- "I'm not a queen, or a monster. I'm the Goddess of Death."
- ―Hela to Thor
Hela Odinsdottir is the Asgardian Goddess of Death who was imprisoned for millennia. After being released by mistake, Hela immediately began to exact vengeance against the people who imprisoned her while engaging in a series of confrontations with her younger brother Thor.
To be added
- "Asgard is dead and it will be reborn in my image."
Powers and Abilities
- "Darling, you don't know what's possible."
- ―Hela to Thor
- Weapon Manifestation: Hela can manifest weapons out of different parts of her body, such as her sword.
- Superhuman Strength: Hela is strong enough to effortlessly catch Mjølnir with one hand after it was thrown point-blank at her with full speed. She also crushed it with no effort. Whether she crushed it through magical or physical means remains to be seen. She was also shown to be able to fight Thor and Valkyrie on equal grounds and throw them through the air with her attacks.
- Expert Combatant: Hela is a highly skilled combatant, capable of slaying multiple Einherjar in battle. Her skills are on par with those of Thor and Valkyrie, two powerful Asgardian warriors of their own rights.
- Necroswords: To be added
- In Norse Mythology, as in the comics, Hela is the illegitimate daughter of Loki. She was raised in the care of Asgard for a time until she was appointed as ruler of Hel and Niflheim by Odin.
- Hela is the first female main antagonist in a Marvel Cinematic Universe film.
Behind the Scenes
- To prepare for her role as Hela, Cate Blanchett studied Capoeira, a Brazilian martial art.
- Cate Blanchett accepted a role in this movie to please her children, who are Marvel comics fans. Blanchett's eldest son Dashiell John Upton suggested she take the role of Hela, saying it'd be a career boost.
- One of the film's producers, Brad Winderbaum had described Cate Blanchett's performance as "an incredible performance. She’s really scary and really charming. She’s very easy to watch, very fun to be around. But very murderous and horrible at the same time." In addition, he explained that Hela's appearance in Infinity War is uncertain now.
- Charlize Theron was considered for the role of Hela.
- Zoë Bell was a stunt double for Cate Blanchett in the role of Hela.
- ↑ Total Film Magazine Issue 254
- ↑ Cate Blanchett on Why Hela Isn't Necessarily Evil
- ↑ Chris Hemsworth and Mark Ruffalo Australian Interview - Secret Plot Twist Revealed? (2017)
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Thor: Ragnarok
- ↑ Hela Is A Mix Of The Classic Character and Gorr The God Butcher In 'Thor: Ragnarok'
- ↑ Is Cate Blanchett's Thor Ragnarok villain Hela involved?