MacDonald Gargan is a professional criminal and one of Adrian Toomes' potential buyers. In the wake of an encounter with Spider-Man, Gargan vowed revenge against the wall crawler, seeking out new allies to help him kill Spider-Man.
Deal with Aaron Davis
During his long criminal lifestyle, Mac Gargan came into conflict with the CIA and NSA and piled up an extensive criminal record which had included homicide. During this time Gargan had also previously worked alongside Aaron Davis, although Davis claimed that Gargan was "crazy" and ceased working with him sometime before 2016, although he still kept tabs on Gargan, knowing that he was entering a new deal with the criminal Vulture on the Staten Island Ferry to buy the new Chitauri and Ultron based weapons from some of the Vulture's own men in secret.
Mac Gargan met Herman Schultz onboard the Staten Island Ferry in order to purchase alien technology from Adrian Toomes' Crew which he would then use for his own criminal plans. While Gargan was given information from Schultz about where to collect the weapons, he was unknowingly scanned by the Spider-Drone which then relayed all the information on Gargan's history to Spider-Man who was watching the entire transaction from the rooftop of the ferry.
While Gargan sent one of his own men to meet with Randy Vale and check over the Chitauri and Ultron based weapons, Schultz handed over the keys to the van for Gargan to take it away. However before Gargan could take the keys, Spider-Man used his Web-Shooters to snatch them away. Spider-Man attacked all the criminals while the surprised Gargan put up a fight, but was knocked off the edge of the ferry by Spider-Man who then used his webs to catch him mid-air and leave him just barely holding onto the ferry's edge.
While the Shocker was also webbed up, Spider-Man so subdued all of Gargan's allies. Despite holding on for dear life, Gargan was later knocked off the ferry when Adrian Toomes attacked while wearing his Vulture Exo-Suit and smashed into a car that lurched forwards into him, plunging Gargan into the water. He was soon recovered, heavily injured, and arrested by the FBI who had set up a sting operation to catch the black market dealings occurring around the city.
Revenge on Spider-Man
Having been successfully apprehended by the FBI in the aftermath of the Skirmish on the Staten Island Ferry, Gargan was then taken into jail. While walking along the corridors of the prison, Gargan smiled as he approached Adrian Toomes, who was also recently defeated by Spider-Man. Noting his surprise over being imprisoned together, Gargan assured Tomes that the result of their fight with Spider-Man was not his fault.
Gargan informed Toomes that he blamed Spider-Man for his injuries and that he had some friends on the outside who had come across Spider-Man and wanted their revenge. Gargan questioned that he heard Toomes had learned the identity of Spider-Man. Toomes lied to Gargan saying he didn't know his identity, stating that Spider-Man would be dead if he did, which Gargan seemed to accept before then leaving Toomes to talk to his wife and daughter in private.
- "Take a picture. Slice his throat. Put his head in the dryer."
- ―Mac Gargan
Gargan is a sadistic and dangerous criminal, being convicted with of multiple homicides. He is shown to hold a grudge, instantly plotting to kill Spider-Man for his involvement in his imprisonment.
- Adrian Toomes' Crew
- Aaron Davis/Prowler - Former Co-Worker
- In the comics, Mac Gargan was a private investigator hired by J.J. Jameson to learn how Peter Parker managed to get such sensational photos of Spider-Man. He later agreed to become the subject in an experiment which granted him superhuman powers similar to Spider-Man, although it also drove him insane, and brought to became the criminal known as Scorpion. He would later be bonded with the Venom symbiote, becoming the second incarnation of Venom.
- Gargan has a scorpion tattoo on his neck, referencing his comic book counterpart. This is also similar to his Ultimate Marvel counterpart who also had a scorpion tattoo on his neck to reference his mainstream counterpart despite also having no costume like his movie counterpart.
- In the mid credits scene of Spider-Man: Homecoming, Gargan claims to know people on the outside that would love to get their revenge against Spider-Man. This could possibly allude to the Sinister Six, a group of villains that team up to take down Spider-Man, which Vulture and Scorpion are both a part of.