The Skrulls are a scientific, militaristic, and technologically advanced race of extraterrestrial reptilian humanoids that are capable of shapeshifting.
The Skrulls were known for their shapeshifting abilities, making them hard to recognize if they were working undercover. That led to the development of a Skrull detector technology. Shortly after the Battle of Greenwich one black market trader on Conjunction was selling Skrull detectors for ten units apiece.
- In the comics, the Skrulls are a race of alien shapeshifters bent on invading Earth as an advantage in their prolonged war with the Kree. One of their major feats was to replace many of Earth's heroes with Skrull operatives in what was called the Secret Invasion.
- In the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. episode Eye-Spy, Skrull writing appeared along the Words of Creation on a chalkboard in Todorov Building.
- In Guardians of the Galaxy and Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, the Skrull alphabet from the comics is used on various computer screens.
Behind the Scenes
- The film rights to the Skrulls are co-owned by 20th Century Fox and Marvel Studios, similar to the rights of the Watchers, Quicksilver, and Scarlet Witch. However, certain Skrulls and Watchers characters were owned completely by Fox such as Kl'rt and Uatu.
- In one of the drafts for The Avengers, the Skrulls would have been the main villain, but it was opted to use the Chitauri instead due to their simpler background.
- James Gunn considered implementing the Skrulls in one of the Guardians of Galaxy movies, but it did not work out.