Gosnell was a former member of the United States Armed Forces who, after being badly wounded on the front lines, became a drug dealer with his former officer Ray Schoonover. This eventually put Gosnell into conflict with his own former ally Frank Castle who was hunting the Blacksmith and killed Gosnell in an explosion.
- "After a war, some men turn their backs on you, they want to forget, not Gosnell, no. Took the worst part of an IED on a recon, left half his face on a dirt road, spent the better part of a year in hospital. That kid never gave up, never gave in."
- ―Ray Schoonover
While serving on the United States Armed Forces in Iraq under the leadership of Major Ray Schoonover, Gosnell was hit by an Improvised Explosive Device which tore off a large section of his face, leaving him in the hospital for almost a year. During his recovery, Gosnell was often visited by Schoonover and his fellow soldier Frank Castle. Years later, Gosnell's sense of loyalty led him to track down Schoonover in New York City where he was working as a drug dealer called the Blacksmith. Gosnell proved himself loyal and agreed to help build Schoonover's crime empire.
Hunting the Punisher
- "We got him. Been a long time hasn't it Frank! Kill him!"
While still serving Ray Schoonover, Gosnell was instructed to assassinate his former ally Frank Castle, who had left the United States Armed Forces and was currently hunting the Blacksmith down due to his part in the Massacre at Central Park which had killed his family. Castle's hunt for blood led him to killing Chaney and Speed who, just before they died, revealed that the Blacksmith's drugs could be found on Pier 81 where Gosnell and his team found him.
Once Gosnell had contacted Schoonover to update him on their search, he mockingly called out to Castle before ordering himself and his men to begin shooting at him. However Gosnell was unaware that the ship Castle was on was covered in gasoline which quickly ignited. The entire ship exploded in a massive fireball which killed Gosnell and his men when they were hit by the flames and shrapnel. His body was later discovered by the New York City Police Department as well as Karen Page, who saw Gosnell's scarred face.
- Uzi: Gosnell took an Uzi when he got word that Frank Castle had attacked the ship they used to smuggle heroin into the country. Upon his arrival, Gosnell taunted Castle and then used his Uzi to open fire against the ship, like the rest of his men. Unbeknownst to them, Castle had filled the ship with gasoline, and their shots caused an explosion that killed them.
- Ray Schoonover/Blacksmith † - Superior
- ↑ The Attack on the Hand cannot be much longer than a month before Christmas, December 25th, as Murdock still has cuts and bruises from the battle then, so at the earliest it is mid-November, and Gosnell's death is 2 nights before that, so at the earliest it is November. However, Just to Get a Rep has to be after the Attack on Metro-General Hospital, which is the night before this event. DWYCK shows the date to be December 1st, and Just to Get a Rep is a while before that, so at the latest as well this is November.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Daredevil: 2.12: The Dark at the End of the Tunnel
- ↑ Daredevil: 2.11: .380