- "Over here. This pile of rocks waving at you. I’m actually a thing, I’m a being. Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Korg. I’m kind of like the leader in here. I’m made of rocks, as you can see, but don’t let that intimidate you. You don’t need to be afraid, unless you’re made of scissors! Just a little Rock, Paper, Scissors joke for you."
Korg is a Kronan warrior who resides on Sakaar. He was forced to become one of the Grandmaster's champions on the planet Sakaar after his rebellion against him failed when he was unable to collect enough support. Upon meeting the Asgardian Prince Thor, Korg and his friend Miek helped him escape Sakaar with Hulk. During Thor's escape, he sent Valkyrie free the champions. Being provided with a firearm by Valkyrie, Korg lead a slave revolt. During the revolt, Korg and his companions stole a large ship and escaped Sakaar, flying towards Asgard. Korg and his fellows helped the Asgardians to evacuate the planet, until Surtur brought destruction of Asgard and completely destroyed Asgard. Korg than joined the Asgardian people in their journey to Earth.
Enslaved by the Grandmaster
- "I tried to start a revolution, but didn't print enough pamphlets so hardly anyone turned up. Except for my mum and her boyfriend, who I hate. As punishment, I was forced to be in here and become a gladiator."
- ―Korg to Thor
Korg was forced to become one of the Grandmaster's champions on the planet Sakaar after his rebellion against him failed when he was unable to collect enough support. The only people that turned up were his mother and her boyfriend, whom he hated. He reflects on this later in his life, joking that he "didn't print enough pamphlets". Korg met and became friends with another gladiator, Miek.
Explaining the Contest
- "Ah, yuck, there's still someone's hair and blood all over this. Guys, can you clean up the weapons once you've finished your fight? Disgusting slobs."
Soon after Thor was thrown into the gladiator's quarters, Korg struck up a conversation with him, introducing himself and his friend Miek to him and explaining the Grandmaster's champion, telling him that everyone who fought against the Hulk died, showing him Doug, the last person who faced the Hulk who was dead. He then took to calling Thor "New Doug" after Thor announced that he would be challenging the Hulk.
When Loki visited Thor using his illusion powers, Korg attempted to attack him, yelling "Piss off, ghost!"
Prior to Thor's battle with the Hulk, Korg complained to his fellow champions about the state of the communal weapons, asking them to clean them after use. Thor held a conversation with Korg, talking about Mjølnir and Scrapper 142. During Thor's duel with the Hulk, Korg commented on his apparent foolishness. However, when Thor gained the upper hand, Korg encouraged the other gladiators to participate in the chant supporting Thor.
During Thor's attempt to escape Sakaar, Thor sent Valkyrie to deactivate the Control Disks. Around the gladiator quaters, the disks fell off them to Korg's delight. Being provided with a firearm by Valkyrie, Korg lead a slave revolt. During the revolt, Korg and his companions broke into the hangar bay to escape the planet, leading Korg to find a Control Disk trigger, which he switched off, releasing Loki, who they offered a way off the planet. The group then stole a large ship and escaped Sakaar, flying through the Devil's Anus towards Asgard.
As Loki piloted the ship towards the Bifrost Bridge, where Korg and his fellow gladiators helped the Asgardians to evacuate the planet. Faced with the onslaught of Berserkers, Korg held them off with the gladiators, retreating to the ship when Surtur revealed himself. After successfully evacuating the surviving Asgardians, Korg watched as Surtur destroyed Asgard, commenting on how the Asgardians could rebuild the planet, only to witness the utter destruction of the world. Shocked, Korg commented that Asgard was well and truly destroyed.
Joining the Asgardians
Sometime later, when the new king of Asgard, Thor, was musing where to go, he asked where Miek's homeworld was. Korg admitted that Miek was dead because he had stepped on him, and that he was carrying him around because he felt guilty. Miek then regained consciousness, much to Korg's relief.
In stark contrast to the rest of his kind, who are reputed for their brute strength and intimidating forms, Korg was a very civilized and kind-hearted individual. He was very kind to those who he considered friends, especially Miek, and even showed hospitality to complete strangers including Thor and Loki. He also appears to be quite articulate, as shown when he described in great detail his beliefs regarding Thor's attachment to Mjølnir. Korg is also very humorous, showcasing his humor in efforts to ease situations.
Powers and Abilities
- "You're made from rock."
- ―Thor and Korg
- Kronan Physiology: Kronans are an ancient race of rock-like humanoid beings, with superhuman abilities.
- Superhuman Strength: Korg possesses immense superhuman strength, beyond that of an average Asgardian, though not quite on par with that of Thor Odinson.
- Superhuman Durability: Korg's rock-like body is incredibly durable, though still vulnerable to blows from Hulk or from an opponent wielding Mjølnir.
- Combatant: Korg is a proficient combatant, being a veteran of the Grandmaster's Contest of Champions, surviving many gladiatorial matches. He is also able to take down dozens of Berserkers with his firearm.
- In the comics, Korg was part of a team named the "Warbound", that included Hulk and was headquartered on Sakaar. Korg first appeared in Journey into Mystery #83, the first Marvel comic to feature Thor.
Behind the Scenes
- Taika Waititi claimed that he based Korg's soft-spoken voice on Polynesian bouncers. "We wanted to change the idea of what a hulking guy made of rocks could be. He's huge and heavy, but with a light soul. We wanted to make him funny and a relatable entry point into this world. And Thor needs friends".
- Kevin Feige stated that Korg and Miek will return in the Marvel Cinematic Universe after Thor: Ragnarok, and he also discussed about a One-Shot about the two characters with Waititi.