Threat to FamilyTina Minoru had settled his youngest daughter, Nico, to bed when she discovered Jonah interacting with her eldest daughter, Amy. Though Tina was surprised that he had replaced the babysitter Tina had earlier hired, as he was sick, he expressed gratitude to her for keeping the recordings on the Wizard servers and standing up to PRIDE's fellow members. Before leaving, Jonah warned Tina of the possibility of Amy betraying her as a teenager.
Death of Amy
Years later, Amy hacked into Wizard in order to learn more about Wizard's secrets, causing a fearful Jonah to kill her. Nico stumbled upon Amy's room, and, seeing Amy's corpse, called her parents. While grieving, Nico yelled at her parents, but Tina interrupted Nico, ordering Wizey to seal the house. Tina later caught Nico calling 911 to report Amy's death and used the Staff of One to knock Nico unconscious.
By the time Nico came to, Tina had hired a worker into her house. Unknown to Tina, Nico spied on her with Wizey's assistance, and suspected something was up with Tina.
This section requires expansion
In 2017, Tina noticed through hidden cameras that Nico, having ripped her tights, was in Amy's room to borrow hers. Tina entered Amy's room and reminded Nico not to take Amy's things, but Nico simply ignored her and left, breaking one of Amy's trophies. Despite Nico's attempts to apologize, Tina ordered Nico to leave.
Tina Minoru is a ruthless and stern individual. She is frequently dominant over her husband Robert, and is cold towards her own daughter Nico, pushing for Nico's academic success. Her presence and actions make her feared in PRIDE, such as when she scared the Yorkes from leaving the group when they attempted to flee to Yucatan. She is also prone to focusing on herself and her emotions, and is upset that no one cares about her as much as she does.
Tina's heartless demeanor hides a grieving side. Following the death of her eldest daughter Amy, she has become emotionally distant, separating herself from Robert and Nico. Despite her attempts to reconnect with Robert, her feelings towards him changed with the knowledge that he was cheating on her.
Despite her strict attitude, Tina can be sympathetic at times. She desires to mend her relationship with Nico, training her in using the Staff of One. Her splintered relationship with Robert has grown stronger since Janet broke off her tryst with Robert, leading to Tina stopping Robert's attempt to sacrifice himself.
Powers and Abilities
- Staff of One Manipulation: Tina, along with her daughter Nico, is the only sorcerer that can activate the Staff of One, a powerful tool of nanotechnology that allows the user to do almost anything by psychic means.
- Barriers: Tina is capable of constructing various barriers of light, such a soundproof barrier and an indestructible glass-like crystal barrier to prevent her family from entering her deceased daughter's room.
- Electricity Manipulation: Tina used this ability to prevent Nico from calling the police when Nico's sister supposedly committed suicide.
- Disintegration: Tina used it to prevent her husband's death by disintegrating one of the capsules that was to sacrifice him.
- Weapon Summoning: Tina summoned the staff from Nico's hand while she was in the middle of a spell.
- Bilingualism: Tina is fluent in English, and can speak and understand enough Japanese to understand Robert's apology to her.
- Staff of One: A powerful tool of nanotechnology invented by Tina that allows the user to do almost anything by psychic means. Tina has also used the staff to create barriers of different properties, once to seal the doorway to her deceased daughter's room and again to create a soundproof barrier during the PRIDE ritual to sacrifice Destiny Gonzalez. As the staff is designed to respond to Tina's DNA, Tina and her daughter Nico are the only people who can use it.
- In the comics, Tina Minoru is an evil sorceress and a member of the Pride along her husband Robert. Her daughter Nico is a member of the superhero team Runaways.
Behind the Scenes
- A different version of Tina Minoru earlier made a cameo in the film Doctor Strange. Runaways showrunner Josh Schwartz has stated that the series will not acknowledge Minoru's appearance in Doctor Strange: "She was only named in the credits so it's nothing that really affects us." This means that though the Tina Minorus of Doctor Strange and Runaways are inspired by the same character, the two are completely different characters.
- Alice Chen was a stand-in and photo double for Brittany Ishibashi in the role of Tina Minoru.