- "You're not gonna kill me."
"Is that right?"
"Yeah, I know people. I'm an analyst. It's my job."
- ―Micro and Frank Castle
David Linus Lieberman is a former National Security Agency analyst and a former member of the Rising Tide who operates under the name Micro. A legendary hacker, Micro faked his own death to hide from his former agency and continue his work of exposure of the government's secret affairs. Seeking to return to his life, Micro recruited Frank Castle under the promise that they had mutual enemies. Micro helped Castle discover the Conspiracy which had led to the Massacre of his family, eventually learning that Castle was also betrayed and William Rawlins was responsible. As they closed in with their plans, Micro's own family was threatened by Rawlins and Billy Russo, forcing Micro out of the shadows as he and Castle managed to trick their enemies and finally kill them all, which allowed Lieberman to return to his old life with his family.
- "Junior year. I'm taking History of the French Novel. Sarah's in my class. Now, you gotta remember, I'm a bit of a player at this point in my life. But for some reason, Sarah's just aloof. For me, no way. Unapproachable. One night, I find myself at this wild, like, costume party. I'm a Popsicle. There's Sarah. And everybody's wasted. She's trashed. So, I work up the nerve and, uh, I talk to her. [...] Turns out she was, just, she was just shy. So we're talkin', go back to her place and we're both waiting for the other one to make the move, you know? And hours go by, and we're just talking and eating toast, and so much toast. And finally, like, 5:00 in the morning she kisses me. We've been together ever since."
- ―Micro to Frank Castle
During his junior year in college, David Lieberman took History of the French Novel. He was in the same class with woman named Sarah. Lieberman attempted to flirt with her, however, Sarah was unapproachable for him.
One night, Lieberman wear a Popsicle costume and came to costume party where he met Sarah again. All at the party was drunk, especially her. They get to talking and Sarah said that she wouldn't pay any attention to him just because she was shy. They got back to her place and both waiting for the other one to make the move. During several hours, Sarah and David talked and ate toast. At 5:00, Sarah finally kissed him and, according David, they had been together ever since.
For a month, Phil Coulson had Skye try to decrypt the symbols that John Garrett had written. She looked into the Rising Tide for help to no avail until Micro alerted Skye of a murder in Rhinebeck, New York, where the mysterious symbols were carved into the victim's corpse.
- "I was a, uh, NSA analyst. I was working on Afghanistan intelligence, which, uh... Maybe you know it's just an oxymoron because, uh our basic tactic is to pay anyone we can to tell tales. You know? "Hey, kid. Tell me a story, I'll give you some money". So they did, you know? And my job was to assess this shit pile for, uh, actionable intelligence. It was a monumental waste of my time. Till one day, uh, they sent me something interesting."
- ―Micro to Frank Castle
At his family's home, David and Sarah discussed about disk. Sarah asked why it was sent to him, to which he replied that this is his job as analyst and he can finally can do his job for the first time in five years. Sarah said that he should give it to his section chief and pass it up the line of command. Lieberman decided not to go around the chain of command and re-sent footage to Homeland Security agent Dinah Madani.
After it was revealed that it was David who was leaking the information on Kandahar, the Homeland Security sent out a hit squad lead by William Rawlins' ally Carson Wolf hit squad approaching behind him.
Meanwhile, Lieberman family drove through the city and were stick in traffic. He got out of the car and began to flee until he was corned on a pier. Wolf claim he had a gun and shot him in front of Sarah. He fell back into the river and the agents thought they killed him. However, it is revealed that it was his phone that saved him. Lieberman hid at the abandoned location, while Homeland deemed his as a traitor.
In 2015, Micro sent a footage to former Cerberus Squad member Frank Castle. Having found the one responsible for his family's death, and now he has found closure, Castle returned to his abandoned home with the goal to set it on fire. Before he torched the house he punched a photo of him and his former United States Armed Forces platoon just to remove the photo from the marker and retrieve a disk.
Interacting with Castle
- "You got the wrong guy."
"Yeah, I don't think so. Unless I'm not talking to Frank Castle? You know, let's not waste time. You're Frank Castle, right? Frank Castle, the dead man?"
"Makes two of us now."
"You're more right than you know. You're not the only ghost in this town, Frank."
- ―Frank Castle and Micro
For a several months, Lieberman hacked various agencies, companies and police departments, to extract any useful information. Following massacre of Gnucci Crime Family, Lieberman learned that Frank Castle involved, watched through nearby surveillance cameras. He managed to erase all footages from cameras and decided to contact with Castle.
Lieberman waited atop Graniteville Diner and phoned Castle through the landline. The two conversed briefly about Castle's whereabouts and telling him that he needed him. After Castle left the diner and tried to locate Lieberman, he discovered a gift of a cellphone for communication. Returning to his hideout, he watched his family from the cameras in their home.
Later, to his horror, Lieberman saw Castle who talked with his wife in front of house. Afraid, that Castle can harm his family in order to find him, Lieberman took his car to arrive to the house, arming himself with a handgun. Outside of the house, Lieberman made a call to Castle but no responce was recieved. Being nervous, he decided to came to the house but changed his mind when saw Castle and unharmed Sarah who left the house. Before they could see him, Lieberman drove away from the house and returned to the hideout. He reversed all footages from the cameras to make sure that Castle didn't touch his wife.
He attempted to track Castle down again but failed, because he shaved his beard and change his walk and surveillance cameras didn't recognized him. Later, while Castle visired Pete's Diner, Lieberman called him again and Castle responsed. While they talked, Lieberman prepared himself to leave and met Castle personally. Castle blamed him for putting his family in danger and informed him that Carson Wolf told him everything he needed, before Castle killed him. Castle arranged a meeting and explained that Lieberman need to move from the one location to another in order to make sure that he was not followed. Lieberman followed Castle's directions and the last was the Mount Zion Cemetery where he was "buried" after his fake death. Waiting nearby to his grave, Lieberman noted that someone is coming to his direction and pointed his gun at him. The man was Curtis Hoyle who informed Lieberman that Castle held him at the gunpoint and if Lieberman shoot him, he will be the next. When Lieberman asked where is Castle, Hoyle said that he decided not to coming up and noted that if Lieberman try to find Castle again, he will visit his wife. Then Hoyle left Lieberman and he decided to return to the hideout.
At the hideout, Lieberman placed his gun back underneath the desk and sat in his chair, unsure what to do. However, he soon met eyes with a living Castle, whom hid in the Lieberman's car trunk while Hoyle distracted him. Before he could say more, Lieberman was knocked unconscious, stripped down of all of his clothes, and bound to the chair by Castle.
During the torturous interrogation, the monitors had a set countdown. Initially, Micro warned Castle that the countdown led to a delayed bomb explosion, informing him that if he did not input a password, they would both die.
Castle lets Micro reset the countdown. However, Micro uses the distraction to inject Frank with heroin. Frank collapses. When he comes around, Micro tries to convince him that they need to team up.
Micro tells Frank that Cerberus is totally off the books. No record of it exists, meaning that it was not approved by Congress and therefore illegal. Frank agrees to work with Micro on one condition, the targets are all killed, with no exception or pleads for a trial, which Micro agrees to.
Micro informs Frank about the Homeland Security operation to take down the Greeks and the weapons shipment. Frank heads to a bodyshop where a gang is torturing two men. One is dead, but Frank takes out the gang and steals two vehicles, a sports car, and a van.
Micro begins to have second thoughts after seeing the aftermath of Frank's battle, but Frank refuses to let him off the hook. Micro arrives in the Mustang and they trade vehicles. Eventually, Dinah figures out the video is looped and heads out on her own. Dinah spots them and gives chase, but Frank blocks her and starts to play chicken with her.
Micro is annoyed at Castle's rescue of Madani because she now knows he is alive. Castle is angry at Micro for causing the crash in the first place. Castle leaves to go to the Lieberman Residence. Castle fixes Sarah Lieberman's headlight with Leo.
Curtis removes the arrow from Frank's shoulder and patches him up. He also berates Micro for dragging Frank into this mess when he was trying to turn his life around. Micro informs him that his friend is dead and Frank worries about making good on his promise to Gunner. Micro tells him that he has made arrangements for Gunner to receive a decent burial.
Castle and Micro plan their infiltration of the base where Morty Bennett is stationed. They plan to use him to get Agent Orange's name. Frank is worried about coming across a soldier who is only doing their duty and what he will have to do to complete the mission.
Micro and Frank talk because Micro sees an end to his self-exile. He hopes that his family can forgive him for pretending to be dead for a year. Frank tells him not to mention that he's been using cameras to watch them all that time.
- "I'm here because I hope I'm right and you're not one of 'em. I can give you the names of everyone involved in Kandahar. The CIA operation was off the books. It was, uh, totally illegal. The heroin was funding. Your guy Zubair, he caught wind of it, and, uh, they painted him as a terrorist, pulled him from his house, executed him."
"And you can prove all this?"
"Mm. I still have the video files. But you need Frank."
- ―Micro and Dinah Madani
Micro sat next to Madani while she had a drink at a bar and offered her another. He is dismissed by Madani as another random guy until Lieberman asked her about her condition since Stein's death; Lieberman then revealed a gun to her, identifying himself as Micro, the hacker who sent her Zubair's execution video. He revealed that he can provide her more names of those involved in Kandahar, including William Rawlins. When she pressed him to continue, he told her that she needs Castle's testimony, as he was present during the torture. However, only a few minutes later, the two watched, as the news reported on Castle, whom was identified through dashcam footage and called him the terrorist behind Senator Ori's attempted assassination.
- "My priority is my family. My wife. My son. You help me get 'em back, I'll give you what you want."
"Yeah, what do I want?"
"You want evidence proving William Rawlins killed Ahmad Zubair. You want a video. A video that I already sent you, which you carelessly managed to lose. A video that already got me killed once. [...] In the end. I want my family safe. Help me get them back, and I'll give you everything you need. Not before."
- ―Micro and Dinah Madani
hly skilled hac
To be added
Return to Family Life
Goodbyes with Frank Castle
To be added
To be added
- Master Hacker: Micro is a highly skilled hacker and one of the members of the Rising Tide hacktivist group. He was able to aid Frank Castle throughout their respective endeavors in clearing their identities and has kept surveillance over his family in his Micro's Hideout.
- Tactician: Micro has used his hacking ability as well as his knowledge of some technological gadgets to strategize thought-out plans while working alongside Castle. He has also constructed and executed a "fake-death" plan with Madani, so that he could be reunited with Sarah and his children.
- SIG-Sauer P250 Compact: Lieberman kept this handgun in his hideout in order to protect himself, and began to carry it while trying to contact with Frank Castle. Lieberman pulled the gun when Curtis Hoyle startled him, but returned to the hideout as Castle had planned, and placed the handgun in its hidden holster before Castle revealed himself. Castle subsequently took it from there, but returned it when both of them became partners, noting that the gun had not been properly maintained.
Lieberman subsequently carried it whenever he left the hideout and believed he should need, especially when he went to meet Dinah Madani behind Castle's back, intimidating her with the gun in order to make her listen to him.
- Micro's Drone: During their search for Gunner Henderson, Micro made use of a multi spectrum aerial drone to survey the wooded areas where he and Castle were located, especially when soldiers were confronting them. He would later use this same drone to aid Castle into infiltrating and escaping Fort Bryon to hack Morty Bennett's cellphone.
- Cellphone: Micro tends to utilize the use of cellular devices to communicate with Castle.
- Lieberman Residence: To be added
- Micro's Hideout: To be added
- Homeland Security Headquarters: To be added
|Appearances for David Lieberman|
In chronological order:
- In the comics, David Lieberman, also called Microchip, was the hacker and armorer of the Punisher, who eventually became his enemy.
- His password for his computer is "Zach@ndLeo" the names of his children.
- Lieberman's blood type is O-, as he claimed to be a "universal donor."
Behind the Scenes
- James Newman was a stunt double for Ebon Moss-Bachrach in the role of Micro.
- Micro in the Marvel Cinematic Universe is the second live-action incarnation of the character, following an incarnation portrayed by Wayne Knight.
- The Marvel Cinematic Universe's version of Micro is partially based on Edward Snowden, a former member of the CIA and NSA's consultant, who fled from the United States after he exposed of many global surveillance programs of the agency.
- Michael Nathanson originally auditioned for the role of Micro.