Project: Rebirth, also called Operation: Rebirth, Weapons Plus, the Bio-Tech Force Enhancement Program, and the Erskine Program, was a highly-classified United States government project, the goal of which was the creation of Super-Soldiers to be deployed in the war against the Axis Powers. Administered by the United States Army's Infantry Weapons Development Program, their first and only success was a man named Steve Rogers, who would go on to become the special operator and superhero known as Captain America.
- "What was Project: Rebirth's goal?"
"That's still classified to all but Omega clearance, Coulson. But to give you an idea of its importance, what Stark has is just a prototype...a reject. The final product was lost... Although you can bet your life we'll never stop looking for it."
- ―Phil Coulson and Nick Fury
Steve Rogers was chosen by Abraham Erskine to become a Super Soldier with the Super Soldier Serum. The test was successful, but Heinz Kruger shot Erskine and took the serum. After Erskine's death, Kruger ultimately committed suicide with a cyanide pill.
The serum was lost, as the vial Kruger had was destroyed in his flight from Rogers; the project was disbanded. Blood samples were taken from Rogers by scientists and Peggy Carter in hopes of recovering the serum;of the twelve samples taken, one was given to Howard Stark.
Legacy of Project Rebirth
In 2016, after Steve Rogers went rogue, President Matthew Ellis appointed Brigadier General Glenn Talbot to find a new enhanced individual to be be the public face of the United States of America in the race of the enhanced assets. Talbot took inspiration from Project Rebirth to start "Project Patriot", creating a enhancement serum based on a modified confiscated solution to use on Jeffrey Mace, an American journalist that was revered as an hero following his actions in the Bombing of the Vienna International Centre.
|Appearances for Project Rebirth|
In chronological order:
- In The Incredible Hulk the Super Soldier Program was labeled "Weapons Plus". In the comics, Project Rebirth was the first Weapon Plus program, labeled as "Weapon I", that continued to create projects over the decades.
- Howard Stark stated his desire to name the operation "Brooklyn Project", to contrast with the Manhattan Project and let Robert Oppenheimer and his crew in Los Alamos know they had competition. In an ironic twist, Stark would wind up working with Oppenheimer on the Manhattan Project later in the war.
- Before Captain America was rediscovered in 2012, the specifics of his creation (Project Rebirth itself) were highly classified. For example, within S.H.I.E.L.D., only Omega-level personnel knew the full details. To the rest of the world, he was a war hero and icon of American wartime propaganda with an origin shrouded in mystery.