- "Fool! Should have learned!"
"I don't learn. One of my issues."
- ―Gamora and Star-Lord
Peter Jason Quill is a half-human who was abducted by the Ravagers. After his abduction, he began building a fame as the legendary outlaw Star-Lord, eventually becoming the founder and leader of the Guardians of the Galaxy team.
Deciding to leave the Ravagers, he stole the Orb, unintentionally becoming a part of the Quest for the Orb. During the Quest, he formed an uneasy alliance with Gamora, Drax the Destroyer, Rocket Raccoon, and Groot, and helped stop Ronan the Accuser from destroying Xandar.
After the Battle of Xandar, he left with the other Guardians to do "a little bit of bad and a little bit of good".
Peter Quill was born in 1980 to Meredith Quill and a being of an ancient race. When Quill was young, his mother brought together some of her favorite songs from her childhood into a mix tape she titled "Awesome Mix Vol. 1".
Quill grew up in Missouri, getting into fights a lot as a child. His mother had gotten terminal cancer, and it was decided that Quill would be raised by his grandfather. When Quill was eight, his mother's illness became much worse. Shortly before she died, she gave Quill a present and a note attached to it. In her final moments she begged Quill to hold her hand, but he could not bear to look at her. He regretted it and cried for his mother but was pulled from the room by his grandfather.
Directly after her death, Quill ran out of the hospital crying, and was suddenly abducted from Earth by the Ravagers. Their mission was to take him to his father in deep space but their leader, Yondu Udonta, instead decided that they would keep him as their own and chose never to tell him about his father. The Ravagers taught Quill how to be the perfect thief. As he grew older, Quill started going by the name Star-Lord, which was a nickname given to him by his mother. Yondu gave Quill an M-ship that Quill named the Milano, after his childhood crush, Alyssa Milano.
Quill's extensive Nova Corps criminal record includes 1 count of fraud, 2 counts of public intoxication, 1 count of assault and 1 count of illegal manipulation of a Garmosian Duchess. Though Rhomann Dey picked him up for petty theft on one of Quill's capers, the charge was not put on his record.
Discovering The Orb
- "How do you know about this?"
"I don't even know what that is. I'm just a junker, man, I'm just checking stuff out."
- ―Korath the Pursuer and Star-Lord
Living in space for 26 years, Quill built up a reputation as the self-proclaimed legendary outlaw "Star-Lord" and continued to work for Yondu Udonta. During his time with the Ravagers, he became disloyal to them, eventually planning to leave. When Yondu was given a job by the Broker to steal a mysterious item called the Orb from Morag, Quill decided to steal the Orb for himself. Quill flew his ship to Morag and made his way through the various traps and dangers in a temple; as he went through the temple he played his Walkman and danced. When Quill eventually managed to locate the Orb, he used a Gravity Mine to steal it.
Quill was attacked by Korath the Pursuer, who had also arrived to steal the Orb for Ronan the Accuser. Quill was able to distract Korath and killed his Sakaaran soldiers and shot Korath. Quill picked the Orb up and made his escape while being chased by Korath. Quill made it to the Milano and used the Gravity Mine again to stop the other soldiers. Quill started his ship and flew away from Morag while Korath shot at him. While he was flying away, he discovered that his girlfriend Bereet was still inside the ship; Quill had forgotten that she was there when he went on his heist.
Encounter with Bounty Hunters
- "You have the bearing of a man of honor."
"Well you know, I wouldn't say that. People say it about me, all the time, but it's not something I'd ever say about myself."
- ―Gamora and Star-Lord
Star-Lord went to Xandar in order to sell it. He brought it to the Broker who had made the deal with Yondu in hopes of selling it. The merchant refused to take the Orb after Quill told him that Korath had been working for Ronan the Accuser. As he was leaving the shop, Quill encountered Gamora, an assassin, who, after he attempted to flirt with her, attacked and stole the Orb. Quill was also attacked by the outlaw duo of Rocket Raccoon and Groot, who both desired the bounty that had been placed on Quill's head by the Ravagers. After a lengthy chase, all four were eventually apprehended by the Nova Corps, Quill was arrested by Rhomann Dey, who he had previously been arrested by, and taken to the Kyln for incarceration.
- "HEY, HEY, HEY! That's mine! Hey, take those headphones off, right now! Hooked on a Feeling, Blue Swede! That song belongs to me!"
- ―Star-Lord to a Guard
Once they arrived at the prison, Gamora revealed to them that she was planning on betraying Ronan and selling the Orb to a third party. Quill then spotted one of the guards using his Walkman, Quill confronted the guard and demanded that he put the Walkman into storage, the guard refused and instead used a taser rod to electrocute Quill.
Once Quill and the other members of the group had been processed, Quill almost immidately found himself a target in the prison when a Monstrous Inmate attempted to start a fight. However Quill was saved by Rocket and Groot who defeated the Inmate in humiliating fashion and declared that Quill was their booty and no one else was to go near them, Quill did not argue and proudly stated that he was indeed with them. Quill went to sleep in the group quarters while Gamora got her own personal cell where the prisoners continued to threaten her.
That night, some prisoners, including Drax the Destroyer, came to kill Gamora. Quill managed to convince Drax that, since she had betrayed Ronan, he would most likely come for her allowing Drax to exact his revenge. Quill had assured Gamora that he didn't care about her well-being, but knew that she would be able to show him where to sell the Orb. Gamora said that if they could escape the prison and retrieve the orb for her third party, she would split the four billion unit profit between herself, Quill, Rocket and Groot.
The next day, Rocket devised a plan to break out of the Kyln, as a team they would collect a series of items from across the prison which would allow Rocket and hack into the security tower. The went awry when Groot completed the last step first, setting off the alarms. Quill ran the steal a prisoner's false leg, offering the man 30,000 units in exchange. Quill made his way to the security tower, shooting at the drones that tried to stop him. He was assisted by Drax, who joined them in order to find Ronan. Rocket revealed that stealing the leg was simply a joke, which greatly annoyed Quill. However Rocket managed to turn on the anti-gravity and caused the watch tower to fly to safety.
As they began collecting their belongings, Quill noticed that the guard had stolen his walkman. Determined not to lose his most prized possession, Quill gave Gamora a bag, claiming it contained the Orb, and went to find the guard. Quill fought through the guards and found his Walkman, knocking out the guard who had stolen it. Quill then flew outside the prison to the ship, where Drax complimented him on his incredible bravery. However when Quill revealed what it was he had gone back for, Drax called him an imbecile.
On the Milano, Quill found Rocket Raccoon pulling apart bits of his ship to build weapons, including the Hadron Enforcer, Quill was furious and told him to stop. After commenting on the large sum that was going to be paid to the group, Drax claimed to have no interest in money which Quill joked meant more money for the rest of them. Quill stated that the group was going to have to have trust between them if they were going to start working together, but Gamora showed little interest, noting that Quill's ship was filthy.
Trouble On Knowhere
- "Four billion units! Rocket, come on man, suck it up for one more lousy night and we're rich."
"Fine, but I can't promise when all of this is over I'm not going to kill every last one of you jerks."
- ―Star-Lord and Rocket Raccoon
Arriving on Knowhere, a remote criminal outpost in space built in the giant severed-head of a celestial, the group decided to relax while waiting to meet Gamora's contact, Taneleer Tivan: The Collector. Quill and Gamora spent time together where they discussed Thanos and music, Quill even allowing Gamora to listen to his music before trying to kiss her.
They were interrupted by a fight that had broken out between Drax, Rocket and Groot. Quill broke up the fight but could not stop Drax from leaving, as he was furious that he still had not had a chance to kill Ronan. Quill told them that the lack of trust that they had had prevented them from ever making friends, and instead attacking anyone who got close.
Meeting the Collector
- "These carriers can use the stone to mow down entire civilizations like wheat in a field."
"There's a little pee coming out of me right now."
- ―Collector and Star-Lord
Carina, the Collector's assistant, then arrived and invited them into the Collector's museum. Quill presented Tivan with the Orb. As Tivan began to open the orb, he explained that it was in fact an Infinity Stone, an item of immeasurable power that was capable of destroying entire planets and kills all but the most powerful beings who wield it.
Tivan explained the history of the stones until the Orb opened, revealing a strange purple glowing gem. Before Tivan could pay them however, Tivan's tormented assistant grabed the stone, triggering an explosion that engulfs his collection. The team barely managed to survive the explosion.
- "I saw you out there. I don't know what came over me, but I couldn't let you die. I found something inside of myself, something incredibly heroic. I mean, not to brag, but objectively..."
- ―Star-Lord to Gamora
As they left the museum with the Orb, Rocket was horrified, claiming that they should just give it to Ronan and escape. Quill suggested that they give it to Yondu Udonta in exchange for money. Before they could continue arguing, Ronan the Accuser and Nebula arrived with an army of Sakaarans behind them, as Drax had called his enemy for a chance to kill him.
Gamora attempted to flee with Orb only to be pursued by Nebula. Quill and Rocket assisted and managed to destroy many of the Sakaaran ships. However Gamora was forced to fly out into deep space where Nebula destroyed her ship and retrieved the Orb, leaving her sister to die in space. Quill unwilling to watch Gamora die sends Udonta his coordinates and exits his pod giving Gamora his mask to help her survive. Before Quill could suffocate and die, they were rescued by the Ravagers and Udonta.
While on Yondu Udonta's ship, Quill was beaten and mocked by his former boss, who was still furious that Quill had betrayed them and stolen the Orb from Morag. Quill argued with Udonta about how Udonta claimed Quill should be grateful that he wasn't eaten by the other Ravagers. Udonta lost patience and aimed his Yaka Arrow at Quill throat. Quill managed to talk Udonta out of killing him by telling him he knows where there Orb is and that they can work together to retrieve it. Suddenly Rocket, Drax, and Groot threaten to attack the Eclector in an attempt to rescue them, luckily Quill manages to defuse the situation. 
Bringing the Team Together
- "When I look around at us, do you know what I see? Losers! I mean like... folks who have lost stuff, and we have. Man, we have. All of us. Our homes, our families, normal lives."
Back on the Milano, Quill berated Rocket, Groot and Drax about their foolish attempt to rescue them from Yondu, in which they would have destroyed the ship if Yondu hadn't handed them over in just five seconds. Quill told the group that he has a plan to stop Ronan as they could not simply stand back as Ronan kills billions of innocent people when he destroys Xandar. Rocket argued that they plan meant certain death for them all. However the entire group agreed and were willing to put their lives on the line to stop Ronan.
With the rest of the team on board, Quill came out with a plan and recruited the Ravagers help, Yondu told Quill that if he did not give him the stone at the end of the battle, he would kill him. Quill then called Rhomann Dey and told him of his plan asking for the help of the Nova Corps.
- "This plan of yours in truly crazy."
"Hey, you're the one who said you wanted to die among friends."
- ―Gamora and Star-Lord
Ronan arrived on Xandar with the Dark Aster and thousands of Sakaaran soldiers. Quill and the Ravagers engaged them in a massive ariel battle, while Kraglin and Rocket shot a hole in the side of the ship to allow Quill and Yondu Udonta to board. Yondu's ship was shot down in the battle and for a moment it appeared that they would not be able to defeat Ronan's army. However the Nova Corps arrived helped in the battle. Quill was able to land his ship inside the Dark Aster.
As the Nova Corps hold off the large ship by creating a forcefield, Quill, Groot, and Drax fought their way to Ronan while Gamora battled Nebula. They were attacked by a squad of Sakaaran Soldiers led by Korath the Pursuer. During the fight Drax managed to kill Korath. Eventually they made it to Ronan and Quill shot him with the Hadron Enforcer; however, Ronan is unaffected by the attack. For a moment they were defenceless, Drax was held by the throat by Ronan, but before he could kill them, Rocket comes crashing in with his own ship heavily damaging the Dark Aster,causing it to crash.
Quill pulled the injured Rocket out of the crashed ship and he joined the rest of the group, believing Ronan to be dead and their own lives to be lost when the ship crashed to the ground. However they were protected from serious injury by Groot, who shielded them seemingly at the cost of his life, making a dome around the team. When the Dark Aster crash landed to the ground, Groot's body was destroyed and the rest of the team survived with only minor injuries. They looked to each other to ensure they were all okay, only to witness Ronan the Accuser, unharmed, exiting the wreckage of his ship.
- "You said it yourself, bitch. We're the Guardians of the Galaxy."
- ―Star-Lord to Ronan the Accuser
Ronan began to mock the injured team, calling them the Guardians of the Galaxy. As he prepared to use the Infinity Stone to destroy Xandar, Quill, seeing no other opinion, distracts Ronan by dancing to "O-o-h Child" by the Five Stairsteps and challenging the war monger to a dance off. While Ronan starred at Quill with utter confusion, the time allowed Drax and Rocket to repair the Hadron Enforcer and use it to destroy his hammer. As the Infinity Stone hung in the air, Quill willingly sacrificed himself and grabbed the stone.
The stone's power began to rip Quill's body apart, causing him unbearable pain. Quill began to hallucinate images of his dying mother asking him to take her hand. Gamora, Rocket, and Drax came to his aid and grabbed his hands, allowing them to also absorb the Stone's power. Between them they successfully absorbed its power and were able to control it. Ronan stared in horror, demanding to know how it was possible, Quill responded that they are the Guardians of the Galaxy. The four then directed the Orb's power to blast Ronan, killing him.
With Ronan and his army now destroyed, Yondu Udonta demanded that Quill hand over the Orb despite Quill telling him that it is only safe with the Nova Corps. Quill tricked Yondu into taking a container supposedly containing the stone but actually contained a Troll doll. As the Ravagers left Xandar, they remarked that it turned out well that they did not deliver Quill to his father as a child. After the Ravagers left. Back on Xandar, Quill spoke to Gamora about how although they would now want him dead, the Ravagers were the only family he had ever known, Gamora told him that wasn't true anymore. Quill gave the real Orb to the Nova Corps.
The Guardians of the Galaxy
- "What should we do next; something good, something bad? Bit of both?"
"We'll follow your lead, Star-Lord."
"A bit of both!"
- ―Star-Lord and Gamora
Quill's group, now known as the Guardians of the Galaxy, had their criminal records expunged by the Corps, and Quill learned that he is only half-human, his father being part of an ancient species. Quill finally opened the last present he received from his mother; a second cassette tape filled with her favorite songs. The Guardians left in the rebuilt Milano, accompanied by a twig recovered from Groot, which was already regrowing.
Peter Quill was abducted from Earth by the thieves and smugglers called the Ravagers. Their leader, Yondu Udonta raised Quill and showed him how to survive in deep space. Yondu also taught Quill how to be the perfect thief. Peter Quill is naturally upbeat and sarcastic and is known for looking on the bright side. It seems that his 1980s pop culture-laden references his life on Earth. He is also very protective of his personal Sony Walkman.
Before joining the Guardians, Quill lived in the ways of an average criminal and thug, going so far as killing Korath's men and attempting to kill Korath himself when they seemingly threatened his well being as they were arresting him for interrogation by Ronan. Although, he only attacked them when he was aware that he could get the drop on them and win, as well as when he knew that he could not convince them to let him go. However, he merely stunned and knocked out the guards on the Kyln with his Quad Blasters instead of using lethal force, which shows that he only would kill to defend himself or in battles with foes that are outside the law, such as Ronan and Korath's men. He is very conscientious of his physical weaknesses, which prevents him from acting impulsive as he is always aware of the dangers of his actions, especially in combat.
Quill has shown he can be heroic; he was unwilling to watch Gamora die in space, so he exited his pod giving Gamora his mask, saving her life, nearly at the cost of his own. He was also the one who brought the Guardians together to save Xandar, showcasing his leadership qualities and a certain amount of charisma, since all the members were well-known outlaws.
Quill can create inventive, and often extremely unorthodox, solutions to problems on the fly. His confrontation with Ronan the Accuser is an example of this, distracting him long enough for Rocket and Drax to put the Enforcer back together to destroy Ronan's hammer to break loose the stone.
Due to being raised as a child by aliens, having possibly not learned just how weak humans are compared to other beings, he never suspected that he was half alien himself and assumed his inhuman resilience to be normal for any creature.
Powers and Abilities
- Enhanced Durability: Due to his paternal heritage, Quill is able to physically withstand great physical forces, energy from an Infinity Stone, exposure to certain hazards and even the vacuum of space without his helmet, though he could die eventually from it if exposed for more than a few minutes and if he were impacted with greater physical force than he can handle. He held the Power Stone and suffered the burden of it for minutes on end before he was close to death by being burned and corroded by the energy. He was partly healed seconds after from the damage when he was touched by the other Guardians who shared the burden and reformed the parts of the body and skin that was burned and corroded, though this was only due to the Power Stones energy being stablized within him and being taken control over. He was beaten and tossed around by Korath, a mercenary with the strength to destroy stone by just striking it and push people through the air at bullet-like speed. Despite the fact that a normal human would have been instantly killed by that kind of strength and the force of being slammed against hard objects as Quill was during his fight with Korath and his troops, Quill was not at all injured in any way and fought with great speed and skill, killing off many of Korath's men. He has also fallen from several stories without being injured and barely being stunned in more than one occasion, as when he jettisoned himself out of the temple the Orb was held with his leg jets. He also tackled Gamora from several stories without getting hurt to keep her from getting away with the Orb. Due to his life of constant perils where he survived multiple, life-threatening endeavours, as well as being taken from Earth as a child, he has not suspected that he was half human and believed that his resilience was normal for any creature, as other beings around him had similar resilience to himself.
- Enhanced Recovery: Not only can Quill withstand and resist most damage, but he can also recover and heal in less time than normal humans. He needed only to catch his breath after being exposed to the vacuum of space, though it was shown to significant harm him before he was saved from it. Notably, he was shown to have fully healed from the damage to his skin left by the Orb by the time Nova Corp brought him in after Ronan was destroyed.
- Enhanced Performance: Quill's overall physical performance is shown to always be at its peak, which also enhances his mobility and even his strength, which allowed him to tackle Groot, who is larger and heavier than him, a few feet out of the path of the crashing Milano.
- Expert Combatant: Quill is an expert in close-quarters combat. He was able to hold his own against Gamora, an assassin trained by Thanos. He uses his two blasters as melee weapons to strike and knock his foes unconscious with a hard strike to the head. He was able to take down multiple Nova Corps, Kyln, and Sakaaran soldiers by striking them with the blasters.
- "I picked this guy up a while back for petty theft."
- ―Rhomann Dey
- Expert Thief: Raised by the Ravagers, Quill mastered the art of thievery and evasion. Though Star-Lord had a criminal record, thievery was not one of the charges, though Rhomann Dey picked him up for petty thief.
- Expert Marksman: Quill is well-versed in the use of weapons from all over the galaxy, but he prefers using his own Quad Blasters, which he is shown to be skilled with. He also handled a Kyln Guards rifle, a weapon he was not believed to have even seen before, and easily shot and destroyed a drone with it.
- Skilled Acrobat: Quill is highly athletic and has high level dexterity, reflexes, and coordination, which notably allows him to do parkour and free running. His extreme reflexes allowed him to effortlessly catch a small lunging creature trying to bite him while he was wearing head phones and seemingly distracted by his music. He was able to leap several feet across a chasm, perform a combat roll while sliding along his ship directly into the cockpit.
- Master Pilot: Quill is an accomplished starship pilot. He has used this skill to escape Korath and his men on Morag.
- Hadron Enforcer: Made by Rocket, the Enforcer shoots a concentrated bolt of nuclear explosive force that only detonates on its target. The mass and size of the target determine how large the explosion will be. Rocket claimed it could destroy a moon. He briefly handled the weapon in the Guardians plan to kill Ronan, but has not held it since.
- Quad Blasters: Quill carries dual direct energy weapons in the form of handguns. They each have two triggers for the index and middle finger for the top and bottom barrel respectively, with the bottom barrel shooting lightning and the top barrel shooting fiery bolts or blasts. While the fire-like blast on the top barrel is lethal, killing its live targets on impact and even sends the target flying backwards with great force, the bottom barrel produces streaks of non lethal electricity to electrocute its targets and incapacitate them. He has used his two blasters as melee weapons in the past to strike and knock out his foes, specifically Kyln Guards, with a strike to the head. He was even shown striking enemies with the barrels while shooting the lethal setting, which allowed him to hit harder and harm stronger opponents. The design of the blasters are a reference to the latest version of his element gun, while the fact he has twin blasters in the movie is a reference to his twin Kree sub-machine guns from the comics, while he only had one element gun in the comics.
- Energy Bolas: A hi-tech version of an ancient throwing weapon made of weights on the ends of an interconnected energy cord, designed to capture targets by entangling their legs.
- Helmet: Quill wears a helmet that shows threats on HUD and has internal comm systems. The helmet allows him to breathe in the vacuum of space. When he presses the button on the side of his head, a light blue energy wraps around his face and the back of his head, and becomes the helmet.
- Jet Boot Attachments: Quill has jets that he attaches to his boots to make jet boots, while he activates them with buttons on his leg. The jet attachments can rotate in any direction and can be used to propel him through the air at great speed. They can also be used in flying in deep space. He even used them as weapons by attaching one of them on a hostile and activated them, which sent the target flying backwards.
- Translator Implant: Star-Lord has a translator implanted in his neck that helps him understand many of the languages of almost every known species in the universe.
- Star-Lord Uniform - The uniform protects Quill from the effects of absolute zero temperature of deep space as well as its vacuum.
- Plasma Sphere: One of Peter Quills gadgetry and weapons is a glass like ball that much like a glowstick, lit up when shook. It was dangerous when shattered, as it could ensnare and disintegrate living creatures in a cloud of its released plasma, though it quickly diminishes.
- Holographic Map: Part of his arsenal and tools is a holographic device given him by the Broker able to project and Holographic Map on the planet Morag of the size of a foot ball field and projects what was there before, even people moving around. Quill scanned the ruined temple area of Morag and could identify the creatures and people living their before. It could also highlight a certain area red to show Star Lord where it detects a certain object. This is how Quill knew to go up the temple stairs to find the Orb.
- Gravity Mine: A device that could exert greater amounts of the force of gravity on a designated object and gravitate it towards itself was in Quills possession. It can generate gravity as powerful as a planet and pull something to itself as if the object were in a planets orbit. If it is not programmed to pull a certain object while active, it will pull everything in a 1 foot radius towards itself at great speed. Quill used this to incapacitate Korath's troops before it was shot and destroyed.
This section requires expansion
Much of his personal items from Earth traveled with him when he was taken by the Ravagers as a child. His ship, the Milano, now houses this memorabilia, with the songs from his walkman being able to be played on the ships sound system, with what appeared to be a stereo being added to the ship.
- Sony TPS-L2 Walkman Headset: Quill is very protective of his personal Sony Walkman; when deprived of it in prison, he challenged a guard for its return, but was electrocuted in response. He received it from his mother, along with two mix tapes containing several songs from the 60's all the way through to the 80's.
- Troll doll
- ALF Trading Cards
- Garbage Pail Kids Trading Cards
- Puffy stickers
- Scratch and Sniff Stickers
- In the comics, Peter Quill was originally a NASA astronaut whose mother was killed by aliens and who ended up assuming the mantle of the Star Lord, an interplanetary policeman. This version was later retconned to have taken place in an alternate reality, and the main version of Quill was retconned as an Earthling child that was taken into the space at a young age and ended up imprisoned at the Kyln and formed a team called the Guardians of the Galaxy.
- In Guardians of the Galaxy, Peter has a NASA patch on his backpack.
|Guardians of the Galaxy|