The War Machine Armor: Mark I (also known as the JRXL-1000 Variable Threat Response Battle Suit) is the heavily weaponized armor used by James Rhodes, who became known as the War Machine. It was originally Tony Stark's Mark II armor that was confiscated and heavily modified with a variety of weapons and armor additions.
- "You've been very busy. You made your girl your CEO, you're giving away all your stuff. You let your friend fly away with your suit. Now, if I didn't know better..."
"You don't know better. I didn't give it to him. He took it."
"Whoa, whoa, whoa. He took it? You're Iron Man and he just took it? The little brother walked in there, kicked your ass and took your suit? Is that possible?"
- ―Nick Fury to Tony Stark
Following the fight, Rhodes took the armor to Edwards Air Force Base to turn the armor over the U.S. Air Force under his personal supervision. Rhodes' superiors then made the decision to call in Justin Hammer to weaponize the suit with a variety of top of the line firearms provided by Hammer Industries. After the armor had been weaponized and modified, Hammer and the military took the armor to the Stark Expo so that it could be presented alongside Hammer Industries' new Iron Man inspired Hammer Drones.
After being tipped off about a looming attack by his enemy, Ivan Vanko, Stark arrived in his latest armor, the Mark VI, to reclaim the Mark II and confront his foes. Stark attempted to force Hammer to reveal Vanko's location, as well as convince Rhodes to help him in his mission. However, Vanko took control of the War Machine armor and the Hammer Drones, sending them to kill Stark. The War Machine Armor, running on a remote autopilot, chased the Mark VI through the skies around the Expo until it was beaten in combat by the Mark VI. Eventually with the help of Natasha Romanoff, Rhodes was able to regain control of the armor and help Stark defeat the rest of the Hammer Drones and Vanko, who arrived in his Whiplash Mark II armor.
Following the battle, Rhodes took the armor for "security purposes" without complete objection from Stark. Later, the armor was stripped of all Hammer's modifications by Stark, considering it an insult to his own tech, reverting it to the Iron Man MK II, and he created a new custom-made War Machine armor for his best friend.
With its basis being the MK II armor, it gives the wearer super strength, reflexes, durability, and flight. Upon being handed over to Justin Hammer, it was weaponized, up-armored, and renamed the Variable Threat Response Battle Suit. Besides being able to use its repulsors as offensive weapons, the suit is armed to the teeth with weaponry such as a minigun attached to its back, combat rifles attached to its forearms, and a missile launcher stored in its shoulder. It was also given additional armor plating. To counterbalance the extra weight caused by the various added weapons and armor, extra thrusters were added to both calves to allow for flight on a level comparable to the Iron Man Armors from the Mark II onwards. The suit comes with a suite of onboard combat analysis software including radar tracking and auto-targeting systems. It can also be controlled via a remote A.I. system.
- Repulsors: Like most Iron Man armors, the War Machine armor can use its flight repulsors to fire powerful concussive energy blasts.
- M134 7.62mm Minigun: The MK I's most iconic weapon. A 7.62x51mm, six barrel, medium machine gun capable of firing 6,000 rounds per minute. It is attached to the back of the suit on an articulating robotic arm. Using an auto-targeting system, it can fire on its own, even behind the user, allowing for near 360 degrees of coverage.
- Two FN F2000 Tacticals: 5.56x45mm NATO ammunition, bullpup assault rifles. Modified to attach to each of the suit's forearms and loaded with extended magazines to allow for long periods of continuous fire without needing to reload.
- Sidewinder "Ex-Wife" Self-Guided Missile: A miniature kinetic-kill bunker busting missile made exclusively by Hammer Industries. Mounted in a concealed launcher on the suits left shoulder.
- Claride Hi-Tec: 9x19mm, Semi-Automatic Pistol.
- M24 Shotgun (Variant Proprietary to Hammer): 12-gauge, bolt-action shotgun made exclusively by Hammer Industries. It has a barrel length of 180mm, with a five-round magazine and a double action trigger.
- Milkor MGL 40mm Grenade Launcher: 40mm grenade ammunition, 6-round revolving cylinder.
- While Rhodes ordered Hammer to attach all the weaponry Hammer presented to the War Machine armor, Rhodes is never seen using the Hi-Tec pistol, M24 shotgun, nor the Milkor grenade launcher; nor do they appear to be attached anywhere on the suit.
- After Hammer Industries modified the armor into the War Machine Mark I armor, the color of the suit's visor display changes from blue to green. Its external visor lights also change from blue to red.
- The suit was not properly calibrated to Rhodes' physiology; Stark stated Rhodes was lucky it did not cause him to suffer a heart attack.
- The markings on the War Machine Armor: Mark I's shoulder "ED 445 FLTS" is a Tail code designation of the 445th Flight Test Squadron stationed at Edwards Air Force Base, California.
- Promotional art depicts the War Machine MK I's arc reactor light as red, while in the movie it remains white.
- Prior to the release of Iron Man 2, an alternate take on a potential cinematic War Machine armor was included in Hasbro's toyline for the first movie.
| Mark I • Mark II • Mark III • Mark IV • Mark V • Mark VI • Mark VII|
Mark VIII • Mark IX • Mark X • Mark XI • Mark XII • Mark XIII • Mark XIV • Mark XV • Mark XVI • Mark XVII •
Mark XVIII • Mark XIX • Mark XX • Mark XXI • Mark XXII • Mark XXIII • Mark XXIV • Mark XXV • Mark XXVI •
Mark XXVII • Mark XXVIII • Mark XXIX • Mark XXX • Mark XXXI • Mark XXXII • Mark XXXIII • Mark XXXIV •
Mark XXXV • Mark XXXVI • Mark XXXVII • Mark XXXVIII • Mark XXXIX • Mark XL • Mark XLI
Mark XLII • Mark XLIII • Mark XLIV/Veronica • Mark XLV • Mark XLVI • Mark XLVII • Mark XLIX • Mark L
|Mark I • Mark II/Iron Patriot • Mark III • Mark IV|
|Mark I • Mark II|
|Tech Suit • Iron Spider Armor|