When Ronan arrived, Drax got his knives ready to fight and destroy his enemy. While Ronan sent Nebula and his Sakaaran mercenaries after the rest of the group he confronted Drax and who informed him about the murder of his family and the revenge he intended to gain by killing Ronan.
Despite Drax's desperate attempts to kill the far stronger Kree soldier, Ronan the Accuser was able to quickly overpower and defeat Drax, chocking him and throwing his body across the street with minimal effort. Ronan dismissed Drax's claims of murdering his family, claiming he did not remember them and would not remember killing him either. Once Drax had been easily subdued by Ronan with little effort, he was thrown into a tank full of spinal fluid from the Celestial and left to die. Drax nearly drowned in the tank, but Groot pulled him out and resuscitated him.
Outside of Knowhere, Gamora was nearly killed by Nebula, and the Orb was retaken by Ronan. Quill summoned the Ravagers to assist, and they ended up capturing him and Gamora. Rocket blamed Drax for Quill and Gamora's kidnapping, and Drax realized that he used anger just to hide his pain. However, he got no sympathy from Rocket, who intended to escape to the other side of the galaxy to avoid Ronan's wrath. Drax, however, stood by Groot and chose to rescue Quill and Gamora. 
Rescuing Peter Quill
- "I just saved Quill?!"
"We've already established that blowing up the ship I'm on isn't saving me."
- ―Drax the Destroyer and Peter Quill
Hoping to save Quill and Gamora, the three flew to the Eclector in the Milano, planning to destroy the ship if they do not hand over Quill and Gamora in five seconds. Right before they were going to destroy the ship, Quill used the Ravagers' communication system to tell Rocket that he had managed to come up with a deal for the leader of the Ravagers, Yondu Udonta.
Becoming a Team
- "You're an honorable man, Quill. I will fight beside you. And in the end, I will see my wife and daughter."
- ―Drax the Destroyer to Peter Quill
With Peter Quill and Gamora back on the ship, they began discussing what their next move would be. When Drax attempted to make a comment, Gamora told him not to speak after the disaster he caused on Knowhere. Eventually Quill pitched his plan to attack the Dark Aster, kill Ronan the Accuser and take back the Orb, although the plan seemed like a suicide mission, Drax stood by Quill and vowed to fight with him.
It didn't take long for the rest of the team to agree to help as well and they went back to the Ravagers' ship to discuss the details of the plan with Yondu Udonta and his men. When Kraglin Obfonteri noted that there would be hundreds of Sakaarans onboard the ship willing to fight for Ronan the Accuser, Drax noted that he viewed the Sakaarans as nothing more than paper people, this pleased Obfonteri who punched Drax in the shoulder, which caused Drax to look at him in rage. Drax put on his new uniform and readied his knives to go into battle with his friends.
The next day, Quill's team and the Ravagers put the plan into action and Quill warned Rhomann Dey so that he could tell the rest of the Nova Corps. When the battle began, Drax rode with Quill, Gamora and Groot into Ronan's battleship, the Dark Aster. As they crash landed into the ship, Drax could not hold back his glee and cheered with delight as Quill used the ships guns to kill dozens of the Sakaarans inside.
Once they landed and left the crashed ship they discovered that the Dark Aster who too dark for them to see so Groot used his powers to create a strange light across the ship to show them the way. As they made their way across the ship, Drax apologies to the group for his mistakes and expressed his gratitude at having their friendship. They were suddenly stopped by Nebula who attempted to kill the team, as she cursed at Gamora, Drax shot her with his rocket launcher, claiming no one should speak to his friends like that.
Skirmish with Korath
- "Finger on the throat means death! Metaphor."
- ―Drax and Star-Lord
As they battled their way to Ronan, killing several Sakaarans, they were confronted by a team led by Korath the Pursuer, who attempted to kill Star-Lord. Once he had killed the soldiers, Drax rescued Quill and personally engaged and slew Korath by ripping out one of his cranial implants, electrocuting him to death before making a comment to Quill about whether or not he had successfully said a metaphor. They then witnessed Groot massacre a small team of Sakaarans with minimal effort, which caused Drax to grin happily at the slaughter.
Upon finding Ronan, the group attempted and failed to kill him with Rocket's Hadron Enforcer. Before Ronan could finish the group, Rocket suddenly crashed his ship through the Dark Aster and into Ronan, causing both vehicles critical damage. Drax was knocked unconscious in the crash, and Groot created a dome of wood out of his body, which protected the team when the damaged Dark Aster crashed into Xandar. When the ship crashed, the team survived, but Groot's body was pulverized into pieces.
Ronan the Accuser also survived the crash and nearly destroyed Xandar with the Infinite Stone. As Star-Lord distracted Ronan, Rocket Raccoon and Drax used the Hadron Enforcer to blast Ronan's Universal Weapon, exposing the Power Stone. Quill quickly grabbed the stone, but was nearly killed by its power. Gamora helped him by taking his hand and spreading the burden between the two of them. Drax did the same by grabbing onto Quill's shoulder, with Rocket following suite by gripping Drax's finger. Stabilizing the stone's power long enough to direct it towards Ronan, the four obliterated him and then resealed the stone back into a new orb-like device.
With Ronan now dead and Quill having given a fake Orb to Yondu Udonta and his Ravagers so they could give the true Orb to the Nova Corps for safe-keeping, Drax walked over to Rocket Raccoon, who was mourning the death of his dear friend Groot. Seeing no other way to comfort his new friend, Drax simply sat next to him and stroked his fur, which seem to relax him as they sat in wreckage of Xandar.
Guardian of the Galaxy
- "What if someone does something irksome, and I decide to remove his spine?"
"That's... that's actually murder, one of the worst crimes of all. Also illegal."
- ―Drax and Rhomann Dey.
After the battle, the stone was given to the Nova Corps and Drax realized that Ronan was sent by Thanos to kill his wife and daughter, and vowed to kill the Dark Lord next. Drax then traveled around the universe with Quill's team, which became known as the Guardians of the Galaxy.
Rocket Raccoon managed to save a twig from Groot's body and put it in a pot, allowing Groot to grow into a new body. Once in the Milano, after Groot had grown a bit bigger, he began to dance to "I Want You Back" by The Jackson 5 behind Drax as he cleaned and sharpened his knife. Whenever Drax would look in Groots direction, he would freeze until Drax looked away, leaving Drax none the wiser to the silliness occurring behind him.
- "His people are completely literal. Metaphors are gonna go over his head."
"Nothing goes over my head! My reflexes are too fast. I would catch it."
- ―Rocket Raccoon and Drax
Drax demonstrated many times a lack of understanding for metaphors and symbolism.
Drax has an affinity for knives; these are his weapons of choice. Moloka Dar attempted to appease him by offering Drax his own.
Although Drax has grown fond of his teammates, his social skills leave much to be desired as he called Gamora a "green whore" when telling her she is his friend along with the rest of the Guardians of the Galaxy.
Powers and Abilities
This section requires expansion
- Superhuman Strength: Drax has much more physical prowess than most species, being able to lift bulk weight and breaking through solid metal. Using his brute strength alone, he easily tore a drone in half, parts of Groot, and Korath's cybernetic implants. His strength has allowed him to overpower many enemies and toss them aside. The strength of Drax also extends to his legs, allowing him to jump great heights at a single leap; he was able to catch a drone several feet off the ground with a single leap, and also was able to jump several meters to attack Ronan. Despite his incredible superhuman strength and combat skills, Drax was no match for Ronan, whose strength and combat skills were greater than Drax's. Nevertheless, Drax was strong enough to easily take down most of Ronan's forces, including Korath the Pursuer.
- Superhuman Agility: Drax is able to move and jump with great speed and height. He was able to jump 10 feet high and at least 60 feet across when he lunged at Ronan on Knowhere.
- Superhuman Durability: Drax can withstand attacks that most species cannot, due to impact resistant skin. During the prison escape, Drax withstood direct turret blasts to his chest unharmed before tearing the turret apart with his bare hands. Drax has also withstood a beating from Ronan the Accuser, who sent Drax flying several feet through a metal wall. Also in the Guardians' battle with Ronan aboard the Dark Aster, Drax was able to survive the impact of Rocket's M-Ship crashing into him, although he was knocked unconscious.
- Regenerative Healing Factor: Drax's cells regenerate much faster than most species. During his fight with Ronan, Drax suffered several bruises and cuts on his face, however when he was removed from the yellow liquid tank, he was completely healed.
- Expert Combatant: Drax has proven to be a brutal, yet accomplished combatant, able to overpower multiple opponents, including several Kyln guards and Sakaaran warriors with little effort. He was also capable of holding his own and slaying Korath the Pursuer. But, even though he lasted longer than most against Ronan the Accuser, he was ultimately no match for the Kree Commander's skill and strength.
- Knife Mastery: Drax is very skilled in using knives, particularly his own dual knives, that he used to take down many Sakaaran soldiers.
- Dual Knives - Drax uses two knives in battle.
- Moloka Dar †
- Guardians of the Galaxy - Teammates
- Nova Corps
- In the comics, Drax was a human named Arthur Douglas whose wife was killed by Thanos. His daughter, Heather, survived and was found by Thanos' father. She grew up to become superheroine Moondragon.
- In the movie, it required Drax plus 3 of the other Guardians to control the power of the Orb for just a moment. However, in the comics, an incarnation of Drax managed to easily control the Power Gem by himself.
- Drax never seems to wear a shirt, displayed various times.
|Guardians of the Galaxy|