Lucian was a sorcerer and a former member of the Masters of the Mystic Arts who joined the Zealots with the intention of defeating the Ancient One and bringing the inter-dimensional being known as Dormammu to Earth.
Disillusion with the Ancient One
Lucian was among the Masters of the Mystic Arts of Kamar-Taj enlisted by Kaecilius to be part of the Zealots and rebell against the sorceres aiming to find their own meaning within the Mystic Arts that the Ancient One was hiding from them.
Upon joining the Zealots, Lucian, among others, broke into Kamar-Taj and entered the library. The Zealots restrained the librarian, who was decapitated by Kaecilius. With access to the entire library, they retrieved a dark and forbidden tome known called the Book of Cagliostro, and tore out a page. Inscribed on it, was the details as to how to summon Dormammu and draw from his power. As they were leaving, the Ancient One approached them, demanding them to stop. Lucian, and the Zealots, fled, as the Ancient One chased them down through different cities and dimensions around the world.
Empowering the Zealots
Having stolen the Dormammu-summoning rituals from the Book of Cagliostro, Lucian, Kaecilius and the other Zealots all began to summon Dormammu for the first time. All four Zealots, positioned equidistantly around the page, made their first contact with Dormammu. Evidence of this contact could be seen upon Lucian's forehead, as this was the first time the Dormammu symbol appeared upon their faces, as well as the areas around their eyes darkened, acting as somewhat conduits to the Dark Dimension They performed this ritual in the Mirror Dimension, as with their newfound powers, they manipulated and warped the space around them dramatically.
Battle at the New York Sanctum
In order to allow Dormammu to consume Earth, and envelop it into the Dark Dimension, the Zealots had to take away the safeguard each Sanctum produced around the planet by effectively destroying all four buildings. With the Zealots moving onto the Sanctum New York Sanctum, having destroyed the London Sanctum, the only supposed line of defence against the Zealots was Daniel Drumm, the Master of the New York Sanctum.
Yet due to the previous destruction of the London Sanctum, Doctor Strange accidentally backed into a portal, while in Kamar-Taj, leading to the New York Sanctum. When the Zealots, they overpowered Drumm and killed him. Strange stepped up and challenged the Zealots. After a fight scene ensues, progressing through the upper floors of the Sanctum, Strange gradually overpowered the Zealots one by one. Lucian was flung through the Rotunda of Gateways, to a rainforest somewhere in the world, along with another Zealot, as Strange had only just figured out how to use the Rotunda several minutes ago. Having next imprisoned Kaecilius in the Crimson Bands of Cyttorak, Strange confronted Kaecilius about his actions. Little did Strange know, Kaecilius was only distracting Strange, as he was stabbed in the back by Lucian, who had quietly returned to the Sanctum.A secondary fight scene ensued between Lucian and an injured Doctor Strange. Moments before Lucian could kill Strange, his Cloak of Levitation came to his aid, by suffocating and thrashing Lucian against the wall. Strange thought Lucian was dead. Yet as he stumbled through a portal to the Metro-General Hospital, Lucian's astral form quickly followed.
Lucian's astral form floated through the portal created by Doctor Strange to the Metro-General Hospital. There, Strange was performing surgery on himself in his own astral form, alongside Christine Palmer. Lucian attempted to sneak up on Strange, yet Strange detected his presence, thus initiating a fight in the Astral Dimension. Lucian fought Strange in an incorporeal battle, as they phased through walls and objects.
During their duel, Palmer defibrillated Strange's physical form, which somehow amplified, or intensified his astral form to the extent that he was exuding large amounts of energy when his physical form was electrically charged. Using this to his advantage, Strange managed to focus this electrical amplification onto Lucian, effectively incinerating Lucian's astral form. Without the astral form, or the "soul", Lucian's physical form ceased to operate. Lucian died back in the New York Sanctum the moment his astral form was destroyed, indicating neither the astral nor the physical form can exist without the other.
Powers and Abilities
- Master Sorcerer: Lucian is one of the Masters of the Mystic Arts, possessing a considerable mastery of the mystic arts and with the help of numerous mystical artifacts and relics, in addition to his astral powers, Kaecilius is able to gain access to a multitude of mystical powers.
- Eldritch Magic Manipulation: Lucian is able to create, shape and manipulate Eldritch Magic.
- Teleportation: Using a Sling Ring, Lucian is able to open a fiery portal to another location, gaining ability to move tremendous distances instantaneously.
- Astral Projection: Lucian is capable of separating his astral spirit from his body, gaining access to the Astral Dimension and is able to and was able to have a duel with Strange in the Astral Dimension.
- Inter-Dimensional Travel: Using the same Sling Ring, Lucian can travel between different dimensions and universes, crossing over different planes of existence or travelling across various forms of reality.
- Dark Dimension Magic Manipulation: After performing the ritual to tap into the powers of the Dark Dimension, Lucian was able to run on walls and ceilings, totally disregarding gravity. He could also use his manipulation of space to conjure Space Shards.
- Martial Artist: Lucian demonstrating being highly trained combatant and martial artist, often incorporating acrobatics in his fighting. He was even able to use his fighting skill while in Astral Form, allowing him to kick Doctor Strange's Astral Form hard enough to stun it and briefly cause his heart to stop in his physical body.
- Sling Ring: A mystical object which enables the wearer to open a fiery portal to another location.
- Dormammu - Master
- Masters of the Mystic Arts
- In the comics, Lucian Aster was a sorcerer who fought Doctor Strange and the Defenders, and planned to resurrect and serve a being known as the Wild One.
Behind the Scenes
- ↑ Scott Derrickson says that Doctor Strange spans one year. While he goes on to explain that he thinks the film spans from one year's fall to the next year's fall, this does not work with other timeline evidence, not lining up with Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: Season 4 at all, and not particularly working with WHiH either. Derrickson goes on to say, "Don't hold me to this, because I haven't thought about this in a long time," allowing for leniency to make the timeline work. To fit with WHiH and Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., while also working with the depicted weather (see other references in 2016 and 2017 articles), the film spans 10 months - close to a year, but from May 2016 to March 2017.
- ↑ The Battle at the Hong Kong Sanctum was reversed internally by the Time Stone, but outside of the area of the incident, time would have continued normally, meaning people far away from the incident might have witnessed some events. Due to this, and the Zealots' appearance in the streets before the incident, rumors are now circulating about Hong Kong. In Lockup, Ellen Nadeer mentions the incident in Hong Kong as a recent reported rumor. The events of Lockup occur on April 2017 (see other references in the 2017 article). It snows during the Ancient One's death scene, meaning the climax cannot occur any later than mid-March at a push. Due to these reasons, and the movie supposedly spanning approximately a year, the climax of Doctor Strange is dated as March 2017.
- ↑ Doctor Strange Prelude - The Zealot
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 Doctor Strange