The Quantum Realm is an alternate dimension only accessible through tremendous shrinking and mystical transportation using a Sling Ring or magical energy. Objects whose growth is manipulated by Pym Particles may gain access to the Quantum Realm if shrunk to a small enough level that transcends subatomic shrinking. In the Quantum Realm, space and time are believed to be irrelevant.
Access to the Quantum Realm was finally realized by scientist Doctor Hank Pym through the use of Pym Particles, particles of an extra-dimensional nature that are capable of altering the size of beings or objects. Janet van Dyne, Pym's wife and the first person to bear the mantle of Wasp, disappeared into the Quantum Realm after sacrificing her life to disable a Soviet nuclear missile. Janet van Dyne became a resident of the quantum realm through this sacrifice. Following this event, Pym dedicated himself to researching the Quantum Realm, though he was unable to generate concrete results or information.
Escaping the Quantum RealmAfter his battle with Darren Cross, Scott Lang was briefly left trapped in the Quantum Realm, but managed to escape by altering the Ant-Man Suit's mechanisms; replacing the shrinking regulator with an enlarging one by installing a blue Pym Particles Disk in his regulator. Lang claimed to have no recollection of what he experienced there however, much to Pym's disappointment.
Meeting the Ancient One
Nature and Structure
The Quantum Realm is said by Pym to be a largely unexplored dimension, about which scientists currently know very little. Hank Pym also says the concepts of time and space become irrelevant when entering the realm, and whoever tries to explore it may become trapped "for eternity".
Scott Lang's incursion into the Quantum Realm began on a microscopic level, then entered atomic size, later dissolving into pure energy and waves, then in a fractal-like reality where the shrinking person meets an infinite number of mirror images of themselves (a possible indication of the "soul" concept), and ending in a weightless dark void with pockets of dim light.
- In the comics, the Quantum Realm is known as the Microverse, which consists of many different dimensions all accessible through the same means as they are in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Notably, the Microverse was also home to the Micronauts, a superhero team.
- Wasp was also trapped in the Microverse, during the time of her supposed death in Secret Invasion, before being discovered by Hank Pym. In the film, Wasp was glimpsed, when Ant-Man entered the Quantum Realm.
- Marvel Studios cannot use the name "Microverse" as it is packaged with the Micronauts film rights that are with Paramount. Dr. Spyridon Michalakis, the film's scientific consultant, coined the new name.
- Despite being called a realm by Hank Pym, the Quantum Realm should not be confused with the Nine Realms, a number of distant planets connected to one another via Yggdrasil. The term "realm" is merely a figure of speech; in fact, the Quantum Realm is rather a dimension.
- The depiction of the Quantum Realm in Ant-Man is based on the former Disneyland attraction Adventure Thru Inner Space.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Ant-Man
- ↑ Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: 3.01: Laws of Nature
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Doctor Strange
- ↑ Doctor Strange Director Confirms Ant-Man Connection in His Film
- ↑ ANT-MAN's PEYTON REED Reveals MICROVERSE Connection & Storyline Adaptation Source
- ↑ Peyton Reed Takes Jeremy Into The Quantum Realm Of Making ANT-MAN!
- ↑ Ant-Man Could Destroy Superman, Says Quantum Physics
- ↑ ANT-MAN Set Visit: Kevin Feige Talks Expanding Mythology and More