- ―Stan Lee's trademark quote
Stan Lee, also known as Stan The Man, born Stanley Lieber, is one of the first and most prolific writers/creators of the Marvel Universe. Along with such greats as Jack Kirby and Steve Ditko, Lee created Iron Man, Hulk, Thor, Black Widow, Hawkeye, the Avengers, Spider-Man, Nick Fury, S.H.I.E.L.D., Daredevil, Groot, and many other well known characters.
He portrayed the Watcher Informant in Iron Man, The Incredible Hulk, Iron Man 2, Thor, Captain America: The First Avenger, The Avengers, Iron Man 3, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., Thor: The Dark World, Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Guardians of the Galaxy, Agent Carter, Daredevil, Avengers: Age of Ultron, Ant-Man, Captain America: Civil War, Doctor Strange, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, Spider-Man: Homecoming, Thor: Ragnarok, and the two upcoming films Black Panther and Avengers: Infinity War.
He also made a cameo appearance in the music video Guardians Inferno.
He served as a executive producer on Iron Man, The Incredible Hulk, Iron Man 2, Thor, Captain America: The First Avenger, The Avengers, Iron Man 3, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., Thor: The Dark World, Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Guardians of the Galaxy, Agent Carter, Daredevil, Avengers: Age of Ultron, Ant-Man, Captain America: Civil War, Doctor Strange, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 and Spider-Man: Homecoming.
He personally wrote the tie-in comic Captain America: Evil Lurks Everywhere.
Stan Lee has played small parts in every Marvel Cinematic Universe film and TV series to date. These cameos were revealed in Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 to be the same person, the Watcher Informant.
- Iron Man - Himself, mistaken for Hugh Hefner by Tony Stark.
- The Incredible Hulk - A man poisoned by a drink laced with the Hulk's blood.
- Iron Man 2 - Larry King, mistaken for Larry King by Tony Stark.
- Thor - Man who tries to move Thor's hammer using his truck.
- Captain America: The First Avenger - An elderly general.
- The Avengers - A man being interviewed on television who didn't believe in super heroes. Also, in a deleted scene, he told Steve Rogers to ask the waitress for her number.
- Iron Man 3 - Beauty pageant judge.
- Thor: The Dark World - Mental patient.
- Captain America: The Winter Soldier - Smithsonian security guard.
- Guardians of the Galaxy - Xandarian Ladies' Man. In a deleted scene, that was only shot with a double his original cameo was for him be an exhibit in the Collector's Museum where he gives Groot the middle finger.
- Avengers: Age of Ultron - World War II Veteran.
- Ant-Man - Bartender seen during Luis' flashback of Falcon looking for Ant-Man.
- Captain America: Civil War - FedEx Driver, mistaking Tony Stark as "Tony Stank".
- Doctor Strange - Bus Passenger, reading The Doors of Perception by Aldous Huxley.
- Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 - Watcher Informant, talking to the Watchers
- Spider-Man: Homecoming - Gary, chastised Spider-Man for making noise.
- Thor: Ragnarok - Man on Sakaar who cuts Thor's hair.
- Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. episode T.R.A.C.K.S. - Train passenger.
- Agent Carter episode The Blitzkrieg Button - Man next to Howard Stark.
- Daredevil episode Daredevil - Captain Irving Forbush, pictured on the wall.
- Jessica Jones episode AKA Top Shelf Perverts - Captain Irving Forbush, pictured on the wall.
- Daredevil episode Dogs to a Gunfight - Captain Irving Forbush, pictured on the wall.
- Luke Cage episode Soliloquy of Chaos - Captain Irving Forbush, pictured on the wall.
- Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: Slingshot episode Vendetta - Picture inside Coulson's box.
- Iron Fist episode Dragon Plays with Fire - Captain Irving Forbush, pictured on the wall.
- The Defenders episode Worst Behavior - Captain Irving Forbush, pictured on the wall.
- The Punisher episode Memento Mori - Captain Irving Forbush, pictured on the wall.
- Runaways episode Metamorphosis - Limo Driver.
- Stan Lee is one of the actors who have portrayed multiple characters in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
- Stan Lee has also had cameos in several non-Marvel Cinematic Universe films based on Marvel properties. He portrayed Willie Lumpkin, an actual character in the comics, in the 2005 Fantastic Four film.
- Stan Lee is the first actor in the Marvel Cinematic Universe who portrayed characters based on real life people.
- The character of Stanley Lieber in The Incredible Hulk is inspired by Stan Lee.
- In the Luke Cage episode Take It Personal, it is mentioned that Willis Stryker attended Lieber Academy in his youth.
- Stan Lee's appearance as a World War II veteran in Avengers: Age of Ultron is a reference to his actual military career during the war.
- Stan Lee is the only actor to appear in all Marvel Cinematic Universe movies, although all his appearances are cameos.
- With the exception of Inhumans, he has also appeared in all MCU TV shows, although some of his appearances are in pictures (most notably all of his cameos in Netflix shows), rather than physical like all of his film cameos.
- He has also appeared in other non-canon MCU media, like the web series Watch the Game and Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: Double Agent.
- In Stan Lee's cameo in Avengers: Age of Ultron, after getting drunk, Stan Lee says "Excelsior", the same phrase with which he ended his weekly "Stan's Soapbox," which appeared in every Marvel comic book.
- In Stan Lee's Guardians of the Galaxy cameo, when Rocket profiles him, "Excelsior!" can be seen written in the Skrull letters.
- Lee filmed his cameos in Doctor Strange, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, Spider-Man: Homecoming and Thor: Ragnarok on the same day due to his advanced age. James Gunn, the director of the Guardians of the Galaxy films, helped direct the cameos.
- Following the theatrical release of Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, Kevin Feige "admitted" that all the cameos portrayed by Lee across Marvel Cinematic Universe were actually the same character.