The Words of Creation are a three-dimensional map of an underground Kree City. Pieces of the map were found inside the Todorov Building in Belarus, and were later reproduced by John Garrett, Phil Coulson and other patients submitted to Project T.A.H.I.T.I. as a side effect of the GH.325 drug.
The Mystery Begins
- "You need me to translate the Words of Creation."
- ―John Garrett
In 1945, HYDRA General Werner Reinhardt forced a young woman to touch the Obelisk. When she did, he was astounded because it did not petrify her; instead symbols glowed on the artifact until she released it.
Phil Coulson, the agent in charge of the T.A.H.I.T.I. Project, saw the writing when the volunteer test subjects started to experience degenerative effects, with them writing and carving the symbols. However, Coulson had their memories erased to ensure their recovery.
After Skye hijacked the eye implant signal, the S.H.I.E.L.D. Agent Grant Ward completed Akela Amador's infiltration mission given her by HYDRA, using a set of glasses mimicking her eye implant. He found that the target of the infiltration mission inside the Todorov Building was the equation, that was being studied by two men.
After John Garrett was infused with GH.325, he started to display symptoms of insanity. Questioned by Grant Ward, Garrett told him that he was "alive" and "could do anything" while carving the equation on a glass piece inside the Bus with a nail.
Agent Phil Coulson was given the Toolbox by Nick Fury, which led him to the S.H.I.E.L.D. secret facility, the Playground. Later that night, Coulson awakened and began writing the equation on one of the facility walls.
Though he told Melinda May that he was overseas, Phil Coulson was meeting with Andrew Garner, an ex-S.H.I.E.L.D. psychologist and May's ex-husband, because he did not feel comfortable enough to talk to anyone else about the writings.
For a month, Coulson had Skye try to decrypt the symbols that Garrett had written. She looked into the Rising Tide for help to no avail.
Melinda May began to worry about Coulson when, after eighteen days, he had not relieved his need to inscribe the symbols. She photographed his carvings as he wrote on a blackboard in his office in the Playground.
A fire took place, destroying Santa Maria de las Flores; the only artifact that remained untouched was a 500 year old painting. When the priest showed the painting to a bishop, he flipped it to its back and showed the symbols inscribed there. Gabriel Soto held a fundraiser to rebuild the church and Phil Coulson and Melinda May crashed the party to get the painting, not knowing that Sunil Bakshi, impersonating Glenn Talbot, had already taken the painting to his hotel room. Eventually, Coulson got the painting, but learned that the carvings had been made recently. 
Skye saw the symbols scribbled on Coulson's desk. As she was researching the symbols, Lance Hunter told Skye to go to Grant Ward for consultation. When she did, he desperately hoped that she was not the one writing them. Ward told her that John Garrett did it more and more after he was infused with GH.325. This conversation made Skye realize that Coulson was writing the symbols.
When she confronted him on it, he told her that she may be an alien because she was not writing them. Their conversation was interrupted by a phone call from Raina. When they returned from dealing with her, Skye wanted full disclosure and Coulson gave it to her. He was upset that the symbols he wrote were incomprehensible to him. She revealed that she believed the symbols are a map.
Solving the Mystery
This led Coulson to Hank Thompson, who, instead of carving the symbols, made three-dimensional erections of them in his model train track set. During his confrontation at Thompson's home with Sebastian Derik, another Project T.A.H.I.T.I. patient and the killer of Robbins and the others, Coulson saw the track set and realized what the symbols meant. When he showed Derik the train tracks, Derik became docile and cooperative as his quest was answered as well. 
When Coulson returned to the Playground, he had a meeting with his senior agents. He informed them that the symbols had been finally figured out, and his inclination to carve them had gone. He used the Echo Chamber to change the 2-D representation to a three-dimensional one, revealing the symbols to be an alien city.
Upon finding the city beneath Castillo San Cristóbal in San Juan, Puerto Rico, Alphonso Mackenzie went into a shaft to learn why the D.W.A.R.F.s, that were sent to investigate the structural integrity of the city, went off-line. He touched the ground and it began to glow with the symbols. A symbol suddenly appeared on his hand and he screamed in pain.
Using the Words of Creation, Skye deciphered that one of the symbols represented the temple and its location. Before she could tell Phil Coulson its location so he could destroy it, communications on the Bus were hijacked by Daniel Whitehall.
The following is a list of people that have written the symbols of the Words of Creation.
- Janice Robbins
- Lewis Seaver
- Hank Thompson
- S.H.I.E.L.D. Agent
- S.H.I.E.L.D. Agent
- Sebastian Derik
- John Garrett
- Phil Coulson
|Appearances for Words of Creation|
- Next to the symbols seen in the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. episode Eye-Spy, there are also pieces of Skrull language. In the comics, the Skrulls are a shape-shifting race from the Andromeda Galaxy.
- The "miracle painting" with the symbols inscribed on its back that "survived" the fire of the Santa Maria de las Flores church is called Virgin & Child by the Italian Baroque painter Giovanni Battista Salvi da Sassoferrato.
- Due to being of Kree descent, Inhumans do not have the same tendencies to write out the symbols as those who are not of Kree descent.
- The Words of Creation are seen inscribed on the Inhuman Royal Family's walls and on the royal throne.
- ↑ Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: 2.08: The Things We Bury
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: 2.07: The Writing on the Wall
- ↑ Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: 1.11: The Magical Place
- ↑ Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: 1.04: Eye-Spy
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: 1.22: Beginning of the End
- ↑ Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: 2.19: The Dirty Half Dozen
- ↑ Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: 2.01: Shadows
- ↑ Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: 2.02: Heavy is the Head
- ↑ Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: 2.04: Face My Enemy
- ↑ Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: 2.05: A Hen in the Wolf House
- ↑ Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: 2.06: A Fractured House
- ↑ 12.0 12.1 Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: 2.09: Ye Who Enter Here
- ↑ Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: 2.10: What They Become