- "Where have you been?"
"Well, after Western medicine failed me, I headed East, and I ended up in Kathmandu. [...] I went to a place called Kamar-Taj and I talked to someone called the Ancient One, and..."
"Oh. So you joined a cult."
"No, I didn't. Not exactly. I mean, they did teach me to tap into powers that I never even knew existed."
"Yeah, that sounds like a cult."
- ―Christine Palmer and Doctor Strange
Kamar-Taj is the home and training grounds to the Masters of the Mystic Arts.
Kamar-Taj is a place where sorcerers and sorceresses train. People often come here after being broken or damaged, physically and metaphorically.
House of Wisdom
- "No knowledge in Kamar-Taj is forbidden. Only certain practices. Those books are far too advanced for anyone other than the Sorcerer Supreme."
Kamar-Taj also houses spellbooks that have dangerous spells. Despite this, the warnings come after the spells rather than before, a common practice in the rest of the world. This can cause sorcerers to practice spells without knowing the risks and costs.
A Strange Pilgrimage
- "The place you're looking for is called Kamar-Taj. But the cost is high."
- ―Jonathan Pangborn
Following his car accident and the subsequent nerve damage suffered in his arms, Dr. Stephen Strange exhausted most of his wealth and sought out various medical procedures in an attempt to fix them, only to be told that it was impossible. After hearing from a counselor that a man named Jonathan Pangborn also received a similar injury and recovered completely from it, Strange sought out to find Pangborn and discover how he had done so.
During their encounter, Pangborn revealed that he had gone to a place known as Kamar-Taj in Kathmandu where his mind learned to heal what his body could not. Although Strange was skeptical, he used the last of his funds to travel to Nepal in a last-ditch effort to be healed from his affliction.
- In the comics, Kamar-Taj is an isolated community located in Tibet, on the Himalayas. It is the home of the Ancient One as well as many other sorcerers and mystics.
- Kamar-Taj's wi-fi password is "Shamballa," a reference to the graphic novel Doctor Strange: Into Shamballa.