- "Tell me something. What do you know about Wakanda?"
"It's a third world country. Textiles, shepherds, cool outfits."
"All a front. Explorers have searched for it. Called it El Dorado. They looked for it in South America, but it was in Africa the whole time. I'm the only who's seen it... and made it out alive."
- ―Ulysses Klaue and Everett Ross
Ulysses Klaue is a black-market arms dealer as well as smuggler and gangster who had operated out of South Africa. He is a former acquaintance of Tony Stark from his weapons-dealing days. During an encounter with Ultron, Klaue sold his stockpile of Vibranium to the A.I. before losing his arm in an argument with Ultron.
- "Don't tell me your man swindled you; I sent you six short range heat-seekers and got a boat full of rusty parts. Now you will make it right or the next missile I send you will come very much faster... Now Minister, where were we?"
- ―Ulysses Klaue
While in Wakanda, Ulysses Klaue enslaved Wakandans to do the mining work, which resulted on N'Jadaka's family being exiled from the country and earned him a branded scar with the symbol for 'Thief' as a form of punishment for stealing Vibranium. Klaue claimed that he was the only man from the outside world who had seen Wakanda with his own eyes and came out of it alive. Working as an arms dealer in South Africa, Klaue had met Tony Stark and Baron Wolfgang von Strucker. Klaue was later paid ten million dollars to assassinate Wakandan King T'Chaka. This put Klaue on S.H.I.E.L.D.'s radar as a new potential threat to world security.
Encounter with Ultron
Threatened by the Maximoffs
In 2015, while inside his ship in the Salvage Yard, Klaue was on the phone with one of his buyers, threatening him for selling him poor quality missiles before hanging up and continuing another conversation with a minister about their deal. Before he could conclude his deal, the lights in the facility were cut out; Klaue took a handgun and readied himself for a firefight. Before he could react, Pietro Maximoff ran into the room and disarmed him of his bullets.
Klaue found himself face to face with Pietro and Wanda Maximoff. Klaue remained confident, mocking the pair for their youth. Klaue explained he was aware of who the pair were, noting that he was saddened to hear of the death of Wolfgang von Strucker, teasing the pair when he noticed that they were not aware of Strucker's murder. Klaue continued to mock and belittle the pair before stating he only deals with the man-in-charge of their organisation.
The man-in-charge turned out to be the Artificial Intelligence robot named Ultron, who threw Klaue from his office window and told him that there was no man in charge and that he needed his Vibranium for his new body. Seeing himself to be vastly outmatched by the two enhanced soldiers and the robotic warrior, Klaue relented to Ultron's demands and, with his mercenary by his side, opening his safe containing the Vibranium he had stolen from Wakanda.
Dealing with Ultron
Klaue handed Ultron the Vibranium he required, but reminded him of its incredible worth and the personal cost he had been through to get it, having been branded by T'Chaka's soldiers. Ultron responded by filling Klaue's bank account with billions of dollars, which he hacked from financial databases on the internet. Their alliance was cut short when Klaue noted that Ultron was quoting Tony Stark, questioning if he was another one of Stark's robotic designs.
This comment caused Ultron to go into a rage as he deemed it an insult to be compared to the Iron Legion. Without warning, Ultron sliced off Klaue's left arm, only for the limb to be cauterized from bleeding due to Ultron's heated metal hand; Ultron then apologized immediately while Klaue and his Mercenary could only stare in horror at the assault, unable to comprehend what happened. Ultron's rage continued however as he kicked Klaue down the stairs.
Knowing he stood no chance in a battle with Ultron, Klaue made his escape. When the Avengers then arrived to confront Ultron and the Maximoff twins, Klaue escaped the scene, clutching the remainder of his amputated arm. Klaue ordered his own soldiers to kill both the Avengers, Ultron and the Maximoff twins, leading to a battle in which Ultron had escaped with the Vibranium and Klaue's soldiers were quickly defeated by the combined efforts of the Avengers.
- "I only deal with the man in charge."
- ―Ulysses Klaue
Ulysses Klaue often acts manic in nature due to his thick accent and tendency to trail off in his thoughts, such as his curiosity with cuttlefish while talking to the Maximoff twins. Conversely, Klaue has shown to be a ruthless arms dealer in negotiation and also a difficult person to intimidate. Therefore, he has since made it his motto to only deal with the "man in charge" which can be witnessed by his lack of fear in Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch despite their enhanced abilities due to realizing they were taking orders from someone else. However, Klaue showed some fear when surprise attacked by Ultron.
Powers and Abilities
After losing his arm due to Ultron and replacing it with a prosthetic, Klaue acquired a number of powers.
- Strength Enhancement: The cybernetic arm gives Klaue some degree of enhanced strength.
- Energy Projection: The arm is capable of projecting a laser onto a target from a port in the wrist.
- Expert Assassin: Klaue worked as an assassin for hire, being hired to kill T'Chaka at the Bilderberg Conference. He accepted not only for the money, but due to his personal feud against the Black Panther for killing his great-grandfather in the 19th century.
- Expert Thief: Klaue managed to steal Vibranium from Wakanda; although he got branded as a thief, he was not arrested.
- Ulysses Klaue's Prosthetic Arm: After losing his left arm because of Ultron, Klaue replaced it with a new prosthetic, which also incorporates an advanced sonic cannon, used by the Wakandans for mining purposes.
- Beretta 90two: Klaue used this gun as his personal sidearm, but it was taken and dismantled by Pietro Maximoff to prevent him from using it.
- In the comics, Ulysses Klaw, or simply Klaw, was the killer of King T'Chaka, and lost his right arm after a fight with Black Panther. He replaced his missing limb with a prosthetic sonic emitter, and was transformed in a living construct of sonic vibrations eventually.
- Klaue claims to be terrified of cuttlefish. He even stated that a documentary on cuttlefish terrified him.
- Klaue's S.H.I.E.L.D. file explains that he was born in the Netherlands and was a former member of the Intelligencia.
Behind the Scenes
- Klaue's S.H.I.E.L.D. file has exactly the same content as his Marvel Database entry.
- Chadwick Boseman describes Klaue as a threat to Wakanda, as one of the few outsiders to enter the country and his access to Vibranium, comparing him to Osama bin Laden.
- Paul Kulik and David Conk were stunt doubles for Andy Serkis in the role of Ulysses Klaue.