- "I've spent years, in a haze, trying to forget my past. Sakaar seemed like the best place to drink, and to forget, and to die. One day."
On Sakaar, time flows much faster than most other worlds. This was shown when Loki was tossed onto Sakaar only seconds before Thor but experienced a passage of several weeks before Thor arrived and the Grandmaster says he would be "millions of years old" compared to the outside world.
Trapped on Sakaar
- "Fear not, for you are found. You are home, and there is no going back. No one leaves this place. But what is this place? The answer in Sakaar. Surrounded by cosmic gateways, Sakaar lives on the edge of the known and unknown. It is the collection point for all lost and unloved things. Like you. But here on Sakaar, you are significant. You are valuable. Here, you are loved."
- ―Sakaar Computer
When the Goddess of Death Hela returned from her banishment, she forcefully cast out her brothers Thor and Loki while on the Bifrost and they ended up on Sakaar. Loki arrived first and befriended with the Grandmaster while Thor only came weeks after his brother and was captured by Scrapper 142 to be sold to the Grandmaster, who sent Thor to fight in the Sakaaran Arena with the other gladiators. There, Thor met and befriended Korg and Miek. He also had to fight against the Hulk, who refused to return to his human form. Although Thor was on the cusp of defeating the Hulk, the Grandmaster activated Thor's Obedience Disk so that he would lose the fight.
Thor met with Hulk in his apartments and after Valkyrie came to visit them, Thor stole the device controlling his Obedience Disk and tried to escape from Sakaar using the Quinjet which had brought the Hulk. Although the Hulk damaged the Quinjet, a video message from Black Widow had him turn into Bruce Banner. Thor and Banner then resolved to find a way to escape from Sakaar.
As they needed help to escape from Sakaar, Valkyrie went to find Korg in the Sakaaran Arena and provided him with guns so he could start a revolution against the Grandmaster. While the Sakaaran Guards fought against the rebel, Thor stole the Commodore, the Grandmaster's leisure ship, after leaving Loki unconscious in the garage following another attempt from the God of Mischief to betray his brother.
An intense pursuit in Sakaar's sky ensued as the Revengers were chased by the Sakaaran Guards. During the pursuit, the Warsong, Valkyrie's spacecraft, was destroyed, but she survived the blast and she and Thor destroyed several Sakaaran spaceships while Banner, flying the Commodore, managed to get rid of Topaz. Thor and Valkyrie joined him on the Commodore and the three of them fled Sakaar through the Devil's Anus. Meanwhile, Loki was found by the Sakaaran rebels and quickly became their new leader, commandeering the Statesman and leaving for Asgard as well.
Having remained hidden on Sakaar, the Grandmaster was eventually found by rebels, although he tried to convince them that they should thank him as if it were not for him, they would have had nothing to rebel against.
- In the comics, Sakaar was near a single wormhole called the Great Portal. Hulk was exiled to Sakaar by the Illuminati, where he became a powerful gladiator and led an uprising against the Red King, the ruler of the planet.
- There is no vegetation on Sakaar, although different mushroom cultures grows on the waste plains.
- The buildings of Sakaar are made up of an assortment of scrap metals.
Behind the Scenes
- Taika Waititi stated that he wanted to evoke Jack Kirby's distinct art style in the buildings of Sakaar.
- On the Grandmaster's building, alongside Hulk, there are sculptures of Man-Thing, Beta Ray Bill, Ares, Bi-Beast and the Dark-Crawler, previous champions of the Contest of Champions.