Years ago, Bill Fisk borrowed money from Don Rigoletto to run for city council; he saw that as the ticket to living the lifestyle he wanted for himself, his wife Marlene, and their son Wilson. Fisk lost the election, but when Bernie Walker started destroying his campaign signs, Fisk used him as a lesson for Wilson not to allow others to hold him down or make him afraid. Upon returning home, Bill beat Marlene, blaming her and Wilson for his defeat. Wilson killed Bill by shattering his skull with a hammer; Marlene then cut his body apart with a saw, put it in several garbage bags, and had Wilson dump the remains in the river over the course of the next week.
In the present, Fisk has a meeting with Nobu Yoshioka about the death of Black Sky. James Wesley, acting as translator, does not like how Yoshioka speaks to Fisk, but Fisk tells his friend that Yoshioka is a "necessary evil" that they will tolerate.
Fisk learns that Detective Christian Blake has awakened from his coma and hires Detective Carl Hoffman to kill his friend for over thirty years. After Hoffman gives Blake an injection, the masked man enters Blake's hospital room and incapacitates him. Though too late to save Blake, the masked man listens to what he has to say about Wilson Fisk.
Meanwhile, Karen Page and Foggy Nelson have revealed to Matt Murdock that they are investigating Union Allied Construction with the help of Ben Urich from the New York Bulletin. Murdock is livid because the two are exposing themselves to danger, but he agrees to help if they follow his rules. Nelson weakly protests, but accepts Murdock's leadership.
The next day, Madame Gao arrives at Wilson Fisk's Penthouse. She reveals that she knows that Fisk can speak both Japanese and Mandarin and does not need Wesley as a translator. Gao tells Fisk to get his house in order or she will deal with the other cartel members without him. After she leaves, Fisk has a fit of anger.
Later, Wesley brings Vanessa Marianna to Fisk; she asks him to open up to her about his difficulties. The two discuss Fisk's past before they consummate their relationship.
During a thunderstorm, the masked man meets with Urich, asking him to reveal Fisk as the one destroying Hell's Kitchen. The two agree that exposing Fisk might slow his progress.
The next morning, Urich writes an expose on Wilson Fisk; however, before he can send it to his editor for printing, Fisk has a press conference, saying that the masked man is a terrorist while Fisk is trying to change the city for the better. Murdock yells in fury.
- Charlie Cox as Matt Murdock/Daredevil
- Deborah Ann Woll as Karen Page
- Elden Henson as Foggy Nelson
- Toby Leonard Moore as James Wesley
- Vondie Curtis-Hall as Ben Urich
- Bob Gunton as Leland Owlsley
- Ayelet Zurer as Vanessa Marianna
- Vincent D'Onofrio as Wilson Fisk
- Domenick Lombardozzi as Bill Fisk
- Angela Reed as Marlene Vistain
- Cole Jensen as Young Wilson Fisk
- Keenan Jolliff as Bernie Walker
- Matt Gerald as Melvin Potter
- Wai Ching Ho as Madame Gao
- Peter Shinkoda as Nobu Yoshioka
- Chris Tardio as Detective Christian Blake
- Daryl Edwards as Detective Carl Hoffman
- Royce Johnson as Sergeant Brett Mahoney
- New York City, New York
- Asia (mentioned)
- Assassination of Christian Blake
- Assassination of Bill Fisk (flashback)
- Attack on Black Sky (mentioned)
- Wooden Sticks
- Za! Cola (flashback)
To be added
- Nelson and Murdock
- New York City Police Department
- WHiH World News
- WNEX New York
- Union Allied Construction
- Confederated Global Investments
- Westmeyer-Holt Contracting
- New York Bulletin
- Russian Mafia (mentioned)
- Hand (mentioned)
- Yakuza (mentioned)
- Triads (mentioned)
- Elena Cardenas
- Black Sky
- Anatoly Ranskahov
- Vladimir Ranskahov
- Don Rigoletto
- John Healy
- Armand Tully
- Lee Owlsley
- Mitchell Ellison
- Nancy Drew
|Brown Sugar||The Rolling Stones||
|Unaccompanied Cello Suite No. 1 in G Major, BWV 1007: Prélude||Yo-Yo Ma|