|For other uses, see Sovereign (disambiguation)|
- "Every citizen is born exactly as designed by the community. Impeccable, both physically and mentally. We control the DNA of our progeny, germinating them in birthing pods."
The Sovereign are a highly advanced, genetically engineered galactic race who live on the collective of planets of the same name.
This section requires expansion
Hiring the Guardians
- "Careful what you say around these folks. They are easily offended. The cost of transgression is death."
Chasing the Guardians
- "What is the delay, Admiral?"
"High Priestess, the batteries... they are exceptionally combustible, they could destroy the entire fleet."
"How concerned are you about the slight against our people? We hired them and they steal from us? It is heresy of the highest order."
"All command modules, fire with the intent to kill.""
- ―Ayesha and the Sovereign Admiral
After paying the Guardians for killing the Abilisk with Nebula, the high priestess Ayesha asked their leader, Peter Quill, about his heritage. After being paid a rude remark by Rocket Raccoon, several Sovereign advanced to arrest the Guardians. After the Guardians had left, the Sovereign realized that Rocket had stolen several Anulax Batteries. With this, they activated and dispatched the Omnicrafts to attack the Guardians.
Engaging in a massive space battle with the Milano, all but one of the Drones were eventually destroyed. The last drone was blown up by Drax the Destroyer, although not without the Milano suffering heavy damage.
The Sovereign were contacted by the Ravager Taserface, telling them the coordinates to Yondu Udonta and the Guardians of the Galaxy. He told them to inform Yondu that he was the one who tipped them off. When he told them his name, however, the Sovereign just broke out laughing.
The Sovereign followed up on Taserface's tip and tracked the Guardians to Ego. Entering the planet's core, the Drones attacked the Guardians, heavily damaging their ship under heavy fire. Rocket caused the laser drills to rearrange themselves to fire on the Sovereign, only for the power to cut out due to a hit to the engine. Nebula plugged her cybernetics into the battery to repower the ship. Rocket then fired on the Sovereign, destroying the entire fleet. The Laser Drill was destroyed by a final shot from the last ship, causing Rocket, Yondu, Groot and Nebula to bail out.
Next step in Evolution
This section needs a rewrite
- The Sovereign share elements in common with different Marvel Comics characters:
- The Enclave, a group of Earth scientists with the goal of creating a benevolent technocracy on Earth, who are responsible for the creation of Ayesha and Adam Warlock.
- The Universal Church of Truth, a religious space empire who worshipped the Magus and exterminated anyone who rejected the Church's beliefs, like as the entire Zen-Whoberi population.
- The Sovereign are created in pods, which is a direct reference to Adam Warlock and Ayesha, and their birth through cocoons.