- "What's with the accent, Queen Victoria? I thought I was signing up for the U.S. Army."
- ―Gilmore Hodge to Peggy Carter
Tormenting Steve Rogers
- "Step forward, Hodge. Put your right foot forward."
"Are we dancing?I got a few moves I know you'll like."
- ―Peggy Carter and Gilmore Hodge
Gilmore Hodge was one of several candidates selected for Project Rebirth. He made a poor first impression on operations supervisor Peggy Carter, when he scoffed at the idea of taking orders from a British officer, and a woman, and made a lewd remark at her expense, prompting her to knock him on his backside, in front of the commander of the Strategic Scientific Reserve, Colonel Chester Phillips.
Despite this dubious introduction, Hodge excelled at physical training and ability to follow orders, which led to his being Phillips' preferred choice as the first test subject. However, Hodge's cruelty towards a smaller, weaker candidate named Steve Rogers, did not endear him to Abraham Erskine, the inventor of the Super Soldier Serum, who was more interested in a candidate's character, labeling Hodge a "bully".
Ironically, a test intended by Phillips to prove Hodge's mettle ended up proving Rogers' instead and cementing him as the clear choice. Colonel Phillips tossed a dummy grenade at the recruits, causing Hodge and the others to dive for cover, while Rogers' threw himself on the grenade.
When the SSR was later reassigned to battle HYDRA in the wake of Erskine's death, Hodge accompanied them to Europe. He later witnessed Rogers (now known as Captain America) return to the camp with some four hundred Allied Prisoners of War's who had been liberated during Rogers' unauthorized raid on a HYDRA base in Austria and was seen applauding the soldier he once bullied.
To be added
- "Hodge passed every test we gave him. He’s big, he’s fast, he obeys orders. He’s a soldier."
- ―Chester Phillips
To be added
- United States Army
- In the comics, Gilmore Hodge was an United States Army soldier recruited to Project Rebirth, but he later defected the Allied forces by joining the Nazis.