- "Over here. This pile of rocks waving at you. I’m actually a thing, I’m a being. Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Korg. I’m kind of like the leader in here. I’m made of rocks, as you can see, but don’t let that intimidate you. You don’t need to be afraid, unless you’re made of scissors! Just a little Rock, Paper, Scissors joke for you."
Korg is a Kronan warrior who resided on Sakaar and was forced to participate with the Grandmaster's Contest of Champions. Upon meeting the Asgardian Prince Thor, Korg helped him escape from Sakaar with the Hulk and defeat the threat of Hela. Having gained victory, Korg and Miek joined the Asgardian people in their journey towards the Earth following the complete Destruction of Asgard.
Enslaved by the Grandmaster
- "I tried to start a revolution, but didn't print enough pamphlets so hardly anyone turned up. Except for my mum and her boyfriend, who I hate. As punishment, I was forced to be in here and become a gladiator."
- ―Korg to Thor
Korg was forced to become one of the Grandmaster's champions on the planet Sakaar after his rebellion against him failed when he was unable to collect enough support. The only people that turned up were his mother and her boyfriend, whom he hated. He reflects on this later in his life, joking that he "didn't print enough pamphlets". Korg met and became friends with another gladiator, Miek.
Explaining the Contest
Soon after Thor was thrown into the gladiator's quarters, Korg struck up a conversation with him, introducing himself and his friend Miek to him and insisting that Thor not be intimidated by his appearance. Once Korg had confirmed to Thor that he was indeed a Kronan, Korg then explained how he had first gotten to Sakaar following his own failed revolution.
As Thor had attempted to explore their cell, he discovered that it was a magic circle which Korg described as a freaky circle. Thor and Korg then discussed the Grandmaster's champion, with Korg telling him that everyone who fought against the Hulk inside the arena had died, showing him Doug, the last person who faced the Hulk who was also dead. He then took to calling Thor "New Doug" after Thor announced that he would be challenging the Hulk and intended to win.
When Loki visited Thor using his illusion powers in order to try and convince his adopted brother not to challenge the Grandmaster's champion and consider escaping while Hela took over Asgard, Korg stayed close by but did not interfere. Just as Loki's illusion left the room, Korg took the chance and attempted to attack him, yelling at Loki to piss off and calling him a ghost, while Miek had also charged forward to assist his friend in the possible battle against Loki.
Thor vs Hulk
- "Ah, yuck, there's still someone's hair and blood all over this. Guys, can you clean up the weapons once you've finished your fight? Disgusting slobs."
Prior to Thor's battle against the Hulk, Korg complained to his fellow champions about the state of the communal weapons, asking them to clean them after use having found some hair and blood from the previous Contest of Champions battles over some of the weapons. Seeing that Thor was struggling to chose a weapon to use, Korg then offered him a three pronged spear which he turned down, hoping instead to find a new hammer that he could use in his battle.
Thor then told Korg all about Mjølnir and it's abilities to summon up lightning and return to his hand whenever he called it, although Korg misunderstood Thor a few times by mistakenly thinking that Thor rode the hammer to fly. Thor and Korg then discussed Scrapper 142, with Korg revealing that she was in fact Asgardian as well as a former member of the Valkyries, much to Thor's surprise as he attempted to convince her to help him escape Sakaar, although she refused.
During Thor's duel with the Hulk, Korg commented on his apparent foolishness, staying in the wings alongside Miek and all of the other fighters as the fight had gone ahead. However, when Thor gained the upper hand, Korg encouraged the other gladiators to participate in the chant supporting Thor. Eventually however, the Grandmaster had cheated and used the Obedience Disk to knock Thor to the ground and allow Hulk to win, as Korg was reminded of Doug's fight.
During Thor's attempt to escape from Sakaar, Korg remained locked inside of his cell with Miek to keep him company while they remained as prisoners of the Grandmaster, with Korg questioning if the liquid that Miek was dropping from his body were in fact his eggs which he suspected. While Korg remained in waiting, Thor sent Valkyrie to deactivate the Control Disks on Korg and the other prisoners, finally giving them freedom.
Around the gladiator quarters, the disks fell off them to Korg's delight before Valkyrie burst into their room and asked to know who Korg was out of the other Contest of Champions challengers. Korg himself then awkwardly questioned who it was who was asking before noting that he knew only Valkyrie was asking him and questioning if she was asking on behalf of anybody else. Valkyrie had then noted that Thor had sent her before Korg was then provided with a Sakaaran firearm by Valkyrie, Korg lead the slave revolt against the Grandmaster.
Korg then recruited Tasba and Biff into the rebellion, quickly gaining their freedom while Thor was able to make his escape. During the revolt, Korg and his companions broke into the hangar bay to escape the planet, leading Korg to find a Control Disk trigger, which he then switched off, releasing Loki, who they offered a way off the planet. The group then stole a large ship and escaped Sakaar, flying through the Devil's Anus towards Asgard in order to assist Thor.
While Loki piloted the Statesman towards the Bifrost Bridge, Korg got off early and managed to save Heimdall's life when he had been pinned down by the Berserkers. Korg then introduced himself and Miek to Heimdall before pointing him in the direction of the Statesman, inviting Heimdall and the other Asgardians to make their hasty escape from Asgard just before they could all be wiped out.
Korg and his fellow Contest of Champions gladiators then proceeded to help all of the remaining Asgardians to evacuate the planet before it was too late by climbing onboard the Statesman, with Korg using his Sakaaran Blaster to shoot down all of the attacking Berserkers which had been sent to stop them by Hela. Fighting alongside Loki, Heimdall and Miek to ensure the safety of the Asgardians, Korg and his new allies eventually found themselves overwhelmed.
Faced with the onslaught of Berserkers, Korg held them off for as long as he could, before witnessing a massive lightning blast destroy much of the Asgardian Palace. Much to the surprise of Korg, out of the lightning came Thor, who charged through the Berserkers army and aided his allies, all while the Hulk dealt with Fenris, giving Korg and the others a clear advantage. During their battle however, Korg had inadvertently stepped on and seemingly killed Miek.
Feeling great guilt over killed Miek, Korg picked him up and took him onboard the Statesman as they were evacuated. Having successfully evacuated all the surviving Asgardians, Korg watched as Surtur then destroyed Asgard by finally causing Ragnarök. Korg commented on how the Asgardians could rebuild the planet, only to witness the utter destruction of the world. Shocked, Korg commented that Asgard was well and truly destroyed, apologizing for his previous comment.
Joining the Asgardians
Following the Battle of the Rainbow Bridge, Korg stood by onboard the Statesman alongside all of the remaining Asgardians and his new allies while Thor was named as their new King of Asgard. As Thor was asked by Heimdall where they should go next following the complete and utter destruction of their beloved homeworld, Thor was quietly musing where to go onto, before he asked where Miek's homeworld was, considering this to be a good destination to aim for.
Korg admitted that Miek was dead because he had stepped on him while still on the Rainbow Bridge, and that he had been carrying him around because he felt guilty about killing his dear friend. However Miek then regained consciousness, much to Korg's relief as he then announced to everybody that Miek was indeed alive. Apologising to Thor and inviting him to speak again, Korg and everybody else were informed that their next destination would in fact be Earth.
In stark contrast to the rest of his kind, who are reputed for their brute strength and intimidating forms, Korg was a very civilized and kind-hearted individual. He was very kind to those who he considered friends, especially Miek, and even showed hospitality to complete strangers including Thor and Loki. He also appears to be quite articulate, as shown when he described in great detail his beliefs regarding Thor's attachment to Mjølnir. Korg is also very humorous, showcasing his humor in efforts to ease situations.
Powers and Abilities
- "You're made from rock."
- ―Thor and Korg
- Kronan Physiology: Kronans are an ancient race of rock-like humanoid beings, with superhuman abilities.
- Superhuman Strength: Korg possesses immense superhuman strength, beyond that of an average Asgardian, though not quite on par with that of Thor Odinson.
- Superhuman Durability: Korg's rock-like body is incredibly durable, though still vulnerable to blows from Hulk or from an opponent wielding Mjølnir.
- Combatant: Korg is a proficient combatant, being a veteran of the Grandmaster's Contest of Champions, surviving many gladiatorial matches. He is also able to take down dozens of Berserkers with his firearm.
- "Wanna use a big wooden fork?"
"Yeah, not really useful unless you’re fighting off three vampires that were huddled together."
- ―Korg and Thor
- Obedience Disk: In an attempt to distract the Sakaaran Guards and ensure the Revengers' escape, Korg was wearing an obedience disk that would shock him if manage to rebel. Valkyrie helped Korg to deactivate the Obedience Disks as well as the other gladiators, making him free from getting shocked and start a Sakaaran Rebellion.
- "We're gonna get outta here on that big spaceship. Wanna come?"
- ―Korg to Loki
- Statesman: Formerly owned by the Grandmaster, the Statesman is a massive spaceship, that was later used by Korg and the Sakaaran Rebellion, in order to escape Sakaar.
- In the comics, Korg was part of a team named the "Warbound", that included Hulk and was headquartered on Sakaar. Korg first appeared in Journey into Mystery #83, the first Marvel comic to feature Thor.
Behind the Scenes
- Taika Waititi claimed that he based Korg's soft-spoken voice on Polynesian bouncers. "We wanted to change the idea of what a hulking guy made of rocks could be. He's huge and heavy, but with a light soul. We wanted to make him funny and a relatable entry point into this world. And Thor needs friends".
- Kevin Feige stated that Korg and Miek will return in the Marvel Cinematic Universe after Thor: Ragnarok, and he also discussed about a One-Shot about the two characters with Waititi.