K'un-Lun is a mystical lost city located in a different dimension, and one of the Seven Capital Cities of Heaven. The gate to K'un-Lun can be accessed in China every 15 years. The Iron Fist serves as the guardian of the gate and K'un-Lun's protector and destroyer of the Hand. After he lost his family in an expedition, Danny Rand was raised by the inhabitants of the city.
It would appear, however, that the Iron Fist may be the key to reopening the dimensional gate/portal to K'un-Lun, as the Hand's main goal was to obtain the Iron Fist and return to K'un-Lun.
Banishment of the Heretics
Thousands of years into the past, K'un-Lun had taught methods of healing through chi. However, five disciples had made the decision to corrupt these teachings and desired immortality. They were banished from the city, left to wander the Earth. The five came together and created the shadow organization known as the Hand.
Though the four leaders of the organization have collected dragon bones and used the substance to continue living through the centuries and the hope of returning home, their true head Alexandra Reid has been guiding them for the personal benefit of being immortal, caring less about returning to K'un-Lun.
A Young Orphan
In a severe blizzard storm, the aircraft of Rand Enterprises crashed in the Himalayas, the only survivor being a young Danny Rand. Feeling faint, he is found by two warrior monks Chodak and Tashi. The two brought Rand to K'un-Lun, where he was sheltered, nurtured, and trained under the guidance of Lei Kung.
Trial of Shou-Lao
Years after both men have passed their trainings, Lei Kung and the elders were left to select a candidate to partake in the Trial of Shou-Lao. Though Davos had hoped to be chosen, the elders had picked Rand to enter the Cave of the Dragon and defeat Shou Lao the Undying. Rand had traveled to the Cave, meeting face-to-face with the immortal dragon. Eventually, he managed to punch the molten heart and obtained the power of the Iron Fist. Davos traveled outside the Cave and found an exhausted and resting Rand at the entrance. Shivering and abruptly awakened, Davos summoned the Iron Fist, while Davos was amazed at his friend's success. He carried the victor back to the village.
Guarding the Gate
Now wielding this new power, Rand was tasked to guard the gate that connected K'un-Lun to Earth. He was accompanied by Davos, whom was willing to join alongisde him to protect the city. One day, Rand had meditated on a mountain top, contemplating on whether he should stay at the gate or return home. His eyes soon saw a hawk flying down the Himalayas and perceived it as a sign; Rand eventually abandoned the gate and left K'un-Lun.
Attack on K'un-Lun
Danny Rand and Colleen Wing climbed the icy mountainsides of the Himalayas. Finding better footing, the duo traveled through the pass and discovered that there was blood mixed into the snow. Rand, further onward, learned that there were Hand soldiers dead on the ground; when he reached the gate, he noticed that K'un-Lun had disappeared.
- There are veiled references to K'un-Lun in Daredevil:
- In the episode The Ones We Leave Behind, Madame Gao tells Leland Owlsley that she is returning to her homeland to reflect on the future. When he asks if she means China, she replies that it is "a considerable distance further".
- In the episode Kinbaku, an article on the New York Bulletin read by Foggy Nelson refers to a "lost city".
- ↑ FINN JONES TALKS IRON FIST
- ↑ The Defenders: 1.04: Royal Dragon
- ↑ The Defenders: 1.05: Take Shelter
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Iron Fist: 1.02: Shadow Hawk Takes Flight
- ↑ Iron Fist: 1.05: Under Leaf Pluck Lotus
- ↑ Iron Fist: 1.08: The Blessing of Many Fractures
- ↑ The Defenders: 1.06: Ashes, Ashes
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 Iron Fist: 1.11: Lead Horse Back to Stable
- ↑ Iron Fist: 1.13: Dragon Plays with Fire
- ↑ Daredevil: 1.12: The Ones We Leave Behind
- ↑ Daredevil: 2.05: Kinbaku