The Sanctum Sanctorum in New York City is one of the three bases of the Masters of the Mystic Arts alongside the London Sanctum and the Hong Kong Sanctum. It is used to store and secure mystic items such as the Dark Scepter and the Cloak of Levitation.
This section needs a rewrite
Retrieving the Dark Scepter
As the Zealots attacked London Sanctum, Stephen Strange entered Sanctum Sanctorum through its portal on Kamar-Taj. He witnessed the Zealots killing Drumm before taking on them. During the fight, one of the relics stored there, the Cloak of Levitation, was released and started to defend Strange. Strange immobilized Zealot leader Kaecilius with the Crimson Bands of Cyttorak, and as he talked to him was attacked by Lucian who stabbed him using a Space Shard. As the Cloak kept the Zealot behind, Strange created a portal to Metro-General Hospital seeking the help of Christine Palmer.
Battle at the Mirror Dimension
Once Strange returned, he found Karl Mordo and the Ancient One assessing the damages, with Kaecilius already gone. The Ancient One invited Strange to become the new Master to replace the now deceased Daniel Drumm, but he refused. However, once Strange had defeated Dormammu, Strange accepted the task and moved into the Sanctum.
Drinking with ThorSeveral months into his time as the Sanctum Sanctorum's guardian, Doctor Strange received a visit from Thor, to discuss why Thor brought Loki to Earth once more.
- In the comics, the Sanctum has served as the base for both the Defenders and the New Avengers.
- "Sanctum sanctorum" is a Latin translation of the biblical term "Holy of Holies".
- The Sanctum Sanctorum is one of various landmarks featured in the non-canon video game The Incredible Hulk.
- The room in which the relics are kept is the Chamber of Relics.
- The room in which there are doorways to other parts of the world is the Rotunda of Gateways. The doors are used to spread the sorcerers' influence around the world.