|Real Name||James Buchanan Barnes|
|Age||97 (biologically 28)|
|Date of Birth||March 10, 1917|
|Affiliation|| United States Armed Forces (former)|
Howling Commandos (former)
|Movie|| Captain America: The First Avenger|
Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Captain America: Civil War (unreleased)
|TV series|| Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.|
|Game|| Captain America: Super Soldier|
Captain America: The Winter Soldier - The Official Game
|Comic|| Captain America: First Vengeance|
Captain America: The First Avenger Adaptation
|Portrayed by||Sebastian Stan|
James Buchanan "Bucky" Barnes was a soldier and the childhood friend of Steve Rogers. During World War II, he became a member of the Howling Commandos. They attacked many HYDRA bases together. During a battle on a HYDRA train, Bucky was attacked and fell off the train. He was then assumed to be deceased, but he actually survived, though he lost his left arm. Brainwashed and armed with a new cybernetic limb, he eventually became a HYDRA operative known as the Winter Soldier. Over the next decades, he would assassinate everyone who posed a threat to HYDRA, spending time between missions in a cryo-sleep. However, when he was sent to kill the S.H.I.E.L.D. director Nick Fury, he was confronted by his old friend, Steve Rogers, which caused him to start remembering who he really was.
- "Thank you Buck, but I can get by on my own."
"The thing is, you don't have to. I'm with you till the end of the line, pal."
- ―Steve and Bucky after Sarah Rogers' funeral
In 1941, Steve's mother, Sarah Rogers, died of pneumonia. After her funeral, Bucky tried to help Steve, but he refused, saying he could get by on his own. He told him he didn't have to because he was with him "till the end of the line", something Steve would keep to heart for a long time.
World War IIEdit
Years later, during an art class Bucky and Steve found out that America had joined the Second World War. Over the next two weeks he trained Steve at Goldie's Boxing Gym. They visited the US Recruiting and Induction Center in New York City where Steve was classified as 4F and rejected from service. Bucky was later drafted in the Army.
- "This isn't a back alley, Steve. It's war!"
- ―Bucky to Steve Rogers
Eventually, Barnes rose to the rank of Sergeant. The day before his shipment out to England, Bucky defended his friend Steve from being beat up by a bully. Bucky and Steve then went to the Stark Expo on a double date with Connie and Bonnie; though Bucky was having fun, Steve was interested in enlisting for the fifth time. Despite Bucky's protests Steve went through with it but said goodbye to Bucky before doing so. Bucky and his unit the 107th then shipped to England the next day.
Prisoner of WarEdit
- "I thought you were dead."
"I thought you were smaller."
- ―Captain America and Bucky Barnes
On the battlefields of Europe, Bucky and his men were ambushed by the Germans at Azzano and captured by HYDRA. They were sent to work at the HYDRA weapons facility in the Austrian Alps, halfway between Kitzbühel and Klagenfurt.
In October 1943, he met other Allied POWs: Jacques Dernier, Dum Dum Dugan, Gabe Jones, and James Montgomery Falsworth. During his stay in the facility, he was viciously beaten by the commander of the compound, Colonel Lohmer. However, other prisoners organized "an accident" which resulted in Lohmer's death.
Bucky and his friends worked on parts of the Valkyrie, the giant super bomber. Bucky became too weak to continue and he was taken to an isolation clinic. In November 1943, Rogers (who had become Captain America) infiltrated the facility, freed the prisoners and Bucky too. During the escape Bucky and Rogers encountered Johann Schmidt and Arnim Zola. Rogers and Bucky were able to escape them and the facility before it blew and walked all the way back to Colonel Chester Phillips' base in Italy, 30 miles out.
Eventually, Bucky, Dum Dum Dugan, Jacques Dernier, Gabe Jones, Jim Morita, and James Montgomery Falsworth joined Captain America in his crusade against the Nazis and HYDRA, forming an elite group of fighters known as the Howling Commandos. Over the following months, Bucky, Rogers, and the Commandos progressively destroyed most major HYDRA operations, preventing Johann Schmidt and Arnim Zola any real ability to work on their scientific projects and plans. Bucky also participated in Captain America's raid on Castle Zemo where they destroyed the gigantic robot called the Sleeper.
In the winter of 1945, Bucky and Captain America boarded a HYDRA train carrying Arnim Zola. Bucky takes Captain America's shield and blocks him while he's down, but clearly not having the upper body strength to hold on to it when getting hit it shoots him out the side of the train. He was hanging on to a rail on the outside of the train, but it broke before Rogers was able to save him, which resulted in Bucky falling into an icy river below.
Found by HYDRAEdit
- "Sergeant Barnes... the procedure has already started. You are to be the new fist of HYDRA!"
- ―Arnim Zola
Surviving the fall from Arnim Zola's train, although missing his arm, Bucky was found by Soviet soldiers some time later. He eventually ended up in HYDRA custody. From experiments performed on him during his time as a HYDRA prisoner, Bucky had been given some form of the Super Soldier Serum which may have contributed to his survival.
In the care of the newly recreated HYDRA now working underneath S.H.I.E.L.D.'s nose, Barnes underwent further experimentation at the hands of Arnim Zola and various other doctors. Removing the remnants of his severed arm, the doctors replaced the missing limb with a prosthetic one. Bucky was also subjected to multiple mind control methods to keep him under their command. Over time Bucky would lose all memory of his former life and became nothing more than a weapon.
With the intention of using Barnes as their personal weapon, HYDRA had him frozen in suspended animation to prevent him from aging after every mission.
The Winter SoldierEdit
The Winter Soldier would remain frozen for long periods of time until HYDRA saw fit to unfreeze him for certain missions. Over the next 50 years, the Winter Soldier would be responsible for countless assassinations including political parties. Due to his expertise on the field and the shadowy nature of his existence, the Winter Soldier became something of a Ghost Story with Intelligence Agencies doubting he even existed.
Encounter with the Black WidowEdit
In 2009 HYDRA's personal assassin, the Winter Soldier was sent to kill a nuclear scientist. He found his target being escorted by S.H.I.E.L.D. Agent, Natasha Romanoff. Without hesitation, he attacked his target, sending him and Romanoff over a cliff. Finding Romanoff saved the target from falling to his death, the Winter Soldier fired a single round through Romanoff's stomach and into the scientist, effectively killing him. He then made his getaway without pursuit.
- "Best friends since childhood, Bucky Barnes and Steven Rogers where inseparable on both schoolyard and battlefield. Barnes is the only Howling Commando to give his life in service of his country."
- ―A recording played in the Captain America Exhibit in the Smithsonian Institution
Almost seventy years after the end of World War II, Steve Rogers, awakened in the 21st century, studied S.H.I.E.L.D.'s files about the Commandos. In Bucky's file, he was reported as "Missing in action", as his corpse was never found and therefore he was never officially classified as deceased.2014, the Winter Soldier was activated to kill Nick Fury after he began to unravel HYDRA's secret existence. When Fury managed to escape death at the hands of over a dozen HYDRA agents in Washington, D.C., Barnes arrived and disabled Fury's car using a special grenade. However, when he made his way to the vehicle to finish Fury, he found his target had used a laser to escape his car and into the sewers.
He later located Fury at Steve Rogers' apartment and shot him multiple times through the wall from another building. While making his escape, Rogers gave chase and tried to subdue Barnes with his shield only for the Winter Soldier to catch it and throw it back.
Hunting Captain AmericaEdit
- "Most of the intelligence community doesn't believe he exists. The ones that do call him the Winter Soldier. He's a ghost. You'll never find him."
- ―Black Widow
Instead of being returned to cryo-sleep, the Winter Soldier was later sent to Alexander Pierce's house for his next orders. His next targets were Steve Rogers and Natasha Romanoff who were attempting to reveal HYDRA's plan to wipe out over a million targets using S.H.I.E.L.D.'s Helicarriers.
The next day he attacked Rogers, Romanoff, and Sam Wilson on the freeway while they were kidnapping HYDRA sleeper agent, Jasper Sitwell. Throwing Sitwell from the car into an incoming truck, the Winter Soldier destroyed the car and forced it off the road. When he fired a missile at his targets, Rogers deflected it and went flying off the bridge into a bus below. Instead engaging Romanoff, Barnes began pursuing her through the streets of Washington, D.C. only to be ambushed. After shooting Romanoff through the shoulder, the Winter Soldier was attacked by Rogers before he could assassinate her.
The two engaged in a brutal one-on-one fight, both rivaling each other with every move. In the midst of the fight, Rogers ripped the Soldier's mask off and stared in disbelief. Recognizing him as Bucky Barnes, Rogers brought the Soldier to a stand still. Swiftly raising his gun to take a shot, the Winter Soldier was suddenly knocked to the ground by Sam Wilson and forced to flee while HYDRA agents captured Rogers, Romanoff and Wilson.
Back at Base, Bucky became erratic and violent towards the doctors. After they repaired his arm, he began to remember fragments from his past including his fall from the train and the operations performed on him by Arnim Zola.
Alexander Pierce arrived at the Base to obtain Barnes' mission report only to find Barnes in a state of disarray. Claiming that he knew Steve Rogers some how, Barnes was forced to undergo further mind alterations to force his cooperation.
The following day, before HYDRA could complete their goal and activate the Helicarriers, Rogers and company infiltrated the Triskelion and revealed HYDRA's presence to his fellow agents who actively engaged in battle with HYDRA's undercover agents.
In the ensuing chaos, Bucky slew a path through the open airfield, murdering pilots and destroying Quinjets. He flew a Quinjet to the third Helicarrier, where he ambushed Rogers and Sam Wilson. He shoved Rogers off the Helicarrier, destroyed Wilson's flight suit and threw him off the Helicarrier. The Winter Soldier went to confront Rogers himself before he could reboot the Helicarrier's Target System. As the two stood opposite one another, Rogers pleaded with his former best friend for him to remember him. Ignoring these pleas, Barnes engaged Rogers once again.
Trying to obtain the Targeting Chip from Barnes, Rogers broke Barnes' arm and injured his leg before subduing him. The Winter Soldier however regained consciousness before Rogers could reach the System Override and shot him multiple times. Despite this, Rogers managed to swap the Data Chips and had S.H.I.E.L.D. Agent Maria Hill have the three Helicarriers target each other, even with himself aboard one.As the Carrier began to fall apart in mid-air, the Winter Soldier became trapped under debris. A badly injured Rogers leaped to his friend's aid and freed him. Begging for Bucky to remember him, Rogers let his shield drop to the Earth and refused to fight. Barnes refused to listen and violently began beating Rogers to a pulp as their surroundings began to deteriorate.
As the Winter Soldier claimed Rogers to be his mission, Steve quoted something Bucky said to him more than 70 years prior after his mother's funeral. Memories flooded to the surface, as Bucky relented, unwilling to throw another punch. The surface beneath them fell away and Rogers plummeted into the river below. Bucky quickly grabbed on to a metal beam allowing him to stay on the Hellicarrier. Realizing that Steve truly was his friend, Bucky let go of the beam and leaped in after Steve and pulled him ashore, saving his old friend's life. After saving him, Bucky quickly checked to see if Steve was still breathing. After he discovered he was, he began slowly walking off into the nearby woods, going on a mission to discover his true identity. Some time later, Barnes visited the Smithsonian Institution's Captain America Exhibit and stared at his past life, remembering who he was.
Powers and AbilitiesEdit
- "He's fast. Strong. Had a metal arm."
- ―Captain America
After Bucky fell into a trench in an ice mountain, he was saved and given a metal arm, along with some other enhanced abilities from a serum that had similar effect to the human body to the Super Soldier Serum given to Steve Rogers.
- Enhanced Strength: The Winter Soldier has strength that is equal to Captain America's. Bucky's strength was greatly boosted by serum given to him by HYDRA scientists. The Winter Soldier's physical strength is enhanced to superhuman levels. He has used his legs and flesh arm to kick and punch others with a display of strength that far surpasses normal humans and closely resembles Captain America's own abilities.
- Bionic Arm: HYDRA also removed the remnants of his severed left arm and replaced the missing limb with a cybernetic one. The bionic arm gives him enhanced strength superior to that of Captain America. The Winter Soldier was able to rip open a S.H.I.E.L.D. armor SUV, rip apart Falcon's EXO-7 suit, and smash concrete by punching it.
- Enhanced Speed: The Winter Soldier's speed is comparable to Captain America's. It should be noted that Captain America can run at 26 miles per hour with relative ease, and still had trouble keeping up with the Winter Soldier in a chase sequence.
- Enhanced Durability: The Winter Soldier's bones and muscles are denser and harder than normal, to the highest human potential, which makes him very durable compared to a normal human. Zola's experiments fortified his form to the extent that he survived a high fall in the Eastern Alps that would have been fatal to an ordinary man. Also he was able to leap from the bridge to the top of a car and land without any apparent injury. The roof of the car was not as lucky, being cracked by his landing.
- Enhanced Stamina: The Winter Soldier's musculature produces less fatigue toxins during physical activity than the musculature of an ordinary human.
- Enhanced Reflexes & Agility: The Winter Soldier's reflexes and agility is superior of a ordinary human. When Steve throws his shield at him while he was chasing after him, he easily catches it with his cybernetic arm and throws it back at him.
- Enhanced Healing: The Winter Soldier's healing speed and efficiency is at the highest limits of human potential, which means he can heal faster than most humans.
- Slowed Aging Process: Extended periods of cryonic preservation dramatically slowed Bucky's overall aging process. Despite being in his late nineties, he continues to retain the physical condition and appearance of an average man in his twenties. He was in the same age group as Steve.
- Master Combatant: The Winter Soldier is a highly trained martial artist and excels at improvisation and weapons handling. Receiving vast training from HYDRA, Bucky became a master assassin that can slaughter dozens of enemies alone, take out highly skilled combatants such as Falcon and Black Widow with relative ease, and go toe to toe with Captain America. The two engaged in a brutal one-on-one fight, both rivaling each other with every move. The Winter Soldier also single-handedly killed up to a dozen well-armed Quinjet pilots in a single encounter and escaped uninjured.
- Expert Marksman: Bucky was a remarkably precise shot, even prior to being turned into the Winter Soldier. As the Winter Soldier, he became an even more deadly marksman. The Winter Soldier fired a single round through Natasha Romanoff's stomach and into a nuclear scientist that she was protecting, killing him. The Winter Soldier is also capable of making long range shots without the use of a rifle, for example shooting Nick Fury multiple times through the wall of Steve's apartment and from the top of another building.
- Expert Pilot: The Winter Soldier was able to "hijack" a Quinjet after killing the pilot.
- Uniform: HYDRA designed a lightweight tactical suit for Bucky, attempting to conceal his true identity from the world. The uniform is constructed from nomex thread and kevlar fiber. The lightweight suit provides resistance to small arms fire, and has advanced flexibility for close quarters combat.
- Weaponry: While working for HYDRA, the Winter Soldier carried a vast array of weapons for combat, adapting his uniform with customized holsters to carry them. He was also usually handed with extra weapons by his support henchmen.
- Gerber Mark II Combat knife
- SIG-Sauer P220: The Winter Soldier's weapon of choice, a semi-automatic pistol heavily used by armed forces and police of many countries.
- Vz.61 Skorpion: A submachine gun carried on the back of his vest
- Intratec TEC-38 and COP .357 Derringer: Two small guns carried in the right tigh custom holster.
- Colt M4A1 with a M203 Grenade Launcher: A fully automatic carbine intended for special operations use, attached with a grenade launcher.
- FN Mk 13: A grenade launcher customized to fire Magnetic Disk Grenades.
- Milkor MGL: A six-shot revolver-type grenade launcher.
- Captain America - Former Team Leader and Best Friend. Temporary Enemy.
- United States Armed Forces - Former Allies
- HYDRA - Former Allies
- Black Widow - Enemy
- Falcon - Enemy
- In the comics, Bucky had a complicated romantic relationship with Black Widow.
- It was highly likely before being confirmed in Captain America: The Winter Soldier, that while Bucky was captured, Arnim Zola was experimenting with an alternative to the Super Soldier Serum, thus granting Bucky the ability to survive his fall from the train.
- Winter Soldier co-creater, Ed Brubaker appears in Captain America: The Winter Soldier.
- The Winter Soldier proved untrue Howard Stark's quote that HYDRA wouldn't attack Captain America with a pocket knife.
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 1.12 1.13 1.14 1.15 1.16 1.17 1.18 1.19 1.20 1.21 Captain America: The Winter Soldier
- ↑ Captain America: The First Avenger Adaptation, Volume 1
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 Captain America: The First Avenger
- ↑ Captain America: First Vengeance, Volume 1
- ↑ Captain America: The First Avenger Deleted Scene
- ↑ Captain America: First Vengeance, Volume 7
- ↑ Captain America: Super Soldier
- ↑ The Avengers Deleted Scene
- ↑ Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: 1.12: Seeds
- ↑ Captain America: The Winter Soldier Post-credits Scene