- "Meals are at eight and five. Toilet privileges twice a day. You raise your voice? Zap! Touch the glass? Zap! You step outta line and you deal with me. Please, step outta line."
- ―Everett Ross to Helmut Zemo
Everett K. Ross is a CIA operative and the Deputy Task Force Commander of the Joint Counter Terrorist Centre. Working with Thaddeus Ross, he attempted to control and regulate the actions of the Avengers; however he came into conflict with Captain America when he targeted the Winter Soldier. Eventually, Tony Stark was able to clear the Winter Soldier's name, and prove that Helmut Zemo was to blame for the recent terrorist attacks. Ross subsequently took Zemo into custody after the latter was apprehended by T'Challa.
Dealing with the Avengers
Capturing the Winter Soldier
- "You'll be provided with an office instead of a cell. And do me a favor, stay in it."
"I don't intend on going anywhere."
- ―Everett Ross and T'Challa
After the Winter Soldier was apprehended by the Joint Counter Terrorist Centre for the Bombing of the Vienna International Centre he was imprisoned in their headquarters in Berlin, Germany along with Steve Rogers, Sam Wilson and T'Challa. There, they met Everett Ross, who was introduced to them by Sharon Carter. Ross confiscated their equipment, telling Rogers that he will write them a receipt for his shield and the EXO-7 Falcon. When Rogers asked what would happen to Barnes, Ross claimed he would go through a phycological evaluation before being moved to prison, which he believed should also happen to them.
Ross then escorted the heroes to the control room, along the way informing them that they would be provided with offices rather than prison cells and insisted upon them staying there, which T'Challa explained that he would do until Barnes was moved. Ross then left them to continue his work while allowing them to survey Barnes during the interrogation. He also left Tony Stark to try and convince Rogers to sign the Sokovia Accords at long last.
While Barnes was still held in his cell, Ross awaited the arrival of Theo Broussard to begin the questioning. During this time Ross was contacted by the Wakandan government who informed him that King T'Challa had requested that Barnes be given to him as his prisoner to be punished for the murder of T'Chaka. Ross agreed and informed T'Challa of his, sarcastically clapping him for his success as he had wanted the JCTC to keep Barnes in their custody.
Ross took time to watch as Bucky Barnes was questioned by a man posing as physiatrist Theo Broussard. Ross listened as Broussard asked Barnes about his time as an assassin for HYDRA and what he remembered about this time, although Barnes remained mostly silent and only insisted that he be called Bucky and that he was not a murderer any more since he had gotten away from HYDRA and had been trying to live as peacefully as possible while on the run in Romania.
However suddenly during the interrogation the power throughout the Joint Counter Terrorist Centre was cut out, leaving Ross unable to see or hear what was happening in the room. While Ross ordered his men to find a solution, Captain America and Sam Wilson charged downstairs only to discover that Broussard had freed Barnes who managed to escape along with Rogers and Wilson who were still trying to protect him due to their belief that this was not his fault.
Capturing Helmut Zemo
- "So, how does it feel? You spent all that time, all that effort and then see it fail so spectacularly."
- ―Everett Ross and Helmut Zemo
Eventually it was discovered that Helmut Zemo was responsible for the bombings and had been trying to use the Winter Soldier to tear apart the Avengers, as their battle against Ultron in Sokovia had cost the lives of Zemo's family. Zemo was captured by Black Panther and handed over to Ross, who proceeded to mock the terrorist for his failure to tear apart the Avengers. However, Zemo made it clear that he already succeeded in his goal as the Avengers are in total disarray, something which Ross finally realized in horror, knowing that all the members have gone to their separate ways.
This section requires expansion
To be added
This section requires expansion
To be added
- Tony Stark
- Natasha Romanoff
- James Rhodes
- Sharon Carter - Colleague
- Thaddeus Ross
- Theo Broussard †
- In the comics, Everett Ross worked for the United States Department of State, escorting foreign diplomats on American soil, one of them being Black Panther.
Behind the Scenes
- Actor Martin Freeman described his character as: "someone who works for the American government and works in conjunction with the superheroes, and certain agencies that help to tame the superheroes' power". Freeman also added that Ross is "ambiguous" and "you don't know whether he's good or bad" so "you’re not quite sure which side he's on. It looks a little bit like he's playing one game when actually he's playing another."