- "We could have made some pretty cool stuff with all that alien junk."
Toomes Salvage Company
Battle of New York Cleanup
In the wake of the Battle of New York, the Toomes Salvage Company gains the contract to clean up the city. Mason was cleaning up Grand Central Station, with Herman Schultz. Mason was inspecting a Chitauri energy core when Adrian Toomes was approached by Anne Marie Hoag and a group of agents, telling them that they are to withdraw from the area as the Department of Damage Control had secured the contract to clean up after Avengers battles. As Toomes explains that he had the contract to clean up New York City, Mason slipped the energy core into his pocket.
Hoag was unrelenting, however, telling Toomes to leave. Toomes started begging her to let him have the contract, as he had a family to support. When one of Hoag's men mockingly told him to not overreach in his work, Toomes punched him in the face, causing the guards around Hoag to draw their guns and for Toomes to leave the area. Hoag told Toomes that he could talk to Tony Stark about the contracts if he wished.
Later at their base, Mason was experimenting with the energy core, managing to activate the core and power a small turbine while Toomes watched a television report on the federal government creating Damage Control. When Jackson Brice discovered that the group still had a large amount of Chitauri technology left over, Toomes decides to keep it, convincing the group to turn to a life of crime by reverse-engineering and weaponizing the technology for sale on the streets.
Serving the Vulture
This section requires expansion
Several months later, Toomes delivered more technology to Tinkerer in his Vulture's Exo-Suit, telling him that "business is good".
Years later, Mason was present when Toomes confronted Jackson Brice about firing the weapons in public.As the argument with Brice and Toomes escalated, Toomes tells Brice that he is fired. Disgusted, Brice threatened Toomes, saying that he will inform the authorities about their operation. Brice then asked Toomes what would happen if he told Doris Toomes about his business. This was a step too far for Toomes, who promptly walked over to Mason's desk and picked up a gun and shot Brice, instantly killing him and leaving Mason staring at his ashes. Toomes was slightly surprised at his actions and asked Mason whether the weapon he was wielding was a Anti-Gravity Gun, to which Mason replied that the Anti-Gravity Gun was on his other side of his desk.
- "You know I'm a curious person by nature."
- ―Tinkerer to Adrian Toomes
This section requires expansion
Mason is a very intelligent being and curious by nature, combining both of those traits to create hybrid high-tech weapons. Unlike Adrian Toomes, Jackson Brice or Herman Schultz, Mason is much more calm and quiet.
Powers and Abilities
- Master Engineer: Mason is a highly skilled engineer rivaled by Tony Stark, he was able to create a suit and a beam gun for Adrian Toomes from Chitauri salvage and a gauntlet for Herman Schultz and Jackson Brice recovered from the Attack on the IFID Headquarters to aid them in their crimes. Mason is one of the only people able to reactivate Chitauri technology without outside help, managing to create many advanced weapons. The only other known person able to do this is Benjamin Pollack.
To be added
- Vulture's Exo-Suit: A specialized flying mechanical suit used by the Vulture, consisting of a metallic body armor, outfitted with a winged steel harness that allows one to fly.
- Shocker's Gauntlet: A mechanical gauntlet that can generate and release powerful blasts of electrical shocks.
- Ultron Blaster Gun: A large blaster based on one of Ultron's arms, capable of shooting concussive blasts and freezing the motion of targets.
- Anti-Gravity Gun: A large weapon that is capable of levitating heavy objects.
- Matter Phase Shifter: A device that is able to turn a portion of a surface intangible and transparent like glass with a purple glow, allowing objects to freely pass through solid surfaces.
- In the comics, Phineas Mason is an elderly technician who started a criminal career as the Tinkerer after developing an obsession for super-humans. He aided various supercriminals, like Kingpin and Blizzard, providing them with new advanced equipment.