- "You are a good man with a good heart. And it's hard for a good man to be a king."
- ―T'Chaka to T'Challa
T'Chaka was the ruler of the Kingdom of Wakanda, having assumed the throne and the role of Black Panther in his youth. Following the Attack on the IFID Headquarters, T'Chaka supported and eventually signed the Sokovia Accords. This decision resulted in his death during a terrorist attack orchestrated by Helmut Zemo.
T'Chaka was born and raised in Wakanda to the former rulers of the nation and at some point in time, became the nation's new king. In addition to his role as king, T'Chaka was also the Black Panther, Wakanda's protector, as part of Wakandan tradition. As his son T'Challa reached a certain age, he assumed the mantle of Black Panther from his father.
T'Chaka assisted to the Bilderberg Conference as one of its invitees. Unbeknownst to him, Ulysses Klaue had been hired to kill him in case he refused to negotiate about Wakandan resources, including vibranium. Klaue also had a personal grudge against T'Chaka and his family, as one of his ancestors was responsible for killing Klaue's great-grandfather.
Reaction to Crossbones
During an operation in Lagos, Nigeria, the Avenger Scarlet Witch, while trying to save Captain America as well as several innocent civilians from a suicide bombing by Crossbones, accidentally moved the explosion too close to a building, killing dozens of innocent people. Since many of the civilian casualties within the catastrophe were Wakandan subjects who were there on a new goodwill mission, T'Chaka supported the Sokovia Accords along his nation.
- "We will not however, let misfortune drive us back. We will fight to improve the world we wish to join."
With his son, he attended the signing of the Sokovia Accords in the Vienna International Centre. There he met with the Avenger Natasha Romanoff, noting he was saddened to learn that Captain America had decided not to sign the Accords. As Romanoff took her seat, T'Chaka spoke with T'Challa, complimenting him on his fine work and thanking him for coming to the signing in person despite not enjoying politics.
During the meeting, T'Chaka gave his own speech to all of those in attendance where he discussed how Ultron had used vibranium stolen from Wakanda in his attempt to destroy the world during the Battle of Sokovia, before noting how Crossbones had then killed so many innocent lives due to the Avengers inaction. During T'Chaka's speech, a bomb detonated outside the building, causing the whole room to be engulfed in a fireball with T'Chaka in the centre of it.
Despite the best efforts of his son to save him, T'Chaka was killed instantly, devastating T'Challa, who then took up the title of King of Wakanda. Seeking revenge, T'Challa decided to avenge his father's death, ruthlessly hunting down the Winter Soldier, instead of the true killer, Helmut Zemo. Once T'Challa discovered Zemo's involvement in his father's death, T'Challa decided to spare Zemo's life and then turned him over to the authorities for sentencing.
To be added
- "Two people in a room can get more than a hundred."
"Unless you need to move a piano."
- ―T'Challa and T'Chaka
T'Chaka was a calm and caring individual who was loved by his son and by his people. Unlike his son, T'Chaka stressed the importance of politics and diplomacy and wished for Wakanda, an isolationist country, to join the rest of the world.
T'Chaka had many abilities, such as;
- Multilingual: T'Chaka speaks his native Xhosa, as well as fluent English (albeit with a thick Wakandan accent).
- Political Power: As the king of Wakanda, he held political power around his nation.
- Influence: As the king of Wakanda, T'Chaka held a vast influence over his people.
- Hand to Hand Combatant: Perhaps due to his status as a king and warrior, and as the previous Black Panther, T'Chaka may have been an extremely skilled combatant and may have trained T'Challa during the latter's youth.
- Panther Habit: During his time with the mantle of Black Panther, T'Chaka wore a black and silver-lined combat suit that is composed of a specially-designed Wakandan Vibranium-mesh weave akin to chain mail that is, like Captain America's Shield, light-weight, vibration-absorbent, nigh-indestructible and renders him immune to most physical damages especially from collisions and conventional weapons such as firearms, though the suit is notably vulnerable to the electrical charges such as Black Widow's Bite. The suit is accompanied by:
- Two sets of extendable and retractable Vibranium Claws embedded in the fingers of the gloves like nails; serving as both utility and primary weapon of T'Chaka during combat. The claws are exceptionally strong and razor sharp and have the capabilities of scratching other objects made from Vibranium.
- The Black Panther helmet which has similar properties with the suit, and is adorned with silver trimmings and slight pointed arches on either side of the top that mimic the ears of the animal. The helmet seems to have some kind of safety lock in the rear area, enabling it to attach firmly to the user's head.
- Wakandan Royal Ring: A ring that is used by the King of Wakanda, that is passed to the next generation after the death of his predecessor.
- In the comics, T'Chaka was successfully killed by Ulysses Klaue.
|King of Wakanda|