The Avengers Initiative
- "We'd like to have an open discussion regarding the primary objective of S.H.I.E.L.D. as an agency and of you as its director."
"You're talking about the Tesseract."
"Reigniting the Tesseract. That is correct."
- ―The World Security Council and Nick Fury
When Nick Fury and his men searched for Steve Rogers on Greenland, the Council ordered them to shut down the operation and return to New York City. Twelve hours later, the Council ordered Fury to stop wasting time on "wasteful programs" and focus on reigniting the Tesseract, naming that operation "Project P.E.G.A.S.U.S.". Despite the direct order, Fury decided to continue with his usual activities. A week later, Fury gave them his report about how S.H.I.E.L.D. saved Tony Stark's life, prevented the Army from capturing Bruce Banner, made an alliance with Thor, and recovered the Destroyer. Finally satisfied with Fury's work, the Council decided to increase the funding for the agency, expand jurisdictions for S.H.I.E.L.D.'s agents, and augment Fury's strategic authority.
Soon after the confrontation between the Hulk and Emil Blonsky in Harlem, a request came down from the World Security Council that blame for the incident should be placed on Banner and that Blonsky, who was being held in General Thaddeus Ross' sector, be exonerated for his crimes and placed on the team's roster.
Director Fury did not want Blonsky for the team, but was in no position to disobey a direct order from the council. Hoping to resolve the situation for Fury, Agents Phil Coulson and Jasper Sitwell conspired to sabotage the request by sending in their newly minted consultant Tony Stark to be the one to contact the General.
As planned, Stark's abrasive manner and disdain for authority resulted in Ross not only turning down the request, but also attempting to have Stark forcibly removed from the bar. In response, Stark bought the establishment and had it scheduled for demolition.
The Battle of New York
During the Chitauri invasion of New York City, after careful debilitation, Gideon Malick informed Nick Fury that the Council had decided to order the deployment of a nuclear missile to the area as a last resort to stop the invading force. This plan was delayed when Director Nick Fury of S.H.I.E.L.D. ignored it, then thwarted, between the actions of Fury disabling one fighter jet and Iron Man intercepting the missile of another.
After the crisis had been averted, the Council questioned whether or not Fury had fully thought out the consequences of bringing the Avengers together. However, Fury saw it as a statement, a "promise", to even other worlds, that the Earth had her defenders and was not to be trifled with.
- "If this Council is going to fall to rancor every time someone pushes us on the playing field, maybe we need someone to oversee us."
- ―Alexander Pierce
The Council had just finished a meeting with Pierce when Fury asked him to postpone its launch. Pierce took the proposal to them after he believed that Fury was assassinated and evidence was revealed that Fury was involved with the hijacking of the Lemurian Star, causing them to expedite their plans for the launch.
The Council was called to the Triskelion by Pierce to witness the launch of Project Insight. When Pierce's involvement was exposed by Captain America as a part of HYDRA's infiltration within S.H.I.E.L.D., STRIKE, which was composed of HYDRA members, held the Council hostage, until Black Widow who had been disguised as Councilwoman Hawley, took the HYDRA operatives out.
Councilman Yen took one of the unconscious STRIKE members' guns and held it at Pierce to keep him at bay. He stood by as Nick Fury arrived and as Black Widow released all S.H.I.E.L.D. files to the public. Unnoticed by the others, Pierce moved to his phone and pressed a button and the security badges on the council members' chests exploded, killing them.
- Holographic Projection Room: The members of the council use advanced holographic conferencing equipment to meet in the World Security Council room at the Triskelion and meet with S.H.I.E.L.D. agents from their respective locations around the world.
|Appearances for World Security Council|
In chronological order:
- Following its introduction in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, the World Security Council was introduced in the comics as an organization tasked with oversighting S.H.I.E.L.D. following the reveal of Director Maria Hill using a Cosmic Cube to rewrite reality and trap notorious criminals such as Baron Zemo as regular citizens of a small town called Pleasant Hill.