- He was nominated for a WAFCA Award for Best Motion Capture Performance for his work on Thor: Ragnarok.
- He was nominated for an Empire Award for Best Director for his work on Thor: Ragnarok.
- He was nominated for an MTV Movie & TV Award for Scene Stealer for his work on Thor: Ragnarok.
- Taika Waititi is the husband of Chelsea Winstanley.
- Taika Waititi is one of the actors who have portrayed multiple characters in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
- Taika Waititi also portrayed Thomas Kalmaku in the DC Entertainment production Green Lantern.
- Taika Waititi previously worked with Sam Neill in Hunt for the Wilderpeople.
- Taika Waititi previously worked with Clancy Brown in Green Lantern.
- Taika Waititi's second film as director, Boy, has several references to the Hulk.
- Taika Waititi is the fourth Marvel Cinematic Universe director to play a part in the film he is directing. The first was Jon Favreau, who portrayed Happy Hogan in Iron Man, Iron Man 2 and also in Iron Man 3 and Spider-Man: Homecoming, despite not directing the latter two. The second was Joe Russo, who portrayed Doctor Fine in Captain America: The Winter Soldier and Theo Broussard in Captain America: Civil War. The third was James Gunn, who portrayed a Maskless Sakaaran in Guardians of the Galaxy.