Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Project: Rebirth, also called Operation: Rebirth, Weapons Plus, and the Bio-Tech Force Enhancement Program, was a highly-classified United States government project, the goal of which was the creation of Super-Soldiers to be deployed in the war against the Axis Powers. Administered by the United States Army's Infantry Weapons Development Program, their first and only success was a man named Steve Rogers, who would go on to become the special operator and superhero known as Captain America.
- "What was Project: Rebirth's goal?"
"That's still classified to all but Omega clearance, Coulson. But to give you an idea of its importance, what Stark has is just a prototype...a reject. The final product was lost... Although you can bet your life we'll never stop looking for it."
- ―Phil Coulson and Nick Fury
Steve Rogers was chosen by Abraham Erskine to become a Super Soldier with the Super Soldier Serum. The test was successful, but Heinz Kruger shot Erskine and took the serum. After Erskine's death, Kruger ultimately committed suicide with a cyanide pill.
The serum was lost, as the vial Kruger had was destroyed in his flight from Rogers; the project was disbanded. Blood samples were taken from Rogers by scientists and Peggy Carter in hopes of recovering the serum;of the twelve samples taken, one was given to Howard Stark.
In chronological order:
- Agent Carter
- Iron Man: Security Measures (mentioned)
- In The Incredible Hulk the Super Soldier Program was labeled "Weapons Plus". In the comics, Project Rebirth was the first Weapon Plus program, labeled as "Weapon I", that continued to create projects over the decades.
- Howard Stark stated his desire to name the operation "Brooklyn Project", to contrast with the Manhattan Project and let Robert Oppenheimer and his crew in Los Alamos know they had competition. In an ironic twist, Stark would wind up working with Oppenheimer on the Manhattan Project later in the war.
- Before Captain America was rediscovered in 2012, the specifics of his creation (Project Rebirth itself) were highly classified. For example, within S.H.I.E.L.D., only Omega-level personnel knew the full details. To the rest of the world, he was a war hero and icon of American wartime propaganda with an origin shrouded in mystery.