- "Only contacts are the messages I receive from the Englishman."
"'The Englishman'? Your handler? How do you know he's English?"
"The way he refers to certain things. He uses 'lift' instead of 'elevator', 'boot' instead of 'trunk'."
"Think about the messages. What else do you know about him?"
"He's late 30s, early 40s. Uses dated references-- 'disk drive' instead of 'flash drive', 'Burma' instead of 'Myanmar'."
- ―Akela Amador and Phil Coulson
One of his duties for the Centipede Project was to act as "handler" to field asset Akela Amador, who was also installed with the eye implant. The Englishman would give Amador what she needed to know and do for her assignments, while at the same time monitoring her movements to ensure her loyalty. His actions and, indirectly, Amador's actions, were in turn monitored by HYDRA.
While monitoring one of Amador's missions, his transmissions were detected by a S.H.I.E.L.D. team led by Agent Phil Coulson. Coulson's team managed to bring Amador into custody and remove her implant before the Englishman could activate her kill-switch. Upon fleeing the location, the Englishman was confronted by Agent Coulson; he tried to casually avoid speaking to Coulson but when he saw the S.H.I.E.L.D. badge he said, "Oh God", whereupon his own implant's kill-switch was activated, killing him instantly.
- Backscatter X-Ray Eye Implant: HYDRA installed the implant into the Englishman's head to monitor his movements and ensure his loyalty. When S.H.I.E.L.D. agent Phil Coulson confronted him, HYDRA used the eye implant to kill him.
- S.H.I.E.L.D. - Enemies (Under Coercion)
- Akela Amador - Former Ally (Under Coercion) turned Enemy
- The Englishman was equipped with the same Backscatter X-Ray Eye Implant as Akela Amador, Brian Hayward and Michael Peterson.