- "I'm Agent Sam Koenig. Coulson sent me."
- ―Sam Koenig
Working for Phil Coulson
In his youth, Sam Koenig, as well as all his brothers, was picked on by his older sister LT Koenig. He and Billy Koenig worked as technicians in the original Life-Model Decoy program.. Sam stayed in a S.H.I.E.L.D. Safe House where he was given the assignment of finding Robert Gonzales so that Phil Coulson could recruit him back to S.H.I.E.L.D. after the HYDRA Uprising. Antoine Triplett was concerned when Billy Koenig constantly discussed with him the brothers he had other than Eric Koenig whom Triplett had previously met.
One morning in 2014, soon after Phil Coulson became Director of S.H.I.E.L.D., Sam was awoken by a phone call from his brother Billy Koenig after a long night of playing video games, and was informed that Coulson would be meeting him a little earlier than expected. Koenig got dressed, choosing a specific lanyard and pair of socks, and greeted Coulson when he arrived at the S.H.I.E.L.D. Safe House where Koenig lived.
Koenig told the new director that he was unable to locate Robert Gonzales, but he would continue to look. Koenig gave Coulson a S.H.I.E.L.D. Lanyard, as he wondered if the other agents, particularly Melinda May, still believed that Coulson was traveling to London to recruit others. Coulson told Koenig that he did not have a lot of time, but he wanted an update on the project. Koenig revealed that he named the project Theta Protocol as Coulson went inside to overview the repairs being made to the Helicarrier.
When Raina was being pursued by Daniel Whitehall's operatives, Koenig stood round a corner with an umbrella in his hand beckoning her, who was confused as it was his brother who had told her to go around the corner. He told her he was with S.H.I.E.L.D. and had her hug him; Koenig then held the Cloaking Umbrella over them, shielding them from the view of the HYDRA agents. Once they were gone, he introduced himself and told Raina that she would need a S.H.I.E.L.D. Lanyard.
While Billy updated Phil Coulson on the extraction of Raina and their report on the HYDRA agents, Sam remained off camera making jokes about how awesome Agent 33's facial scars were and being excited at the chance to meet Melinda May. While walking through the street, Koenig was followed by a single HYDRA assassin, but before he came too close, Lance Hunter knocked him out. As they made their exit Koenig complimented Hunter on his attack while Hunter mistook him for his brother Billy, who Sam claimed to be the shorter brother. Koenig later teamed up with Hunter and May to drive into two more HYDRA agents with a van while extracting Raina and Skye.
Facing Grant Ward
Back onboard the Bus, Koenig was joined by Antoine Triplett and Billy, Koenig then joined their conversation about Agent 33 and mocked the HYDRA assassin about her robotic voice. When Triplett saw the brothers together he asked how many of them there were. The brothers both jokingly said thirteen and took great pleasure in Triplett's shocked reaction, noting that the joke surprised people every time they used it, but never gave a definitive answer to his question.
The Bus was suddenly surrounded and intercepted by four HYDRA-controlled Quinjets. As the team tried to work out what was happening, a message came through from Daniel Whitehall ordering them to surrender or be shot from the sky. When Grant Ward boarded the Bus to retrieve Raina and capture Skye, Koenig joined the rest of the agents in drawing his gun and aiming it at Ward in an attempt to protect the Bus. When Ward promised not to hurt the occupants if they cooperated, Koenig asked him what he promised Eric before killing him. Though the twins had Ward in a crossfire, they decided not to shoot.
Activating Theta Protocol
Upon arrival in Puerto Rico, Koenig received from Triplett four explosive devices, that were used by the Howling Commandos, to destroy the Kree City; they were mechanical, instead of electronic, so they would not be affected by the city's dampening field.
When Triplett asked Koenig where his brother went, Sam gave a cryptic message that Billy needed to recharge his batteries; Triplett did not appreciate the response. As Phil Coulson prepared for the Battle for the Kree City, he told Koenig to return to the Playground. If things went south, Coulson wanted him to activate the Theta Protocol. Koenig reluctantly agreed.
Hiding the Darkhold
Facing the Watchdogs
To be added
Seeking Coulson's Help
To be added
To be added
- Walther PPK/S: The Koenigs used a Walther PPK/S as their sidearm. Sam used his gun to point at Grant Ward when he kidnapped Skye on the Bus, and had to convince his brother Billy when he was about to kill Ward to avenge his other brother Eric.
- Cloaking Umbrella: Sam Koenig used the Cloaking Umbrella to hide Raina when she was being pursued by HYDRA operatives. Given that Daniel Whitehall had previously threatened to kill her, Raina trusted Koenig enough to hide under the umbrella, that activated cloaking technology much like the one used in the Quinjets.
- Eric Koenig † - Brother and S.H.I.E.L.D. Colleague
- Billy Koenig - Brother and S.H.I.E.L.D. Colleague
- Thurston Koenig - Brother
- LT Koenig - Sister and S.H.I.E.L.D. Colleague
- S.H.I.E.L.D. - Former Relationsips
- Bobbi Morse - Former Colleague
- Lance Hunter - Former Colleague
In chronological order:
- Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
Behind the Scenes
- ↑ Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: 4.12: Hot Potato Soup
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: 2.20: Scars
- ↑ Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: 2.01: Shadows
- ↑ Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: 2.09: Ye Who Enter Here
- ↑ Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: 2.10: What They Become
- ↑ Comic-Con: The New Characters Joining Marvel’s ‘Agents of SHIELD’
- ↑ Comic Con actual video