Comic Book Origins: The Grandmaster
Do you like this video?
To be added
- "It's main event time!"
To be added
Powers and Abilities
- Longevity: The Grandmaster has an extraordinary long lifespan, having appeared shortly after the beginning of the universe.
- Telepathy: The Grandmaster has the ability to read minds.
- Sakaaran Guards
- Topaz - Bodyguard
- Valkyrie - Servant
- Loki - Guest
- Hulk - Servant and Champion
- Beta Ray Bill - Former Champion
- Ares - Former Champion
- Man-Thing - Former Champion
- Bi-Beast - Former Champion
- In the comics, the Grandmaster, along with the Collector, is one of the Elders of the Universe. In a competition with the Cosmic Entity Death, he captured various heroes from Earth and forced them to fight against each other. He was also the custodian of the Mind Stone before Thanos took it for the Infinity Gauntlet.
- The Grandmaster's clothing colors are references to how he originally appeared in the comics. He wore gold clothes and had blue skin and red eyes.
- The Grandmaster's role in Thor: Ragnarok is analogue to the Red King, the ruler of the Sakaaran Imperial and master of the Sakaaran arena, in the Planet Hulk Storyline.
Behind the Scenes
- Jeff Goldblum described the character as "a hedonist, a pleasure-seeker, an enjoyer of life and tastes and smells." He also said that director Taika Waititi encouraged improvisation in order for Goldblum to "make the character his own".
- Unlike his appearance in the comics, the Grandmaster does not have blue skin. This is because the filmmakers did not want to detract from Goldblum's personality by concealing his appearance, especially since Goldblum had already played a blue-coloured character in Earth Girls Are Easy.