- "Give me a break, Barton. I had no idea they'd put you here, come on."
"Yeah, well, you knew they'd put us somewhere, Tony."
"Yeah, but not some Supermax floating ocean pokey, you know. This place is for maniacs, it's a place for-"
"Criminals. Criminals, Tony. I think that's the word you're looking for. Right? It didn't use to mean me. Or Sam, or Wanda. But here we are."
- ―Tony Stark and Clint Barton
The Raft is an underwater prison created for the sole purpose of detaining and incarcerating enhanced and/or superpowered individuals.
As the Clash of the Avengers ended, Falcon, Scarlet Witch, Hawkeye and Ant-Man captured by Iron Man's team and taken to the Raft for working outside the law. Tony Stark flew to the Raft to tell Sam Wilson that he believes Steve Rogers' story about Helmut Zemo. Tony landed on the raft and was greeted by Thaddeus Ross. Stark watched on a monitor showing Maximoff in her cell. Stark then made his way to where his former allies were being held. Tony was then mocked by Clint Barton calling him 'the futurist', but Stark tells Barton that they shouldn't be in there as the Raft was built for maniacs and criminals, which Barton claimed that they are all now. Stark then walked past Scott Lang who said that you can never trust a Stark which Stark came back by not knowing who he is.
Tony Stark continued to make his way to Sam Wilson to ask where Steve Rogers is so he can help him. Wilson asked how Rhodes was after his crash. Stark told Wilson that he believed Rogers and that he needed his help to tell him where Rogers and Barnes had gone. Wilson told Stark and he left to go to Siberia. As Stark was leaving, Thaddeus Ross asked if they said anything, which Stark lied about and made his way to Siberia.
On the spin-off to Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. "Slingshot", in the episode "John Hancock" the Raft is mentioned. The Inhuman Elena “Yo-Yo” Rodriguez was threatened, by Director Mace, to be sent there if she went against the Sokovia Accords to seek revenge for her cousin. She then went on to say she doesn't like boats to which Director Mace says it's "like a floating prison".
- In the comics, the Raft is an island prison for super-powered criminals located near Ryker's Island.
- This version of the Raft also replaces Prison 42, a massive prison located in the Negative Zone used by Iron Man, Yellowjacket and Mister Fantastic to contain non-registered superhumans as they waited for their trials in the original "Civil War" storyline.
- The 2016 X-Men series film Deadpool had a deleted scene in which the villain Ajax is transported out of a prison called "The Raft". Due to copyright issues with the prison name, the scene was removed from the final cut.