- "Is this your first time intimidating someone? I’m afraid that I’m not that afraid."
"Everybody’s afraid of something."
"Cuttlefish. Deep sea fish. They make lights. Disco lights. Whoom, whoom, whoom! to hypnotize their prey, then whoom! I saw a documentary, it was terrifying."
- ―Ulysses Klaue and Wanda Maximoff
Ulysses Klaue is a black-market arms dealer, smuggler and gangster operating out of South Africa. He is a former acquaintance of Tony Stark from his weapons-dealing days. During an encounter with Ultron, Klaue sold his stockpile of Vibranium to the A.I. before losing his arm in an argument with Ultron.
Attack on T'Chaka
- "Don't tell me your man swindled you; I sent you six short range heat-seekers and got a boat full of rusty parts. Now you will make it right or the next missile I send you will come very much faster... Now Minister, where were we?"
- ―Ulysses Klaue
Working as an arms dealer in South Africa, Klaue had met Tony Stark during a weapons conference, although the pair never made a deal. His other dealings involved the HYDRA leader Baron Wolfgang von Strucker. Some time after this encounter, Klaue stole large amounts of Vibranium from Wakanda. He managed to get the metal out of the country, but he was caught and had the word "thief" burnt into his neck in their native language.
Klaue was paid ten million dollars to assassinate T'Chaka, the then-ruler of Wakanda, at the Bilderberg Conference in the case that he refused to negotiate Wakanda's resources including Vibranium. Klaue took the job as he had a personal reason, due to his great-grandfather being killed in the 19th century while trying to annex Wakanda. This put Klaue on S.H.I.E.L.D.'s radar as a potential threat to world security. Klaue continued focusing his efforts on weapons dealing.
Encounter with Ultron
Threatened by the Maximoffs
While in his ship in the Salvage Yard, Klaue was on the phone with one of his buyers, threatening him for selling him poor quality missiles before hanging up and continuing another conversation with a minister about their deal. Before he could conclude his deal, the lights in the facility were cut out; Klaue took a handgun and readied himself for a firefight. Before he could react, Pietro Maximoff ran into the room and disarmed him, leaving the bullets on Klaue's desk.
Klaue found himself face to face with Pietro and Wanda Maximoff. Klaue remained confident, mocking the pair for their youth. Klaue explained he was aware of who the pair were, noting that he was saddened to hear of the death of Wolfgang von Strucker, teasing the pair when he noticed that they were not aware of Strucker's murder. Klaue continued to mock and belittle the pair before stating he only deals with the man-in-charge of their organisation.
The man-in-charge turned out to be the Artificial Intelligence robot named Ultron, who threw Klaue from his office window and told him that there was no man in charge and that he needed his Vibranium for his new body. Seeing himself to be vastly outmatched by the two enhanced soldiers and the robotic warrior, Klaue relented to Ultron's demands and, with Klaue's Mercenary by his side, opening his safe containing the Vibranium he had stolen from Wakanda.
Dealing with Ultron
Klaue handed Ultron the Vibranium he required, but reminded him of its incredible worth and the personal cost he had been through to get it, having been branded by T'Chaka's soldiers. Ultron responded by filling Klaue's bank account with billions of dollars, which he hacked from financial databases on the internet. Their alliance was cut short when Klaue noted that Ultron was quoting Tony Stark, questioning if he was another one of Stark's incredible designs.
This comment caused Ultron to go into a fit of rage as he deemed it an insult to be compared to Stark. Without warning, Ultron sliced off Klaue's left arm, only for the limb to be cauterized from bleeding due to Ultron's heated metal hand; Ultron apologized immediately after the attack. Klaue could only stare in horror at the assault, unable to comprehend what had happened. Ultron's rage continued to build however as he kicked Klaue down the stairs.
Knowing he stood no chance in a battle with Ultron, Klaue made his escape. When the Avengers then arrived to confront Ultron and the Maximoff twins, Klaue escaped the scene, clutching his bleeding wound. Klaue furiously ordered his soldiers to kill both the Avengers, Ultron and the Maximoff twins, leading to a fierce battle in which Ultron escaped with the Vibranium and Klaue's soldiers were quickly defeated by the combined efforts of the Avengers.
This section requires expansion
Klaue seemed to be a little bit mental from the way he talks and the way he acts. He was also an assassin and a thief. If he was attacked by many people at once, he will order his men to attack everybody at that time. But he claimed to be terrified of Cuttlefish.
- Expert Assassin: Klaue worked as an assassin for hire, being hired to kill T'Chaka at the Bilderberg Conference. He accepted not only for the money, but due to his personal feud against the Black Panther for killing his great-grandfather in the 19th century.
- Expert Thief: Klaue managed to steal Vibranium from Wakanda; although he got branded as a thief, he was not arrested.
- Beretta 90two: Klaue used this gun as his personal sidearm, but it was taken and dismantled by Pietro Maximoff to prevent him from using it.
- Great-grandfather †
- Intelligencia - Former Member
- Wolfgang von Strucker † - Acquaintance
- Klaue's Mercenary - Subordinate
- T'Chaka † - Target
- Ultron †
- Pietro Maximoff †
- Wanda Maximoff
- In the comics, Klaw, who was the killer of Black Panther's father T'Chaka, wears a sonic emitter as a prosthetic for his right hand. However, this Klaw suffers the casualty on the opposite limb, losing his entire left arm.
- Klaue claims to be terrified of cuttlefish. He even stated that a documentary on cuttlefish terrified him.
- Klaue's S.H.I.E.L.D. file explains that he was born in the Netherlands and was a former member of the Intelligencia.
Behind the Scenes
- Klaue's S.H.I.E.L.D. file has exactly the same content as his Marvel Database entry.