- "You want pussy? I can get you that. You ain't got to wet dream about Doc Connors. You want extra shit? I'll get you that, too."
"This about me fighting for you? That's not the lane I want to play in."
"You must smell a lot of shit having your ass on your shoulders all the time. I make you an easy offer, throw in some perks, and you just shrug 'em off. Well, it's lucky I'm a patient man. Smart enough to know you'd say no. Gave me time to build a backup plan."
- ―Albert Rackham and Carl Lucas
While trapped in the rubble, Cage reminisces about his past as Carl Lucas and his incarceration at Seagate Prison, a private detention facility run by C.O. Albert Rackham. He befriends fellow inmate Squabbles, develops an attraction to psychologist Dr. Reva Connors, and is forced to engage in illegal ring fights by Rackham, and crossed paths with inmates Alvarez and Comanche. Lucas and Connors plan to expose Rackham's activities, which includes allowing an illegal experimental procedure on inmates in exchange for reduced sentences. Rackham learns of this by torturing Squabbles to death, and has Lucas brutally beaten. Connors convinces Dr. Noah Burstein, the scientist conducting the experimental procedures, to perform the procedure on Lucas, a submersive "bath" designed to cause rapid healing. Rackham sabotages the experiment, and the resulting accident instead gives Lucas superhuman strength and invulnerability. He escapes and adopts the identity of Luke Cage. In the present, Cage manages to pull himself and Connie out of the rubble and reveals his abilities to the media.
- Frank Whaley as Detective Rafael Scarfe
- Parisa Fitz-Henley as Reva Connors
- Chance Kelly as Albert Rackham
- Michael Kostroff as Dr. Noah Burstein
- Thomas Q. Jones as Darius Jones/Comanche
- Craig Mums Grant as Squabbles
- Jade Wu as Connie Lin
- Clem Cheung as Jin Lin
- Manny Pérez as Lieutenant Perez
- David Marston Fobbs as Keely
- Harry Sutton Jr. as Guard #1
- Isaac Esau Gay as Guard #2
- Miles Mussenden as Guard #3
- Chris Lazzaro as Inmate
- Michael Chmiel as Cameraman
- Andy Schneeflock as Video Tech
- Bill Riccardulli as Firefighter #1
- Robert Keiley as Firefighter #2
- Amy Halldin as Newscaster #1
- Malika Nzinga as Newscaster #2
- Joe Harrell as Drill Sergeant
- Jonathan Benevento as Inmate (uncredited)
- Roger Brenner as FDNY / EMT (uncredited)
- Caliph Jones as Basketball Inmate (uncredited)
- Lynn Marocola as FDNY Paramedic (uncredited)
- Brandon McClary as Fighter #2 (uncredited)
- Chiko Mendez as Fruit Vendor (uncredited)
- David Walcott as Correction Officer (uncredited)
- Thomas D. Weaver as Seagate Prison Guard (uncredited)
- New York City, New York
- Seagate Penitentiary (flashback)
To be added
- Jimmy Quinto
- Justin Hammer (indirectly)
- Tyler Stuart
- James Lucas
- Lisa Bonet
- Nicki Minaj
- Zoë Kravitz
- Tupac Shakur
- Jet Li
- Bruce Lee
- Rolling Stone
- The Godfather Part II
- The Godfather
- Five Deadly Venoms
- Clan of the White Lotus
- The Five Fingers of Death
- Fist of Legend
- Golden Gloves
- Gospel of Luke
- Step in the Arena is a song from the album with the same name of the hip-pop duo Gang Starr.
- Cage spots metal headgear and bracelets after getting his powers, a yellow shirt and blue jeans that he wore in the comics as Power Man. He's accidentally dressed in a similar outfit after his escape from prison, and when he sees himself in a window, he says "You look like a fool".
- When used in the wreckage of the restaurant, Cage's phone shows Thursday, November 5, which fell on that day of the week in 2015.
- Luke Cage mentions Zoë Kravitz to Squabbles. Kravitz reacted to the reference on Instagram on October 5, 2016, and while flattered she disputed the claim that she is more attractive than her mother.
|Feel Alive (feat. Karolina & Loren Oden)||Adrian Younge & Ali Shaheed Muhammad||
(Flashback) Luke Cage thanks Reva Connors for saving his life and she in turns thanks him for changing hers, then they come up with a new name for him taken from quotations from Luke's preacher father; (present) Connie Lin is loaded into an ambulance.