James Gunn wrote and directed Guardians of the Galaxy and the upcoming Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2.
James Gunn had a cameo in Guardians of the Galaxy as a Maskless Sakaaran.
He also directed the mid-credits scene of Thor: The Dark World.
- James Gunn cast many of his former collaborators in the films Slither and Super into Guardians of the Galaxy, such as Michael Rooker, Gregg Henry, Nathan Fillion, Rob Zombie, Stephen Blackehart and Mikaela Hoover.
- James Gunn cast his own brother and frequent collaborator Sean Gunn for multiple roles in Guardians of the Galaxy.
- James Gunn cast his own dog Wesley Von Spears to portray a Holographic Dog in Guardians of the Galaxy.
- James Gunn asked his mentor Lloyd Kaufman to make a cameo in the film, like he did in Gunn's previous films Slither and Super.
- James Gunn is the third Marvel Cinematic Universe director to play a part in the film he is directing. The first was Jon Favreau, who portrayed Happy Hogan in Iron Man, Iron Man 2 and also in Iron Man 3 despite not directing it. The second was Joe Russo, who portrayed Doctor Fine in Captain America: The Winter Soldier.
- James Gunn wrote a treatment for a Silver Surfer movie in 1999.
- James Gunn was the only person at the 41st Saturn Awards to be nominated in two separate categories, Best Director and Best Writing.