Franklin Hall was a Canadian scientist. He was a former asset for S.H.I.E.L.D. and became famous for his work and theories on the extremely rare element known as Gravitonium. Desiring to escape S.H.I.E.L.D., he leaked his location to his former friend Ian Quinn who freed him hoping that Hall could find a way to weaponize Gravitonium. Hall disagreed with Quinn and sought a way to destroy the Gravitonium, but before he could he was caught up in a fight with Coulson's Team who had been called in by S.H.I.E.L.D. to rescue him. During the fight, he was dropped into the Gravitonium by Agent Phil Coulson.
- "Do you remember, in all our talks on Orchard Street, the part where it's very, very dangerous?"
"Everything powerful is dangerous."
- ―Franklin Hall and Ian Quinn
Plans with the Gravitonium
Working with Ian Quinn
After discovering that Ian Quinn had discovered a large quantity of Gravitonium and fearing what Quinn would do with such power, Hall arranged to have himself kidnapped by Quinn and brought to Malta, where Hall pretended to work with Quinn towards his goals. In truth, Hall was determined to destroy the Gravitonium, along with Quinn and himself, in order to keep the world safe.
- "We have to live with the choices we make, but sometimes we have to die with them, too."
"I understand. You made a hard call."
"And now I have to make mine."
- ―Franklin Hall and Phil Coulson
What Hall didn't anticipate was a S.H.I.E.L.D. extraction operation led by Agent Phil Coulson attempting to effect Hall's rescue. Coulson, after determining that Hall's plan would harm much of the local population, disrupted Hall's plan and shut down the gravitational generator. After a scuffle, the gravitational after-effect from the generator drew Hall into the mass of Gravitonium, enveloping him inside.
Coulson ordered the mass of Gravitonium be secured in an unmarked vault at The Fridge, a S.H.I.E.L.D. storage facility. Unknown to Coulson, Hall still lives within the mass of Gravitonium and seeks escape.
When Victoria Hand planned to capture the Bus because she believed that Coulson's Team were undercover HYDRA agents, Grant Ward discussed with Coulson the different assets on-board, believing that the Gravitonium was one of them. Coulson corrected him, revealing its location.
Later, Hand listed to Simmons the various "crimes" of Agent Coulson to prove to her that he was a traitor; in that list was the death of Franklin Hall.
During the HYDRA Uprising, the Gravitonium - with Hall still trapped inside - was discovered and taken from the Fridge by HYDRA Agents John Garrett and Ward during an infiltration mission. The mass of Gravitonium was then delivered to Ian Quinn, unbeknownst that Hall is living within it.
Sometime later when John Garrett was empowered by the super-serum Raina constructed for him (which enabled him to see the Universe for what it was "underneath"), he was observing the Gravitonium mass and remarked to Raina about its latent potential.
After Quinn and Reina escaped Garrett's facility with the element, Reina informed Quinn that Hall's consciousness within the element "wanted" Quinn. Reina then opened up the container, allowing the Gravitonium to suck Quinn into it, trapping his consciousness within it along with Hall's.
For years, Hall and Quinn were trapped in the Gravitonium, arguing constantly. When Carl Creel attempted to absorb the Gravitonium to replicate it's properties, he was haunted by the voices of both Hall and Quinn. Later, Glenn Talbot absorbed the Gravitonium, gaining gravity manipulation powers, and he managed to silence the arguing voices of Hall and Quinn. Talbot then launched a campaign to absorb all of Earth's Gravitonium into himself. However, he was shot into space by Quake, killing him as well as Quinn and Hall's consciousnesses once and for all. .
To be added
- Master Scientist: Though others told him otherwise, Hall predicted the existence of Gravitonium. Hall is the teacher of other scientific geniuses, such as Leo Fitz, Jemma Simmons, and Ian Quinn.
- Handgun: To be added
- Gravitonium: To be added
- Ian Quinn † - Friend turned Enemy
- S.H.I.E.L.D. (First Incarnation) - Allies turned Enemies
In chronological order:
- Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
- In the comics, Dr. Franklin Hall becomes the super-powered villain Graviton in the Rocky Mountains. His S.H.I.E.L.D. transport being labeled with "Rocky Mountain Office Supply" is a reference to this fact.
Behind the Scenes
- Franklin Hall was originally intended to be a recurring character before his role was reduced to a single episode, which angered Ian Hart.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: 1.03: The Asset
- ↑ Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: 1.17: Turn, Turn, Turn
- ↑ Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: 1.18: Providence
- ↑ Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: 1.22: Beginning of the End
- ↑ Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: 5.16: Inside Voices
- ↑ Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: 5.18: All Roads Lead...
- ↑ Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: 5.22: The End
- ↑ Ian Hart interview: The Driver, British film, Harry Potter