Chan Ho Yin was a Hong Kong street magician who developed pyrokinetic powers, and under encouragement from Raina, he joined the Centipede Project, adopting the name Scorch. However, when he went rogue, he was subdued and killed by S.H.I.E.L.D. agent Melinda May.
Put on the Index
Chan Ho Yin was a native of Hong Kong, China. Taking after his idol, Harry Houdini, Chan made his living performing street magic for locals and tourists. Chan realized that he had developed pyrokinetic abilities when a dish towel burst into flames in his hands. The origin of Chan's abilities is still under investigation, but he was a nearby resident when the decommissioned Wan Tai nuclear power plant caught fire. There are no other known cases of powers developing near Wan Tai.
Chan came to the attention of S.H.I.E.L.D. when informants saw him using his abilities in his street show, lighting a torch with his pinkie. S.H.I.E.L.D. listed him on The Index, and assigned him a case worker, Hong Kong based Agent Quan Chen, who recommended that Chan not use his abilities in public. Chan violated this arrangement on at least three different occasions, claiming that S.H.I.E.L.D. was hampering his "artistic expression".
Recruited by Raina
After being captured by Raina, Scorch was taken to a nearby lab, where he was injected with Extremis, a component to the Centipede Serum, by a doctor named Debbie. Extremis enhanced his abilities, and due to special heat-resistant platelets in his blood, he did not overheat or detonate like other users of the serum. Having gotten what they needed from him, Debbie ordered his blood be drained from his body in order for it to be replicated to stabilize the Extremis element of the Centipede Serum. A S.H.I.E.L.D. extraction team led by Quan Chen and Agent Phil Coulson came to rescue him.
Scorch was growing more mentally unstable by the minute (a side-effect of the serum as the same thing happened to Michael Peterson) and attacked the S.H.I.E.L.D. agents, killing Quan by blasting a hole into him. Coulson attempted to shoot tranquilizer darts at him, but he vaporized them on approach. He then escaped from the lab. Upon confronting Debbie, Scorch incinerated her reducing her to ashes within seconds while Raina escaped.
Overload and Death
- "Mr. Yin, we don't want to hurt you... but we have to."
- ―Phil Coulson
Seeing no other option to subdue Scorch non-lethally, Coulson ordered Agent Melinda May to sneak up behind him when he was distracted and overdose him with Extremis, which caused him to overheat and detonate, killing him.
- "我祖父常说每个人都是谜。有些人怀有美丽的秘密。另一些则隐藏深色的。他认为, 了解一个人真正本性的唯一方法就是刺穿他的外壳, 凝视内在。"
- ―Chan Ho Yin
Chan Ho Yin craved fame, believing that it was his birthright to be as famous as other Enhanced. After he was injected with the Centipede Serum, he took the alias "Scorch", and became a hostile individual, taking sadistic pleasure in murdering Debbie.
Powers and Abilities
- Fire Manipulation: Chan Ho Yin had the power to create and manipulate small flames, usually using his powers as part of his street magic performances. However, the injection of the Centipede Serum greatly enhanced his powers, and using the codename "Scorch", he became able to create stronger burst of flames, powerful enough to burn a hole in a person's chest or burn another to ashes. He also used his powers in a defensive manner, creating a shield of flames around him that was able to melt the bullets shot at him.
- Fire Immunity: Chan Ho Yin was immune to his own powers due to special heat-resistant platelets in his blood. However, after being injected with Centipede Serum, a Centipede scientist removed some of those platelets, resulting in him losing this immunity.
- Multilingualism: Chan Ho Yin spoke fluent Chinese and English.
In chronological order:
- Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
- In the comics, there are many characters that use the "Scorch" codename. Among them are Tommy Ng, a pyrokinetic mutant; Ross Jonas, former Air Force Major mutated by adrenalin taken from Prime Skrull; and a former member of A.R.E.S.
Behind the Scenes
- Marvel.com originally listed the character as Renshu Tseng.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: 1.05: Girl in the Flower Dress
- ↑ My grandfather often said that every man is a mystery. Some men harbor beautiful secrets. Others hide darker ones. He believed the only way to know a man's true nature is to pierce his outer shell, and gaze within.