- "We could have made some pretty cool stuff with all that alien junk."
Phineas Mason, also known as the Tinkerer, is a former salvager turned professional criminal who used Chitauri, Dark Elf and Ultron technology salvaged by Adrian Toomes to create all new powerful weaponry. Due to the actions of Spider-Man, Tinkerer's weapons came under risk of being found, and therefore Toomes considered shutting down their organisation, however the Tinkerer convinced him to do a final heist which resulted in Toomes being arrested.
Toomes Salvage Company
Battle of New York Cleanup
In the wake of the Battle of New York, the Toomes Salvage Company gains the contract to clean up the city. Mason was cleaning up Grand Central Station, with Herman Schultz. Mason was inspecting a Chitauri energy core when Adrian Toomes was approached by Anne Marie Hoag and a group of agents, telling them that they are to withdraw from the area as the Department of Damage Control had secured the contract to clean up after Avengers battles. As Toomes explains that he had the contract to clean up New York City, Mason slipped the energy core into his pocket.
Hoag was unrelenting, however, telling Toomes to leave. Toomes started begging her to let him have the contract, as he had a family to support. When one of Hoag's men mockingly told him to not overreach in his work, Toomes punched him in the face, causing the guards around Hoag to draw their guns and for Toomes to leave the area. Hoag told Toomes that he could talk to Tony Stark about the contracts if he wished.
Later at their base, Mason was experimenting with the energy core, managing to activate the core and power a small turbine while Toomes watched a television report on the federal government creating Damage Control. When Jackson Brice discovered that the group still had a large amount of Chitauri technology left over, Toomes decides to keep it, convincing the group to turn to a life of crime by reverse-engineering and weaponizing the technology for sale on the streets.
Serving the Vulture
Years later, Toomes delivered more technology to Tinkerer in his Vulture's Exo-Suit, telling him that "business is good". Months later, Mason was present when Toomes confronted Jackson Brice about firing the weapons in public.As the argument with Brice and Toomes escalated, Toomes tells Brice that he is fired. Disgusted, Brice threatened Toomes, saying that he will inform the authorities about their operation. Brice then asked Toomes what would happen if he told Doris Toomes about his business. This was a step too far for Toomes, who promptly walked over to Mason's desk and picked up a gun and shot Brice, instantly killing him and leaving Mason staring at his ashes. Toomes was slightly surprised at his actions and asked Mason whether the weapon he was wielding was a Anti-Gravity Gun, to which Mason replied that the Anti-Gravity Gun was on his other side of his desk.
- "Okay. I got eyes on the convoy. Pulling in behind the caboose."
"No outgoing distress signals. You're all clear."
- ―Vulture and Tinkerer
Several days later, the crew received a tip that a truck full of confiscated technology was heading to the Damage Control Headquarters by the way of Maryland. Acting as technical support with Shocker, in a van nearby, Vulture stealthily intercepted the truck. Anchoring his Wings to the truck, Vulture used a Matter Phase Shifter to enter the truck's trailer. Mason witnessed the sudden appearance of Spider-Man, leading to Vulture quickly escaping and leaving the technology behind.
Back at the base, Toomes was still fuming over the loss of the technology. Tinkerer offered to upgrade the Vulture Suit with the high-altitude vacuum seal, so they could pull off an airborne heist against Avengers Tower. Toomes turned Mason down, asking if they still had enough technology to sell on the Staten Island Ferry in a few days which Mason confirmed. Toomes began muttering that it was all Spider-Man's fault and he would kill him for interfering with his business. Overhearing, Schultz told Toomes to look at the television, which was broadcasting the Rescue at the Washington Monument, including Spider-Man saving Toomes' daughter, Liz.
- "Mason, can you get that high-altitude seal thing up and running in time?"
"Seriously? Yes. You will not regret this."
- ―Vulture and Tinkerer
Back at their headquarters, Mason learned that the deal at the Staten Island Ferry had gone south. Shocker packed his things, becoming concerned that he will be arrested soon, as the FBI would have got him at the ferry if not for Spider-Man's interference, who himself was getting closer to the Vulture's operation. Toomes convinced him to stay though and telling Mason to start building the high altitude vacuum seal to preform their next heist: the Hijacking of the Stark Cargo Plane, which Mason delighted at.
- "Deploying high-altitude vacuum seal."
"This better work, Mason."
"Trust me, boss. Even one of those boxes and we are set for life."
- ―Tinkerer and Vulture
After the Vulture battled and supposedly killed Spider-Man at their original hideout, Mason guided Toomes through the Hijacking of the Stark Cargo Plane. After Toomes was arrested, Mason went into hiding.
- "You know I'm a curious person by nature."
- ―Tinkerer to Adrian Toomes
This section requires expansion
Mason is a very intelligent being and curious by nature, combining both of those traits to create hybrid high-tech weapons. Unlike Adrian Toomes, Jackson Brice or Herman Schultz, Mason is much more calm and quiet.
Powers and Abilities
- Master Engineer: Mason is a highly skilled engineer rivaled by Tony Stark, he was able to create a suit and a beam gun for Adrian Toomes from Chitauri salvage and a gauntlet for Herman Schultz and Jackson Brice recovered from the Attack on the IFID Headquarters to aid them in their crimes. Mason is one of the only people able to reactivate Chitauri technology without outside help, managing to create many advanced weapons.
To be added
- Vulture's Exo-Suit: A specialized flying mechanical suit used by the Vulture, consisting of a metallic body armor, outfitted with a winged steel harness that allows one to fly.
- Shocker's Gauntlet: A mechanical gauntlet that can generate and release powerful blasts of electrical shocks.
- Ultron Blaster Gun: A large blaster based on one of Ultron's arms, capable of shooting concussive blasts and freezing the motion of targets.
- Anti-Gravity Gun: A large weapon that is capable of levitating heavy objects.
- Matter Phase Shifter: A device that is able to turn a portion of a surface intangible and transparent like glass with a purple glow, allowing objects to freely pass through solid surfaces.
- Chitauri Blowtorch: Powered by a Chitauri Energy Core and capable of slicing through steel and concrete, the item was sold to several parties on the black market.
- In the comics, Phineas Mason is an elderly technician who started a criminal career as the Tinkerer after developing an obsession for super-humans. He aided various supercriminals, like Kingpin and Blizzard, providing them with new advanced equipment.