|For other uses, see Iron Man (disambiguation)|
- "I am Iron Man. The suit and I are one. To turn over the Iron Man suit would be to turn over myself, which is tantamount to indentured servitude or prostitution, depending on what state you're in."
- ―Tony Stark
Anthony Edward "Tony" Stark is an eccentric self-described genius, billionaire, playboy and philanthropist. He is also the armored superhero known as Iron Man. Fresh off from defeating enemies all over the world, Stark reluctantly agreed to serve as a consultant to Nick Fury's peacekeeping intelligence agency S.H.I.E.L.D. Stark joined the Avengers and helped defeat the Chitauri and Loki during the Battle of New York. Due to the battle, he suffered from post-traumatic stress disorder, leading him to create the Iron Legion. After the Battle on the Norco, the final event of Aldrich Killian's War, he destroyed all of his armors with the Clean Slate Protocol.
However, when the Avengers were officially reassembled, Stark created new armors to fight the remnants of HYDRA. Once the threat had been ended, Stark, with the help of Bruce Banner, built Ultron as a peace-keeping A.I. to protect the world, but it defected and chose to destroy humanity instead. Through the work of the Avengers, Ultron was defeated. After the war, however, Stark retired from the team, still haunted by his role in the chaos the A.I. created.
The guilt of creating Ultron and causing so much destruction and loss of life eventually convinced Stark to sign with Thaddeus Ross and create the Sokovia Accords. However, Stark's strong support of the accords lead to a disagreement with Captain America, who very much opposed the plans. When Rogers proceeded further to disobey orders by protecting Winter Soldier, Stark led the man-hunt for his old ally, igniting the Avengers Civil War.
- "I never got to say goodbye to my father. There's questions I would've asked him. I would've asked him how he felt about what his company did, if he was conflicted, if he ever had doubts. Or maybe he was every inch of man we remember from the newsreels."
- ―Tony Stark
Anthony Edward "Tony" Stark was born on Friday, May 29, 1970 to Howard and Maria Stark. Howard hired a butler named Edwin Jarvis before Tony was born. Jarvis became a good friend to Tony as he grew older. He watched over Tony throughout all of his childhood.
Tony's early life was often dominated by the absence of his father who he would later describe as 'cold' and 'calculating'. Growing up Tony had issues with his father, who Tony has said never told his son that he loved him, or even that he liked him. Since Tony was so young, Howard never was able to tell him his plans for him.
Tony's father would constantly talk about his friend Captain America, so that he could inspire Tony to do great things in life, which highly annoyed young Tony Stark. When he was four years old, he made his first circuit board. When he was almost seven he built a V8 motorbike engine. At sixteen, he won the 4th Annual M.I.T. Robot Design Award. When Tony was seventeen he graduated MIT at the top of his class. He also met James "Rhodey" Rhodes, and they became best friends.
One thing about Tony's childhood that annoyed him was his nanny that cared for him until he was 14.
New CEO of Stark Industries
One Christmas, as Tony was 21, Howard and Maria prepared to go away for a few days and leave him alone, although his father remained highly skeptical about how responsible Tony would be while they were gone. Sadly, they died in a car crash in Long Island. Stark became For a few months Obadiah Stane, a family friend, took over the company since Tony was too young to be CEO of the family's company, Stark Industries. Around this time, Tony's family butler, Edwin Jarvis, died. A few months later, he inherited Stark Industries, becoming the youngest CEO of a Fortune 500 Company in history. After building a custom mansion, Tony made an A.I. system that helped out in the house. He named the system "Just a Rather Very Intelligent System", shortened J.A.R.V.I.S., after his butler.
Under Tony's leadership, Stark Industries thrived and became one of the most advanced companies in the world, creating technology that seemed futuristic to most.
- "A famous man once said, ‘we create our own demons’. Who said that? What does it even mean? It doesn’t matter; I said it because he said it, so now he was famous and then basically getting said by two well-known guys. I don’t…argh. Let me start again."
- ―Tony Stark
On New Year's Eve in 1999, Stark, with his scientist paramour Maya Hansen, attended a science conference in Bern, Switzerland. There he met a scientist named Ho Yinsen and he arrogantly avoided a gifted but crippled scientist, Aldrich Killian, who wanted Stark's backing in his endeavor Advanced Idea Mechanics. Stark purposely told Killian to meet him on the rooftop of the building with the intention of not turning up. This lead Killian to wait all night while Stark slept with Maya in her room.
Before His Kidnapping
Testing Weapons in Arizona
Stark and Rhodes went to a weapon demonstration at the Yuma Proving Ground. Pepper Potts gave the weapon's specifics to the generals while Stark and Rhodes went to a night club. Stark enjoyed the company of two girls while Rhodes tried to convince him not to go to Afghanistan. He was then attacked by a man whose girlfriend he previously seduced, but Rhodes easily defeated the attacker. Later, Stark, Rhodes, and the girls went to Stark's Mansion.
Final Day of Freedom
- "You've been called the Da Vinci of our time. What do you say to that?"
"Absolutely ridiculous. I don't paint."
"And what do you say to your other nickname, the Merchant of Death?"
"That's not bad."
- ―Christine Everhart and Tony Stark
After a presentation of Stark's successful past, James Rhodes was given the honor of presenting the Apogee Award to him at Caesars Palace in Las Vegas. When Obadiah Stane gave Rhodes a signal saying that Stark was not there to receive it, Stane took the award in Stark's honor. Shortly after the award ceremony, Rhodes brought Stark the award while he was gambling in the casino inside of Caesars Palace. Rhodes got very angry at him for not being present for the award. Right when Stark was about to leave the hotel, Christine Everhart tried to interview him for Vanity Fair. Stark deflected her questions with some swift quips and the two ended up spending the night together at Tony's ocean front house.
In the morning Stark began working on one of his cars. His assistant Pepper Potts reminded him about his trip to Afghanistan. He got to the plane three hours late. He and Rhodes soon got drunk and had a small party on the plane. Stark presented his newest weapon, the Jericho missile, to the military spectators and demonstrated its capability. After the successful presentation Stark had a drink and got into a convoy vehicle to leave.
Becoming Iron Man
- "You got a family?"
"Yes, and I will see them when I leave here. And you, Stark?"
"So you're a man who has everything, and nothing."
- ―Tony Stark and Ho Yinsen
During his business trip to Afghanistan to demonstrate Stark Industries' newest weapon, the Jericho missile, Stark's convoy was attacked by insurgents. While soldiers were dying around him, he attempted to find cover and call for help when one of his own company's bombs landed near him and exploded. The blast caused him to lose consciousness and embedded several pieces of shrapnel in his chest, several fragments dangerously close to his heart.
He woke up some time later with an electromagnet attached to his chest. Hooked up to a car battery, the electromagnet kept the shrapnel from entering his heart and killing him. Stark had been captured by the terrorist group, the Ten Rings, which offered his release if he built a Jericho missile for them.
Knowing they would never keep up their end, Stark and fellow captive Ho Yinsen instead made a plan to escape. In order to improve Stark's condition, he and Yinsen created a miniature Arc Reactor, a smaller version of the power source previously invented by his father, Howard Stark, and Anton Vanko, which they embedded into his chest to supply energy to the electromagnet protecting his heart. Together, they secretly began building an armored suit to help them escape.
Soon the pair enacted their escape plan; however, the booby-trapped door the pair had rigged with an explosive was set off. Yinsen realized that they did not have enough time to power the suit before the terrorists arrived. He took a gun and held back the terrorists, but was mortally wounded. With his last words, Yinsen reassured Stark that it would be all right to leave him behind and urged him not to waste his life. Angered by Yinsen's death, Stark stepped outside; the suit protected him from the onslaught of bullets, and he used the suit's flame-throwers to kill several terrorists, destroy their stockpile of Stark Industries produced weapons, and escape, though his suit was destroyed as he crashed in the desert.
Upon being picked up by the Air Force and returned to the United States, Stark met with Pepper Potts; he asked to first be given a burger, then called a press meeting. At the meeting, Stark finished his burger and declared that his company would, for the foreseeable future, no longer manufacture weapons. This move shocked the press, many declaring that he must be suffering from PTSD. His father's friend and business partner, Obadiah Stane, told him that this move was blocked by the board members shortly after, worried that the decision would ruin the company.
Marks II and III
- "Test complete. Preparing to power down and begin diagnostics..."
"Uh, yeah, tell you what. Do a weather and ATC check, start listening in on ground control."
"Sir, there are still terabytes of calculations required before an actual flight is..."
"J.A.R.V.I.S., sometimes you gotta run before you can walk."
- ―J.A.R.V.I.S. and Tony Stark
In the months that followed, Stark retreated from public view, focusing on improving the design of his new armored suit, refining its size, movement, and flight capability. He asked Pepper Potts to help him take his old Arc Reactor out and to put in a stronger one that would be used to power his suits.
He eventually perfected the flight power after much trial and error, taking the silver Mark II suit for its first test flight, despite J.A.R.V.I.S.' warnings that there had not been enough tests. He soared high in the sky over the city and shouted in delight at his success. However when he pushed the suit to see how high he could fly, he learned the suit can freeze, which disabled its power. Stark fell from the sky and was just able to restart the suit moments before he would have hit the ground. He flew back to his mansion, and promptly fell though the ceiling, destroying his piano and sports car.
Sometime afterwards, Stark detected someone trying to hack into his home computer system, tracing the signal to a corporation satellite. Believing it to be business espionage, Stark took the skies to destroy the satellite.
During his first public appearance since his return to the United States, Stark met Phil Coulson, an agent of the Strategic Homeland Intervention, Enforcement and Logistics Division; they arranged a meeting to discuss the events of his kidnapping. Stark however was too distracted by seeing Pepper. He danced with her and almost kissed her before he went to get them both a drink. While ordering the drinks, Stark was accosted by Christine Everhart, who showed him pictures of Stark Industries weapons in the hands of terrorist groups, including the Jericho missiles he refused to build for them. He also discovered that Obadiah Stane had been supplying weapons to both the U.S. troops and the terrorists, as well as being the one to shut him out of the board while he recovered.
Faced with the realization of what his company had done, Stark donned his suit and flew to Afghanistan, liberating Gulmira, Ho Yinsen's home village, from the Ten Rings. While destroying their weapon stockpiles, he accidentally drew the attention of the United States Air Force and his friend and company military liaison, Lieutenant Colonel James Rhodes.
Two F-22 Raptors were ordered to take out the unknown target, and during the confrontation, Stark called Rhodes and revealed his identity to him in an attempt to have the attack called off. However, while trying to evade the attack, one of the Raptors lost its left wing when it accidentally collided with Stark. The pilot ejected shortly afterwards, but his parachute jammed. Stark dived down to help the pilot release his parachute before escaping.
- "You had a great idea, Tony, but my suit is more advanced in every way!"
"How'd you solve the icing problem?"
"Might want to look into it."
- ―Obadiah Stane and Tony Stark
Determined to make amends for his mistakes, Stark sent Pepper Potts to find Stark Industries shipping records, so that he could track down the illicit shipments and destroy them. While hacking into the system, she discovered that it was Obadiah Stane who hired the Ten Rings to kill Stark in Afghanistan, but they had reneged on the deal when they realized who the target was. She also discovered that Stane had recovered Stark's original armor prototype and had reverse-engineered his own version. However, his team of scientists, not possessing Stark's genius, could not reverse engineer a miniature Arc Reactor to power the new suit.
Stane, realizing Potts' discovery, stole the Arc Reactor from Stark's chest to power his new suit, leaving Stark to die. Using his first reactor, which was not designed to power his latest armor, Stark battled with Stane atop Stark Industries Headquarters and the surrounding streets. Stark tricked Stane by forcing him to fly high enough so his suit would freeze and caused Stane's suit to fall from the sky. Stane survived and continued to attack him. Stark eventually killed him when the full-sized Arc Reactor that powered the laboratory was deliberately overloaded by Potts, electrocuting Stane and causing him to fall into the Arc Reactor and explode.
Meeting with Coulson
- "I think I know how to fight."
"Not yet you don't. You hit like an inventor. Fighting isn't like science or technology. You are supposed to cheat."
"Yeah. I know. I've watched professional wrestling. Rhodey thinks you're trying to recruit me."
"Something like that. You've created something amazing. Something that may well change the world. But the armor's creation was only the first step. Now comes the real battle. That is if you're willing."
- ―Tony Stark and Phil Coulson
After fighting Obadiah Stane, James Rhodes tried to get Stark into an ambulance to see if he had any internal injuries. The ambulance was a fake one sent by S.H.I.E.L.D. to retrieve him. Now that they could finally get to talk to Stark, Phil Coulson talked to him after they dropped him off at a small theater. Coulson viewed Stark's fighting strategy from his fight with Iron Monger on a projector screen. He told him he needed to become a real fighter and that he would be trained by skilled S.H.I.E.L.D. agents.
I Am Iron Man
- "I'm just not the hero type. Clearly. With this laundry list of character defects, all the mistakes I've made, largely public."
"Just stick to the cards, man."
"Yeah, okay. The truth is... I am Iron Man."
- ―Tony Stark and James Rhodes
The next morning, news had spread of Tony Stark's alter ego, which was dubbed "Iron Man" by the press. Stark held a press conference where S.H.I.E.L.D. Agent Phil Coulson gave him a fabricated cover story and advised him to state that Iron Man was his bodyguard. However, during the course of the conference, in a moment of self clarity, Stark instead announced to the public that he himself was Iron Man.
Meeting Nick Fury
That night, Stark arrived home and was greeted by a visitor who was standing by the window. He revealed himself as Nick Fury, director of S.H.I.E.L.D., and assured him that he was not the only 'superhero' in the world, intending to discuss the Avengers Initiative with Stark. However, Stark, uninterested in having the government offering him opportunities, ordered Fury out of the house.
When Nick Fury sent a team of United States Navy SEALs to board a ship controlled by the Ten Rings in the port of Aden, Iron Man suddenly appeared and attacked the terrorists. Though the SEALs were outnumbered by the terrorists, Iron Man had no problems with killing all the terrorists and saving the SEALs. Later, back in his house, Stark talked with Pepper Potts about his latest action.
Partnership with Gorani Insurance
- "There's a problem with this tire."
"Oh, what's wrong?"
"Your phone number isn't written on it. You'll have to write it down somewhere else, or enter it into my phone, or―"
"―or we could wait until fate brings us back together."
- ―Tony Stark and Evetta Gorani
When Stark went to Germany to a meeting with the representatives of Gorani Insurance, a company that was financially backing most of his foreign factories, to talk about the new rates, he encountered a roadblock in the German autobahns. The policemen then told him that some thieves had stolen paintings worth over 100 million dollars. Later, he encountered a girl with a small problem ― a flat car tire. He helped her to change the tire but when he asked her for her phone number, she said he would have to wait until fate brought them back together.
After the girl left, Stark saw a vehicle in the forest that matched the description of the van that the thieves used in their robbery. He decided to check and saw the whole gang. Though he did not bring his entire Iron Man Armor, he had the left glove and used it to defeat and capture all of the thieves.Stark then called the police, who arrested the criminals, and then he took the paintings back to the museum, but did not take any reward for returning the paintings. He then rushed to arrive on time to his meeting.
Later, when he arrived at his postponed meeting, he was reunited with the girl he met in the autobahns, and discovered that she was Evetta Gorani, the vice president of Gorani Insurance, who was eventually going to take the mantle of president from her father, Michael. Michael told Stark that the museum that owned the stolen paintings was insured by Gorani Insurance. When he asked Evetta again for her phone number, she said they would "negotiate" after the meeting.
Dealing with a Public Identity
Tony Stark continued to help ensuring peace in the world while also removing Ten Rings terrorists, including saving a United Nations peacekeeping mission that was under attack. Stark also helped General Thaddeus Ross in saving the pilot of the Aerodynamic Marvel that crashed in the Congo. Senator Stern also expressed his concerns of the Iron Man suit as a topic in national security.
Trying to have a serious relationship after the revelation that he is Iron Man, Stark started a relationship with Lina, a beautiful girl. Soon she was blackmailed by the Ten Ring whom wanted her to obtain the blueprints from the Iron Man Armor, kidnapping her son to ensure her compliance. She tried to obtain the blueprints but J.A.R.V.I.S. stopped her, as she managed to escape Stark located her and after she explained the situation Stark went to rescue her son succesfully.
As Iron Man Stark, Stark performed numerous acts of heroism around the world, including saving the crew of a Russian submarine, pulling a woman out of a burning building, and saving 12 miners from a hematite mine in Tianjin, China.
These acts spread like wildfire, increasing the amount of publicity he received and making him the focus of countless newspaper artices. Many began crediting him as the man who "[stabilized] East-West relations" while Time magazine featured him as their "Person of the Year".
Stark Expo '11
Starting the Expo
- "Oh, it is good to be back! Did you miss me? Blow something up, already did that... I'm not saying the world is enjoying it's longest period of uninterrupted peace in years because of me! I'm not saying that from the ashes of captivity, never has a Phoenix metaphor been more personified in human history!"
- ―Tony Stark at Stark Expo
Six months after revealing his own identity to the world and helping maintain world peace, Stark appeared as Iron Man at the grand opening of the Stark Expo in Flushing Meadows, New York City, continuing the legacy his father, Howard Stark, had started. Treating the crowd to the Ironette Dancers and a speech in which he boosted about giving the world it's longest running period of uninterrupted peace, Stark left the stage with a video of his father playing.
Unfortunately, Stark's own life was not as good as it appeared. Stark was facing a double threat. The first, and possibly worst of the two, was in the form of his own heart: the Arc Reactor Palladium core was poisoning him, causing him a slow painful death due to his constant overuse of the Iron Man armor. Meanwhile Stark was also aware that the United States Armed Forces were constantly looking to take his technology away from him.
Stark then left the Expo with Happy Hogan helping to keep the press at bay, signing autographs and meeting Larry Ellison and Larry King on their way out before he was confronted by a beautiful U.S. Marshal who was waiting beside his car. The Marshal then informed Stark and Hogan that he was required to attend a congressional meeting in Washington, D.C. the very next day in order to discuss the future of his work as the well known superhero Iron Man.
Meeting with Senator Stern
- "I am Iron Man. The suit and I are one. To turn over the Iron Man suit would be to turn over myself, which is tantamount to indentured servitude or prostitution, depending on what state you're in. You can't have it."
"Look, I'm no expert..."
"In prostitution? Of course not you're a senator, come on!"
- ―Tony Stark and Senator Stern
The second threat was from a senate committee hearing, this time led by Senator Stern, demanding that Stark release the technology of the Iron Man armor for military application. Stark refused, believing it was not in the best interest of the American people for the United States Armed Forces to possess it and that they would use it as a weapon that could very well be used against America if other various countries were able to recreate the Arc Reactor technology.
Senator Stern tried to turn Lt. Colonel James Rhodes against him in an effort to force Stark's decision. Competitor Justin Hammer tried to plead his case in the matter; Stark took this opportunity to embarrass both Hammer and Stern with a collection of footage of Hammer and others around the world attempting to recreate the technology. Stark arrogantly stated that it would be years before anyone would be able to successfully recreate the tech.
Making Pepper CEO
- "I don't care about the liberal agenda anymore, it's boring, boring, I'm giving you a boring order, you do it."
"I do what?"
"Excellent idea, I just figured this out, you run the company."
"Yeah I'm trying to run a company."
- ―Tony Stark and Pepper Potts
Returning to his Malibu Home, Stark was greeted by J.A.R.V.I.S. who updated him on the fallout from his meeting with Senator Stern. While Stark listened to the news, he pulled out his Arc Reactor and examined the damaged Palladium core which was slowly killing him, with J.A.R.V.I.S. noting that a replacement had not yet been found that could both power his many Iron Man Armors and also still keep him alive.
Uncertain of his chances of survival, Stark decided to appoint his former personal assistant Pepper Potts into the role he no longer was interested in, CEO of Stark Industries. When Potts arrived in his workshop, she and Stark had an argument about Stark's own lack of interest in his company and their resources ever since becoming Iron Man at which point he informed her that he had decided to promote her. Although Potts did not at first believe that Stark was being serious with this idea, Stark had Dum-E deliver some champaign to them as he confirmed that this would be happening and she was the perfect person to take the job over from him.
While doing some boxing training with Happy Hogan, during which he used dirty boxing technics to gain the upper hand, Stark saw the arrival of Pott's new replacement as his own personal assistant, Natalie Rushman. Although Hogan hit Stark around the head, he proceeded to kick him away and beat him into surrendering before inviting Rushman into the ring. Stark looked into Rushman's eyes before inviting Hogan to train with her instead.
Stark then sat down with Potts to discuss Rushman, with Stark bringing up her history files and noting that she even spoke Latin and had once been an underwear model. While they were speaking Stark and Potts witnessed Rushman using a leg move to pin Hogan to the floor, before she exited the ring and asked Stark to sign the paperwork handing Stark Industries ovr to Potts. Once Rushman was gone, Stark told Potts that he needed her.
Monaco Grand Prix
- "What's the point of owning a race car if you can't drive it?"
- ―Tony Stark
Stark traveled to Monaco with Pepper Potts and Happy Hogan. There Stark and Potts encountered Justin Hammer, who smugly tried to show off that he was being interviewed by Christine Everhart for an upcoming piece for Vanity Fair; Stark quickly made it clear of his own romantic history with Everhart and noted that Hammer Industries had lost their contract with the United States Armed Forces due to his embarrassing performance at the senate committee hearing.
Taking some time away from Hammer, Stark excused himself to check his blood toxicity level in the bathroom. Seeing that the Arc Reactor's poisoning of his body due to the levels of Palladium it was emitting into his skin. Looking up at the mirror and seeing that he likely did not have much time left until he eventually died from this poisoning, Stark began questioning what he would like to do with these last few months that he likely had left.
Growing increasingly despondent and thrill-seeking as a direct consequence of what he believed to be his impending death, Stark decided to take the Stark Industries car intended for the track and race it at the Monaco Grand Prix. As he stepped into the car, with all the cameras now facing him, Stark gave a look which he knew would be viewed by Justin Hammer, much to Hammer's annoyance as he would once again be taking the spotlight away.
As Stark drove around the track, Ivan Vanko, who had successfully constructed an Arc Reactor of his own, along with whip-like energy weapons, attacked him, using the whips to cut off the front of his car and cause it to crash. Despite Stark's best efforts to gain the upper hand once he escaped from the car, Whiplash's armoured weapons still managed to get the better of Stark who was more of less defenceless against him. As Whiplash prepared to rip Stark apart, Stark did manage to trick him into causing an explosion which separated the pair.
With the aid of both Pepper Potts and Happy Hogan, who had driven into the race track and successfully managed to crash their own car into Whiplash, Stark prepared to make his escape before he could be killed. However Whiplash continued to fight despite being pinned to the wall, forcing Potts to hand Stark his portable briefcase armor, allowing Stark to don the Mark V armor ready to do battle against his would be assassin in the middle of the track.
Using his new suit, Iron Man attempted to subdue Whiplash by firing his repulser rays at his attacker, but Whiplash was able to block those blows with his own armour before managing to strangle Iron Man with his whips and fling him across the racetrack into Hogans car and then back the other way, tightening the whips around his neck and sending him volts of electricity from the whips which slowly destroyed the suit while Vanko looked on smiling.
Not allowing himself to be defeated, Iron Man managed to build up his own strength and began wrapping the whips around himself in order to get closer towards Whiplash. Once he was close enough he punched him in the face a few times before ripping the Arc Reactor out of his chest and crushing it in his hand. As Whiplash was being dragged away by the police, he then spat out his own blood before laughing and claiming that Stark had now lost.
Meeting with Ivan Vanko
- "Where will you be watching the world consume me from? Oh, that's right, a prison cell. I'll send you a bar of soap."
"Hey, Tony. Before you go, palladium in the chest, painful way to die."
- ―Tony Stark and Ivan Vanko
Afterward, Stark decided to pay a visit to Ivan Vanko personally while he was being held in a French prison to learn how he acquired the technology, being led there by Lemieux. Once they were alone, Stark commented on Vanko's technology and even suggested ways that he could improve it, thinking that he would never actually get a chance to.
During the conversation, Vanko revealed that he was the son of Anton Vanko, who collaborated with Howard Stark on the first Arc Reactor but was deported back to the Soviet Union and died in poverty. Vanko blamed the Stark family for his family's fate, and sought revenge. Vanko also mentioned that was he fully aware of Stark's current heart poisoning, saying that it was a terrible way to die, laughing out loud to himself as Stark left.
Whiplash's Attack Aftermath
Despite Ivan Vanko having been put in prison for his crimes, the response to another man using the Arc Reactor technology was immediate, with Senator Stern giving interviews on WHiH World News could Stark's failure. While on his private jet returning to the United States of America, Stark made dinner for Pepper Potts as they discussed the aftermath of the attack, with Stark even suggesting that he quit being Iron Man from now on.
Stark returned to his home where he and J.A.R.V.I.S. tried to find a solution in finding a new power source for the Arc Reactor as well as looking at the history files of Ivan Vanko and his father Anton Vanko, who had formally worked for Stark Industries years earlier before being deported under the orders of Howard Stark. While at his home he was visited by James Rhodes, who came to berate Stark about the military's wish to take his suits. However, Rhodes realized how unwell Stark was and assisted him by changing the Arc Reactor Palladium core. Rhodes tried to convince Stark that he did not have to do his journey alone although Stark still remained skeptical.
Feeling more depressed about his future, Stark considered cancelling his birthday party which was now being prepared at his Malibu Mansion. Stark was then visited by Natalie Rushman, who came to give him a choice of watches to wear. Stark posed these questions to Rushman, asking what she would do with only a few days left to live, with Rushman telling him that she would do whatever she wanted with whoever she wanted to do it with.
Stark's Birthday Party
- "You think you got what it takes to wear that suit?"
"We don't have to do this, Tony."
"You wanna be the War Machine, take your shot!"
- ―Iron Man and James Rhodes
Stark decided to attend what could very well be his last ever birthday party and quickly got himself very drunk, putting on his Iron Man Armour and partying with the many other guests who had come to celebrate. At one point he invited Natalie Rushman to wear one of his gauntlets and fire it at an ice sculpture, taking great pleasure in the destruction before joining the other guests and drinking more alcohol shots to get himself even further drunk and even harder to keep in control.
While wearing the Iron Man armor and indulged in many dangerous activities, such as using his repulsor blasts to destroy a watermelon, Stark was watched by Pepper Potts who attempted to make him stop, being advised by James Rhodes that this was a terrible time to be acting so foolishly. Despite Potts taking the microphone away from Stark and trying to tell the guests that it was time to go home, Stark would not listen to reason and instead insisted that his party keep going as he continued to reckless as he used his Iron Man Suit to entertain his drunk guests within his Malibu Mansion, much to Potts' and Rhodes' dismay as they looked on in horror.
In the end, Stark's actions became more and more dangerous and foolish, forcing his friend, Rhodes, to intervene. Rhodes donned Stark's Iron Man: Mark II armor and ordered the guests out of the room before demanding that Stark get out of the suit. Stark ignored him and instead requested that Adam Goldstein put on a good song for the incoming fight. The pair clashed as they flew through room to room, using whatever weapons they could find to try and subdue the other, including throwing heavy weights at each other before Rhodes managed to throw Stark into his upstairs bedroom.
Eventually, after almost destroying all of Tony Stark's Mansion in the resulting fight, Stark managed to subdue Rhodes by smashing his head down against the kitchen counter, furiously roaring at the onlookers to force them to flee. As Rhodes recovered and threatened Stark, they both fired their repulsors at each other, which caused a massive explosion. With Stark out of the fight, Rhodes delivered the armor to the United States Armed Forces while Stark could only look on helplessly as he lay his head back in exhaustion.
Rediscovering the Element
Nick Fury's Help
- "What do you want from me?"
"What do we want from you? What do you want from me? You have become a problem, a problem I have to deal with. Contrary to your belief, you are not the center of my universe. I have bigger problems than you in the southwest region to deal with."
- ―Tony Stark and Nick Fury
In the aftermath of his battle with James Rhodes, Stark took the Iron Man Suit and flew to Randy's Donuts in California, buying himself a box of Donuts and enjoying them in the middle of the Donut sign above the shop. Just as he was relaxing in the morning sun, Nick Fury, Director of S.H.I.E.L.D., approached Stark and ordered him to come inside.
Taking a seat inside, Stark once again informed Fury that he was not interested in joining the Avengers before rudely asking if he should look at Fury's eye or patch. Changing the subject, Fury then revealed to Stark that Natalie Rushman was in fact the undercover agent Black Widow, who Stark tried and failed to fire from Stark Industries. As Stark and Fury continued their conversation, Romanoff gave Stark an injection which slowed down the poison in his veins caused by his Arc Reactor before Fury reassured him that somewhere there was a cure and he simply had not discovered it yet, despite Stark insisting that he had already looked everywhere and found nothing.
Returning to Tony Stark's Mansion, they discussed the history of Anton Vanko who had been working with Howard Stark in creating the Arc Reactor before he was deported for selling secrets on the black market where he then raised his son Ivan Vanko in Siberia. Before he departed, Fury revealed that Stark's father was one of S.H.I.E.L.D.'s founders and left Stark to go through his belongings to find the cure, leaving Agent Phil Coulson to watch over him.
Researching his Family
Nick Fury gave Stark some of his father's old material to aid in finding a cure for the palladium poisoning. Stark found several items, including the notebook with the drawings of a "hypercube" and two Captain America comic books. Watching an old tape of his father, Stark discovered a hidden message where his father told him that he was proud of his son and viewed him as his greatest creation.
Stark then drove to the Stark Industries Headquarters, buying some strawberries along the way and met with Pepper Potts who tried to inform him she was too busy to talk. Once Stark got her attention, he attempted to apologise in his way, which Potts struggled to believe and insisted she needed to focus on Stark Industries' future. They were interrupted by Happy Hogan and Natasha Romanoff who were both now working only for Potts.
As Potts and Hogan left the office, Stark spoke with Romanoff and questioned how she could keep this lie going and she insulted him before leaving. Stark prepared to leave the office, dumping the strawberries into the bin, but first he thought he saw a hidden message in the diorama of the 1974 Stark Expo proved to be a diagram of a new element's atomic structure. Stark took the model into his car and drove it back to his mansion for further study.
Putting the model on his desk, Stark ordered J.A.R.V.I.S. to make a scan of the model, removing all the trees and buildings from the scan so he focus just on the model itself. As J.A.R.V.I.S. questioned what Stark's plan was, he explained that he believed he had found a hidden message. Eventually Stark realised that the new element was inside the globe in the centre, with Stark thanking his father for gifting him with it as it would soon save his life.
A New Element
- "You want to run some tests? Run them, and assemble the suit while you're at it, put it together now."
"We are unclear on the..."
"I don't want to hear it J.A.R.V.I.S., Tastes like coconut!"
- ―Tony Stark and J.A.R.V.I.S.
As Stark put the final pieces together to begin his experiment, he was greeted by Agent Phil Coulson who asked where he had been before discovering a prototype for Captain America's Shield which Stark took and used to straighten some of his machinery. Coulson then informed Stark that he was leaving to head to New Mexico to investigate a mysterious object that had been found there.
With the aid of his A.I. J.A.R.V.I.S., Stark put his experiment into action, putting together a large laser in the centre of his workshop in his Mansion. Stark pushed the laser into position, struggling to hold it in place as it put through the walls while he aimed it at it's target. As the laser hit the newly designed Arc Reactor he had made, it finally synthesized the new element. As Stark picked up his creation and studied it, J.A.R.V.I.S. confirmed that the new element would indeed be a suitable replacement for Palladium and would be able to keep him alive while powering his Iron Man suits for the foreseeable future, Stark then continued work on the Reactor and his next suit.
Afterwards while Stark continued his work on his new suit, he received a call which turned out to come from Ivan Vanko, despite having last been heard from dying in a prison explosion, revealing he was still alive and still set on revenge. While Stark attempted to trace the call and locate the dangerous terrorist, Vanko promised that he would soon have his revenge for what Howard Stark had done to his father Anton Vanko before hanging up the call.
As Vanko had warned that he had taken Stark's scientific advice and upgraded his Whiplash Armour to be ready for their next battle, Stark donned the Iron Man Mark VI armor. Despite J.A.R.V.I.S.' objections, Stark wore his new Arc Reactor and commented on how it felt putting it on for the first time, noting he got a distinct taste of both coconut and metal before he suited up and flew off to the Stark Expo to then confront Vanko and stop his evil plans of revenge.
At the Stark Expo, Iron Man arrived to confront Justin Hammer, who was busy unveiling his Hammer Drones, captained by James Rhodes in a heavily weaponized armor known as the War Machine Armor: Mark I. While trying to keep the audience calm, Iron Man demanded to know where Ivan Vanko was, although Hammer denied all knowledge of him and tried to play off the incident to the audience.
However Vanko seized control of both the drones and Rhodes' armor, setting them to attack Iron Man, who then flew across the Expo in his desperate attempt to lose his attackers and cause them all to crash, while ordering J.A.R.V.I.S. to regain control of War Machine. During the battle, Iron Man did all he could to save the hundreds of people fleeing during the chaos, managing to save one young boy who was mistaken for him by a drone due to wearing an Iron Man mask.
Quickly running out of options as War Machine continued to fire upon him using Hammer Industries weapons, Iron Man did all he could to take out the drones, flying them away from the civilians before leading them straight into the main globe in the centre. Using the Iron Man Armor: Mark VI's superior manoeuvring abilities, Iron Man managed to escape and caused the bulkier Hammer Drones to crash into the globe and explode all together in a massive fireball.
However before Iron Man could relax, he was knocked out of the sky and into an Oracle Corporation dome by War Machine, who was still being controlled by Vanko. Iron Man tried desperately to block War Machine's attacks, holding his mini gun at bay until Black Widow had successfully managed to override all of Vanko's programming, having broken into the Hammer Industries Headquarters, with a little help from Happy Hogan, despite failing to arrest Vanko.
Showdown with Whiplash
- "You have a big gun, you are not the big gun."
"Tony don't be jealous."
"No, it's subtle all the bells and whistles."
"Yeah it's called being a badass."
- ―Iron Man and War Machine
Iron Man knocked War Machine back before Black Widow confirmed that he was safe at last and in control of his own armour, before also complimenting Stark on his new element which had now stopped his Palladium poisoning, causing Pepper Potts to confront Stark for not telling her he was dying. While Potts had Justin Hammer arrested, Stark helped Rhodes back onto his feet.
Knowing that the last remaining Hammer Drones would be coming to their location, both Iron Man and War Machine set out a plan to battle them, however this only led to an argument between the friends over who should take the better position in the area, with both of them arguing that they had the superior armour and skills. But before they could make up their minds, the Drones arrived and surrounded Iron Man and War Machine, with nowhere to escape to, the pair donned their own helmets and prepared for battle, firing their weapons at the attacking Drones which vastly outnumbered them.
As the battle then commenced, Iron Man and War Machine found that although they could easily defeat each Drone, the numbers began to overwhelm them. While War Machine used his impressive weaponry provided by Hammer Industries to destroy the attackers, Iron Man used his top of the range armour to fight back and destroy multiple targets at once, eventually using his laser attack to slice all of the remaining Drones in half and finally win the fight.
Eliminating the other drones, Iron Man and War Machine were then informed by Black Widow that they had a new enemy coming in. This was revealed to be Whiplash in his new, more powerful suit of armor. Attempting to kill Whiplash before the fight could even begin, War Machine armed the Ex-Wife Missile, only for it to fail and not even dent the armour, with Iron Man noting that it was clearly a Hammer Industries weapon due to it being useless in battle.
Iron Man then engaged in a fierce battle with Whiplash, with himself and War Machine throwing all they had at defeating him or maybe damaging his armour enough to cause him to surrender. However they both sound found that not only was Whiplash's armour to strong, but he had improved whips to the point they were more dangerous than ever before and they both soon found themselves overpowered by Vanko's improved technology as well as weapons.
Whiplash soon managed to gain the upper hand in the battle when he succeeded in wrapping his electrified whips around Iron Man and War Machine's throats and slowly tightening them, hoping to break their necks. With no other choice, Iron Man called on War Machine to use the technic they discovered during the Duel at Tony Stark's Mansion and fired their own repulsor rays at each other, triggering an explosion beside Vanko and knocked them all back.
Recovering from the shockwave, Iron Man and War Machine found Ivan Vanko lying on the battlefield, with not only his Whiplash Armour but his own body damaged beyond repair. Too injured to continue the fight, Vanko claimed that Stark had in fact lost this fight before he ignited his and his drones' self-destruct bombs, including one in his own armour. Knowing that these Drones were littered across Stark Expo, Iron Man flew to rescue anybody remaining there.
Iron Man raced to save Pepper Potts amid the series of explosions, pulling her away just in time. Seeing the chaos that Stark brought with him, Potts quit her position as CEO of Stark Industries, but Stark only teased her about the concept of leaving him before she and Stark kissed each other. Rhodes revealed he was there before he departed with the Mark II armor without serious objection from Stark, leaving them where Stark refused to accept her resignation.
Not a Suitable Candidate
At a debriefing, while showing news footage of another superhuman event, Nick Fury informed Stark that while Iron Man was a suitable candidate for the "Avengers Initiative", Stark himself was not. S.H.I.E.L.D. wanted Stark as a consultant, but Stark said that Fury could not afford his help.
Stark thought about the position for a moment and he agreed on the condition that Senator Stern present himself and James Rhodes with their medals for bravery in defeating Whiplash and Justin Hammer. A couple of hours later in exchange, Stark got his wish and took the job as consultant. He took great pleasure in Senator Stern's annoyance at being forced to give him a new medal, smiling for the pictures and offering a peace sign to the crowd of onlookers.
- "Ahh... the smell of stale beer... and defeat. You know, I hate to say 'I told you so,' but that Super-Soldier project WAS put on ice for a reason. I've always felt that hardware was much more reliable."
- ―Tony Stark to Thaddeus Ross
Keeping with his job as consultant for S.H.I.E.L.D., Stark was tasked with preventing General Thaddeus Ross from releasing Emil Blonsky onto the Avengers Initiative, ordered by the World Security Council. Stark arrived at a bar where he found a drunken Ross. The two exchanged insults before Stark told him that a team was being made. Stark annoyed Ross so much that the latter tried to have him removed from the bar, which Stark bought and arranged to be demolished later on. The task was then completed with Ross refusing to release Blonsky from his custody.
Making the New War Machine Armor
Some time later, Stark retrieved the War Machine armor and stripped it of the Hammer Industries weapons and turned it back into the Mark II. When James Rhodes arrived, Stark informed him he would never wear that armor again because he made him a new one with better technology and weaponry.
- "Mr. Stark, we need to talk."
"You have reached the life model decoy of Tony Stark. Please leave a message."
"This is urgent."
"Then leave it urgently."
- ―Phil Coulson and Tony Stark
After Loki infiltrated the Joint Dark Energy Mission Facility and stole the Tesseract, Nick Fury decided it was time to re-establish the Avengers Initiative. Agent Phil Coulson traveled to the newly built Stark Tower where Stark and Pepper Potts were celebrating the successful creation of a new, clean energy source. Stark was informed of Coulson's presence at Stark Tower by J.A.R.V.I.S. to which he informed him that he had "reached the Life Model Decoy of Tony Stark" and refused to see him. Coulson entered the building anyway and informed Stark that the Initiative was now active, and they needed him to come in, handing Stark holographic screens with information about Captain America, Thor, Bruce Banner and Loki.
- "You don't know what you're dealing with."
"Shakespeare in the park. Doth Mother know you weareth her drapes?"
- ―Thor and Iron Man
Stark suited up in his Mark VI armor and traveled to Stuttgart, Germany where he found his old acquaintance, Natasha Romanoff in a Quinjet overlooking the newly unfrozen Captain America in the middle of a battle with the hostile god, Loki.
Stark jetted right in and blasted Loki with his repulsors and stood tall next to Captain America, forcing Loki to surrender. Escorting Loki onto the Quinjet, the team headed back to S.H.I.E.L.D.'s Helicarrier. Stark commented on Rogers' fighting skills and subtly mocked him. The Quinjet was then surrounded by a storm and attacked by Thor, who broke in and grabbed Loki before he flew away. Stark immediately pursued them.
While Thor threatened Loki atop a mountain, Stark blasted straight into him, hurling him onto the forest floor. Stark refused to let Thor get close to Loki, and the two began to battle.
During the fight, Thor summoned lightning to his hammer, Mjølnir, and electrocuted Stark, only for J.A.R.V.I.S. to inform him that his suit was at 400% capacity, allowing him to blast Thor off his feet. The armor took a beating during the battle as Thor easily began to crush one of the gauntlets with his bare hands. The fight was broken up by Captain America who, after matching Mjølnir with his shield, managed to stop Thor.
Traveling in the Helicarrier
- "It's good to meet you, Doctor Banner. Your work on anti-electron collisions is unparalleled. And I'm a huge fan of how you lose control and turn into an enormous green rage monster."
- ―Iron Man
They took Loki back to the Helicarrier where Stark met Bruce Banner and discussed the Tesseract but not before Stark planted a hacking device and allowed J.A.R.V.I.S. to begin searching S.H.I.E.L.D.'s database to find out its secrets. Stark talked with Banner, telling him that he should see the Hulk's existence as a gift, rather than a curse. He also tried once to annoy Banner by poking him with a prod, only to get no response other than pain. Stark wondered if Banner used jazz or marijuana to keep his cool, to which Steve Rogers found less than funny.
He then explained to Rogers that he was working on the bigger mystery - why call them in now, not earlier? Nick Fury was "the" spy, whose secrets would have their own secrets; if he didn't bring Stark in on the Tesseract energy project, that can only mean S.H.I.E.L.D. is working on something other than clean energy. Captain America left, unsure whether Stark was right or not.
- "Cap, hit the lever."
"I need a minute here!"
- ―Captain America and Iron Man
Stark and Bruce Banner learned that S.H.I.E.L.D. was trying to harness the Tesseract's powers to create weapons of mass destruction and Captain America found out that S.H.I.E.L.D. was using HYDRA technology to learn how to harness it. During a huge argument between Nick Fury, Natasha Romanoff, Rogers, Banner and Thor, Loki's troops led by a brainwashed Clint Barton caused an explosion on the Helicarrier in order to free Loki. Stark suited up as Iron Man and began to fix the ship from the outside with the aid of Rogers.
Upon fixing the ship and fighting off some of Loki's troops, the duo learned that Banner had transformed into Hulk and escaped from the ship, as well as Thor being ejected from the Helicarrier by Loki who escaped and murdered Agent Phil Coulson. Nick Fury informed the two that the Avengers Initiative was started so that the isolated individuals could become something more and that Coulson died still believing this.
Visiting the site of Coulson's murder, Stark began talking with Rogers about how Loki made it personal to draw them in. While rambling on about the theatrics that Loki has pulled off, Stark grew closer to finding out where the God of Mischief would set off the portal to bring the alien army forth. Eventually, he remembered something that he built out of his own ego - Stark Tower - which would be a perfect power source to open the portal. Stark left the Helicarrier with Captain America, Black Widow, and Hawkeye - now freed of Loki's mind control.
- "Takes us a while to get any traction, I'll give you that one. But, let's do a head count here: Your brother, the demigod; a super soldier, a living legend who kind of lives up to the legend; a man with breath-taking anger management issues; a couple of master assassins, and you, big fella, you've managed to piss off every single one of them."
- ―Tony Stark to Loki
Stark, Steve Rogers, Natasha Romanoff and Clint Barton, who had successfully freed himself from Loki's mind control, stole a Quinjet and traveled to Stark Tower where Stark found Loki had installed a device powered by the Tesseract that was being controlled by Professor Erik Selvig.
Stark ordered J.A.R.V.I.S. to cut the power in the tower, only learn the portal device was already self-sustaining. He arrived before the rest of the Avengers, needing to replace his damaged armor with the new Mark VII suit. Falling to convince Dr. Selvig to shut down the device, Stark blasted it; however the barrier around the device bounced the blast back, knocking out Selvig. Loki watched in amusement from the balcony of Stark's penthouse.
Seeing that there was nothing else he could do to stop the invasion, Stark landed and had the Mark VI removed; he threatened Loki with the promise that the Avengers would take him out no matter how long it took them, to buy time to pit on two metal bracelets. However, when it seemed Loki would brainwash him next, it turned out the Arc Reactor was blocking the scepter from Tony's heart. Making a performance joke, Stark was thrown out of the window by Loki, calling for the Mark VII; it was rocket-propelled to him, and formed the suit around him right before he could hit the ground. Stark flew back up to Loki and blasted him backwards in the name of Agent Coulson. Stark was however confronted by Loki's device which opened a portal into space where Loki's army of Chitauri flew into New York City and began their war against Earth.
Stark fought off the Chitauri and tried to call James Rhodes, who told Stark that he was too busy fighting soldiers working for the Ten Rings, but would come to help as soon as possible. Stark was joined by his teammates as they begin to battle the alien menace. Stark began to chase after a Leviathan, a giant alien serpent and the warship to dozens of Chitauri. When he was notified of Banner's arrival on the field, Stark led the serpent towards him so that Banner would transform into Hulk and defeat it. Stark landed on the ground alongside his fellow heroes, Captain America, Thor, Hulk, Hawkeye and Black Widow. The team were then confronted by hundreds of Chitauri who flew in through the portal as well as several more Leviathans. Rogers gave out orders and instructed Stark to take to the skies and take out more Chitauri. Stark even took out a Leviathan by flying head-first into its mouth and launching missiles from the inside.
Stark asked Thor if he had ever seen Game of Thrones, saying he reminded him of it. Thor asked him how he can joke around during a war, but was then eaten by a Leviathan. Out of rage, Thor used Mjølnir to get out of the Leviathan.
After a long battle, the team were still outnumbered and learned that Natasha had found a way to close the portal. Stark hindered this as Fury has instructed him that the World Security Council had sent a missile to blow up Manhattan. Stark intercepted the missile and flew it up through the portal and blew up the Chitauri Command Center, losing power in the process and falling unconscious back through the portal just before it closed. As Stark fell back to earth, he was caught by Hulk who landed with him back on the ground.
Rogers and Thor ran over to Stark who appeared to be dead, only for Hulk to scream in his face, waking him up. The team reformed and made sure that Loki surrendered, taking him into S.H.I.E.L.D. custody.
A few hours later, Stark and the rest of the Avengers went to the Shawarma Palace where they ate silently. They were soon interrupted by War Machine, who arrived too late to aid in the battle.
The next day, the Avengers met in Central Park and made sure Loki was taken back to Asgard by Thor along with the Tesseract. The team then disbanded and went their separate ways; with Banner, Stark drove away in his Acura 2012 Stark Industries Super Car. Stark was later with Pepper Potts in Stark Tower ready to rebuild after the damage that was done.
After New York
The Iron Legion
After the battle, Stark invited James Rhodes to his workshop in Malibu. Seeing that not even the combined powers of Iron Man and War Machine would be enough to protect the Earth from the next threat from the Nine Realms, Stark showed Rhodes several Iron Man armors that could be remotely controlled. He called them the "Iron Legion".
- "You just saw what I can do. But we live in a cynical world. You might think I got lucky. So in the next few days, I'll hold another demonstration. After that, the Melter technology goes on sale to the highest bidder. If you have what it takes to be a buyer, you'll hear from me. If you don't, you might want to consider if you are really as important as you think you are... or if your just yesterday's news like Stark."
- ―The Melter to reporters after defeating Iron Man
Sometime shortly after the Battle of New York, Stark was presenting how he could now charge his armor from solar energy at Stark Tower, when he was suddenly attacked by a villain called the Melter. The Melter quickly defeated Iron Man and announced he was going to sell his designs in a few days.
Two days later, Melter attacked again and defeated War Machine. This made Stark and Rhodey unite to confront Melter together and they defeated him and put him in the custody of the United States Armed Forces.
- "And I guess 72 hours is a long time between siestas. Didn't think it could get any worse, then I had to go and turn on the TV. That's when he happened."
- ―Tony Stark
Six months after the Battle of New York; Stark tested the Mark XLII, which was built so that he could summon various pieces of the armor when needed. Right after testing the new armor, Sark went to go watch television, only to see that the Mandarin had made another attack against the United States. Meanwhile, James Rhodes had his suit repainted by the American government who had now renamed him Iron Patriot.
Stark met with Rhodes at a bar and diner where he mocked the Iron Patriot name, being told that it tested well with focus groups; the government felt that "War Machine" was too violent a name, which would send the wrong message to children. Two kids asked him to sign a drawn picture of him diverting the nuclear missile to the portal. The picture depicted Stark's near-death experience in the Battle of New York which lead him to have an anxiety attack. He immediately put on his suit to test for any faults in his physiology, only to be told nothing was wrong. Stark then left to return home and resume work on his suits. As Christmas was nearing, Stark decided to show Pepper Potts his love for her by buying a large stuffed bunny as her gift. Unfortunately, it was too big to fit through the door, so he would need to have a wall taken down to get it inside.
Decided to test his new remote-control unit, Stark had his Mark XLII armor sit on the sofa and wait for Pepper to come home. Once Pepper was home, Stark lied that he was breaking in the armor. His ruse fell apart when she attempted to open the armor to kiss him; she went down to Stark's workshop for a crowbar, only to find him. Stark managed to quell Pepper's anger by explaining that he's been feeling like an amateur in the big leagues since New York; he's just a man in a suit against gods, aliens and portals to other worlds. He then admits that probably the only reason he has snapped is because she moved in with him, for which he is greatly thankful.
However, he's also been plagued by nightmares about these hostile forces attacking what he loves most - her. Because of this, he spends most of his time, even when she's asleep, building more and more Iron Men to help protect her. Pepper comforts him, understanding why he's been so distant from her. She then leaves to wash up for bed; however, Pepper turns around and offers to have sex in the shower to cheer him up. Stark agreed, hoping not only to lighten his mood, but try closing the gap forming between them.
Later that night, Stark attempted to have a good night's sleep, but had visions of himself going against the Chitauri, causing him to go into distress. Pepper tried to wake him until his armor appeared, coming to Tony's aid, seeing Pepper as a threat. Stark awoke and deactivated the armor, apologizing to a terrified Pepper who left him alone in bed.
Threatening the Mandarin
- "My name is Tony Stark and I'm not afraid of you. I know you're a coward so I've decided that you just died, pal. I'm going to come and get the body. There's no politics here; it's just good old-fashioned revenge. There's no Pentagon, it's just you and me."
- ―Tony Stark message to the Mandarin
Meanwhile, a string of bombings by the terrorist known as the Mandarin left intelligence agencies bewildered at the lack of forensic evidence. Stark's former bodyguard, now head of security, Happy Hogan was caught in on such blast. Stark visited him at the hospital, ensuring that the nurses kept Happy's favorite program on TV and to make sure they all wore ID tags as Happy was a stickler for those. Mobbed by the press once he left, Stark was asked if he would kill the Mandarin. He then issued a public threat to the Mandarin, giving away his address so they can face off. This resulted in numerous news choppers flying around Stark's home, waiting to catch Iron Man Vs the Mandarin on film.
The next day, Stark ended up fighting with Potts' over leaving the house for their safety, since he was dumb enough to give his address; she began packing regardless of his choice. Stark spent his time in the workshop, creating a database on the Mandarin and recreated the explosion that left Happy in a coma. Viewing the holograph of Happy, Stark found he was pointing at a dogtag near the center of the explosion; using this as a clue, he looked for records of similar explosions of 3000 degrees. Ruling out the Mandarin attacks, Stark found one in Rose Hill, Tennessee.
To Stark's surprise, the doorbell rang; J.A.R.V.I.S. informed him that there was only so much he could do since Stark had given the press his address. Donning the Mark XLII, Stark confronted his visitor, only to find Maya Hansen instead of the Mandarin. He initially mistook her comments about needing to get him alone as an offer for sex; he turned her down, explaining that he's happily in a committed relationship with Pepper. At that moment, Pepper dropped luggage from the second floor. Stark quickly asked Maya if their one-night stand resulted in a child; after teasing him, she explained that this wasn't the case. Pepper and Maya met, while Stark continued arguing about staying to confront the Mandarin.
However, Maya turned their attention to the television, which showed a missile heading right a the house. It landed, knocking them away. Stark signaled his armor onto Potts, protecting her. Once Pepper had gotten Maya to safety, Stark summoned the armor back to himself, fending off the several helicopters surrounding him. After being outgunned, Stark was pulled into the ocean while his home demolished over him, barely escaping. He lost consciousness from the strain and left J.A.R.V.I.S.in charge of the suit.
Back to Basics
- "Pepper, it's me. I've got a lot of apologies to make and not a lot of time. So first off, I'm so sorry I put you in harm's way. That was selfish and stupid and it won't happen again."
- ―Tony Stark to Pepper Potts
Stark found himself in Rose Hill, Tennessee after J.A.R.V.I.S. followed his initial flight plan to find the Mandarin. Unfortunately, since the Mark XLII was still a prototype, it lacked a link to the Arc Reactor to sustain its power; this left Stark in the cold, with nothing but his genius to help him now. Lacking the power to return to California, the world at large believed him to be dead. Stark sent a private call, hoping for Potts to hear. Apologizing for putting her in harm's way, Stark stated he could not return home.
Stark broke into a work-shop belonging to 10-year old Harley Keener (and his family). He got along well with Harley, who reminded Stark of a younger version of himself - a child genius; Harley had recommended using retro-reflection panels to create a stealth armor and also disliked that a hero with a cool name like War Machine was given the lamer moniker of Iron Patriot. Stark gave Harley a flash grenade from his suit, recognizing the signs of a kid who has been bullied.
Stark enlisted Harley's help in finding the truth behind the terrorist bombings. Lead to the site, Stark realized something was amiss as there was no ash-imprint of the soldier who died. However, when Harley started asking him about New York and the Avengers, Stark started having another panic attack. At this point, Stark admitted that he should have been on medication to deal with his post-tramatic stress.
Seeking information, Stark set up a meeting with the mother of recently killed Extremis-infected soldier Chad Davis. Once being handed valuable information regarding her son's death, Stark was attacked by Ellen Brandt and Eric Savin. Tony's fight with Brandt lead into a restaurant; he bought himself time to set up a bomb by igniting some fuel to block Brandt's way to the kitchen. Stark put Davis' dogtag in the microwave and exposed some gas, fleeing outside and hiding behind an ice machine. An explosion then erupted, sending Brandt into the power lines, killing her. Savin held Harley Keener hostage, but Stark reminded the kid about his flash grenade; this allowed Stark to blast Savin unconscious with a spare repulser. Stealing Savin's keys, Stark commandeered his car, taking off with the file from Mrs. Davis.
Stark befriended Gary, a cameraman helping broadcast a pageant, using their satellite connection to hack into A.I.M., which the file reported was responsible for Chad Davis' death. Seeing footage of the Extremis experiments, Stark realized that all the explosions were accidents that came from patients' bodies not being able to accept the drug. Therefore, the Mandarin was not actually planning out the explosions in advance, he was just claiming to have been behind the accidents, passing them off as intentional terrorism.
- "My name is Trevor, Trevor Slattery."
"What are you? What're you a decoy? You're a double, right?"
"What? Like an understudy? No, absolutely not."
- ―Trevor Slattery and Tony Stark
With Harley's assistance, Stark tracked down the Mandarin's location in Miami - as the suit was recharging, Harley suggested that Stark build his own gadgets if he had to defend himself. Infiltrating the Mandarin's home, Stark discovered that the Mandarin was not really a terrorist, rather a drunken British actor named Trevor Slattery employed by Aldrich Killian to act as a threat to America, covering up Killian's test-subjects/Extremis program. Stark was however knocked unconscious by Savin who took Stark to Killian.
Being held in captivity, he learned Maya Hansen was working for Killian; she had used the formula he had written down in a drunken daze after their night together to better stabilize Extremis. Stark laughed at her for following a drunken equation from him for all these years, chiding her for "losing her soul"; he gets to wake up to Pepper, a woman who still had a sense of right and wrong. Killian arrived and explained the reasons behind A.I.M. and how he was grateful to Stark for teaching him that he needed to rule the chaos from behind the scenes. Stark then discovered that Killian had captured Pepper Potts and was currently infecting her with Extremis; with Pepper's life in danger of ending up like the failures, Stark would be forced to help improve Extremis for her sake. When Maya Hansen tried to help him, Stark witnessed Killian casually murder her.
Stark was left guarded by two henchmen, once he learned the correct time, Stark worked out that the suit would be charged by now and offered the henchmen a chance to escape, believing that it would arrive in seconds, however this led to an awkward period of Stark awaiting his suit which took longer than he expected to arrive. The reason being that the doors to the barn they were being kept in were chained shut.
Summoning his Mark XLII all the way from Harley's House, Stark escaped captivity and defeated several guards, despite only getting a hand and leg part of the suit for the duration of the fight. Harley freed the rest by destroying the lock with a powdery substance, knowing that Stark was in need of his armor. Once the guards were all knocked out, the rest of the suit arrived and Stark made his way through the facility. He greeted J.A.R.V.I.S., while seeing the Iron Patriot Armor fly off.
- "Easy. See? Eleven more to go."
- ―Tony Stark
Stark reunited with Rhodes, who revealed that Savin had taken control of the Iron Patriot Armor, intending to launch an attack on President Matthew Ellis aboard Air Force One. Remotely controlling his armor, Stark sent it aboard the plane and killed Savin by blasting a hole through his chest. The armor then exited the plane and saved the surviving passengers and crew, but was unable to rescue Ellis from Killian, who had already removed him from the plane in the Iron Patriot armor.
- "It's Christmas. Take 'em to church."
- ―Tony Stark to J.A.R.V.I.S.
Stark and Rhodes traced Killian to an impounded oil tanker called the Norco where he intended to kill Ellis on live television. Sneaking in, they were attacked by several Extremis Soldiers. Stark fired his gun at the soldiers, but was unable to stop them. Rhodey proved himself to be the superior marksman which annoyed Stark. Outnumbered, Stark summoned the Iron Legion to their aid (controlled by J.A.R.V.I.S.) except the Mark XLII, which was running late after trying to save the president in Air Force One. Stark wore the Mark XXXIII suit and flew into battle.
Stark found Pepper under wreckage when Aldrich Killian unexpectedly attacked him and began burning through his suit, forcing Stark to cut off Killian's arm and eject from the suit before he summoned another. Coming to Pepper's aid once again, Stark was unable to reach her and watched as she fell into a pit of fire to a certain death. Aldrich Killian then appeared and mocked Stark, Stark then engaged in a fight with Killian.
As Killian proved his Extremis abilities could cut through the armor with relative ease, Stark again exited his suit to avoid defeat and then donning another which suffered the same fate. Standing over a platform, Stark, now armor-less due to his other suits being preoccupied with Tony's command to destroy Killian's Extremis soldiers, awaited the Mark XLII but was deflated when it simply crashed and disassembled once again. While Killian spoke of Stark not deserving Potts and that he was close to making her perfect, Stark said he was right but that she already was perfect and sent the Mark XLII onto Killian, trapping him. Stark then ordered J.A.R.V.I.S. to let it self-destruct while he escaped.
Jumping into another suit, Stark escaped the explosion and crashed to the ground. Suddenly, Aldrich emerged from the flames with most of his tissue layers destroyed seemingly beyond Extremis's ability of reconstruction and still intent on Tony's death. Stark was powerless and at the mercy of Killian while Killian began to call himself the real Mandarin, saying that he was from the start. During this proclamation, Pepper, still alive due to the Extremis in her system completing its transition in her body, struck Killian to the ground with a large metal pipe. Stark was left almost speechless and in amazement at her return.
An Iron Man suit flew downward in an attack position, prompting Stark to try and tell Jarvis to disengage the suit, only to find that the earpiece which he used to take to and command Jarvis several feet away from him on the ground. Pepper then dodged a repulsor blast from the suit, which then flew back into an attack position. Pepper then ran at Stark, causing Stark to think that she was mad at him, though she actually ran past him and jumped off a beam to impale her arm into the suit's chest and removing and donning one of the suits arms. Stark watched as Pepper sent an attacking Killian flying backwards into the air with a swing of her now armored arm and removed an explosive missile and threw it into Killian and blew it up with a repulsor blast, finishing him off.
Stark apologized to Pepper and promised to find a cure for her. Tony, seeing Pepper worried about their future, ordered J.A.R.V.I.S. to destroy all his remaining armors in Operation: Clean Slate Protocol. Surrounded by the subtle, firework-like explosions in the sky, the two embraced.
A Step Further
Stark was able to use his vast resources to cure Potts of the Extremis, removing her powers as he promised; now there was no worry about her suffering an explosive end. Two days later, Stark underwent surgery from Doctor Wu to have the shrapnel removed from his heart. He used the pieces of shrapnel to make a necklace, which he gave to Potts; ironically, this would be "a gift from the heart."
He went back to the wreckage of his mansion that same day, and threw his Arc Reactor into the ocean, vowing that no matter what, he was Iron Man even without the Arc Reactor and his suits. He also took the remains of his Dum-E robot to repair it. After this, Stark retired from the hero "business" for at least a year, but continued to work as a consultant for S.H.I.E.L.D. and run Stark Industries.
Since his house was destroyed, Stark now lived in Stark Tower, which he redesigned and renamed Avengers Tower. He soon began helping S.H.I.E.L.D. by making repulsor technology for their three new Helicarriers, to avoid the same issue that happened during the Attack on the Helicarrier.
Therapy Session with Doctor Banner
- "Where did I lose you?"
"Elevator in Switzerland."
"So you heard none of it?"
- ―Tony Stark and Bruce Banner
Later, after his battle with Aldrich Killian, Stark retold the story to Bruce Banner in the Avengers Tower. Banner had fallen asleep during the tale, telling his friend that he was not that kind of doctor. Stark ignored this comment and began telling more stories of his life, much to the dismay of Banner, who went to sleep again.
Tony Stark was listed as a potential target of Project Insight by HYDRA. Luckily, Captain America was able to stop HYDRA in time to save all of HYDRA's intended victims. After the defeat of Project Insight and the fall of S.H.I.E.L.D., Stark hired former S.H.I.E.L.D second-in-command Maria Hill, utilizing his army of lawyers to protect Hill from the numerous parties that would see her incarcerated, in order to help him fill the void left by S.H.I.E.L.D.'s absence by privatizing global security.
With the rising threat of HYDRA, the Avengers were officially reassembled, with Stark's financial backing. Using the former Stark Tower, now renamed Avengers Tower, as their headquarters, they embarked on several missions to ruin HYDRA's plans for world domination.
Eventually, Black Widow discovered an army of HYDRA soldier with chitauri technology, lead by Doctor Jensen, in Port Sudan. She had J.A.R.V.I.S. inform the other Avengers. Tony Stark, who is discussing something with Pepper Potts at Stark Industries, is also informed of this by Maria Hill.
A HYDRA soldier notices there is still an Avenger in the Quinjet and orders it to be fired at, which makes Banner turn into Hulk. The HYDRA soldiers begin to retreat, apart from Doctor Jensen who arms herself with a weapon and then attacks several of the Avengers. However, Clint Barton fires an explosive arrow at Doctor Jensen's weapon and she falls over, unable to believe her defeat.
- "Good talk."
"No it wasn't."
- ―Tony Stark and a HYDRA Soldier
Stark and the other Avengers attacked Baron Wolfgang von Strucker's research base. While the other Avengers fought the soldiers on the ground, Stark worked on destroying the base's shields to allow the team access. When Stark swore during the mission, Steve Rogers told him to watch his language, much to Stark's amusement.
Stark soon managed to disable the shields and entered the base; once inside he killed Doctor List before making his way through the hallways. Stark located inside the base a giant Leviathan, which HYDRA had stolen after the Battle of New York, and the Scepter. While Stark was looking at the Scepter, Wanda Maximoff sneaked up behind him and caused him to have a vision of the future; in the vision, Stark saw the other Avengers lying dead after a mysterious battle. Shaken by what he had seen, Maximoff allowed Stark to retrieve the Sceptre, knowing its power would ultimately cause his downfall.
Creation of Ultron
- "Peace in our time. Imagine that."
- ―Tony Stark to Bruce Banner
Continuing his mindset toward protecting humanity while realizing the void that the downfall of S.H.I.E.L.D. created, Tony Stark created an intelligence with the mandate to ensure global peace at any cost. The intelligence, Ultron, in turn took control on the Ultron Sentries to defend humanity as a sort of makeshift army. At a party celebrating the launch of Ultron, Stark and the Avengers decided to try to lift Mjølnir; Stark initially tried to lift it on his own, when that failed he called for James Rhodes' help to no avail. Upon his defeat, Stark looked for fingerprint recognition software in Thor's hammer. Ultron Sentries then attacked the party.
After a brief battle, the lead Ultron robot was destroyed, although it claimed it would attack again. With the team gathered together, Stark began examining the robot to understand what caused it. He learned that it had destroyed J.A.R.V.I.S.' mainframe in a rage. Thor stormed in and grabbed Stark by the throat, accusing him of bringing destruction to the earth, Stark defended himself, however, claiming that he was coming up with a solution to end a war that would destroy the Earth. The team later learned that Ultron had built himself a new body and had killed Wolfgang von Strucker and was planning on stealing Vibranium from Ulysses Klaue.
- "Don't compare me with Stark! It's a thing with me. Stark is... he's a sickness!!"
"Oh junior, you're gonna break your old man's heart."
- ―Ultron and Tony Stark
Stark led the team to South Africa where they found Ultron, along with Pietro and Wanda Maximoff, taking the Vibranium. They engaged in a fierce battle, with Stark taking on Ultron alone while the rest of the team fought the Ultron Sentries and the Maximoff twins. Eventually, Stark brought down Ultron and destroyed his body. Not long afterwards, however, he learned that the team had been mentally taken down by Wanda Maximoff, who had proceeded to cause Bruce Banner to transform into Hulk in the middle of South Africa and started to destroy everything he could.
- "Go to sleep, go to sleep, go to sleep..."
- ―Tony Stark to Hulk
Stark called for his Mark XLIV armor; he tried to contain Hulk in an enforced metal cage, but when this failed, the two began to fight. When Hulk damaged the armor, Stark called for extra parts and used its many capabilities to try to knock Hulk down or fly him from the city. Eventually, he resorted to dropping him through a building still going through construction; this seemingly calmed Hulk enough that Stark could knock him out with a final massive punch.
The Barton Home
- "Isn't that the "why we fight," so we can end the fight, so we get to go home?!"
- ―Tony Stark to Steve Rogers
After the battle was over, the Avengers were on the Quinjet. Maria Hill told Stark and Clint Barton that there were negative criticisms against the Avengers' actions in South Africa and also voices that wanted Banner's arrest. Hill also suggested that they should go somewhere where the rest of the team could relax from their dreams until they could find Ultron. Barton said to Stark he should get some sleep because they would land in a few hours. Stark asked him where and Barton responded to "a safehouse".
They landed in a countryside and entered into a small house. The team was surprised to learn that it was Barton's family home and that he has a wife and three children. Barton explained that the reason the team were unaware of his family was due to Nick Fury helping him to have this second peaceful life outside S.H.I.E.L.D. where his family could be safe.
Stark and Steve Rogers went outside and chopped wood together. They discussed how Wanda Maximoff had been able to use her powers to pull the team apart. When the conversation moved to how Stark and Banner inadvertently created Ultron, they began to argue and debate whether or not Stark should have ever experimented on the Scepter. Stark explained his action by using the argument that the true reason they fight is only to end the fight and go home with Ultron being an immortal successor to the Avengers. Laura Barton then asked Stark if he could help to fix their tractor. As Stark examined the tractor, Nick Fury revealed himself; Stark realized that Maria Hill called him. Fury tried to convince Stark that Wanda Maximoff had just tricked him, but Stark said that the vision he had seen where all of his friends are dead would be the future, if Stark would not do everything he could to save them and humanity.
Fury then showed himself to the rest of the team and started to discuss their next move. Fury said that his contact people in "NEXUS" in Oslo had informed him that Ultron had tried to get nuclear codes but someone changed the codes all the time. Bruce Banner then realized that Ultron wanted always to improved his body, so he needed Helen Cho and her Cradle device to create his ultimate body. Stark then made it clear to Rogers that if Ultron succeeded in uploading himself to the body, he might be stronger than any of them. Fury then told them that he will take Banner to the Avengers Tower and said to Stark that he needed Hill for "something dramatic".
Hacking the NEXUS
As Steve Rogers, Natasha Romanoff and Clint Barton flew to Seoul to retrieve the synthetic body, Stark was in the NEXUS base searching for the person who prevented Ultron from obtaining launch codes for nuclear missiles. As this master hacker was blocking those attempting to access nuclear codes, Stark did so himself to draw in this unknown ally against Ultron. In doing so, Stark was shocked to find out it was J.A.R.V.I.S., who erased his memory and scattered himself across the Internet to block Ultron. It turned out that Ultron was afraid of J.A.R.V.I.S. and of what he could do, so J.A.R.V.I.S. went underground and prevent from Ultron to get the codes. Restoring J.A.R.V.I.S.'s memory, Stark sent his programming back to Avengers Tower.
Birth of the Vision
Stark went back to the Avengers Tower where Bruce Banner and Barton waited for him. Barton was with the Cradle with the synthetic body inside it. Barton informed Stark that Ultron had kidnapped Romanoff, so Barton began to search for her. Stark then told Banner everything he discovered and he asked for his help him upload J.A.R.V.I.S. to the synthetic body. Banner was against it, finding the situation to be a time-loop they were stuck in; however, Stark was able to convince him that the create the being Ultron was meant to be by giving it J.A.R.V.I.S. as a core persona, and thus prevent megalomania.
As the two were almost finished, Rogers with Wanda and Pietro Maximoff came and ordered him to shut it down. After Stark and Banner refused, the two and Barton fight against the three, but suddenly Thor came in and revived the synthetic body with his lightning. The living body jumped out and briefly attacked Thor until he looked out over the city; the living body apologized and called itself the Vision and claimed to wish to assist them to fight Ultron. Thor explained that he had seen the Vision in his vision and the Mind Stone, one of the six Infinity Stones, that is in the Vision's forehead. At first, the team did not trust him, but as proof of his honor, Vision handed Thor Mjølnir. A shocked Stark was congratulated by Thor for creating a worthy ally.
- "Come to confess your sins?"
"I don't know, how much time you got?"
"More than you."
- ―Ultron and Iron Man
The Avengers tracked Ultron down in Sokovia, where Natasha Romanoff was held. Before leaving, Stark a new AI, F.R.I.D.A.Y., into his newest suit. The team flew there with Wanda and Pietro Maximoff and Vision. As the rest of the team helped to evacuate Novi Grad and Bruce Banner went to free Romanoff, Stark confronted Ultron in the city's church. Ultron had created a new body for himself and a drill that emerged from the center of the church, revealing a Vibranium detonator with a mechanism located underground.
Vision then came and succeeded to disconnect Ultron from the internet. Ultron then activated the drill and a part from the city flew to the sky. F.R.I.D.A.Y. informed Stark that if the city would get high enough, the impact of its fall to the ground would cause a global extinction. While the Avengers fought against the Ultron Sentries and made sure the civilians were safe, Stark and F.R.I.D.A.Y. debated about a way to make sure the city would not hit the ground. He came to the idea that he and Thor can destroy the rock in the air.
Eventually, Nick Fury and Maria Hill came with a Helicarrier and helped the Avengers with evacuating Novi Grad while War Machine helped with the battle. The Avengers guarded the vibranium drill from the Ultron Sentries to prevent the city from falling. However, one sentry caused the city to fall, but Stark and Thor succeeded in exploding it before it touched the ground.
Leaving the Avengers
- "I will miss you, Tony."
"Yeah? Well, it's time for me to tap out."
- ―Steve Rogers and Tony Stark
New Avengers Facility was constructed in upstate New York; Stark informed the others about his resignation from the Avengers. Stark, Steve Rogers and Thor met at the facility where they discussed the Vision keeping the Mind Stone in his head; Thor insisted that he could as he had proven himself worthy by lifting Mjølnir, although Rogers questioned if this counted as Vision was a machine. Thor then returned to Asgard to learn more about the Infinity Stones. Rogers then said to Stark that he will miss him too, and Stark joked that he will build for Pepper Potts a house in the country, like Clint Barton. Stark then drove from there.
Because all of his activities as Iron Man, Stark and Potts took a break from their relationship.
Facing the Consequences
- "That was really sweet, what you did for the young people."
"Oh, they deserve it. 'Causs it helps to ease my conscious."
- ―Miriam Sharpe and Tony Stark
Stark gave a guest lecture at his alma mater, MIT. He demonstrated the students his latest device, B.A.R.F., which aimed to recreate and relive old memories and showed them his last meeting with his parents. Then he followed with a speech where he introduced a grant being awarded to all students, giving them all the proper funding to move forward with their own inventions and ideas. He then read the telepromter and was shocked to read that he should be presenting Pepper Potts to the stage. As he walked outside, he encountered a woman who complimented his funding. She reached to her purse and Stark, thinking she was about to pull a gun, grab her hand. But instead, she pulled a photo of her son and told him that he had died in Sokovia during the battle. She blamed Stark for his death.
- "We need to be put in check. Whatever form that takes, I'm game. If we can't accept limitations, we're boundless, we're no better than the bad guys."
- ―Tony Stark
On May 5, 2016, Thaddeus Ross presented to Stark the Sokovia Accords, a document which required the Avengers to operate under the supervision of an United Nations panel. Stark, haunted by the massive damage he had caused by creating Ultron, agreed to sign the Accords. One month after the incident on Lagos, Stark and Ross went to the New Avengers Facility, where he tried to convince the Avengers to sign the Accords. Afterwards, the Avengers were briefed on the Accords by Ross, who explained that the Accords were created as a result of the catastrophic events in which they were involved.
As the Avengers debated whether to sign it or not, Stark remained silent. Steve Rogers realized Stark had already chosen a side, which was pro-Accords. Stark gave them the story of Charlie Spencer and how he had died in Sokovia. He pointed out that the group needed to be put in check or they were no better than the bad guys. However, Rogers saw the Accords as a block to keep the Avengers from where they needed to be. Stark and Rogers argued with each other and Stark even got surprising support from Natasha Romanoff. The argument ended when Rogers left the room.
Fighting with a Friend
- "Sometimes I wanna punch you in your perfect teeth. But I don't wanna see you gone. We need you, Cap. So far nothing's happened that can't be undone. Please, sign. We can make the last 24 hours legit. Barnes gets transferred to an American psych center instead of a Wakandan prison."
"I'm not saying it's impossible. There would have to be safeguards."
- ―Tony Stark to Steve Rogers
Stark was in the Joint Counter Terrorist Centre in Berlin when the Accords were to be finalized. During this time, he had asked Vision to keep Wanda Maximoff in the New Avengers Facility in order to protect her, after her accident in Lagos had resulted in her US Visa being removed. Steve Rogers, Sam Wilson, Bucky Barnes and the prince of Wakanda, T'Challa, were arrested and were brought to the JCTC. There, Stark tried once again to convince Rogers to sign the Sokovia Accords. He told him about his breakup with Pepper Potts and that even though he was mad at him, he still needed Rogers. Stark assured him that Barnes would be taken to an American psychiatric facility as opposed to a prison for his involvement in the Bombing of the Vienna International Centre, if he signed. He also said that he had filed a motion to have Rogers and Maximoff reinstated. Rogers asked about her, so Stark explained that Vision kept her safe confined at the avengers compound. Rogers was furious at the idea and compared it to Japanese Internment during World War 2. Stark retorted that he was doing it to save them from something worse, but Rogers refused to compromise and walked out of the room.
During Barnes' psychological assessment, a power failure occurred and Barnes freed himself and tried to escape. Stark engaged him backed up by Natasha Romanoff and Sharon Carter. Stark used his gauntlet to fight him, but Barnes managed to overpower him. Barnes escaped, but Stark knew Barnes was most likely with Rogers, who, along with Wilson, had also escaped custody. Thaddeus Ross informed him that a special force unit would deal with Rogers, but Stark convinced him to let him bring them in. He gave Stark 36 hours before lethal force would be utilized against Rogers. Romanoff said to him that they were understaffed but Stark insisted they had plenty of time to recruit people. Romanoff approached T'Challa to ask for his help, while Stark flew to New York City.
Recruiting Peter Parker
- "So you wanna look out for the little guy. You wanna do your part. Make the world a better place all that, right?"
"Yeah just looking out for the little guy. That's-That's what it is."
- ―Tony Stark and Peter Parker
Having learned about the "Spider-Man" that was protecting New York City, Stark deduced his true identity as Peter Parker and visited him at home. He waited for him to return from school where he openly flirted with his aunt, May. As Parker returned, Tony persuaded him to trick his aunt into thinking that Peter had applied for Stark's scholarship.
Stark entered his room with Parker and was impressed by how Parker used the technology he had retrieved from the trash. Stark showed Parker videos of him as Spider-Man saving civilians. Parker denied it but Stark found his Spider-Man Suit and equipment. Stark asked him if anyone knew who he was, but Parker denied it saying he only wanted to use his powers for the benefit of the people. Impressed, Stark asked him if he wanted to go to Germany, mildly blackmailing him by joking to tell May Parker. When Peter agreed to help, Tony built him a new mechanical suit and flew with Parker back to Germany.
Stark learned of Steve Rogers's plan to escape from the Leipzig-Halle Airport, so he and his teammates evacuated the airport and waited for Rogers and his team. Rogers showed up and Stark, with his new armor, War Machine, Black Widow and Black Panther before attempting diplomacy with Rogers, trying to convince him to turn over the Winter Soldier and surrender before lethal force would be taken against the captain, but found that the negotiation was going nowhere. As a result, Stark called in Spider-Man to steal Captain America's Shield and to tie Rogers' hands, forcing him to listen but Rogers remained uncompromising. Hawkeye then used an arrow to free Rogers before Ant-Man, hidden on the shield, returned it to Captain America. The Mark XLVI's sensors then detected the rest of the renegades making for the Quinjet. Stark flew off to confront Hawkeye and Scarlet Witch before ordering Spider-Man to keep his distance and web up his foes from afar.
Stark used his missiles to stop his targets in their tracks before joking that Maximoff had hurt Vision's feeling as she escaped from the New Avengers Facility before casually greeting Barton and joking about the man's perfect aim. Barton then deliberately fired an arrow to miss Tony, leaving Iron Man open to being pinned under several cars by Maximoff.
Freeing himself, he helped Romanoff up after she, T'Challa, and Rhodes had nearly been killed by Rogers and Lang. Seeing the single mindedness that was driving Rogers, Stark was left with no choice but to call in his trump card: Vision. The android fired a powerful burst from the Mind Stone to try and cow Rogers into submission before offering him a final chance to surrender. Regrouping his team, Stark stood across from Rogers to try and force his ally to stand down by emphasizing how intolerant the world governments were becoming of his crusade. Rogers refused again, forcing Stark to order his team into battle with the directive to capture their renegade teammates alive.
Stark engaged Captain America in melee combat before Hawkeye fired an explosive arrow at the Mark XLVI to no effect. Stark later chose to attack Falcon, before Hawkeye fired a volley of arrows at Stark. The Mark XLVI's systems were able to easily trace the path of the arrows and destroy them but as Stark prepared to take down Barton, the left repulsor failed. Demanding an update from F.R.I.D.A.Y., she tracked the problem to Ant-Man having entered the suit before she ejected him via the usage of fire retardant foam sending him falling several hundred feet. When it became clear Stark's team would win the battle Ant-Man inverted his powers and grew to sixty feet in height. Falcon then attacked Stark, sending the Redwing drone to stun Stark. While the drone threw off Stark's flight plan, it shattered against the armor.
Working with War Machine and Spider-Man, the three managed to knock down the giant Ant-Man recreating a moment from The Empire Strikes Back. As he fell, Lang had managed to knock Parker onto the concrete from a great height prompting Stark to check on him. When he was satisfied with Parker's state he sent him back to New York threatening to call May Parker if the enhanced youth did not listen before Stark flew off to chase after the hijacked Quinjet containing Captain America and the Winter Soldier.
He was backed up by War Machine in his pursuit before Falcon began following them. Rhodes ordered Vision to destroy Falcon's flight gear with the Mind Stone but the android miscalculated and shot out War Machine's Arc Reactor. As Rhodes fell toward the ground, Stark changed direction and tried to save his friend but was unable to catch him in time before he crashed. He immediately ordered F.R.I.D.A.Y. to scan for life signs and she contacted emergency medical personnel when she found Rhodes was still alive. Wilson also landed and told Stark he was sorry, but Stark vented his rage at Rogers' faction and actions on Sam by blasting him with a repulsor decisively ending the fight in favour of Stark's team.
Sending Peter Parker back to Queens, Stark, Natasha Romanoff and Vision retreated to the New Avengers Facility, checking on Rhodes' current state. Stark asked how Vision could make a mistake like that and Vision admitted he was distracted, which neither he nor Stark had known could happen. He was then approached by Romanoff, whom he told he was disappointed she had let Steve Rogers escape, inadvertently leading to Rhodes' accident. He told her that T'Challa had informed Thaddeus Ross about her betrayal, and that the government would likely come to arrest her. When she insisted Stark was wrong, he scoffed at her biases toward Rogers before denouncing her as a friend and commenting that betraying people was the only thing Natasha was good at. He made no attempt to help or detain her as she fled the facility to go underground showing he was losing faith in his former teammates.
In order to find Rogers, Stark went to visit the Raft, where Sam Wilson, Clint Barton, Wanda Maximoff and Scott Lang were imprisoned for the airport's destruction. On his way to the prison, F.R.I.D.A.Y. informed Stark that the therapist who was supposed to do Bucky Barnes' psychological evaluation in Berlin, had been killed and replaced by Helmut Zemo from Sokovia. She told him that Zemo had also framed Barnes for the Bombing of the Vienna International Centre. Although Ross did not believe Stark, he let him to speak to the prisoners. Barton was enraged at Stark's supposed betrayal of his former teammates and Lang said that Hank Pym was right about never trusting the Starks. Stark retorted he had not forced Barton into anything and the man had abandoned his family of his own accord as well as having no idea who Lang was or what he talking about.
As he approached Wilson, Stark asked him to tell him where Rogers had gone. Wilson did not want to do it, but Stark admitted he was wrong not to listen earlier and that he wanted to help Rogers. After Stark knocked out the audio feed, Wilson told him that Rogers was heading for the a HYDRA base in Siberia. Knowing Ross would be of no aid, Stark withheld the information before he donned the Mark XLVI in his helicopter and flew to Siberia.
Entering the HYDRA Siberian Facility, Stark saw Steve Rogers and Bucky Barnes searching for Helmut Zemo. He agreed to put aside the arrest warrant for the two to help them find Zemo before he could use the Winter Soldiers. Upon reaching the main room however, the Mark XLVI's thermal scanners revealed that Zemo had killed the Soldiers instead before the man revealed himself within a bunker where he explained that he had successfully managed to bring Stark to the base, after a year of planning. Rogers realized that Zemo was from Sokovia and wanted revenge because of the battle there. Blaming the Avengers for the loss of his family during the battle, he had orchestrated a plot to tear them apart from the inside.
Zemo then played video footage of the night that Stark's parents died, revealing that HYDRA used the Winter Soldier to assassinate them to steal the Super Soldier Serum in their car trunk. Stark demanded Rogers to tell him if he had known that Barnes had killed his parents. Rogers responded that he had known they were killed by HYDRA but was unaware that Barnes had been the killer. Tony instantly saw through the lie and demanded the truth forcing Rogers to reveal that he had known it had been Barnes for years but hid that fact to protect Barnes from Stark's anger.
Already enraged by the fallout of Rogers' questionable and biased actions over the past few days, Stark snapped and attempted to murder Barnes to avenge his parents. Acknowledging their friendship, he tried to force Rogers out of the fight using both the hand clamps and the laser but Rogers refused to stand down even deflecting a lethal repulsor back at Tony, disabling the suit's targeting system.
As he could no longer target Barnes with his missiles, Stark opted to trap him within the bunker before crushing him under the Mark XLVI's weight. Before he could, Rogers tackled him mid-fall separating the Avenger leader from Barnes and sending him to the ground floor with Rogers. Here Tony stated in no uncertain terms that he was done listening to Rogers before overpowering him in melee combat before Barnes intervened turning the fight into a two on one brawl.
Stark responded to the uneven odds by blasting Rogers with a repulsor, leaving him convulsing in pain for approximately two minutes, before he was forced against the wall by Barnes. The Winter Soldier attempted to remove the suit's main Arc Reactor with his robotic arm before Tony simply unleashed the Unibeam disintegrating the majority of the limb before seemingly killing Barnes with a standard blast.
A recovered and enraged Rogers stormed at Stark, deflecting repulsor fire with his shield before forcing Tony back against the wall and pummeling him relentlessly. Realizing he was incapable of competing with Rogers in close quarters hand to hand combat, Stark ordered F.R.I.D.A.Y. to analyze Rogers' movement patterns to find weaknesses to exploit. Once she had done so, Tony blew away the shield and brutally beat Rogers to his knees. Defeated, Rogers tried to appeal to Tony's friendship before Stark commented that Rogers' decisions over the past few days had made them enemies before giving Rogers a final chance to stand down.
As Rogers stood unyielding, Stark realized he would never stand down and charged a repulsor to kill him. A still alive Barnes grabbed Stark's boot before he could fire before Stark broke his nose with the boot. This distraction allowed Rogers to turn the tide of the battle, using his shield to destroy the Mark XLVI's helmet and the main Arc Reactor. Left running on the suit's backup miniature Arc Reactors, Stark was unable to continue fighting but claimed that Rogers did not deserve his shield, since his father had made it. Rogers dropped his Vibranium shield, returning it to the Stark family, and left the scene with Barnes, leaving Stark behind.
Picking Up The Pieces
- "Tony, we have a problem."
"Ah, please hold."
- ―Thaddeus Ross and Tony Stark
At the New Avengers Facility, Stark developed new technology to help James Rhodes to walk again as they discussed the fallout of the Accords and their belief that they'd done the right thing. Stark then received a package from the mailman, which contained a cell phone and a letter from Steve Rogers, apologizing for keeping the truth about Stark's parents from him, telling Stark if he would need Rogers' help in private, he and the rest of his team were just a phone call away. By this time, Rogers freed the imprisoned Avengers team from the Raft and Thaddeus Ross called Stark for help. Having calmed down slightly, Stark put Ross on hold by pretending to be busy on something else, letting Rogers and his Avengers team escape successfully.
- "You stood by my side all these years while I reaped the benefits of destruction. Now that I'm trying to protect the people I've put in harm's way, you're going to walk out?"
"You're going to kill yourself, Tony. I'm not going to be a part of it."
"I shouldn't be alive... unless it was for a reason. I'm not crazy, Pepper. I just finally know what I have to do. And I know in my heart that it's right."
- ―Tony Stark and Pepper Potts
Many people in the media think that Tony Stark is only just an egocentric playboy. But it is shown throughout the series that Tony does actually care for people, especially his friends. Although Tony causes trouble on occasion, he is more than willing to make up for his mistakes, which is also why he became a superhero. Charming, brilliant, and cocky, Tony is a classic playboy, with his wealth, power, and natural charm allowing him to get just about any woman he wants. But despite his rather carefree and overly confident personality, inside Tony's heart lies loneliness, as Ho Yinsen pointed out: "A man that has everything, but has nothing".
Even though he can appear to be self-obsessed, Tony can also be a great friend and occasionally shows affection toward his teammates. Hence, Tony was the only Avenger who encouraged Bruce Banner to embrace his identity of Hulk as a blessing rather than a curse, and trusted him to make good use of Hulk's powers, He was also impressed by and almost immediately befriended Peter Parker , complimenting him on his Web-Shooters , when he saw himself in the boy , when he sent Parker home , the latter thought that the former was upset , but in reality Stark was greatly impressed by the boy. And when Tony was caught up by the terrifying vision of Scarlet Witch, he was possessed with great fear of losing all his friends on the Avengers team, and having to live after they had all been murdered. During battle, Tony tries his hardest to protect his allies, risking his own life if he has to, notably when he personally carried a nuclear missile through the Tesseract's portal. During the Avengers Civil War, however, he became distant and hardened towards his former teammates for their stubbornness despite letting them escape the Raft.
Tony is also known for being exceptionally intelligent and innovative, having built an Arc Reactor from scratch in Afghanistan. His intellect has earned him the "Da Vinci of Our Time" nickname, and his inventions of Stark Industries have revolutionized technology for mankind. His past as a businessman had turned him into a very pragmatic individual always taking the quickest, most efficient way out of a problem commenting to Steve Rogers that he would simply "cut the wire" if given the choice. This behaviour put him at odds with the majority of the Avengers during the Avengers Civil War as they were unwilling to compromise and negotiate with the United Nations regarding the Sokovia Accords which Tony viewed as the easiest way to continue the Avengers' mission of saving people and appease the public's growing fear and unease regarding the team. As a result of this negotiatory attitude, Tony was one of three Avengers to not become a fugitive by the end of the Civil War and allowed to continue saving people with the support of the United Nations. This pragmatism extended to his fighting style. When confronted by terrorists holding people hostage he simply switched to a more accurate weapon to kill his foes. During the Avengers Civil War, he displayed this again, having the Mark XLVI scan Captain America's fighting style for weaknesses as well simply blasting the Captain away when he and Barnes attempted to tag team Stark and often using his repulsors to enhance his melee combat.
Before his kidnapping, Tony was a self-centered, arrogant person who didn't care for many people. During the following years, however, Tony has matured, gradually becoming more of a team player and becoming somewhat less arrogant. He even began opening up and having a real relationship with Pepper Potts. Tony's exploits as Iron Man have lead him to reevaluate his life, thus Tony now strives to use his inventions in a more responsible and considerate way. A textbook example of a Byronic hero, he never fully let go of his character flaws, however, using them to push him forward as a reminder to do better.
After the Battle of New York, Tony developed a strong fear, that in this new world of "gods" and "aliens", he would be unable to protect the ones he loves, which induced him to become paranoid and full of anxiety, which, in turn, influenced Tony to build first the Iron Legion, and then the Ultron artificial intelligence so the only threats against Earth were from Earth. Despite good intentions, Tony's plans to protect people tend to cause problems at times, most notably after his creation Ultron violently rebelled against humankind, requiring the combined might of Tony and his Avengers teammates to bring down. These events resulted in the deaths of over a hundred civilians which were in turn caused because of him which caused Tony to become more responsible, serious and hardened individual, if not withstanding the same mischievous, wise-cracking nature. This was seen during his visit to the Raft where he steadfastly refused to take Clint Barton's bait and be reduced to petty insults instead maintaining a calm and controlled exterior.
Compared to his fellow Avengers however, he was very forward thinking always seeing a "big picture", willing to take risks, compromise his morals and dabble in shades of grey to achieve results. As seen with the Sokovia Accords, Tony was willing to endure hardships in the present to build a better future. This behaviour often put him at odds with his fellow Avengers, especially Steve Rogers, who were content with the status quo.
During times of great stress and frustration, Stark could become very short tempered and intolerant of those whom he considered his intellectual inferiors for delaying a solution to the problem either mocking/berating them or ignoring them entirely. This behaviour extended to both allies and foes. During the Ultron Offensive, he fearlessly mocked Thor to his face for being short sighted despite the Asgardian lifting him by the neck seconds earlier. After Ultron, he became better at controlling this aspect of his personality but never fully let go of it as seen when he argued with Steve Rogers in the JCTC headquarters.
Even after starting a new life as a superhero, Tony's showy personality has never fully changed - as shown in rendering the Iron Man suit with hot-rod red and gold, and in revealing his identity in public, despite being told not to. Tony has also shown a strong liking towards heavy metal and rock music groups like Black Sabbath, AC/DC, and Queen. He also shows signs of being a gearhead owning and modifying several expensive cars, having a particular liking towards the Audi R8 model line.
Tony was much closer to his mother, Maria Stark, than to his father. During his fight with the Winter Soldier, avenging her was his priority. Tony defended Howard's memory, however, by stating the Captain America's shied was Howard Stark's property and that Rogers had proven unworthy of wielding the weapon by defending the Winter Soldier. Obtaining peace with his father also brightened Tony's opinions on authority figures as he showed a willingness to align the Avengers with United Nations by signing the Sokovia Accords.
Powers and Abilities
This section needs a rewrite
Tony Stark does not possess any innate powers, instead, he uses a miniature version of the Arc Reactor to charge his various suits that provide him with superhuman strength, endurance, durability, and a variety of weapons. His original technology combined with his extraordinary intelligence makes Tony Stark one of the most formidable superheroes and a force to be reckoned with.
With the exception of the Mark I Iron Man armor, almost all of the Iron Man suits share a common design and capability set. The suit is a powered exoskeleton with armored plating, capable of enhancing the wearer's strength, speed, agility, and endurance. The suit is powered by a miniaturized Arc Reactor, either using the one surgically installed in Tony Stark's chest or else built into the chest-piece of the armor itself.
The original armor, Tony Stark created the Iron Man Mark I while in captivity in Afghanistan. As such, it is crudely designed and bulky, but still had the necessary capacity to help him escape his captors. It is bullet-proof, has two built-in flame-throwers, a rocket launcher, as well as rocket boosters for jumps, albeit the boosters were faulty and malfunctioned almost immediately after activation. Like all of Stark's armors, this suit enhanced Stark's physical strength beyond the capabilities of any human, allowing him to effortlessly overpower and kill humans, break stone, bend metal and both lift and press many tons. Durability, resilience, stamina and endurance is also raised to inhuman levels, allowing Stark to be unfazed by bullets, tank shots, explosions, and extreme amounts of impactive force, such as impact from falling at high altitudes. It is notable that this version of the armor, unlike the later Mark 2 and Mark 3 armors, does not have an onboard AI system or internal diagnostic display.
The helmet served only as a simple shield, and was not fully sealed. Stark refashioned the special iron-copper-magnesium alloy from disassembled Stark mortar cannons into the Mark I armor, rendering it especially bulletproof. To power the thruster boots, Stark reportedly siphoned the propellant fuel from four Stark S-class ballistic missiles into two Stark M-class mortars, creating two homemade fuel tanks, welded shut except for valves connecting fuel hoses that led down to the Mark I's legs.
The later model armors' helmet features a retractable visor that delivers a holographic, augmented-reality (AR) display to the wearer. The features of the helmet resemble a human face, with eyepieces and a mouth slit showing the point where the face plate meets the jaw.
The armor's primary weapon, as well as means of propulsion, are repulsors built into the hands and feet. The foot repulsors provide the majority of the propulsion force while the hand repulsors are used as flight stabilizers. Given the intense heat and concussive pressure produced by the repulsors, the ones built into the hands are often used as weapons. When need be, the unibeam repulsor built into the chest-piece can be charged to deliver a powerful, destructive blast.
The Mark II armor was built from basic titanium alloys, giving it a silver sheen. From the Mark III onward, he used a gold-titanium alloy to provide the necessary power-to-weight ratio coupled with the ability to resist icing at high altitudes. As the gold-colored suit seemed a bit ostentatious, Stark took to coloring certain parts of the armor hot-rod red to tone it down a bit without losing the flare he was known for. Later suits were colored a variety of colors, from blue to black to green and even yellow and purple.
Up through the design of the Mark XI, Stark stuck with a basic design and aesthetic, merely improving on the technology and increasing the capabilities. From the Mark XI onward, he began specializing the armor's capabilities, beginning with stealth systems. By the time he built the Mark XV, he began giving the armors individual names to better identify them among the ever-growing set and in terms of the armor's specialized armors abilities.
Iron Man Armors
Tony used his advanced high tech armor to become Iron Man. The armor allows him to fly and contains various weapons for battle. He frequently improves the armor, giving it upgrades for battles and to perfect the systems. Iron Man wears a sophisticated suit of body armor containing various offensive weaponry. He has a number of suits aside from the current model. Some are mission-specific or prototypes for testing, others are older models kept for nostalgia or for research. He has developed a special briefcase to carry his armor in. As the multi-billionaire head of a global corporation and a genius-level inventor, Stark can procure or develop additional technology as needed as possible. The Iron Man Armor is arguably one of the most powerful forms of weapons technology developed by Tony Stark on the planet. Alone, the Mark I was sufficient enough to allow him to go through armed terrorists in order to escape. The Mark II was sufficiently powerful enough to go toe to toe with a more advanced and updated version of the armor (the Mark IV). The Mark III was able to easily dispatch some of the Ten Rings terrorists with ease and battle the Iron Monger suit, however, with some difficulty (due to the fact that it was powered by the first generation mini-Arc Reactor and the Iron Monger was powered by the second Arc Reactor he made upon his return). The Mark V, while lacking additional weaponry and flight capabilities, was still able to take on Vanko while he was just utilizing just the Whiplash harness and Stark relying on his repulsors. The Marks VI and VII proved to be the most powerful generation suits used by Stark. They were powerful enough to battle hordes of Hammer drones, Vanko with his own advanced armor, survive and battle two Asgardian gods (Thor and Loki, respectively) and hordes of alien foot soldiers and large transports (the Leviathan) with ease. The Marks 8 through 42 proved to be equally powerful generation suits as they were able to battle nano tech-enhanced human soldiers who themselves had enough strength to match any of the armors.
- Flight: One of the armor's most important features is its ability of flight. The armor can reach speeds as Mach 3 in moments. It also has variable control surfaces for active flight control by J.A.R.V.I.S. to automatically stabilize the armor in flight. The armor is able to fly at speeds more than 1500 miles per hour. However, the armor shows it can fly at supersonic speeds at the drop of a hat. By the time of the Battle of New York, the Mark VII armor's flight system was improved with additional boosters on the back. It enables the armor to quickly evade enemy attacks, go faster, and also the ability to better maneuver himself and shoot while in flight; due to the fact that he doesn't have to use his hands to keep himself stabilized all the time now. He was able to reach Tennessee from California in a matter of a few hours.
- Superhuman Strength: When inside the armor, it amplifies the user's physical strength, allowing Iron Man to lift in excess of 100 tons. Most armors are strong enough to lift and bench press tanks, S.H.I.E.L.D. transporters, cars, or any other heavy objects. Iron Man was also able to fight Ultron's second robotic body, and, when his strength was temporarily boosted by Mjølnir's lightning (increasing his suit's power to over 400% capacity), Iron Man was able to hold his own against the mighty Asgardian Thor. A more unique feat of strength is Tony inside the Mark VI pushing one of the rotors of the S.H.I.E.L.D. Helicarrier.
- Superhuman Reflexes: While not on par with that of someone with genuine superhuman speed and reflexes like Spider-Man, Iron Man's armors nonetheless have motors for movement, and they are shown to be extremely fast and responsive both in flight and during combat.
- Armor Systems: The armor has remote assistance from J.A.R.V.I.S. who manages the armor's systems at Stark's command, and the armor also has a holographic HUD with heads-up displays for navigation, power level, armor status, weapons systems, vital signs with cellphone and computer connections in the helmet, and a built-in loudspeaker. The armor is powered by a miniature Arc Reactor and has an onboard generator for emergencies. The scanner systems are capable of scanning the environment, weather conditions, and equipment for information.
- Energy Conversion Power Recharge: The armor is able to absorb and convert energy sources, such as heat, kinetic energy or energy from the planet itself into electricity, directly into the batteries for recharge. Thor struck it with a full lightning blast from Mjølnir, but Stark was amazed to find that all it did was charge up the suit to 475%, allowing him to use a powerful repulsor blast and increase his strength substantially enough to give Thor a decent fight.
- Self-Contained Life-Support System and Environmental Protection: The armor can be completely sealed for operations in vacuums or underwater, providing its own life support. It is also shielded against radiation. The armor is shown to be capable of operating underwater, but not designed for deep space travel (However, Tony has a new specialized armor designed to help with that situation).
- Heads Up Display (HUD): The Heads-Up display shows important things for the suit. The Heads Up Display of the Iron Man suit is powered by F.R.I.D.A.Y., Stark's artificial intelligence. The Suit also has Defensive and Offensive sections, able to switch around the sections, resorting to missiles and lasers. The HUD can also be talked to, and F.R.I.D.A.Y. will reply to it. The HUD can scan people, missile identifications, make calls, and give crucial suit credentials such as power. The HUD also has navigational (GPS) support. The suit also has radio capabilities, shown by Tony Stark talking to the Avengers as well as Nick Fury and Maria Hill at the S.H.I.E.L.D. Helicarrier.
- Armor Summon: Thanks to the new repulsor flight system, as well as the magnetic implants embedded in Tony's forearms, individual pieces of the armor can self-assemble themselves on to Tony or others. Tony is able to remotely summon the Mark XLII to Pepper for her to wear after his home was attacked by the Mandarin's forces. Tony summons the Iron Legion to fight against Aldrich's Extremis solders at the oil drilling platform. Tony is forced into confronting Killian, whom he attempts to defeat by ordering the suit to assemble itself on Killian and then self-destruct. This fails to kill him. Pepper intervenes, using her new Extremis abilities, as well a repulsor shot from a captured Iron Man gauntlet to finish off Killian once and for all. He was also able to use this to summon the gauntlet of the Mark XLIII to pick up Loki's Scepter and also once more defend himself against Steve Rogers' attack during the creation of Vision as well as the chest piece.
- Durability: The armor is made up of a strong light weight Titanium Alloy, with interlocked plates for the shell, and a chest plate protecting the Arc Reactor. It has been shown to withstand tremendous amounts of punishment. The armor can withstand tank shells exploded in close proximity to Stark, and a resulting fall from several thousand feet up, followed by hits by 20mm Vulcan shells and a high speed collision with a F-22 Raptor with only minimal cosmetic damage. It was able to survive a full-on fight with an older generation suit throughout Stark's house, the fights with the Hammer Drones and Whiplash, and having several cars dropped on top of him by Scarlet Witch, all of which resulted in taking relatively minor damage. Most of all, it protects the wearer from the effects of extreme g-force. It even allows him to withstand some of Thor's attacks, although Thor proved he could crush the suit's gauntlet frame with his strength. He was able to withstand the force of a turbine from the Helicarrier's engines when he got it to work again after removing the debris blocking it. It is also able to withstand a full-on assault from the Chitauri forces' energy weapons. The Mark 42 was able to take damage from having most of Tony's house collapse on him at the bottom of the ocean and being hit by a Mack truck (although, Tony was not in the armor and was remote controlling it).
- Advanced Combat Analysis: The Mark XLVI armor and component artificial intelligence F.R.I.D.A.Y. have the ability to analyze people's specific fighting patterns, and in turn, find a counter to said fighting style. When Stark proved unable to defeat Captain America in hand to hand combat, he had FRIDAY analyze the pattern of Rogers' moves and find the openings. Once she had done so, Stark brought Rogers down in a matter of seconds.
- Repulsors: A particle weapon in the palm gauntlets that shoot beams or blasts of concussive and explosive force. It can repel physical and energy-based attacks. Early repulsors needed time to recharge after use, but, because of the new Arc Reactor, they are able to fire at a moment's notice. The repulsors show to be strong enough to kill regular humans with one strike, destroy most stone and metal objects with ease, and destroy unmanned battle drones. When the suit is charged with additional power, the repulsors are powerful enough to stun even a superhuman with sufficient durability like Thor. It also enabled him to stun Loki on two occasions and take down numerous Chitauri foot soldiers and airships with ease. His repulsors shot down two of the three attack helicopters that destroyed his house and took out Extermis-enhanced soldiers. The repulsors now can fire in the form of segmented bolts and blasts instead of just beams. Also, by the sixth armor, the repulsor's can become small laser like welding beams, which Stark used to install an Arc Reactor for Stark Tower. The ones on the Mark XLVI are capable of launching targets off their feet and can even incapacitate Captain America.
- Unibeam: A more powerful version of the repulsor beams. It is located in the chest. However, it requires more power from the Arc Reactor to use and cannot be used as often. He used a blast to kill Savin after the many times Savin had taken several shots from his repulsor blasts. The Unibeam is powerful enough to disintegrate the Winter Soldier's prosthetic arm.
- "I think you should lead with that next time."
- ―War Machine
- Lasers: A powerful weapon in the gauntlet wrists that can cut through any common metal. However, it is not strong enough to penetrate a Leviathan's shell. It has been shown to be very proficient against the Hammer Drones but Stark stated it only had a one-time use. It has been improved and has been used on several occasions in later models. They draw power from the Arc Reactor for more sustained operations, and can theoretically reduce the armor energy reserves to a drained state if operated indefinitely.
- Smart Mini-guns: Small anti-personnel guns in the shoulders that can target individual targets at once and fire at a moment's notice. It's proved to be highly effective against unarmored foot soldiers.
- Tank-Missile: Among the most proficient of the armor's weapon system is the missiles. The armor holds a multi-fire adhesive grenade launcher in the upper arm. It includes Anti-Tank, Armor-Piercing rounds. In later models, the armor has mini-rockets hidden in a secret compartment in the boosters on the back, that blew up numerous Chitauri ships. Stark was able to destroy a Leviathan by flying into its mouth and launching them throughout its body with missiles in compartments in his knees. He was able to use a missile hit by a repulsor to take down an attacker.
- Direct Cybernetic Interface: Thanks to micro-repeaters injected into his left forearm, Tony can mentally and remotely control the Iron Man armors beginning with the Mark XLII either as a whole or in pieces with a combination of gestures and thought. This is further augmented by a holographic headset, which allows Tony to see through the Mark XLII's primary camera and allowing for complete remote control of the armor as though he were wearing it. The system was still in the test phases when Tony was forced to use it during his campaign against Killian, and had a tendency to fail at random.
- Armor Link: Tony can mentally command the armor with his thoughts even when he is fully unconscious. The Mark XLII almost attacked Pepper in bed when Tony was having a nightmare. Pepper's screams woke Tony in time to shut down the armor. He also can use a holographic headset that mimics the armors heads up display and allows him to remotely control the armor as if he were inside it. He used this headset to remotely pilot the Mark XLII while he was on a speed boat with Rhodey searching for Killian. He sent the armor aboard Air Force One to battle and kill Eric Savin and save its surviving occupants. Two years later he displayed these abilities with regards to the Mark XLIII, being able to summon pieces of it on telephonic command.
- "When did you become an expert in thermonuclear astrophysics?"
- ―Maria Hill and Tony Stark
- Genius Level Intellect: At age four Stark built his first circuit board, at age six his first engine, and at seventeen he graduated summa cum laude from MIT. As a child, he built Dum-E and U., his personal lab assistants. Stark is one of the smartest humans in the world, rivaled only by fellow geniuses like Bruce Banner, Hank Pym and Helen Cho.
- Master Engineer: Stark is a gifted engineer and has been able to make many complicated inventions at a young age. Even in a cave with very few resources, Stark and Ho Yinsen were able to make the Mark I armor and the first miniature Arc Reactor. Stark made his A.I. system, J.A.R.V.I.S., from scratch. He was also able to program his armors to fly to his body and the bodies of others. Stark was able to use simple supplies he got from a hardware store to build a home-made arsenal which he used to infiltrate the Mandarin's mansion. Stark was able to help Bruce Banner construct the Hulkbuster, create the Ultron AI, download J.A.R.V.I.S. into the Vision android, and help Peter Parker create new Web-Shooters and the Spider-Man Suit, capable of focusing Spider-Man's superhuman senses.
- Master Scientist: Tony Stark is very resourceful and knowledgeable in many different fields of science, being able to attach an Arc Reactor to his chest in order to save his life, to synthesize a previously unknown element discovered by his father and to modify Maya Hansen's Extremis formula.
- Expert Hacker: Tony is a highly skilled hacker, as he had managed to crack the Pentagon's firewall, while still in high school.
- "I'm trying to do the job you were meant to do."
- ―Pepper Potts
- Expert Businessman: At the age of twenty-one, Tony took over Stark Industries because both of his parents had died in a tragic car accident. Since then, Stark has helped the company grow, and get more business partners. Stark is extremely well-respected in the business world, able to command people's attentions when he speaks on economic matters by virtue of the fact that he is savvy enough to have, over the years, built up Stark Industries into the premier weapons supplier to the U.S. military for years. He is known for having his employees' loyalty, as well as his impeccable business ethics. However, upon his return, he now strives to be environmentally responsible in his businesses such as turning away from making weapons.
- Expert Tactician: Stark has made many split-second decisions that have saved people's lives. Despite preferring to work on his own, Stark has proven to be a skilled and tactful leader when the situation calls for it.
- Martial Artist: Stark is trained in unarmed combat by Phil Coulson and Happy Hogan, and has become quite formidable on his own when the situation demands it. He was able to hold his own against James Rhodes, a Lieutenant Colonel Air Force Combat Pilot. He was also able to battle Thor almost to a standstill for a time while using the Mark VI armor. Tony further refined his hand-to-hand combat skills and became skilled in martial arts, being able to take down the guards at Aldrich Killian's Mansion with ease using a homemade arsenal, and holding his own to evade and confront the Extremis Soldiers and Aldrich Killian on the Norco. However, Tony's combat skills are still not on par with someone as formidable as the Winter Soldier, who overpowered and knocked out an unarmored Tony rather quickly. However, while he was in his Mark XLVI armor, he was able to take down Bucky with ease and had the upper hand, as well as being able to hold his own against both Winter Soldier and Captain America simultaneously. Tony notably had the assistance of F.R.I.D.A.Y.'s combat analysis in order to hold his own against Captain America's superior fighting skills, though Rogers was still ultimately able to defeat Tony due to a last second distraction.
- Marksman: Although he usually uses his armor, in some situations Stark is able to wield handguns with ease, using them to escape from A.I.M. operatives while not having access to his armor.
- Skilled Pilot: Stark demonstrates a strong understanding of aerodynamics and air crafts, allowing him to perform complex maneuvers while flying in the Iron Man armor. His aptitude also extends to ground-based vehicles, allowing him to efficiently drive in high-speed racing competitions such as the Monaco GP.
- Multilingualism: Stark speaks his native English, as well as some French , along with a little Spanish, Italian, and Latin. 
|Appearances for Tony Stark|
In chronological order:
- When Tony Stark calls Rhodes, the ringtone is the original Iron Man theme song from the 1966 TV series.
- He considers calling his autobiography "A Cheap Trick and a Cheesy One-Liner"
- So far, every Marvel Cinematic Universe movie that Bruce Banner was in, Stark was in as well. That theme continues in any film they are mentioned. In Thor, Dr. Selvig mentions a "pioneer in Gamma radiation" and when the Destroyer arrives Agent Coulson questions if it is "Stark's". Vaguely relevant in Captain America: The First Avenger, Stark's father is involved in Project Rebirth, the same program that is recreated by Banner in The Incredible Hulk. During the events of Captain America: The Winter Soldier, both Stark and Banner are mentioned twice: Stark is mentioned as the engineer behind the turbine systems of Project Insight and "Iron Man" is part of the bargain Fury has with Pierce over delaying Project Insight, while Agent Sitwell lists "Bruce Banner" in his Zola Algorithm monologue and Fury mentions Banner as the mind behind Tetrodotoxin B.
- The reason why Tony's arc reactor changes from an inverted pyramid back to a circular shape in The Avengers is because Director Joss Whedon personally disliked it, so most likely it was only kept in future films to honor continuity (although the inverted pyramid remains within the circular arc reactor if one simply looks close).
- Starting with the Mark IV (and expecting the Mark V), the armors no longer use Stark's Arc Reactor as a power source. Instead, the suits each have their own individual Arc Reactor as seen when Killian damaged the one powering the Silver Centurion armor and Stark's own Reactor remained unscathed.
- Tony Stark bookends the Battle of New York. He was the first to shoot back when the Chitauri began streaming through the portal, and ended the battle by hitting the Chitauri Command Center with a nuclear missile.
- Other than his cameo in The Incredible Hulk, Tony Stark has been grabbed by the throat in every film he appeared in.
- Stark is prone to dramatic pauses followed by an unemotive "Son of a bitch" in the event of an epiphany, as demonstrated when he realized Loki was seeking to use Stark Tower to mount his assault on New York and the revelation Helmut Zemo had framed The Winter Soldier for murder.
- Stark has a prototype shield of Captain America.
- Stark's de-aged appearance in Captain America: Civil War is based on Robert Downey, Jr.'s appearance in the 1987 film Less Than Zero.
- Hawkeye mockingly calling Stark "The Futurist" is a reference to a studio album that Robert Downey, Jr. made in 2004.
Behind the Scenes
- Robert Downey, Jr. was uncredited for his appearance in The Incredible Hulk.
- Before Robert Downey, Jr. was cast as Tony, Nicolas Cage and Tom Cruise were interested in playing Iron Man. Cruise, in particular, was going to act in and produce the film. Cage played another Marvel superhero in Ghost Rider. According to Jon Favreau, Clive Owen and Sam Rockwell are among the actors that were considered for Tony Stark during pre-production. Rockwell would appear in Iron Man 2 as Justin Hammer.
- Favreau had planned to cast a newcomer in the role but ultimately chose Downey (a fan of the comic) because he felt the actor's past made him an appropriate choice for the part.
- "The best and worst moments of Robert's life have been in the public eye," the director explained. "He had to find an inner balance to overcome obstacles that went far beyond his career. That's Tony Stark. Robert brings a depth that goes beyond a comic book character who is having trouble in high school, or can't get the girl." Favreau also felt Downey could make Stark a "likable asshole", but also depict an authentic emotional journey once he won over the audience. Downey had an office next to Favreau during pre-production, which allowed him greater involvement in the screenwriting process. He brought a deeper sense of humor to the film not present in previous drafts of the script.
- Downey stated that he initially pushed Joss Whedon to make Stark the lead in The Avengers, "Well, I said, ‘I need to be in the opening sequence. I don’t know what you’re thinking, but Tony needs to drive this thing.’ He was like, ‘Okay, let’s try that.’ We tried it, and it didn’t work, because this is a different sort of thing, the story and the idea and, the theme are the theme, and everybody is just an arm of the octopus."
- A recurring theme in the Iron Man films is birthdays. In Iron Man it is Pepper Potts' birthday; in Iron Man 2, it is Tony Stark's birthday, and in Iron Man 3, it is Christmas (Jesus Christ's birthday). It can even be said that in The Avengers it is the "birth" of The Avengers and in Avengers: Age of Ultron it's the "birth" of Ultron and Vision.
- Throughout The Avengers, Tony is seen wearing a Black Sabbath t-shirt, a reference to the band's song "Iron Man". Despite the fact the song was created with no link to the Marvel comic, the Iron Man film series have often adapted the song to use in film and advertisements.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Iron Man 2: Public Identity
- ↑ 2.00 2.01 2.02 2.03 2.04 2.05 2.06 2.07 2.08 2.09 2.10 2.11 2.12 2.13 2.14 2.15 2.16 Iron Man 2
- ↑ Guidebook to the Marvel Cinematic Universe - Iron Man
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 4.5 4.6 4.7 Iron Man
- ↑ 5.00 5.01 5.02 5.03 5.04 5.05 5.06 5.07 5.08 5.09 5.10 Iron Man 3
- ↑ 6.00 6.01 6.02 6.03 6.04 6.05 6.06 6.07 6.08 6.09 6.10 Avengers: Age of Ultron
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 7.3 7.4 7.5 7.6 7.7 7.8 7.9 Captain America: Civil War
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 Iron Man: Fast Friends
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 Iron Man: Security Measures
- ↑ Iron Man Post-credits Scene
- ↑ Iron Man: I Am Iron Man!
- ↑ Iron Man 2: Nick Fury: Director of S.H.I.E.L.D.
- ↑ Iron Man 2: Fist of Iron
- ↑ Iron Man 2: Security Breach
- ↑ Iron Man 2 Deleted Scene
- ↑ 16.0 16.1 The Consultant
- ↑ The Incredible Hulk
- ↑ 18.0 18.1 18.2 18.3 Iron Man 3 Prelude
- ↑ 19.0 19.1 19.2 19.3 19.4 19.5 19.6 19.7 19.8 The Avengers
- ↑ Thor: The Dark World Prelude
- ↑ The Avengers Post-credits Scene
- ↑ Iron Man: The Coming of the Melter
- ↑ 23.0 23.1 Captain America: The Winter Soldier
- ↑ Iron Man 3 Post-credits Scene
- ↑ Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: 1.20: Nothing Personal
- ↑ WHiH Newsfront July 16, 2015
- ↑ WHiH Newsfront Twitter Profile
- ↑ Here's How 'Captain America: Civil War' Created A Young Tony Stark
|CEO of Stark Industries|
1991 - 2010